Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I was just getting ready to roll over and go to sleep. My girl cat was sitting on my nightstand, so I picked her up to put her on my lap, but something happened and she clawed the poo poo out of my hand. She got in two good kicks before my slow brain registered that I needed to let her go. I washed my hands afterwards, but apparently I'm not supposed to put Neosporin or anything like that on cat scratches? They're your standard claw cuts, but there's a good 8-10 of them on the back of my hand.

I'm not sure what happened. She's never really done anything like this before, so I'm just assuming a noise spooked her or maybe I picked her up in a funny way. I rarely trim my cats' rear claws, but I guess I should start doing it more often than I am. Is there any harm in trimming rear claws as often as front claws?

She's pretty cute even though my hand stings. Culprit is on the right:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

DaisyDanger posted:

but apparently I'm not supposed to put Neosporin or anything like that on cat scratches?
the gently caress you can't; put that poo poo on there immediately after washing out the scratches.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Cat pimple is gone from Cassie's ear. I will assume it was just a pimple or a bug bite or something.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Our little rear end in a top hat arrived last night

Ragnar is just over three months and already kinda huge. After half an hour hiding behind the couch he's settled in surprisingly quickly, and adores being held, rumbles like a tiny chainsaw at bellyrubs.

Christ he's going to be massive when he grows up..

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

DaisyDanger posted:

I washed my hands afterwards, but apparently I'm not supposed to put Neosporin or anything like that on cat scratches?

The danger with cat scratches and bites is that they can be deep and there's a chance of infection that topical antibiotics might not reach. If it's your cat and she's healthy and has had her shots, you'll probably be ok with just washing and using a cream. But if the scratches start to swell and you see red coloring around the wounds, then go to the doctors immediately.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks, she's up-to-date with all her shots and I put some Neosporin on them now, but I'm keeping an eye on them anyway.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
How do I know when my cat is ready to meet the new six month old kitten? He accidentally saw the new guy when we first brought him home on Sunday while i was carrying him to the bedroom and was not happy about it but we have kept them separate since with plenty of one sided hissing at the door. He is getting better because he used to immediately hiss at anything that smelled like kitten including us but now he will tolerate it at least for a little while. The new kitten is very curious about who keeps hissing at him and doesn't seem deterred.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

DaisyDanger posted:

Thanks, she's up-to-date with all her shots and I put some Neosporin on them now, but I'm keeping an eye on them anyway.

Related to this, pick up a small bottle of Hibiclens for your home if you don't already have it. The stuff works great, and there are still outpatient facilities that use it as a prep scrub for minor surgical procedures. You can pick it up virtually anywhere, including your local pharmacy, (Walgreens or CVS if you're in the US), in addition to good 'ole Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Hibiclens-Antimicrobial-Liquid-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B00EV1D79A/ref=pd_sim_indust_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=097QS56HND3KK58DDG6P

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I'm heading to Target here in a bit, so I'll check to see if they have any. Thanks!

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Help!
Before leaving for work yesterday my one eyed kitty had a large amount of mucus in corner of his eye.
When I got home that evening his eye was very watery and he keeps squinting.This morning is the same.
He isn't sneezing or anything so I don't think it's a cold. Is this a vet worthy emergency?

EDIT:
Kitty pink eye.
Gotta do drops twice a day. FUN!

Slybo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 4, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Need some advice on a cat training/herding situation.

I'm a first time cat owner, having just this week taken in Trigger, 6-year-old late-spayed female, as a foster kitty. I became her foster dad because she knows me pretty well already, and I have space. I've read the faq/nutrition thread and such, so I'm not at point zero anymore. She has been here for a few days, is eating and drinking very little (but some, not none), and she's starting to get comfortable in her new home - coming out from behind the couch, chilling withe me, using her litter box, climbing on stuff, and so forth.

So far I've been keeping doors closed for rooms in which I don't want Trigger to get to comfortable - in particular, I don't want her in the habit of nesting under my roommate's bed. This is because there's a second foster kitty, Cashew, a youngish-spayed female who my roommate is adopting, on the way.

Is there any reasonable way, once I've gotten the cats used to each other (which I don't think will take long as they're both pretty passive and chill cats), to have them each have their "own room"? I want Trigger to stay more or less out of the roommate's room, and Cashew to more or less prefer that space. I've seen cats with this kind of behaviour before, but I just don't have any ideas as to how to encourage it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Slybo posted:

Help!
Before leaving for work yesterday my one eyed kitty had a large amount of mucus in corner of his eye.
When I got home that evening his eye was very watery and he keeps squinting.This morning is the same.
He isn't sneezing or anything so I don't think it's a cold. Is this a vet worthy emergency?

EDIT:
Kitty pink eye.
Gotta do drops twice a day. FUN!

At least he only has one eye you have to do?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Is there any reasonable way, once I've gotten the cats used to each other (which I don't think will take long as they're both pretty passive and chill cats), to have them each have their "own room"? I want Trigger to stay more or less out of the roommate's room, and Cashew to more or less prefer that space. I've seen cats with this kind of behaviour before, but I just don't have any ideas as to how to encourage it.

If they end up being cat buddies then I don't think there's really much way of keeping them having separate territories and I don't see any reason to try and encourage it. If they don't like each other (and neither of them are aggressive or prone to bullying the other) than based on my experience of living with two cats who don't like each other they'll naturally decide that the room that they've spent a lot of time in getting used to the house is Their Room. The room we kept our younger cat in when she was introduced into the house is very definitely her territory, she goes there when she's scared and sleeps there a lot generally and the other cat only goes in there if she feels like she has a very good reason to.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Well, while the ear pimple went away, I noticed some missing hair on Cassie's cheek, and underneath was kind of red and scabby looking. So she's going to the vet on Monday.

... now I just need to grab a cat carrier.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
After 5 grueling weeks of failed cat introductions (my two to the GF's two), we bought a CAT TENT. The resident tabbies hang out in the cat tent in the living room, and the new girls sit and stare at them. Progress!

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Has anyone ever had a home visit? We are looking in to adopting another cat and it said they will need to do a home visit first. What exactly does that mean or rather what does it involve? Do they go through every room or just a quick inspection? Do they look at the state of your other animals?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

When I had a home visit from the RSPCA before they'd let us adopt our cats, it consisted of a lady coming to our house to see how much space we had and how secure the house/garden was. She asked us some questions about the house, about our work patterns and what our plans for vet care/health insurance were. She didn't actually see anything but the living room, took a glance out at the garden at most. YMMV of course, but it wasn't exactly a thorough inspection.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Pendergast posted:

Has anyone ever had a home visit? We are looking in to adopting another cat and it said they will need to do a home visit first. What exactly does that mean or rather what does it involve? Do they go through every room or just a quick inspection? Do they look at the state of your other animals?

Our rescue does home visits. It's basically to just check the home is suitable for an animal and make suggestions as to which one might be best suited off the back of it. Like seeing how much space there is, how many rooms the cat will be able to live in (we get people who have a 2 bedroom flat say, 2 young kids, dogs and want a couple of kittens). It's what sort of access they'd have if any to outdoors and what sort of location if they are to go out (people ring up looking for a cat but you only find out by digging that they're trying to replace the 4th in a row to get crushed on the road outside).

So don't sweat the visit, you're not being checked for cleanliness or suitability as such. They will want to talk to you as well to be sure you know what you're getting into: vet costs, food requirements, litter, toys etc. Obviously though if they walk in and stand on week old encrusted poo poo then find your half alive dog tied to the wall while you flay it it'll go badly ;)

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
So my cat just threw up, and this is new to me. I'm told this is reasonably common, and it looked like there was some undigested food in the vomit, so I assume my cat just ate too fast. She's now just chillaxing in one of her usual perches and doesn't seem too bothered. Should I be concerned beyond having cleaned it up and being upset about the rug she just ruined?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I would only be worried if it happens regularly.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Yeah, that's what I figured, but I would have kept worrying about it without some reassurance. Thanks.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Here is Shadow Poe:

He's a very particular guy that loves to nap. Pretty scared of strangers as he was a victim of abuse, someone booted him in the face :(. He's a happy cat at home now though, he loves our backyard.

One thing he's very particular about is water. He loves water with ice in it to the point where he will avoid his own water and drink out of anyone's glass that has water in it if he can. He'll even lead you to the kitchen and as you to put ice cubes in his water.

Does anyone else's cat love ice this much?

Also, here is another cat, Ellie or "Little Mew":

She's mighty.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So, I have my second kitty now. They're getting along reasonably well, all things considered, but they're both cats that have wide personal space. Trigger has been a solitary cat for like two years. The new cat, Cashew, previously lived with a really aggressive late-neutered male who would bully the snot out of her, and to hiss would be her signal to her owners that he was getting close. Now she hisses whenever she thinks that Trigger is going to get close (that distance has decreased from "line of sight" to about 5 feet now). Trigger is starting to hiss first now, too, because they're completely stressed around each other, because whenever they see each other hissing breaks out. I can tell that neither cat is going to hurt the other, but that they're both just worried that the other might hurt them. If they're put into close proximity with each other they tend to hiss a bunch and then they slink away in opposite directions.

I've just been letting it go when it starts, and I've only heard one "reer" so far, but this hissing is starting to drive me nuts, especially between 1 and 3 in the morning when they're on opposite corners of my bed. This morning I just grabbed them both when it started and made them shut up, but I'm not sure if this is advisable. Would it be counter-productive to grab a spray bottle (or five) and shoot a cat whenever I hear a hiss?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I got 2 cats.

Thing is, one of my cats is 70 lbs, and craps and pees outside. She also doesn't scratch, or bite, and is a far less picky eater than my other cat (Note: I also post in the greyhound thread).

However, my first cat (an actual 14 lb DSH) has been an indoor cat her entire life. However, she has somehow learned from the other oversize cat that it's fun and awesome to go outside, and she should consider that outside world part of her territory. Like most cats, she has some mad stealth skillz, and will rocket out while I keep the door open for my other slow moving lazy bones to decide if she should go outside and do her business.

Any tips and suggestions for keeping my little indoor cat safe? We have currently shooed her back inside within a few minutes. However, this is not behavior I want to encourage.

Then again, the problem might fix itself. In the words of House Stark, "Winter is coming."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Update as to Cassie's skin issues! I posted a last week about an apparent pimple on her ear and was told not to worry unless she had any hair loss. The pimple was gone by the next day but I did notice some hair loss on her cheek and some scabbiness underneath. I called up the vet, booked her in for today, and googled around to find ringworm as the #1 possibility for what was going on with her.

So she and Maddie both must have been terribly confused at suddenly getting shut out of the bedroom and Cassie's pettings getting less vigorous. :(

But I took her in today and got the all-clear, of ringworm, anyway! Looks to be allergies, and that makes some sense with how they've been ripping up carpets everywhere in the building. She got a couple little shots and bedroom privleges back.

Oh, and she was in fact confirmed as having feline acne on her chin. My little baby has cat zits. :cry:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'm told plastic dishes aggravate cat acne. Maybe get them some metal or glass or glazed clay bowls if you haven't already and be sure to clean them often.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

ascendance posted:

Thing is, one of my cats is 70 lbs, and craps and pees outside.
That's a typo right? 70 pounds of cat? :stare:

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

SperginMcBadposter posted:

That's a typo right? 70 pounds of cat? :stare:

She's talking about her greyhound...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

I'm told plastic dishes aggravate cat acne. Maybe get them some metal or glass or glazed clay bowls if you haven't already and be sure to clean them often.

Both their food bowls are metal, but the water fountain is plastic. Maybe I'll splurge soon on one of the fancy metal Drinkwells.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

neongrey posted:

Both their food bowls are metal, but the water fountain is plastic. Maybe I'll splurge soon on one of the fancy metal Drinkwells.

if you REALLY want to splurge, this guy makes really nice decorative fountains that are safe for cats (and don't have cords that dangle over the side like a lot of home made fountains).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Holy wow, those are gorgeous. But it's nearly seventy dollars to ship to Canada. :(

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommonShore posted:

So, I have my second kitty now. They're getting along reasonably well, all things considered, but they're both cats that have wide personal space. Trigger has been a solitary cat for like two years. The new cat, Cashew, previously lived with a really aggressive late-neutered male who would bully the snot out of her, and to hiss would be her signal to her owners that he was getting close. Now she hisses whenever she thinks that Trigger is going to get close (that distance has decreased from "line of sight" to about 5 feet now). Trigger is starting to hiss first now, too, because they're completely stressed around each other, because whenever they see each other hissing breaks out. I can tell that neither cat is going to hurt the other, but that they're both just worried that the other might hurt them. If they're put into close proximity with each other they tend to hiss a bunch and then they slink away in opposite directions.

I've just been letting it go when it starts, and I've only heard one "reer" so far, but this hissing is starting to drive me nuts, especially between 1 and 3 in the morning when they're on opposite corners of my bed. This morning I just grabbed them both when it started and made them shut up, but I'm not sure if this is advisable. Would it be counter-productive to grab a spray bottle (or five) and shoot a cat whenever I hear a hiss?

Don't sweat the hissing. It's their way of warning of territorial limits - "that's close enough, bub." It will diminish with time as the figure out their relationship.

I guess spraying is OK to get them to do it somewhere else, but they're going to have to hiss it out before it subsides. As long as they're not actually fighting, there's nothing to worry about.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

if you REALLY want to splurge, this guy makes really nice decorative fountains that are safe for cats (and don't have cords that dangle over the side like a lot of home made fountains).

I just got one of those. It's pretty nice, and reasonably quiet. Two of the little rubber feet came off on the first day though.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I'm convinced that my cat has had her rear end kicked by some bird. At least she has a somewhat characteristic wound on her head. I've cleaned it the best I can and even swabbed it with stuff that I use to help me heal wounds (:shrug:)... But it's probably a good idea to visit a vet since she has been sleeping all day and not eating anything? Whad'ya think?

Oh, that metaphor got confused.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Gorgar posted:

I just got one of those. It's pretty nice, and reasonably quiet. Two of the little rubber feet came off on the first day though.

I've had good luck with the feet on ours, though he sent us a little baggie of replacements just in case I think. If he didn't I bet he would if you asked, he was really responsive to my questions when I had assembly issues.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

So my kitten Mulder has a little case of conjunctivitis in one eye. I've been medicating him for two days now but today I noticed that he has a small hard lump under the skin near the corner of the infected eye. I don't recall it being there before, but I could be mistaken. Could this be a result of the conjunctivitis? I'm giving it a couple of days before we go back to the vet.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
One of out cats started puking a few times a night the night before last. We moved up their scheduled vet appointments to this morning because I was worried something might be seriously wrong with her. It seemed to be mostly digested food - brown, but not frothy. It was kind of "surprise" vomiting, not like when they are working on a hairball. Both kitties are fighting off colds they brought home from the shelter as well.

My significant other took them in this morning. Our puker, Pickwick, was running a fever so they gave her some cool fluids while she was in the office. They also gave her an anti-nausea shot (Cerenia). They thought the vomiting was likely from stress, her cold, and a diet change from the shelter. They said to keep feeding her like we had been (free feeding kibble, wet food at night) and if problems continued to come pick up a probiotic from their office.

How long will the effects of that shot last? Should I try to reduce her intake of dry food? Is this fairly common? I will certainly be keeping a close eye on her, but I'm just not sure how concerned I should be.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Had a quick question.

Some bg info: my cat lives with my parents (2000 miles away), is indoor/outdoor and very active (generally in the warmer months when there are fun things to chase she only comes in to sleep and eat) but refuses to come into the house if strangers are there. I haven't been back to see my parents in almost two years and am flying out in the morning- is it likely my cat has already forgotten me? Do cats remember by smell? If so would I smell so significantly different she'd be unable to recognize me?

I think it would be heartbreaking for me to get home and be so excited to see her again only for her to avoid me like the plague.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
From my experience... eh, it's hard to say what's going on inside a cat's head, but if your attitude and behavior haven't changed, the cat is going to behave towards you in the same way as when you last saw her. That I can say almost for sure, although I have to add that there's normally a period of reacquaintance, as for example when cats I hadn't seen in a year were indiscriminate attention seekers, but after a while would wise up to the fact that I was still the same cuddle-meting tyrant (as a child).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentle Marmot
Mar 25, 2005
like the sugar
So a couple weeks ago my cat had an emergency in the middle of the night and had to be taken to the emergency Vet. He had a urethral blockage caused by crystals in his urine. He is a year and a half old and they told me he would be predisposed to having urinary crystals. I have to put him on a new special diet for the rest of his life. The options were Royal Canin Urinary SO or something from Hill's. The cost is not a big deal to me, I was feeding him Wellness before. I definitely trust the vets when they tell me I will need to put him on this stuff as I was feeding him what I thought was a very good diet before and he developed this issue, mostly wellness wet food. That brings me to my problem. I thought Royal Canin and Hill's were pretty much crap food, in fact the shelter I got him from told me they fed him Hill's because they got it for free but strongly implied that I feed him something better. Now my only choices are from these companies. I am going with the Royal Canin right now, is the prescription food that much better? I looked at the ingredients and they seem ok, not great but ok. I also got him a little drinking fountain type bowl to encourage him to drink more. I understand the food itself will also help keep him better hydrated and encourage him to drink/urinate more. I am not looking for alternatives, more so just peace of mind that I am not feeding my cat a poor diet.

Also why does food even need a prescription? Is that just so people don't try and fix their animal's problems themselves and give them an improper diet? That was my main theory.

Gentle Marmot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 9, 2014