Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

I feed my cats twice a day and just sit there in between them. The one that finishes first will invariably go for the other's food, so I just have to play cat pong until the other finishes.

I feel blessed to have a cat that only eats when it's hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Has anything changed recently? I've seen cats do that sort of thing as a sort of protest or way of getting your attention that they're mad about something.

There was a bout of kibble based food poisoning (vomiting and mudbutt from both cats, but i got a fresh bag of kibble and everything returned to normal).
Thinking the cat may have associated the food poisoning with the litter box i bought a new one. she ignored it. i brought out the old one, she used it occasionally. i bought a third one, she'll use it sporadically, then go back to the carpet.

duckfarts posted:

You try Cat Attract yet?

three liter boxes (clever cat, open Rubbermaid deep tub and a low sided one ALL with cat attract)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

toplitzin posted:

There was a bout of kibble based food poisoning (vomiting and mudbutt from both cats, but i got a fresh bag of kibble and everything returned to normal).
Thinking the cat may have associated the food poisoning with the litter box i bought a new one. she ignored it. i brought out the old one, she used it occasionally. i bought a third one, she'll use it sporadically, then go back to the carpet.

three liter boxes (clever cat, open Rubbermaid deep tub and a low sided one ALL with cat attract)

The only solution I can think of is locking her in the room with the litter box for a few days to force her to start using it again.

Rewarding her with a treat for using the box would probably add incentive and work faster, but nobody wants to sit around for hours waiting for their cat to poop.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The only solution I can think of is locking her in the room with the litter box for a few days to force her to start using it again.

Rewarding her with a treat for using the box would probably add incentive and work faster, but nobody wants to sit around for hours waiting for their cat to poop.

The only problem with that idea is the way this house is laid out there is still carpet between the door and where the bathrooms starts, and if she pisses/shits on that carpet it is directly in front of the air return (dear god if she shits in that i think i will die).

Box on carpet is new clevercat over where the glowing pee stain is/was (i have a uv lamp to check), rubbermaid tub is in bathroom, air return is the grate on the floor by the door. If i close her in the bathroom, there is still carpet available. There is no separate bathroom door. (there is another door on the right that leads to the bedroom (no, the cats have ZERO access to my bedroom)

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

toplitzin posted:

The only problem with that idea is the way this house is laid out there is still carpet between the door and where the bathrooms starts, and if she pisses/shits on that carpet it is directly in front of the air return (dear god if she shits in that i think i will die).

Box on carpet is new clevercat over where the glowing pee stain is/was (i have a uv lamp to check), rubbermaid tub is in bathroom, air return is the grate on the floor by the door. If i close her in the bathroom, there is still carpet available. There is no separate bathroom door. (there is another door on the right that leads to the bedroom (no, the cats have ZERO access to my bedroom)

The one thing that's missing from your setup is an uncovered box with a short lip. If she's been ambushed at all in a tall litterbox or has had any mobility difficulties, she may be better at using a box with a clear view to all angles that she can step into.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Engineer Lenk posted:

The one thing that's missing from your setup is an uncovered box with a short lip. If she's been ambushed at all in a tall litterbox or has had any mobility difficulties, she may be better at using a box with a clear view to all angles that she can step into.

thats the third box. low sided with a even lower entrance lip.

Edit: used with and without the extra shield, but she's a bit of an edge/corner pisser(when in the box) and would overshoot sometimes without the shield on.

Edit Edit: Even when in the taller box her head is above the rim.

Edit the 3rd: If it was mobility related i don't think i'd still find her on top of the cat tree or couches.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 20, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Maybe try a large lasagna pan with a small amount of litter in it? Put it over the cat piss spots. Not an elegant solution, but it's worked for me before. Scoop very frequently.

Also, for people with scarfy food cats, I recommend ice cube trays. A bit of a pain to fill, but it really slows down the process of eating. Does not work so well with brachycephalic breeds.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 20, 2014

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
It turns out the new cat might have Feline Stomatitis. Anyone else have to deal with that?

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I ended up going with the name Dipper instead of Freddie.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

So about two months ago, my brother found a cat in the parking lot of the restaurant he worked at. He'd seen it around before and after asking around, determined that it was a stray who hung around the lot and seemed to be surviving off the jalapeno cornbread biscuits the wait staff gave it (the food they were most able to give away I guess but I have no idea what they were thinking). Obviously this is not a great diet for a cat and it was rail thin when my brother managed to get a hold of it after work and bring it home. We determined four things about it immediately: It was male, it was the most attention starved cuddler you've ever seen, it would it literally anything you gave it, and it did not have mange despite its appearance.

He's been thoroughly checked out by a vet (he's been neutered and got his shots as well) and we're assuming the hair loss was just from malnutrition. We named him Lovie (I didn't pick the name) and he's gently caress ugly but sweet as sugar, and strong as an ox. There is not an ounce of fat on him, even after two months of regular meals. He's just one long line of muscle. Which has turned out to present a slight problem - he's not very good at playing gently.

We have other animals in the house, three other cats and a dog. Lovie doesn't give even half a poo poo about our rottie (she's 17 years old and can't be bothered to care about him either), but the problem is coming with our year and a half old kitten, Gizmo. Lovie's not aggressive towards her, he actually seems to really like her. He wants to play with her all the time and for the most part, she's pretty happy to play with him too. The problem is that Lovie is MUCH stronger than she is and inevitably their playing ends with him pinning Gizmo and biting hard enough to hurt her. I separate them every time he does this and if he keeps doing it, he ends up in "time out" in my brother's room until he calms down, but I wanted to know if anybody had any advice on the matter. He doesn't do it to the other cats, probably because they're much older and refuse to play with him. He's a phenomenal cat other than this and we don't have any intention of getting rid of him right now, but if he ends up legit hurting Gizmo - well he doesn't exactly have seniority here.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ok so I just clipped foster kitty's nails for the first time (it took longer than it probably should have because I wasn't supplied with the clipper, and I kept being given promises of "oh I'll bring it tomorrow" - today I just spent the $10).

But some of her nails are.... strange looking. The curvature on some of them is like .... filled in - as if the nail is a semicircle or a blade shape instead of a pointy crescent. I can still see the base nail inside that, so it doesn't seem to me like the nail grew all the way back into her paw or anything, but when I clipped them, poo poo kinda splintered. She also didn't really enjoy having her nails clipped generally, so I let her go and gave her dinner (for being brave) after I finished the front paws.

Is this something I need to worry about? What do I do about it? She reacts poorly to having her paws examined, so I don't want to fiddle around with her claws without going in with a game plan. She does have some cardboard scratchers and stuff.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

SynthOrange posted:

Well there's...

I whipped this up for Cookie and Pudding.

I settled on a 2x2 combo in the end, and oriented the boxes on their side so any surfaces they stand on would be solid board. And at that configuration it seemed pretty drat stable, hasnt tipped over so far in the weeks I've been watching them horse around in/on it.

What a great idea! Gotta try this!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

CommonShore posted:

ok so I just clipped foster kitty's nails for the first time (it took longer than it probably should have because I wasn't supplied with the clipper, and I kept being given promises of "oh I'll bring it tomorrow" - today I just spent the $10).

But some of her nails are.... strange looking. The curvature on some of them is like .... filled in - as if the nail is a semicircle or a blade shape instead of a pointy crescent. I can still see the base nail inside that, so it doesn't seem to me like the nail grew all the way back into her paw or anything, but when I clipped them, poo poo kinda splintered. She also didn't really enjoy having her nails clipped generally, so I let her go and gave her dinner (for being brave) after I finished the front paws.

Is this something I need to worry about? What do I do about it? She reacts poorly to having her paws examined, so I don't want to fiddle around with her claws without going in with a game plan. She does have some cardboard scratchers and stuff.

This is what my old guy's nails look like, because he doesn't sharpen them anymore. They splinter when I cut them; I flake off the splintered area or do a second cut in the area where it seems like there shouldn't be any claw to get them closer to where they should be.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Engineer Lenk posted:

This is what my old guy's nails look like, because he doesn't sharpen them anymore. They splinter when I cut them; I flake off the splintered area or do a second cut in the area where it seems like there shouldn't be any claw to get them closer to where they should be.

She's had some opportunity to claw at her corrugated cardboard scratch pad, so maybe tomorrow I'll take another look and see if they've cleaned up a bit. Glad to know that it's nothing serious, though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Is this something I need to worry about? What do I do about it?
Eh, yeah, you need to worry about it a bit. If your cat doesn't sharpen their nails, they get thick and circular like that. If you ignore them for too long, they'll continue to grow and start curling back and pushing into the cat's toes and it sucks. It can happen more often in older cats because they may not bother scratching poo poo or biting/maintaining their claws anymore. You just need to trim those nails.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Kitty is squinting in one eye...there is a clear discharge, but no redness or colored discharge. We were gone for a few days and had someone check in on them daily, but they didn't mention anything about it. We've had these two for three weeks now, and they've both been fighting off colds from the shelter, but the vet wasn't too concerned when we had them in a two weeks ago.

Could us being gone have stressed her out enough to exacerbate the existing cold (haven't heard sneezing or coughing, but she does seem a bit subdued)? Did she maybe catch a poke in the eyeball from her brother? I don't know if this is a "wait and see" sort of thing or a "vet now" kind of thing. Right now, I'm gonna watch for redness or colored discharge but otherwise just wait it out. Please let me know if this is way off base!!

And as penance, pictures:

Pickwick, being squinty for other, cuter reasons.

Toby (who had earned the nickname Meatcat) demonstrating that cats truly are the most majestic animals.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 22, 2014

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Other day I was sitting in my living room when this weird chirping noise came from my bedroom. It freaked me out after it kept happening and I didn't see the cat, so I poked my head in... to see my cat jumping on my bed trying to catch a fly. Cat Facts I never knew: cats chirp when they see prey. He was alerting me to food. :3:

On a sidenote, this same cat is a bit bitey with everybody besides people with beards. We've tried yelping, ignoring, and etc. but he will still come barreling out of nowhere and bite somebody's arm, then walk away casually like nothing happened. We're playing with him often, and nothing else is out of whack. Is there a different way to combat cat behavior like that?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I just took my cat to the vet because he hasn't been eating properly for the past 3 days, and after getting him home from that stressful ordeal did manage to get him to eat a little bit of catfood, but not much. I can also sort of tempt him with milk (he never gets it normally) because I figure its better that than nothing at all, but he'll just have a few licks of it if I put it in front of him every 20 mins or so.

I'm still waiting for the results of a blood test from the vet, but until then is there any more safe human food I could tempt him with? I figure that offering him something which is crack-level delicious is going to be the best way to keep him eating at least a little bit. Are regular tins of tuna/sardines okay? Anybody had experience of any other treat foods that a cat might overcome low appetite for?

edit: here's a picture of him wearing a rad scarf to help prompt sympathy

death .cab for qt posted:

On a sidenote, this same cat is a bit bitey with everybody besides people with beards. We've tried yelping, ignoring, and etc. but he will still come barreling out of nowhere and bite somebody's arm, then walk away casually like nothing happened. We're playing with him often, and nothing else is out of whack. Is there a different way to combat cat behavior like that?

Keep a selection of fake beards for visitors to wear?

Your cat's weird.

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 22, 2014

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

So about once a month now I've seen my cat throw up what looks like a mix of stomach acid, water, and little bits of food. Afterwards she usually gets in her super hyper playful mode. I haven't noticed anything else wrong or different. Is this something I should worry about?

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

Catte goons, I am at my wits end.

Fats will not use the litter box anymore/consistently. She's been to the vet and was on antibiotics for 5 days. The vet called back yesterday and said the cultures were clear and there were no signs of crystal either.

Yesterday morning as I'm taking a poo poo the cat pisses on the carpet right next to the litter box (the second one i got and put over where she had been urinating on the carpet. which is after I cleaned the floor with natures miracle.)

This morning she took a poo poo on the other side of the room.

I've got a steam cleaning/professional carpet cleaner coming out Monday, If she still refuses to use any of the now three liter boxes (clever cat, open Rubbermaid deep tub and a low sided one ALL with cat attract) I think I'm going to give up and take her back to the humane society after the better part of two years.

If this wasn't a rental house i'd be half tempted to rip up the carpet and go wood flooring, but its not an option, plus it seems a bit extreme.
I mean, i don't want to sound cold/uncaring but this has been three loving weeks of anti-litter box crusade (including three different piles of cat based mudbutt) and I'm just tired of wet vaccing my carpet every day and picking up a random pile of poo poo at least once a week.

In general she's a cool catte with an awesome purr, and great attitude, loves the ever-loving daylights out of me (i come home and its mrows and belly rolls until i pick her up like a baby and give her some loving), but this is not sustainable anymore.

Am I a horrible person? What else can i do?
Will the other cat forgive me for taking her "sister" (not real sibling, but adopted same time) away?

Cat purr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYRoXm6NsbY

How i have to say hello when i get home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En3q-FA-Pss

How long have you tried the Cat Attract? Are the litter boxes in separate places (it sounds like they are)? Are the cats getting along? Have any changes happened recently that might be stressing her out? Could there be cats hanging around outside pissing everywhere that are freaking her out? If so, perhaps provide more places for her to climb to make her feel safe. Maybe also provide more playtime to help her relax.

Maybe try adding this to the Cat Attract and put one of these on her?

Perhaps provide one litterbox with a different type of litter than Cat Attract, mixing in the herbal attractant mixed in. Maybe the one they normally use.

Is she declawed or is there any other reason she might be experiencing paw sensitivity? If so, find a soft, non-clay litter (searching "soft litter for declawed cats" on Google brings some hits) and try that in one of the boxes (with the herbal attractant mixed in).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Captain Mediocre posted:

Are regular tins of tuna/sardines okay? Anybody had experience of any other treat foods that a cat might overcome low appetite for?

Tuna's apparently really bad as anything more than a small, very occasional treat because it causes some sort of vitamin deficiency, but chicken or red meat of some kind would probably work. It depends on the cat though, and I know from experience trying to convince a cat who doesn't want to eat that they should eat can be a really tiring and frustrating experience.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

flare posted:

So about once a month now I've seen my cat throw up what looks like a mix of stomach acid, water, and little bits of food. Afterwards she usually gets in her super hyper playful mode. I haven't noticed anything else wrong or different. Is this something I should worry about?

No, it sounds pretty standard for a cat. If she wasn't eating, if she has having difficulties eliminating, or if she was puking all the time, I'd say worry, but this sounds pretty standard, and may even be related to hair balls.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Organza Quiz posted:

Tuna's apparently really bad as anything more than a small, very occasional treat because it causes some sort of vitamin deficiency, but chicken or red meat of some kind would probably work. It depends on the cat though, and I know from experience trying to convince a cat who doesn't want to eat that they should eat can be a really tiring and frustrating experience.

Cats can die without Taurine. Canned fish doesn't have taurine. It's okay to feed it as a treat every so often, but it can't be a major part of the diet.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

death .cab for qt posted:

Other day I was sitting in my living room when this weird chirping noise came from my bedroom. It freaked me out after it kept happening and I didn't see the cat, so I poked my head in... to see my cat jumping on my bed trying to catch a fly. Cat Facts I never knew: cats chirp when they see prey. He was alerting me to food. :3:

My boyfriend loves putting something dark and fly shaped in the lamp after Tali noticed a fly and spent half an hour alternating between chirping and silently opening her mouth and reaching for the lamp. Sometimes I pick her up and let her touch the lamp and she goes absolutely bananas. She also chirps when new people come over with toys (or rather, tributes to the queen of our castle). She's learning her meows and is the loudest/most vocal when it's morning and we haven't let her into the bedroom yet, but every so often we hear her talking to herself in another room.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ATP5G1 posted:

How long have you tried the Cat Attract? Are the litter boxes in separate places (it sounds like they are)? Are the cats getting along? Have any changes happened recently that might be stressing her out? Could there be cats hanging around outside pissing everywhere that are freaking her out? If so, perhaps provide more places for her to climb to make her feel safe. Maybe also provide more playtime to help her relax.

Maybe try adding this to the Cat Attract and put one of these on her?

Perhaps provide one litterbox with a different type of litter than Cat Attract, mixing in the herbal attractant mixed in. Maybe the one they normally use.

Is she declawed or is there any other reason she might be experiencing paw sensitivity? If so, find a soft, non-clay litter (searching "soft litter for declawed cats" on Google brings some hits) and try that in one of the boxes (with the herbal attractant mixed in).

The cat attract additive went in as soon as I had purchased the new litterbox. I use it as a coaxer to make any transition easier.
The litterboxes are in different places but almost in a line with each other. one in the bathroom, one over the stained area, and one under the window on the other side of the room (where she dropped the turds).

I see rabbits outside my windows often and dogs in the next yard over along with a main/busy street. I've never seen a single stray in this area.

Places to climb she has a cat tree and couches in several rooms. from the cat tree the mantle can also be used to transit the room.

There is playtime usually 2-3 times a day depending if I'm up early enough to give them a play before work. the girls also seem to have an afternoon zoomies session together as well.

Not delcawed.

Litter is Worlds best with the attractant used as directed.

I put the litterbox over the stain, and since then they have both used the normal litterbox in the bathroom and refused the one sitting over the stain and the other. :catstare:

Carpet is still drying, but once it dries I'll give them the room back and see how it goes. It's also possible the urine made it into the foam pad (I hope not) and I might have to do some under carpet surgery, but I'm hoping the pro steam clean+pro enzyme treatment clears it up.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Kitten has learned that shredding paper is fun. Help?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lareine posted:

Nah, it can probably handle it on its own.

Paper is cheap. There are worse problems to have. Set aside a stock for kitty to tear up, and keep important stuff away.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Lareine posted:

Get a file cabinet for your important papers, and a good vacuum for the shreds (I like my Shark Lift-Away Pro). :3:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So my cat might have bone cancer :(

But i've heard surgery (amputation likely) tends to have good odds, even though he is a 14 year old cat I think i'm gonna try it, if it works out ok i'll have a tripod cat.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Good luck, kitty. :ohdear:

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Dienes posted:

No, it sounds pretty standard for a cat. If she wasn't eating, if she has having difficulties eliminating, or if she was puking all the time, I'd say worry, but this sounds pretty standard, and may even be related to hair balls.

Ok thanks.

For your time bonus 240FPS cat footage of Ellie: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5z96wysw4blt95/MOV_3720.MOV.mov?dl=0

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

The cat attract additive went in as soon as I had purchased the new litterbox. I use it as a coaxer to make any transition easier.
The litterboxes are in different places but almost in a line with each other. one in the bathroom, one over the stained area, and one under the window on the other side of the room (where she dropped the turds).

I see rabbits outside my windows often and dogs in the next yard over along with a main/busy street. I've never seen a single stray in this area.

Places to climb she has a cat tree and couches in several rooms. from the cat tree the mantle can also be used to transit the room.

There is playtime usually 2-3 times a day depending if I'm up early enough to give them a play before work. the girls also seem to have an afternoon zoomies session together as well.

Not delcawed.

Litter is Worlds best with the attractant used as directed.

I put the litterbox over the stain, and since then they have both used the normal litterbox in the bathroom and refused the one sitting over the stain and the other. :catstare:

Carpet is still drying, but once it dries I'll give them the room back and see how it goes. It's also possible the urine made it into the foam pad (I hope not) and I might have to do some under carpet surgery, but I'm hoping the pro steam clean+pro enzyme treatment clears it up.

For what it's worth, when I had really stubborn urine smells that kept the cats coming back to them, I had to dump like half a bottle of Nature's Miracle on them.

Just to clarify, have you used the Cat Attract litter, or just the herbal powder additive? If you've just used the additive, definitely try the litter. And you can add the additive for additional boosting power. Maybe try that calming collar for yuks?

Sometimes there are cats hanging around outside that we don't see--but man, you have been trying everything it looks like. You are clearly a good catparent who loves your kitties!

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I would like to vent about the stupid multi-thousand dollar non-crisis health-crisis one of my cats just went through.

I feed my cats twice a day. Wednesday morning when I wake up I notice Anatoli is not greeting me or showing any interest in food. Or any interest in doing anything aside from lying in his bed. This is worrisome. I decide to give him until the evening until I freak out. When I come back in the evening he is in the exact same position in his bed and wants nothing to do with food, not even canned tuna. His behavior is like when another one of my cats had tapeworms, so I hope that's all that is. I make arrangements to get Drontal.

I'm not able to get the Drontal until Thursday evening. He gets the Drontal Thursday evening. Still no eating or drinking. I'm really worried. If he isn't better by Friday morning I will take him to the vet.

Friday morning he's worse. Now he's not even using his bed in my bedroom. Now he's just lying alone in the (finished) attic area. We go to the vet. The vet agrees he's bad off. He takes x-rays and bloodwork. The x-rays are inconclusive--he sees something in the intestine that looks like a hairball, but could be something else. He sends me and Anatoli on our way with some Laxatone (hairball lubricant) and 100ml of subcutaneous fluids, and says he'll get me the bloodwork by that evening. He doesn't.

Saturday I start syringe-feeding Anatoli. I was really hoping he'd be amenable to eating on his own at this point, but no dice. I call the vet multiple times throughout the day, asking for the bloodwork, and the front desk people say it's printed out in front of them and keep promising he'll call me back in a half-hour or hour. They do this multiple times until they close at 1:00pm, then I don't hear any bloodwork results until that evening. Bloodwork is normal. He says since it's so late we'll see if the syringe feeding perks him up by Sunday, and if it doesn't I should take Anatoli to a local urgent care place to get an ultrasound. He starts vomiting that evening, after his last feeding, and vomits four more times over the next twelve hours (though it's all bile).

Sunday Anatoli is still feeling crappy, so I go to the urgent care place recommended by my vet. It turns out contrary to what my vet said they don't do ultrasounds on Sundays.

I spend an hour trying to find a place that will do ultrasounds. A second urgent care place says they do, but they're 30 minutes outside the city and I don't have a car. In the end my boyfriend drives the 40 minutes from his home to the first urgent care place, then takes us all out to the second urgent care center. Which, it turns out, does not actually do ultrasounds on Sundays. Despite telling them at the front desk that I'm there for an ultrasound, I'm not told this until the cat is already admitted and I'm on the hook for $140. At this point it is already late and I'm stressed that my cat may have a massive obstruction and needs surgery now. The second urgent care place does another x-ray and gives him IV fluids. The second x-ray just finds gas, but the IV fluids perk him up immediately. I am hopeful.

However, I am also pretty pissed. If my vet had given me the results on Friday like he promised--or even Saturday morning!--I would've taken him into the first urgent care center on Saturday and been able to get that ultrasound done. And if that second urgent care center hadn't lied about their ultrasound capabilities, I could've at least gotten the fluids and second x-ray done at the first urgent care center, without my poor boyfriend driving all over creation and wasting an additional five hours.

Monday morning he is way better. My regular vet still encourages me to get that ultrasound at the first urgent care center. By the time I come back from class in the afternoon to pick Anatoli up, he is feeling well enough to greet me when I get home and beg for food. I'm questioning the necessity of the ultrasound, but OK, everyone says this is a good idea.

Go back to the first urgent care center. They give the ultrasound. The radiologist says "Oh no, look at these intestines, they're all bunched, he has a 'linear foreign object' lodged in there! Emergency $3500 surgery needed immediately!" Now, there's no string caught in his mouth. He's never had a history of eating non-food items. He hasn't been vomiting since Day 1, which is weird for a foreign object situation. But this vet is convinced surgery is needed. Gosh, I think to myself. I sure am glad I brought him in! The cost blows but my cat is still young, I love him, and I have CareCredit, so I tell them to go for it.

Well, I got a call from the surgeon. They found no bunched up intestines. No foreign object. Just a tiny, tiny hairball which almost certainly wasn't a current obstruction. He probably had a bigger hairball which got taken care of by the Laxatone, but by Friday he hadn't been eating and drinking for so long he'd entered the downward spiral. So all he needed were those IV fluids he got on Sunday to get him back on the upswing. The surgeon theorized the intestines were just mashed weird and the radiologist misread the scan. She tried to emphasize the "might" in the radiologist's notes, despite the fact that everyone was freaking out about how he was totally obstructed and needed this surgery now now now now now.

So my poor boy just went through full open-cavity surgery and got his intestines all cut up for nothing. And I just spent $3500+ to be told their goddamned radiologist can't tell the difference between an obstruction and intestinal folds. They're sending out biopsies since his lymph nodes and pancreas are inflamed, but it's likely those are just a side effect of all the stress of not eating and drinking.

I am so pissed right now. I am pissed about all the money and time I've wasted on account of the incompetence and misinformation at every vet I've visited in this process. I am so loving sick of how difficult it is to get good vet care in my city--I've been to eight different vets and the only ones who seem to be reliably competent are at a rescue clinic and they can't do anything complicated there. I'm ready to start taking the four-hour public transit trip to my parents' every time my cats need to see a vet simply because their vet has provided the only good vet experience in years.

UGH. If anyone knows of a decent vet in Philly, please, please let me know.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ATP5G1 posted:

I would like to vent about the stupid multi-thousand dollar non-crisis health-crisis one of my cats just went through.

I feed my cats twice a day. Wednesday morning when I wake up I notice Anatoli is not greeting me or showing any interest in food. Or any interest in doing anything aside from lying in his bed. This is worrisome. I decide to give him until the evening until I freak out. When I come back in the evening he is in the exact same position in his bed and wants nothing to do with food, not even canned tuna. His behavior is like when another one of my cats had tapeworms, so I hope that's all that is. I make arrangements to get Drontal.

I'm not able to get the Drontal until Thursday evening. He gets the Drontal Thursday evening. Still no eating or drinking. I'm really worried. If he isn't better by Friday morning I will take him to the vet.

Friday morning he's worse. Now he's not even using his bed in my bedroom. Now he's just lying alone in the (finished) attic area. We go to the vet. The vet agrees he's bad off. He takes x-rays and bloodwork. The x-rays are inconclusive--he sees something in the intestine that looks like a hairball, but could be something else. He sends me and Anatoli on our way with some Laxatone (hairball lubricant) and 100ml of subcutaneous fluids, and says he'll get me the bloodwork by that evening. He doesn't.

Saturday I start syringe-feeding Anatoli. I was really hoping he'd be amenable to eating on his own at this point, but no dice. I call the vet multiple times throughout the day, asking for the bloodwork, and the front desk people say it's printed out in front of them and keep promising he'll call me back in a half-hour or hour. They do this multiple times until they close at 1:00pm, then I don't hear any bloodwork results until that evening. Bloodwork is normal. He says since it's so late we'll see if the syringe feeding perks him up by Sunday, and if it doesn't I should take Anatoli to a local urgent care place to get an ultrasound. He starts vomiting that evening, after his last feeding, and vomits four more times over the next twelve hours (though it's all bile).

Sunday Anatoli is still feeling crappy, so I go to the urgent care place recommended by my vet. It turns out contrary to what my vet said they don't do ultrasounds on Sundays.

I spend an hour trying to find a place that will do ultrasounds. A second urgent care place says they do, but they're 30 minutes outside the city and I don't have a car. In the end my boyfriend drives the 40 minutes from his home to the first urgent care place, then takes us all out to the second urgent care center. Which, it turns out, does not actually do ultrasounds on Sundays. Despite telling them at the front desk that I'm there for an ultrasound, I'm not told this until the cat is already admitted and I'm on the hook for $140. At this point it is already late and I'm stressed that my cat may have a massive obstruction and needs surgery now. The second urgent care place does another x-ray and gives him IV fluids. The second x-ray just finds gas, but the IV fluids perk him up immediately. I am hopeful.

However, I am also pretty pissed. If my vet had given me the results on Friday like he promised--or even Saturday morning!--I would've taken him into the first urgent care center on Saturday and been able to get that ultrasound done. And if that second urgent care center hadn't lied about their ultrasound capabilities, I could've at least gotten the fluids and second x-ray done at the first urgent care center, without my poor boyfriend driving all over creation and wasting an additional five hours.

Monday morning he is way better. My regular vet still encourages me to get that ultrasound at the first urgent care center. By the time I come back from class in the afternoon to pick Anatoli up, he is feeling well enough to greet me when I get home and beg for food. I'm questioning the necessity of the ultrasound, but OK, everyone says this is a good idea.

Go back to the first urgent care center. They give the ultrasound. The radiologist says "Oh no, look at these intestines, they're all bunched, he has a 'linear foreign object' lodged in there! Emergency $3500 surgery needed immediately!" Now, there's no string caught in his mouth. He's never had a history of eating non-food items. He hasn't been vomiting since Day 1, which is weird for a foreign object situation. But this vet is convinced surgery is needed. Gosh, I think to myself. I sure am glad I brought him in! The cost blows but my cat is still young, I love him, and I have CareCredit, so I tell them to go for it.

Well, I got a call from the surgeon. They found no bunched up intestines. No foreign object. Just a tiny, tiny hairball which almost certainly wasn't a current obstruction. He probably had a bigger hairball which got taken care of by the Laxatone, but by Friday he hadn't been eating and drinking for so long he'd entered the downward spiral. So all he needed were those IV fluids he got on Sunday to get him back on the upswing. The surgeon theorized the intestines were just mashed weird and the radiologist misread the scan. She tried to emphasize the "might" in the radiologist's notes, despite the fact that everyone was freaking out about how he was totally obstructed and needed this surgery now now now now now.

So my poor boy just went through full open-cavity surgery and got his intestines all cut up for nothing. And I just spent $3500+ to be told their goddamned radiologist can't tell the difference between an obstruction and intestinal folds. They're sending out biopsies since his lymph nodes and pancreas are inflamed, but it's likely those are just a side effect of all the stress of not eating and drinking.

I am so pissed right now. I am pissed about all the money and time I've wasted on account of the incompetence and misinformation at every vet I've visited in this process. I am so loving sick of how difficult it is to get good vet care in my city--I've been to eight different vets and the only ones who seem to be reliably competent are at a rescue clinic and they can't do anything complicated there. I'm ready to start taking the four-hour public transit trip to my parents' every time my cats need to see a vet simply because their vet has provided the only good vet experience in years.

I would consider talking to a lawyer, personally.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Lareine posted:

Sell your shredder, you probably won't need it anymore.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ATP5G1 posted:

It's not in Philly, but the Chester County Cat Hospital has been fantastic. Not sure if you're wanting a 45 minute drive for a vet, though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have a cat with an infected eye that has gone into hiding. She went to the vet yesterday and they gave her some antibiotics and last night the infection burst, which is good but now we can't find her. In general she's always had watery eyes and hates when we clean the gunk that accumulates. Now we really need to clean her eyes but they hurt her even more and when we last tried she got really upset and ran away. Now we haven't seen her since 7am and we've looked every where we can think of, called out, shook food and catnip and still nothing. I know cats generally hide when they're sick in general but I do really want to know where she is and if she's okay. Is there anything I can do at this point or am I stuck playing the waiting game?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Cat was found. She just sort of walked into the room and then when she saw that she was noticed she ran back to her hiding spot, which was behind a closed drawer under a bed, where I can't reach. I still need to grab her so I can get her to the vet, but at least I know where she is.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Things have come to a point between my mom and Lucky, and probably anyone that has to be in the room with him for more than 5 minutes.

He attacks anything that moves. Or doesn't move but is sticking out and being tempting. Especially body parts, you can't even pet him without ending up with a new wrist accessory. The other day, he jumped on me and when he couldn't get to my hands, he nipped my face.

My mom ended up with infected wounds on her arms because of his attacks. She's got them wrapped up like a mummy, got a tetanus shot, and is on antibiotics. This can't keep going on, obviously, so how to get a young cat to stop attacking everything like it's a toy? I've read things like putting bitter apple on yourself to deter them, and ignoring them when they act out. Is there anything else I can suggest to her?

I don't know how keen she is on getting him a companion, since she's worried she'll end up with two attack cats. I'd take him myself but he'd beat the poo poo out of my front declawed older cat and then go eat my rats. We both want the best for the trash bag cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
My cat is back from his surgery and it's agonizing. He hates the E-collar and I tried wrapping a cut-up t-shirt around him to protect his incision but he hates that too. He seemed OK when he got home but now he's in incredible pain. He's lying awkwardly in his bed but he can't even readjust his position because it hurts too much. He starts to sit up and cries out. I called the vet and they said to give him his pain meds two hours early, but it's been a half hour and this is killing me. He keeps wailing. He's never like this.

I was already upset about the unneeded surgery, but this is turning me into a full-on rage monster.