Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
:toot: So Lawson had his dental exam and another one from another vet, and both agreed it wasn't as bad as they initially feared from his routine. They had to pull some teeth, but were able to save the rest. After a few days hiding after that, he's back to normal. He's spent the past few days being as affectionate as he was, and most of it in my lap while I work. No more hiding all day and yowling! :toot:

I'm still trying to figure out if he just doesn't like playing much or I just have the wrong toys. Nothing has worked out so far; I've tried balls, little mice/rat fleece things, a feathery owl on a wand, string, about the only thing he'll bat around is the string off my hoodies.

We're like this most of the day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

We're like this most of the day now.

THAT is a picture of a thankful kitty, who isn't in pain like before.

Cats are amazing at showing affection, and you wouldn't know normally, until you bring them relief.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I got bored after work. Less than $200 all in!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I know it's probably a horrible idea but I have to housesit for a week and I kinda wanna bring my cat so I don't have to stop at my place every day to feed him and clean the litter box. Plus he's banished to the porch by my housemate and isn't getting enough attention. He'll probably be less happy in a new place for a few days and then cool with it and then not cool with moving back and then cool again. What do you think pet island

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I know it's probably a horrible idea but I have to housesit for a week and I kinda wanna bring my cat so I don't have to stop at my place every day to feed him and clean the litter box. Plus he's banished to the porch by my housemate and isn't getting enough attention. He'll probably be less happy in a new place for a few days and then cool with it and then not cool with moving back and then cool again. What do you think pet island

if he's cool with being/hanging out in a carrier, might be ok

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Your housemate sounds like a douche

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

duckfarts posted:

if he's cool with being/hanging out in a carrier, might be ok
He'd only be in it for ~40 minutes; I'd be leaving him at the house I'm house sitting at for the week.

he's not really cool that. he's not really cool with anything, to be honest, other than doing his thing .... but he can't do his thing right now at the house. He spent years in a shelter; he's super friendly and affectionate but if it's not on his terms he'll lash out. I can't even brush him for too long without him trying to bite/scratch me.

On the other hand, he loves being around people and he's deprived of that right now other than the half hour or so I spend with him after work. If I leave him at my house while I'm house sitting, that would be down to about 10 minutes to scoop his litter and give him food and water.

I mean, overall, he's a cat so he'll be fine in a familiar, if lonely, place but I'd feel guilty.

Also my housemate is kind of a douche. his new thing is he wants me to have the cat shaved. And while he would look hilarious with a lion cut, I'm pretty sure he'd need to be sedated. And that just seems extreme ...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

He'd only be in it for ~40 minutes; I'd be leaving him at the house I'm house sitting at for the week.

he's not really cool that. he's not really cool with anything, to be honest, other than doing his thing .... but he can't do his thing right now at the house. He spent years in a shelter; he's super friendly and affectionate but if it's not on his terms he'll lash out. I can't even brush him for too long without him trying to bite/scratch me.

On the other hand, he loves being around people and he's deprived of that right now other than the half hour or so I spend with him after work. If I leave him at my house while I'm house sitting, that would be down to about 10 minutes to scoop his litter and give him food and water.

I mean, overall, he's a cat so he'll be fine in a familiar, if lonely, place but I'd feel guilty.

Also my housemate is kind of a douche. his new thing is he wants me to have the cat shaved. And while he would look hilarious with a lion cut, I'm pretty sure he'd need to be sedated. And that just seems extreme ...

I guess as long as the owner of the house you're sitting is OK with it, it seems like the better option to bring him along. Neither choice is great, but that appears to be less problematic. If the owner is allergic to cats or says no, you don't have much choice.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

I guess as long as the owner of the house you're sitting is OK with it, it seems like the better option to bring him along. Neither choice is great, but that appears to be less problematic. If the owner is allergic to cats or says no, you don't have much choice.

ha, the owner is my mom, so it's all good on that front.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I'm pretty sure he'd need to be sedated. And that just seems extreme ...

This is pretty normal, but the amount of time needed for cats to recover from sedation can vary, and it might be best to have your cat at the vet/groomers for the rest of the day so they're not trying to jump/fall off of things while groggy.

Ophidia
Oct 20, 2012
It's me again, this has been bothering me from the start but I tried to wait and see how it would develop...

We adopted 2 cats (a male and a female) from the shelter two weeks ago. The shelter told us that they grew up together and are 6 years old. But I'm starting to doubt that those two really grew up together. In fact, they seem to hate - or, at best, tolerate - each other. I haven't seen them cuddle, clean each other, sleep together EVER. They don't mind being in the same room, but they usually sleep in different places, with at least a few feet of distance between them. They don't mind eating together, so feeding them in the same spot is not a problem, but the only interaction I ever see between them is hissing and growling. Especially at night they wake us with hissing and growling at each other, usually the female hits the male with her paw and afterwards he just runs away out of her reach.

I am aware that some fighting amongst them is normal. What bothers me is that they only seem to fight and when they don't they just tolerate each others presence. We adopted two cats so they could keep each other company, so they wouldn't be bored in our apartement when we're at work. But can two cats who hate each other really keep each other company? I'm afraid they might actually stress each other out or that one of their fights might escalate and they might even hurt each other. Do I need to give this more time? Is there something I can do to make them like each other?

Thanks again for your advice.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ophidia posted:

It's me again, this has been bothering me from the start but I tried to wait and see how it would develop...

We adopted 2 cats (a male and a female) from the shelter two weeks ago. The shelter told us that they grew up together and are 6 years old. But I'm starting to doubt that those two really grew up together. In fact, they seem to hate - or, at best, tolerate - each other. I haven't seen them cuddle, clean each other, sleep together EVER. They don't mind being in the same room, but they usually sleep in different places, with at least a few feet of distance between them. They don't mind eating together, so feeding them in the same spot is not a problem, but the only interaction I ever see between them is hissing and growling. Especially at night they wake us with hissing and growling at each other, usually the female hits the male with her paw and afterwards he just runs away out of her reach.

I am aware that some fighting amongst them is normal. What bothers me is that they only seem to fight and when they don't they just tolerate each others presence. We adopted two cats so they could keep each other company, so they wouldn't be bored in our apartement when we're at work. But can two cats who hate each other really keep each other company? I'm afraid they might actually stress each other out or that one of their fights might escalate and they might even hurt each other. Do I need to give this more time? Is there something I can do to make them like each other?

If they hated each other, they wouldn't be in the same room together - and you would see blood and fur fly when they were. They seem to be geting along like normal cats.

Our cats swat and hiss at each other sometimes. It seems to be some sort of social interaction, perhaps as teasing or reminding each other of their relative status or something. It's nothing to be concerned about.

Few cats bond as cuddly pairs. Most interact like yours do. Relax.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My cats fight every day. they'll be in the same room very often and chilling even on the same side of the room, but when they're interacting it's usually swatting, fighting, or chasing each other around.

That is, until I started coming home from lunch during they day when they're used to being alone and found them like this:

The little assholes fight all evening and when nobody's around to see them they snuggle all day!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ophidia posted:

They're both figuring out territory stuff. Make sure they have separate places where they can chill on their own - put two cat beds in high places in different rooms. Two litter boxes are a good idea too. Keep feeding them together, that always helps. Hissing and growling, while not pleasant, is also not really cause for concern.

My ex and I each had a cat and they were never best buddies, but they were often playing together by the time the two of us went our separate ways. Definitely took them a few months though.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I have a brother/sister pair that don't seem to really like each other. She's timid and half his size, and he pushes her around, takes her napping spot, tries to drive her off when she's getting petted because he's a goddamn oaf. Occasionally she'll hiss and swipe at him, but usually she starts out trying to be nice and washing his big dumb head, which he doesn't like.

But, while they aren't cuddly, they'll sleep on the same bed a foot apart, and when they're nervous about people in the house, they retreat to the same place. So, they both agree that the other is better than strangers and dogs.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Yep, basically cats being cats. Being siblings doesn't mean they will be cuddly dummies unless they were both cuddly dummies by nature. They might also settle in together as they age and have less crazy kitten energy. It also helps if it's winter and they are cold in my experience.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
How do you reintroduce a cat to a cat tree after fleas?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Vampess posted:

How do you reintroduce a cat to a cat tree after fleas?

Catnip! Apply directly to the cattree.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Gorgar posted:

But, while they aren't cuddly, they'll sleep on the same bed a foot apart, and when they're nervous about people in the house, they retreat to the same place. So, they both agree that the other is better than strangers and dogs.

This reminds me of my cats. Our cats squabble all the bloody time but when push comes to shove, they team up. Also I know that deep down they click because once a black cat came through our cat door that was not my black cat and I ended up with two ferociously angry spiky black cats frozen staring at each other. I couldn't tell which one was mine until Hugo came in, looked at them both and then went and stood by one angry black cat and they both started advancing on the other one. Other black cat was picked up and turfed outside ASAP. Cue return to normality.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Do you ever wonder if Hugo - and, by extension you - sent away the wrong black cat?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It was Hugo's plan to get rid of the other one all along.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Drythe posted:

The evil black cat is, and always was, Bart.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
Hi guys. I need some advice about fleas for my indoor cats. Im sorry if i over looked it and for spelling mistakes. Im at work and on my phone.
I had a recent job change that messed up my financials for awhile and cant afford to drop the 70 bucks or so for flea medication for another month or so. My vet wants 15 a piece for individual dosage, which seems a little steep. Is there anything i can do besides constant flee comb brushing and vacuuming to help my kitties and myself? One of them likes to sleep on my feet and my ankles are getting bit to hell. Im almost at the point of trying to do a dawn bath for them.

Any advice to help tide us over til i can pick up medication would be wonderful. Thanks guys

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

TheUnforgiven posted:

Hi guys. I need some advice about fleas for my indoor cats. Im sorry if i over looked it and for spelling mistakes. Im at work and on my phone.
I had a recent job change that messed up my financials for awhile and cant afford to drop the 70 bucks or so for flea medication for another month or so. My vet wants 15 a piece for individual dosage, which seems a little steep. Is there anything i can do besides constant flee comb brushing and vacuuming to help my kitties and myself? One of them likes to sleep on my feet and my ankles are getting bit to hell. Im almost at the point of trying to do a dawn bath for them.

Any advice to help tide us over til i can pick up medication would be wonderful. Thanks guys

Speaking from experience, you definitely get what you pay for with flea treatment. I tried to save $10 by buying Sentry instead of Frontline and it did next to nothing. Since doing research I've seen accounts of Frontline being a lot less effective these days. $15/dose is about what you'd pay in store for a 3-pack, at least in my area. The really cheap stuff has a tendency to paralyze or kill cats.

A flea bath will kill the fleas on the cat. You can do that and keep the cat contained for a few days while you clean and vacuum like mad.

When you can afford it, I recommend the Seresto flea collar. It's around $60 but it lasts for 8 months, and it's a different formula from older flea collars that aren't effective these days. It has worked really well for my cat.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Speaking from experience, you definitely get what you pay for with flea treatment. I tried to save $10 by buying Sentry instead of Frontline and it did next to nothing. Since doing research I've seen accounts of Frontline being a lot less effective these days. $15/dose is about what you'd pay in store for a 3-pack, at least in my area. The really cheap stuff has a tendency to paralyze or kill cats.

A flea bath will kill the fleas on the cat. You can do that and keep the cat contained for a few days while you clean and vacuum like mad.

When you can afford it, I recommend the Seresto flea collar. It's around $60 but it lasts for 8 months, and it's a different formula from older flea collars that aren't effective these days. It has worked really well for my cat.

Yeah, ill never go the cheap route which is why im waiting til i can get something good and trying to keep it as contained as possible. Thankfully its not crazy, when I brush i only get a few fleas and they arent crawling in them. But i dont want to let it get out of hand.

The 15 a dose isnt bad. But when i need to get 2, at 30 plus tax I might as well buy the 3 pack.
Do those collars do well? Ive seen a few people recommend them and ive always heard to avoid flea collars like mad.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

TheUnforgiven posted:

Yeah, ill never go the cheap route which is why im waiting til i can get something good and trying to keep it as contained as possible. Thankfully its not crazy, when I brush i only get a few fleas and they arent crawling in them. But i dont want to let it get out of hand.

The 15 a dose isnt bad. But when i need to get 2, at 30 plus tax I might as well buy the 3 pack.
Do those collars do well? Ive seen a few people recommend them and ive always heard to avoid flea collars like mad.

In general flea collars aren't effective. The seresto flea collar is apparently a totally different formula. I saw a lot of people rave about it on reddit pet forums. It's worked very well for my cat.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

But I'd also spring for the doses from your vet if you can possibly squeeze out the $30. Fleas get very bad very quickly, treating both your pet and your house asap will save you a lot of headaches.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Flea treatment guide pdf that should probably be in the OP or something: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8oE-QD2hnUZUHBqYlVBSWhUdE9oenBKR2h1VU41Zw/edit

don't flea bomb, don't use flea collars, use flea meds regularly

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Do you ever wonder if Hugo - and, by extension you - sent away the wrong black cat?

Drythe posted:

I wouldn't put it past him - would make his homelife a lot quieter and let him sleep undisturbed, but once we had a hint which one was which I went to pick up huge angry probable Decoy (appropriate name ha) and he let me; whereas other black cat was not a willing participant when I had to pick it up and fled the second it was outside. It was also a lot lighter and I think it maybe still a cat teenager, was just hard to tell under the furious sea urchin appearance. Once the other cat was gone and Decoy calmed down he was very clearly my cat. But it was a good prompt to stick a collar back on him.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Kerfuffle posted:

Flea treatment guide pdf that should probably be in the OP or something: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8oE-QD2hnUZUHBqYlVBSWhUdE9oenBKR2h1VU41Zw/edit

don't flea bomb, don't use flea collars, use flea meds regularly

I'm pretty much following it. Minus the flea meds. I'm attempting to see if can manage to squeeze the money out to get the meds, borrowing a steam cleaner to steam the poo poo out of my carpet a few times.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddammit, Jet has a dingleberry stuck to his butthole. I tried holding him down to nab it and take it off, but for one, he hates me poking around back there (can't imagine why) and second, it feels a little bit "stuck" to his butt. I don't want to try and remove it in case it turns out it's actually attached to some string he ate or something, and pulling on it would rip open his intestines. I'm considering just watering his butt but he won't stand still long enough for that, I don't have a spritzer, and I'm apparently not allowed near him for a while, anyway.

Is there an anti-dingleberry formula or something out there? It'd be simple if it was stuck to his butt fur, but it's actually stuck to his hole.

I cannot believe I just wrote this post.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 7, 2015

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit, Jet has a dingleberry stuck to his butthole. I tried holding him down to nap it and take it off, but for one, he hates me poking around back there (can't imagine why) and second, it feels a little bit "stuck" to his butt. I don't want to try and remove it in case it turns out it's actually attached to some string he ate or something, and pulling on it would rip open his intestines. I'm considering just watering his butt but he won't stand still long enough for that, I don't have a spritzer, and I'm apparently not allowed near him for a while, anyway.

Is there an anti-dingleberry formula or something out there? It'd be simple if it was stuck to his butt fur, but it's actually stuck to his hole.

Tali has a dingleberry problem, we just wet a paper towel with warm water and one of us holds her (usually me) while the other wipes her stupid butthole (usually my fiance gets the honor of butt-wiper, she kicks and I get the brunt of that, it's worth it). Sometimes it doesn't all come off, so we take a napkin and just grab the piece and yank it off. She's never happy about it, but so far we haven't pulled her butt out of her butt.

tl;dr suggestion, grab him and try and hold a warm wet paper towel to his butt and wipe away.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Anyone have experience with heart murmurs? Our cat is 8, no symptoms, vet noticed a low grade murmur at his annual exam. She said it might be a good idea to get an ultrasound done.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

What is this? I'm worried. :(

khy
Aug 15, 2005

demota posted:

A cat.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Don't worry, it's probably just sleeping.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

demota posted:

Looks like your cat scratched its idiot head too hard, or if you have more than one cat, managed to get its head scratched in a squabble. My cat ozma winds up with little bald patches on her head a couple times a month because her preferred fighting style is "put my dumb idiot face as close to pizza's kicking back legs as I can and then scream when that doesn't work."

I mean it might be the cat is scratching at fleas or a skin problem so if you're very worried try the vet. Otherwise, just trim kitty's nails more frequently.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Thanks. I'll try clipping her nails first!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

demota posted:

Is it a siamese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit, Jet has a dingleberry stuck to his butthole. I tried holding him down to nab it and take it off, but for one, he hates me poking around back there (can't imagine why) and second, it feels a little bit "stuck" to his butt. I don't want to try and remove it in case it turns out it's actually attached to some string he ate or something, and pulling on it would rip open his intestines. I'm considering just watering his butt but he won't stand still long enough for that, I don't have a spritzer, and I'm apparently not allowed near him for a while, anyway.

Isaac is developing a complex about pooping because of his sloppy shits. All it takes is one tiny fart and he spray paints the whole underside of his tail and all his butt hair.

It's gotten to be a little ritual, hear cat in litter box, wait to judge level of shame burial, intercept cat before he reaches carpet, pick up cat, lock in bathroom, wet wipe his entire arse, let indignant cat out to rim job himself to dry off.

I'm very loving over it. Started him on hills I/D today, see if that does anything. If not I might have to start feeding him glue.