Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
Apologies if that has been asked before, but I know that some plants are poisonous to cats. I may be adopting a cat sometime soon and have two chili plants at home (capsicum annuum and capsicum pubescens). So far I could not find any negative indications or reports other than the fact that cats (understandably) don't like chili/hot sauce and other hot foods. I assume the chili plants are safe for a cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

AAARGH.

I was lying in bed with a headache, and let the cats in for some company. After a while pottering around the bed, purring, headbutts, Wolfgang plonks himself down right in the middle of the doonah and pisses. WHAT THE HELL, CAT?!

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I tried giving my cat Sunny her flea treatment stuff (Advantage II, large cat)--she was squirming a bunch, and I thought I had gotten it inbetween her shoulder blades but it's actually a bit off to her right side. She got away, and before I could catch her she licked at it once. I'm extremely worried about her (though I'm a bad person and I'll admit that she made a pretty hilarious face from the bitter taste), but so far she seems fine...?

Since then (about half an hour ago), she's used the litter box normally (both #1 and #2, no apparently signs of diarrhea), eaten a bit, and she's drinking from her water bowl right now. She's her normal self so far, playing a lil but mostly lounging around as usual, no drooling or foaming at the mouth, no vomiting yet. I"m obviously keeping an eye on her, but should I still be in near-panic mode like I am, or are these good signs that she'll probably be alright? Should I call the vet tomorrow regardless?

I'm just scared about my poor kitty. :ohdear: Also here's an picture of the silly lil fuzzball:

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Super Librarian posted:

I tried giving my cat Sunny her flea treatment stuff (Advantage II, large cat)--she was squirming a bunch, and I thought I had gotten it inbetween her shoulder blades but it's actually a bit off to her right side. She got away, and before I could catch her she licked at it once. I'm extremely worried about her (though I'm a bad person and I'll admit that she made a pretty hilarious face from the bitter taste), but so far she seems fine...?
She will be fine. Drooling or barfing is usually the worst that might happen. And for future reference, products like that typically have an 800 number on the box that you can call about stuff like this, and a real live person will assure you over the phone that your cat will be fine. :)

Advantage and Frontline and Revolution and the other big name brands are super safe stuff (as long as you don't put dog flea meds on a cat - that can be a very bad thing).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Super Librarian posted:

Since then (about half an hour ago), she's used the litter box normally (both #1 and #2, no apparently signs of diarrhea), eaten a bit, and she's drinking from her water bowl right now. She's her normal self so far, playing a lil but mostly lounging around as usual, no drooling or foaming at the mouth, no vomiting yet. I"m obviously keeping an eye on her, but should I still be in near-panic mode like I am, or are these good signs that she'll probably be alright? Should I call the vet tomorrow regardless?

I'm just scared about my poor kitty. :ohdear: Also here's an picture of the silly lil fuzzball:

No, it's harmless to eat. It just doesn't get into her blood that way. I guess it will kill any worms she's got more effectively, at least.

Advantage is a neurotoxin that gums up synapses. Fortunately for mammals, they have a blood-brain barrier to protect their synapses and it can't get through - so it's harmless to them. Invertebrates don't have that feature, so it paralyzes them.

As applied, it soaks through their skin and gets into the bloodstream, where it then selectively collects in sebaceous glands. Fleas (or ticks) bite, get a dose of it, and die.

It gradually leaches back into the blood, where the liver scavenges it and sends it on to the intestines intact, where it kills intestinal parasites before being pooped out. After about 30 days, enough has been lost that it's time to re-dose.

Overall, great stuff. Don't sweat it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

No, it's harmless to eat. It just doesn't get into her blood that way. I guess it will kill any worms she's got more effectively, at least.

Advantage is a neurotoxin that gums up synapses. Fortunately for mammals, they have a blood-brain barrier to protect their synapses and it can't get through - so it's harmless to them. Invertebrates don't have that feature, so it paralyzes them.

As applied, it soaks through their skin and gets into the bloodstream, where it then selectively collects in sebaceous glands. Fleas (or ticks) bite, get a dose of it, and die.

It gradually leaches back into the blood, where the liver scavenges it and sends it on to the intestines intact, where it kills intestinal parasites before being pooped out. After about 30 days, enough has been lost that it's time to re-dose.

Overall, great stuff. Don't sweat it.

a good post

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Crooked Booty posted:

She will be fine. Drooling or barfing is usually the worst that might happen. And for future reference, products like that typically have an 800 number on the box that you can call about stuff like this, and a real live person will assure you over the phone that your cat will be fine. :)

Oh right, I probably shoulda looked for that number on the box :shobon:

Deteriorata, that is an incredibly informative post, I really appreciate it! Thanks for the help guys

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

AAARGH.

I was lying in bed with a headache, and let the cats in for some company. After a while pottering around the bed, purring, headbutts, Wolfgang plonks himself down right in the middle of the doonah and pisses. WHAT THE HELL, CAT?!

Vet time, unfortunately. Cats pissing in soft comforting places is a sign that it hurts and male cats are prone to UTIs.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Organza Quiz posted:

Vet time, unfortunately. Cats pissing in soft comforting places is a sign that it hurts and male cats are prone to UTIs.

Oh. poo poo :(

e: just got off the phone to the vet. They said if he's straining or there's blood then bring him in ASAP, but since there wasn't it might have just been an accident, and just keep an eye on him.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 2, 2016

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Sex: boys
How long have you had your cat: nearly 3 years
Is your cat spayed or neutered: yes
What food do you use: Hills c/d dry
When was your last vet visit: September
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both: indoors only
How many pets in your household: I have two. Adjoined house has 2 cats, 1 dog
How many litter boxes do you have: twosleep.

So my cats and I are moving across the country (Missouri to NJ) and I'm looking for some good advice on long moves. I plan to break the trip into two days to make it slightly less stressful on the cats. Some questions I have:

1) I've heard to sedate them and was wondering what the consensus was on that? They generally hate the trip to the vet (about 10 minutes) and meow their heads off the entire ride. I'm hoping that after 30 minutes or so of driving, they'll settle down and sleep.
2) Should I make a litterbox available to them during the trip?
3) Should I keep them together in a crate (they're inseparable under normal circumstances) or should I keep them in individual carriers? For short trips, I keep them together in a medium-size dog crate, but that's much different than an extended trip.
4) Are there any general tips for minimizing the stress of traveling cross-country.
sta
When I arrive in NJ, I'm going to be temporarily staying with my parents for a few weeks while I wait to move into a permanent apartment (yeah, I know it sucks, but it's an economic necessity). Unfortunately, my father is very anti-pet and will only allow them on the condition that they stay in the basement the entire time. I plan on moving a bed down there so that I can stay down there at nights so they're not left alone at all times as I don't want to exacerbate the stresses of an unfamiliar environment. That said, this raises additional questions.
5) The basement is unfinished with cement floors. Is this fine or should I buy an area rug for then?
6) How can I best limit the areas they can and can't get to as I'm sure there's stuff down there that I would prefer they not get into?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get closer to the move, but I'm trying to start getting my ducks in a row.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Organza Quiz posted:

Actually, UTIs in cats are pretty rare. They tend to have really concentrated urine which isn't a good environment for bacteria to grow (unless they develop a disease that dilutes their urine). UTIs are more common in dogs, particularly females.

spregalia posted:

So my cats and I are moving across the country (Missouri to NJ) and I'm looking for some good advice on long moves. I plan to break the trip into two days to make it slightly less stressful on the cats. Some questions I have:

My cats have undergone quite a few long distance moves. I tried to sedate them, but it led to them vomiting and emptying their bowels everywhere. Now I don't sedate them. At first they're a bit loud but then they eventually settle. They share a carrier because they go crazy if separated. They also have a small litter box. That system works well for them. You can buy a rug for them but honestly they will probably either lay on the floor or on your bed. It's a good idea to scope out the basement before you let them loose, and look for anything dangerous to cats or any particularly dangerous spots they could crawl into and block it off.

Braki fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 2, 2016

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Braki posted:

Actually, UTIs in cats are pretty rare. They tend to have really concentrated urine which isn't a good environment for bacteria to grow (unless they develop a disease that dilutes their urine). UTIs are more common in dogs, particularly females.

Yeah, I was thinking of crystals.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
My three-ish-year-old female cat is clearly upset and I can't figure out how to help her feel better.

We got her from the Humane Society in January and she settled in fine, but she's always been a little on the nervous side and is a master of finding hiding spots.

We generally have a pretty quiet house and have no other pets so she gradually got to be more confident around us. June was a really busy month - we were away for the first weekend and she went to stay at my uncle's place. They foster kittens so are great with cats, and she did great over that weekend with no issues. Then we had folks to stay for pretty much every subsequent weekend, and also my husband started a new job where he's no longer working from home. The last week or so she's been very vocal, she peed on the office floor, pooped on the bathmat, and this morning as I was headed toward the door she took a running leap, bit me on the leg, and stood there hissing at me until I sat down with her and petted her for 15 minutes or so.

My impression is that she's feeling really stressed out from all the changes and activity going on. Of course we've made an appointment with the vet to make sure nothing else is going on, but if it is mostly stress what can we do to help her feel better? July should be a much more low-key month, which I hope will help. We're giving her lots of extra attention and cuddles, of course. What else can we do?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My cat Pizza is also a pretty skittish dude. We have been using these on him and it seems to help him a lot. He isn't as easily startled and he has even come out and interacted with guests, which is a big deal for him.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Dogfish posted:

Stressed out cat

Feliway diffusers are a god send in cases like this. We used one to great effect when we moved apartments and we just started using it again to help with a stressed cat on the advice of our vet.
Providing your vet finds nothing else to be amiss, give the Feliway a try.

Edit: Check around to see if maybe there is a stray cat in your area who has been visiting your property. Our little guy has been acting up thanks to the neighbors cat peering onto our balcony. So that's something else to look into.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I bought a ssscat because I don't want my dumb cat on my counters.

It's great at sporadically spraying at people and scaring them. But it doesn't spray at the cat whose big dumb face is right up in it.

This thing was $30, why does the sensor suck so bad :mad:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Canadian Bakin posted:

Feliway diffusers are a god send in cases like this. We used one to great effect when we moved apartments and we just started using it again to help with a stressed cat on the advice of our vet.
Providing your vet finds nothing else to be amiss, give the Feliway a try.

Edit: Check around to see if maybe there is a stray cat in your area who has been visiting your property. Our little guy has been acting up thanks to the neighbors cat peering onto our balcony. So that's something else to look into.

There IS a stray cat who hangs out on our porch steps! I haven't been discouraging him too vigorously because we have a comfy sheltered porch perfect for cat lounging (and since my cat is a strictly indoor lady I feel like someone should enjoy it!) and he keeps the squirrels away from my plants. But if he's stressing Agatha out I'll firmly request he go chill elsewhere.

Thanks to you and Huntersoninski for the Feliway/calming collar suggestions! If all's well at the vet we'll stop at the pet shop on the way home.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Careful though, pet shops mark up those collars by a lot (my town's petsmart has them at $15 each versus Amazon's $13 for 3).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Canadian Bakin posted:

Feliway diffusers are a god send in cases like this.

Where's a good place to get that? They're so expensive around here.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Khizan posted:

Get thee to Amazon! The system seems to be going for about 40-ish bucks or less. And refills are decently priced too.

Dogfish, you could try calling any of your local rescues to see if they do TNR or street rescues for older cats. And be sure to still take kitty to the vet as the stray might not be the cause of your current problems. Good luck figuring everything out!

Canadian Bakin fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 3, 2016

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Khizan posted:

Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone...eywords=feliway

Petsmart was charging 50 when I checked.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Jonesy started kneading his paws on my head and it was drat adorable :supaburn:

On a side note, does anyone else's cats have a chubby belly mane that wobbles when they walk?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Canadian Bakin posted:

Dogfish, you could try calling any of your local rescues to see if they do TNR or street rescues for older cats. And be sure to still take kitty to the vet as the stray might not be the cause of your current problems. Good luck figuring everything out!

Thanks; I had never heard of TNR before you mentioned it. There are a couple of feral cat advocacy/rescue groups in my city so I will call and see what they can do. I'm pretty sure he's a stray; he's not too skinny but he's very, very wary of humans. And yes, for sure Agatha will be going to the vet to make sure everything's tip-top with her.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MrSlam posted:

On a side note, does anyone else's cats have a chubby belly mane that wobbles when they walk?

It's called the "primordial pouch" and most cats have it to some extent. It's basically loose skin that provides a bit of extra protection against getting their belly raked when they fight other cats, and it also helps them to do that impossible looking cat stretch.

It's more noticeable on some cats than others, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the cat is overweight; my cat has a very obvious one and she's a bit under 8lbs.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Khizan posted:

It's called the "primordial pouch" and most cats have it to some extent. It's basically loose skin that provides a bit of extra protection against getting their belly raked when they fight other cats, and it also helps them to do that impossible looking cat stretch.

It's more noticeable on some cats than others, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the cat is overweight; my cat has a very obvious one and she's a bit under 8lbs.

Thank you! I was almost ready to ask a vet if it was a sign of something or if he should go on a diet! You saved me $60 and Jonesy a ride in the scariest car in the world.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Khizan posted:

I believe the correct term is "sassy pants."

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Khizan posted:

I always thought it was just a thing that happened after getting spayed

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its their danglebelly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

duckfarts posted:

I always thought it was just a thing that happened after getting spayed

I heard it contributes because some muscle is cut but I have no idea if that's true.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet has a pretty noticeable one and he's a boy (I assume, I haven't asked him for his pronouns), so I don't think it's related to spaying. He's also not fat or anything. It's a normal part of their anatomy and there's supposedly some evolution-related reason for it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Egyptian Maus have a bit of a pouch that seems to help them run faster by helping with balance.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

SynthOrange posted:

Its their danglebelly.

I believe the technical term is "wobbletums."

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

MrSlam posted:

Oliver has had one of these all his life. It's pretty funny when he runs and it flaps side to side. He's barely 5kg and the vet doesn't think he's overwieght for his age.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well, Tuna overcame his hatred of Tabasco long enough to chew yet another iPad cable, so now I'm running the whole thing through a thickass vinyl tube. Can't wait to see how like it takes him to bite it in half.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

MrSlam posted:

aka the "spay sway"

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I just brought a second cat home, and I'm a bit worried about her not eating. I got her home very late Friday night, and it is now Monday morning, and it does not look like she's eaten or drank at all. She's pretty freaked out, which makes lot of sense, obviously, but I don't want her to go much longer without eating.

Will she eventually decide to eat once she gets hungry enough? I've made food super accessible - last night I put some wet food IN her hiding place - but she still doesn't touch. Or will she starve herself so long that she ends up with liver damage?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I think one of my cats is participating in a plot to slowly drive me insane from sleep deprivation. No matter how much I ignore her, she keeps waking me up demanding to be fed early. It is a serious problem at this point. I am going to get an automated feeder. Any suggestions on a particular make, model or brand? A lot of them seem really cheap and likely to break or be broken into by a cat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Well, Tuna overcame his hatred of Tabasco long enough to chew yet another iPad cable, so now I'm running the whole thing through a thickass vinyl tube. Can't wait to see how like it takes him to bite it in half.

Trip Report: Tuna instead chewed the cable right at the base of the iPad, so that he broke off the part that sticks into the iPad itself. I was able to pry it out but god dammit Tuna I've bought you a bunch of other things that are great to chew why do you have to do this. I'm just going to have to throw a loving blanket over it all the time, aren't I.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Stop paying attention to the glowing rectangle

Start petting Tuna more

Yeah, right there, under the chin

Isn't this better than the rectangle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Diogines posted:

I think one of my cats is participating in a plot to slowly drive me insane from sleep deprivation. No matter how much I ignore her, she keeps waking me up demanding to be fed early. It is a serious problem at this point. I am going to get an automated feeder. Any suggestions on a particular make, model or brand? A lot of them seem really cheap and likely to break or be broken into by a cat.

I have this one (it's a common model that may go under multiple brand names)

Oxgord Automatic Electronic Timer Programmable Dog Feeder for Large to Small Dogs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MU2F8C6/

It's still working on the first set of batteries I put in it, and it's been like two years or so. The only issue is that the smallest amount it dumps out is a more than I'd really like and I'm just too lazy to mod it to block off part of the feed mechanism.