Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Quick update, Hamilton doesn't like goat's milk but is doing a good deal better today, brighter and more alert, mouth is a bit less sore, and when he is given his food syringe he's pretty eager for it (but he has a blocked up nose currently so he has no interest in it otherwise, because he can't smell it). Hopefully within the next couple of days he'll be able to eat on his own, and if so he's probably going to recover I would bet.

Thanks for all the support and ideas guys :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

MrSlam posted:

I'm a little nervous.

I opened a can of wet food but the tab came off, so I opened it using an electric can opener. It ended up having this thin curly-Q of metal along the side but otherwise it looked fine and I didn't see any obvious metal in the food when I dumped it out. A couple hours go by and now I'm worried, "What if my cat swallowed a jagged piece of metal I somehow missed?" I looked through the food afterward and couldn't find anything and threw it away just for good measure but I can't get beyond it.

you're probably fine. if you're really worried about it next time, don't cut all the way around the can and leave a little bit so you hinge the top up, and wave a magnet around the food after you dump it out.
this will make sure the molecules in the food are all aligned properly for easier digestion

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Oscar arrived this morning, and things went about as well as I could have hoped for. They weren't instant best buds or anything, but outside of Tuna swatting Oscar once they've been doing just fine, and I'm sure they'll warm up to each other with time.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

My cat has recently started pooping in inappropriate places.

We got a new kitten about a year ago and things were fine. Recently we've been finding poop under my girlfriend's desk and under the table by the door to our apartment and were finally able to identify the pooper (I have 2 sister cats so we weren't sure). Kitten is grown now and is kind of a bully and recently she's been ambushing the other cats at the litter box (we have 1 for the 3 of them).

What can we do to get her pooping in the box again?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

(we have 1 for the 3 of them).

I found your problem.

Seriously, I would be iffy about having two cats share a litterbox, I can't imagine having three cats and only one box, even cleaning it out regularly.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
So long story short I've ended up with a 3 or 4 day old kitten. I took her to the vet and he said she looks ok and have me a can of KMR and a bottle to feed her.

So far she had been ok. She's been waking up crying for food and eating just about every two hours on the dot. We couldn't get her to poop so I took her back to the vet today and they were able to grt her to poop and said that she was just a little backed up. Hopefully everything will go easy now.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for caring for a kitten this small? I've never had a pet that I had to bottle feed before or this small and young before.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Lord of Hats posted:

I found your problem.

Seriously, I would be iffy about having two cats share a litterbox, I can't imagine having three cats and only one box, even cleaning it out regularly.

seriously. standard rule of thumb is 1 for each plus one, you can get away with 1 for 1 if you keep up with it but 3 in one? it better be kiddy pool sized or something otherwise it aint gonna work friend.

katka posted:

So long story short I've ended up with a 3 or 4 day old kitten. I took her to the vet and he said she looks ok and have me a can of KMR and a bottle to feed her.

So far she had been ok. She's been waking up crying for food and eating just about every two hours on the dot. We couldn't get her to poop so I took her back to the vet today and they were able to grt her to poop and said that she was just a little backed up. Hopefully everything will go easy now.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for caring for a kitten this small? I've never had a pet that I had to bottle feed before or this small and young before.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768887

get here. we are having not the best kitten season but there is help here for ya (not from me though)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

It is a very large box and my two cats grew up from kittens sharing it. They're ~6 now and while they're not fans of each other litter/food has never been an issue. This new cat has thrown off the careful equilibrium we've established. The main problem is our apartment layout isn't great for catbox placement, but I ordered one and we're going to clear out a room/closet (like I said, awkward layout). Should arrive Sunday, hopefully no more misplaced poops after that.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

The Lord of Hats posted:

I found your problem.

All my cats only use one box even though I have a ton. I have to clean the drat thing 3-4 times a day and wash it once a week (sometimes twice). Cats are loving weird.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

katka posted:

PLEASE post pictures PLEASE

katka
Apr 18, 2008

I'm just about to walk out the door for work, but I'll post some for sure tomorrow.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

What are the general signs to look for to distinguish cat wrestling from actual cat fighting? I get the sense that Tuna and Oscar are getting along fine--there's no hissing, they're not folding their ears back or doing anything I understand to be actual aggressive cat body language, but there is a lot of pouncing going on, mostly by Tuna on Oscar, but also sometimes the reverse. Oscar being the smaller cat, he tends to be getting out-wrestled in these encounters and I'm hearing a lot of meows of dismay out of him, but I don't know if that's "Oh geez, this is going worse than I thought" or "I am actually afraid please help".

They seem to be having some pretty casual interactions as well, I just want to be sure this isn't a week of terror for Oscar.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

What are the general signs to look for to distinguish cat wrestling from actual cat fighting? I get the sense that Tuna and Oscar are getting along fine--there's no hissing, they're not folding their ears back or doing anything I understand to be actual aggressive cat body language, but there is a lot of pouncing going on, mostly by Tuna on Oscar, but also sometimes the reverse. Oscar being the smaller cat, he tends to be getting out-wrestled in these encounters and I'm hearing a lot of meows of dismay out of him, but I don't know if that's "Oh geez, this is going worse than I thought" or "I am actually afraid please help".

They seem to be having some pretty casual interactions as well, I just want to be sure this isn't a week of terror for Oscar.

That sounds like completely normal cat stuff. Being assholes to each other is part of cat social life. Pouncing is all part of playing and interacting.

It's bad when there's actual scratching and biting - blood and tufts of fur missing. Everything else is just rasslin'.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

katka posted:

Cats that young typically aren't able to poop for themselves- Mom sort of moves the process along via grooming the area. You'll probably need to wash her backside with a warm, damp washcloth to simulate what mom would be doing for her until she gets older and the poop comes on its own.

Also, kudos to you for taking care of a bottle baby. I've only ever fostered kittens that young who still had mom taking care of them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The Lord of Hats posted:

The signs you mentioned are the ones to look for, along with Deteriorata's comments on drawing blood or fur flying (though those can still happen from general rambunctiousness, especially if there are younger cats involved). Doesn't sound like there's real fighting there. Cats don't actually like to have serious fights, and much prefer to hash out that kind of dispute through hissing, spitting, and growling until someone chickens out, maybe with some swipes or that rapid batting they do. The other thing to watch for is if Oscar wants to hide in places (One of ours, Jinx, gets really grumpy whenever the others try to play with him, and runs behind my monitor whenever it happens. Usually by going over my arm/hand with his claws out.) but even then, it might just be a comfy place he likes hanging out rather than an actual shelter from Tuna. It actually sounds like you've got a couple of cats who are getting on real well and being playful :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also hissing can just mean a 'you're getting way too rough there buddy!' warning. YMMV depending on your cat.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

PLEASE post pictures PLEASE

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768887&pagenumber=14#post463640529

pictures in that post for ya

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Get a shoe
Put the cat in the shoe
Take pictures of shoecat

jules rules

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

The Lord of Hats posted:

Basically when they start yeowling and screaming insanely is when it's bad and an actual fight.

Rastling, even holding back ears and hissing is ok. It's either cats establishing dominance, OR it may be one cat wants to play but the other doesn't. If it gets a too aggressive you can come in and be like, "calm down you guys." Two of my cats do it all the time but then at night they sleep together.

OH MY GOD KITTON :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
So this adorable little poo poo is coming home with me on Tuesday. He's from a feral mama that needed a c-section, and my coworker has been bottle raising him ever since. Last Friday he was four weeks old and a full pound...he's gonna be a monster. His name is Sushi :3:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
So I made the joyous discovery that one of my cats has been peeing outside the box, mostly on my beautiful rug, but also plastic drop, cardboard, insulation and tile. Based on the terrible amount of staining on the back of the rugs, I have to assume the problem dates back two months ago to when we moved in. Both cats are going to the vet tomorrow, but since this is a new vet and I've never had a cat that didn't pee outside of the box without a very obvious reason, what should I expect besides an exam and a UA?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guys Hamilton looks like he's going to pull through without needing a feeding tube, he's started eating and drinking on his own and has perked up hugely, he has some interest in play as well and is starting to properly explore his new home. Thank you all so much for your advice and input and support :kimchi:

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

So this adorable little poo poo is coming home with me on Tuesday. He's from a feral mama that needed a c-section, and my coworker has been bottle raising him ever since. Last Friday he was four weeks old and a full pound...he's gonna be a monster. His name is Sushi :3:

:kyoon: HOW THEY SO SMOL???

Brennanite posted:

So I made the joyous discovery that one of my cats has been peeing outside the box, mostly on my beautiful rug, but also plastic drop, cardboard, insulation and tile. Based on the terrible amount of staining on the back of the rugs, I have to assume the problem dates back two months ago to when we moved in. Both cats are going to the vet tomorrow, but since this is a new vet and I've never had a cat that didn't pee outside of the box without a very obvious reason, what should I expect besides an exam and a UA?

Probably questions about the living situation, any changes you've undertaken recently (such as moving house :v:), other pets and how they all get on, how many litter trays you have and how often you clean/change them, that kind of thing. If the analysis doesn't turn anything up it's almost certainly going to be something psychological, so that kind of question will hopefully point to the answers. I'd be shocked if they jumped to anything beyond what you mention without exploring psychological options first, so you shouldn't need to worry about them probing your kitty too much right now.

e; Here pic of Hamilton from a day or two ago. Skinny scruffy precious thing!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Thin Privilege posted:

Basically when they start yeowling and screaming insanely is when it's bad and an actual fight.

Even then, you might just have a dramatic cat. My smaller female starts complaining at great length and volume the minute my big male starts pouncing on her, then seconds after I break it up she'll run up to him, smack his butt and then run off screaming as he starts chasing her again.

god drat ridiculous animals :kimchi:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

doublepost because I just remembered I have a question

I'm getting married soon and I'll be speding about 5 days out of my apartment at my family's place (about an hour and a half away). Of the following two options, which is less worse?

1) Bring cats with me. They hate travel, and obviously most cats hate new places, but they've been to my parents place a number of times and after a day or two they're generally not too unhappy about it.

2) Leave cats at home, alone, with lots of food. We usually do this if we're going to be gone for a day or two - fill the crap out of their food bowls and make sure their water dispenser thinger is full. We'd have to come back to replenish early on day 3, obviously, but they'd basically be completely alone for about 5 days.

If you have an option 3 that is better than both of these and is not "have someone housesit" (nobody is avail), let me know.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so occasional kitten checker upper is not an option either? doesnt need to be constant but maybe 2-3 check ins over the week is not a horrid idea.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Not really. We don't know anyone who lives close enough to us for it to be convenient, we're on the fringes of a big city and most of our friends and family are either in the middle of the city or in another city altogether.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

ChickenWing posted:

Even then, you might just have a dramatic cat. My smaller female starts complaining at great length and volume the minute my big male starts pouncing on her, then seconds after I break it up she'll run up to him, smack his butt and then run off screaming as he starts chasing her again.

god drat ridiculous animals :kimchi:

You summed up the ongoing war in my household pretty well I think. It's a never ending cycle of violence.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ChickenWing posted:

Not really. We don't know anyone who lives close enough to us for it to be convenient, we're on the fringes of a big city and most of our friends and family are either in the middle of the city or in another city altogether.

You can pay a stranger to feed, change litter, and play with /exercise your cats while you are gone

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

Are there no professional petsitters in your area? When I went on holiday for two weeks last year we paid someone to come in every day to feed and check up on the cats. They do a 20-minute visit, scoop the boxes, make sure everyone's okay etc.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I have cat sitters that are available to cat sit on holidays unlike most local area friends, and it can be $20 - $40 / visit.

Cats that are stressed out may stop:

Eating
Drinking
Playing
Grooming
Peeing in a litter box
Pooping in a litter box
Peeing or pooping anywhere

Which of these need to be addressed first? My new cat, Siggi, was in a rescue house that took her from a backyard breeder and being really gentle stuck in a house with a lot of other cats, she's had it pretty rough. Per the Method of cat introductions, she's well isolated with cat needs and is only now after 1 day grooming. Seems to trust the humans - she gets in our laps and purrs fine but is wee obsessed with petting. She would hide from us at first until we brushed her and she hides when you leave for a while. So needless to say, this cat has stress issues and besides trying the Feliway collar (she's never worn a collar, fun) and just reassuring her nearly 24/7 and trying to get her to eat food from my fingers I'm not sure what I can do.

Cat tax payment

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Probably questions about the living situation, any changes you've undertaken recently (such as moving house :v:), other pets and how they all get on, how many litter trays you have and how often you clean/change them, that kind of thing. If the analysis doesn't turn anything up it's almost certainly going to be something psychological, so that kind of question will hopefully point to the answers. I'd be shocked if they jumped to anything beyond what you mention without exploring psychological options first, so you shouldn't need to worry about them probing your kitty too much right now.

Thanks for the reassurance. The vet feels it is indeed psychological, so extra litter boxes in quiet, safe locations for us! They got the 3 yr rabies vaccine as a bonus. We live in an area where rabies is endemic, so it's nice not to have to worry about it for a few years.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm having trouble introducing my cat to my roommate's cat. I moved in about a month ago, and her cat had free run of the house. Now my cat basically lives in my bedroom and her cat is locked out of the bedroom. I'd really like to get the two of them on friendly terms, but my cat is a humongous scaredy cat. The thing where you feed them at the same on either side of a door doesn't really work because both cats are free-feeders normally. As well, my cat is a scaredy cat who would cower away from the door, and her cat is a very friendly ex-stray that isn't scared at all so he'd bolt all his food and then wander off.

Anybody have any advice on this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have they actually met yet? There's the swap rooms routine, or in this case room/house swap for as long as the cats are comfortable to get used to each others smells.

Though with a month, you could probably go to the supervised visit into the room by friendly cat.

i.e.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_mgXHAMDZI

Just watch their body language.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Hi guys, I'm having a conundrum about a neighborhood outdoor cat that frequents my backyard. He is obviously someone's cat as he is reasonably well-fed, extremely affectionate and will run right up to you for rubs and pets and purr the entire time. It doesn't seem like whoever owns him is doing a particularly good job at it though, as he's had a raspy cough for a couple weeks now, has a decent injury in his shoulder where it looks like he got bit or poked by something, and of course is not neutered and running around a neighborhood with a busy road.

I normally would try to just let things be but a couple weeks ago another outdoor cat (this one either a stray or just much more shy) got hit by a car in front of our home and apparently lived long enough to drag herself to the curb, and it was really heartbreaking even though my encounters with her up until then had been leaving food at and seeing her at the edge of the back yard hiding in the bushes.

Is there a good solution to making sure this kitty gets the attention he needs / not run over by a bus without kidnapping him or risking him getting put down by animal control?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you could steal the cat so it doesnt get hit by a bus or put down by animal control?

Not too many "nice" ways to deal with it short of tucking your clanking brass balls into your loincloth and going to have a talk with the neighbor if you know who it is, or maybe "detain" the cat for a bit with food and whatnot until the owner comes looking.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my wife is mad because our new cat has started biting her clothes and jewelry and sometimes her legs when he sits on her. we had him about a month and this started in the last week or so. he doesn't do damage its more like mouthing but he's a young guy (2ish) with very sharp teeth.

he also bites blankets and stuffed animals you name it but that doesn't hurt anybody.

any tips to discourage other than stopping all attention when it happens?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah figured as much, closest thing I could find that didn't involve active catnapping would be our local trap / neuter / release program, which is clearly intended for strays and feral colonies but could at least get the guy a free checkup from a vet and would keep him from knocking up all the ladycats around here. Was hoping there was some easy answer I just wasn't considering.

As for talking to the owners - unfortunately it's difficult to figure out who the owner is - we're surrounded by apartment buildings and multi-family homes and I've seen this particular cat a few blocks away while out on jogs so that narrows it down to like a few hundred people. :sigh: Might try to bring him inside and I guess just keep him in the spare room to avoid our real cat getting fleas / his cat cough / cat AIDS / whatever. Post some FOUND CAT fliers around and see if anyone gets back to us so I can tell them to keep him inside. <:mad:>

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Yeah figured as much, closest thing I could find that didn't involve active catnapping would be our local trap / neuter / release program, which is clearly intended for strays and feral colonies but could at least get the guy a free checkup from a vet and would keep him from knocking up all the ladycats around here. Was hoping there was some easy answer I just wasn't considering.

As for talking to the owners - unfortunately it's difficult to figure out who the owner is - we're surrounded by apartment buildings and multi-family homes and I've seen this particular cat a few blocks away while out on jogs so that narrows it down to like a few hundred people. :sigh: Might try to bring him inside and I guess just keep him in the spare room to avoid our real cat getting fleas / his cat cough / cat AIDS / whatever. Post some FOUND CAT fliers around and see if anyone gets back to us so I can tell them to keep him inside. <:mad:>

I don't think he's necessarily someone else's cat. He might be well fed because he's receiving food from several houses and some strays are just really friendly. If he's not wearing a collar and you don't see a tattoo, I'd suggest taking him to the vet so they can check for a chip and then putting up some notices saying you've found him. If no one claims him, congrats on your new cat.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Contact the TNR anyway. They'll probably scan him for a microchip if he's tame before they give him surgery and medical care, and if you want to adopt him from there you should be able to. Otherwise they can get him sent to a rescue where he'll be able to find a good home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So silly question. my cat, for whatever reason, really likes tearing apart balls of tin foil with her teeth. it's her favorite thing. can anyone think of something else that might give her whatever satisfaction she gets from this without creating a mess/being kinda noisy, or am I just doomed to cleaning up shreds of tin foil?