Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yesterday I adopted a 6month old boy cat Pizza Brother from the APL to be a brother for my one-year-old lady cat Ozma. Both fixed and up-to-date. Two questions:

Pete's got a runny/swollen eye. The APL gave me some neosporin-like gel in a tube to apply to his eye twice a day. But he's also got a runny nose and seems to be experiencing some stuffy nose/breathing issues. They said the worst of his cold is over...how long should I wait before calling them back and asking for an appointment/more meds? Should I be worried about Ozma catching it (they said she wouldn't if she was up-to-date, which she is)?

Also, I've got Pete confined to my bathroom right now. The bathroom is in my bedroom. I've read that the first few days they shouldn't see each other, then set up a babygate, then supervised together time, then freedom, and that it can take up to 2 months.

They are aware of each other, and right now Ozma is piiissed. She doesn't freeze up at the bathroom door anymore, but if Pete tries to stuff his paws under the door after her she hisses and swats at them. Sometimes she'll let a low rumbly growl.

Should I allow this? I get they're not going to fall in love at first sight and get married and have no babies together happily ever after in just a couple days, and that they're gonna have some hostilities to start with, but how much should I let happen? When she hisses and growls and swats, do I just call to her to distract her, or pet her, or scold her? Or just leave her alone? I don't want to kick her out of the bedroom and upset her worse. Obviously they can't hurt each other under the door, but I want to make this as painless as possible for all parties.

I understand the overall steps of cat introduction, but it's the details where I'm fuzzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Hissing/growling/swatting okay. Just leave it. They have to work it out on their own. As for Pete, if he starts getting more lethargic or less interested in food, then you need to get him to the vet. If he's just got the sniffles right now but he's eating okay, he's fine.

Thank you for the reply! Good to know - I'll let them be. And yeah, Pete's got plenty of energy and he's eating regularly and seems to be drinking well too, so I'll sit on it. Poor guy.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
While we're talking about cat introductions:

Ozma (1 year old) has been pretty good about not going all stiff and squally when Pete (6mo old new guy) is heard/seen from his spot in the bathroom, so I decided to take it to the Next Level and install a baby gate in the doorway.

I did so, and after a few minutes Ozma strolled into the room. Through the gate, they touched noses and pawed at each other.

Then that little rear end in a top hat Pete just up and pops right over the gate! Ozma hisses and swats at him, but he doesnt even give a single poo poo. He wanders down the hallway, sniffing at the new environment, and she's following him the whole way, hissing, sniffing his rear end, squalling and hissing, swatting him, sniffing his butt, repeat. She's managed to get a few solid hits on his head but no real damage. He does not seem to even care.

I'm trying to be neutral though I frankly didn't expect him to just hop over and ignore her completely. Right now he's exploring each area of the house with her hot on his heels, smacking him til he moves to the net area.

...Should I stop this after a certain amount of time? Or right now? No one is being hurt, but I really thought he'd stay on his side of the gate at this point!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Hahaha they're doing fine.

Now they're racing around the house all fluffy tailed and crazy oh god just like each other :ohdear:

edit: she's irritated...he might just be having fun

edit part two: why she gotta be such a jerk to him, he's just tryin to explore :saddowns:

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 24, 2012

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Eggplant Wizard posted:

It's fine they're fine. I'm not fine though; haven't seen a single picture of the wee Pete.

Every time I try to take his picture he explodes into a blur (or Ozma chases him out of frame so all I get is a pic of her all puffy and mean-looking).

I'll see if I can get a video though. They've torn my living room up with their antics (and yet neither of them have actually landed a hit on each other all day. A little hissing, some vague air-swatting, but some nooose touching :3:)

edit: hnnng he just ran up to her and stuck his nose in her neck like he does w/ me and she didn't hit him I'm dying of cuuute...and now she's being an rear end in a top hat again awww)

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 24, 2012

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Eggplant Wizard posted:

They may now be playing, friend. Nose-touching is a good sign.

Yeah, they're seeming to get along OK and have only had a couple real-sounding spats in the last several hours (usually Ozma getting bent out of shape about something). Also, play or not, they've managed to tire themselves out tearing around the house (knocking my stuff everywhere) enough that I could get them to take pictuuures!

They're quick to ruin shots. When I framed this picture with my camera, it was both of them on the floor next to me. In the time it took to press the button:

When I framed up THIS shot, it was Pete by himself...

Both those ruined photos courtesy of the princess Ozma:

Here they are EXISTING IN THE SAME SPACE :supaburn:

EVEN CLOSER

But here's the man himself:

His eye is still a little swollen and irritated, but not as weepy. He does still have the odd coughing fit/sniffle, but on the whole he's energetic and drinks/eats plenty.

Oz may harbor some resentment...

But how can you hate this face?

...anyway sorry if I got carried away, but this is the first time they've been within 2 feet of each other AND sitting still enough for pictures. I'll move them if they're in the way. Thanks again Eggplant Wizard for the feedback

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Geno posted:

Anyone here have a problem with being allergic to cats?

I've been allergic to cats since I was young and couple years ago, I lived with someone who had two cats. The first week sucked but after that, I was fine where I wasn't feeling any symptoms at all.

I got my cat in March and like before, I had symptoms for the first couple days and was fine for awhile. About a month ago, my allergies started flaring up again. I would wake up with my nose just runny and I could feel my breathing suffer a little. I got an air purifier for my bedroom and it's helped a lot however, the problem still persists in my living room and kitchen.

I'm thinking about getting a cleaning lady to for my apartment but they have deep and light cleaning. I'm assuming the deep cleaning uses some type of chemicals and I have no idea if they're harmful for my cat. Should I just err on the side of caution and just stick with the light cleaning?

Do you have a menstrual cycle? Because I have terrible allergy flare-ups during certain points in my cycle, sometimes people's cycles amplify illness and allergies, the phenomenon has a name but I'll be damned if I can remember it.

Are you taking any allergy meds? Maybe switch them up? You can always ask the cleaning company about the chemicals they use and whether or not they recommend boarding the pet for the process, or whatever.

edit: is your cat fixed? I've read that fixed cats make less of the allergy hormone, I've noticed my allergies respond a lot more violently to unaltered cats versus those who have been fixed.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
When I got my kitten he had just improved from an upper respiratory infection. His eye was swollen and runny, but they said that should be the last of his symptoms and gave me some gel to put in his eye a couple times a day.

It's been over a week and he's not much improved. His eye is not swollen, but it is definitely squinty and sensitive, and runny. His nose is also runny, he occasionally sneezes, but most worryingly for me, he will maybe once a day that I've seen, have a coughing fit on phlegm.

He's eating, drinking, and playing plenty, but I'm worried! They said he should be improved in a week! And since it's been 8 days, his illness is technically my problem - only if I called the APL within seven days would they help me take care of it. I'm still going to try them, but if they tell me they can't help me, how worried should I be? How much more time should I give this eye gel to work?

He's running around like a crazy cat now, and if it weren't for his runny face he'd look totally healthy. Some nights he does seem vastly improved. But some days, like today, his eye is all gunky and he just looks sad (when you can get him to sit still that is).

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
maybe go to the shelter with the vet's report, and tell them that their foster choice for that cat was a poor one and you would advise them not to continue to trust them with cats? Sorry they didn't do a good job preparing her for a home, but it shouldn't be your problem. :(

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
edit: well I can't tell if you were being snarky or not, so if you were, lame, and if not, ignore me.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Poor thing :( I'm sorry that shelter was so awful. I adopted my second cat through the APL. He had a cold, but they provided medicine, and after a week when he hadn't improved, let him come back for a checkup/new meds for free. Hopefully you find a place like that.

Unfortunately, Pete has managed (apparently) to give Ozma his infection despite the APL saying she'd be fine if she was up to date (which she is). She started acting lethargic, gagging and retching, and not eating, so I took her to the vet, who thought she must have swallowed something like yarn or string or a rubber band, and went in to operate.

...The operation turned up nothing, but they did discover Ozma's throat was all inflamed and giving off discharge. So now the poor thing's had surgery for nothing, I'm 2k in the hole, she's been home for about three hours and still hasn't eaten or had any water even though she was supposed to have eaten twice by now, and I don't know what to do, my poor baby :( I just don't know what to do for her. If I sit in with there I just cry every time she chokes or groans so I'm just in here with Pete feeling awful :(

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^ I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things get better :(

Ozma's finally drinking! She's gone to her water bowl three times in the last ten minutes, I was getting so worried! I still haven't made a ton of headway with her eating, but seeing her drink water puts my mind slightly more at ease. My poor kitty. I hope she gets better, and soon :(

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

demozthenes posted:

Does anybody have experience making their own cat shelves? I'm buying a condo that has a finished basement, the windows down there are at ground level and so they're very high up on the walls. Putting in a huge cat tree or spending $70+ a pop on cat-specific shelves isn't something that I'm interested in, so I was thinking of making some shelves like these ones, topped with either adhesive-backed felt or some glued-down carpet scraps, leading up to one of the windows.

My cat is small, about 7lbs. at her heaviest, for reference. Is there anything beyond max load and non-skid surface that I should be considering?

Last time I looked, for around $50 you can get a set of door-hanging cat shelves that are pretty well constructed. They hang off the door like a piece of poo poo, but the hooks are easily enough removed and the shelves drilled into the wall.

here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001362AFS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Not exactly cheap, but I have them, they're quality (except for the lovely door hooks, which is why it's currently laying on my floor til I figure something out since I don't think I can mount it to the wall in this apartment)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
It can take a couple months for two adult cats to get used to each other - most families who adopt a second adult cat aren't prepared to wait that long and give it up as hopeless. Owning two cats is a good idea, and while there are some cats who really and truly cannot share a home with another, most can and do adapt. But cats in general do better with other cats around.

My sister has a grumpy (and OLD and SET IN HIS WAYS) loving cat who hates all other cats, but after about four months, he was sharing rooms with her other cats, choosing to sleep where the others slept, after a year, he's sharing his sleeping spots, but not everyone has the patience of my sister.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

duckfarts posted:

OP actually makes the recommendation for kittens, and I don't think it's horrible disowning a cat if you got it from a shelter or something similar; you tried, didn't work out, you monster.

Yeah, that's what shelters' return policies are for.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'm sorry to hear that :( Yeah the kind of owner that would "trade in" an old companion for a new cat isn't the kind of owner who would have the patience to introduce new cats (and who frankly should maybe reconsider owning cats at all, no offense to your family)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Til your cat stops smelling like the vet and acting weird, I imagine. They'll settle back in.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My cat's on antibiotics every 12 hours, 8 and 8. I forgot to give her this morning's dose and came back home to give it at 11. Should I now be giving her the meds at 11 and 11, or go back to 8 this evening?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Can cats get bumps on their heads if they smack their head against something? Pete is ALWAYS loving running into poo poo, walls, the door...he likes getting under the bed and whapping his drat skull against the frame trying to dart out.

We keep blocking up the bed but I'll be damned if he doesn't keep finding ways under there. Today I dragged him out and discovered a kind of scary lump on his forehead...he's acting the same, eating fine, using the box fine, but...how worried should I be? can cats get head lumps?

I bought him some hidey-hole cat structures and some calm down spray and a ball track to keep him constructively occupied. I'm hoping it goes away, Ozma has really done a number on my wallet with her whole "swallowed-string-get-surgery-oops-just-kidding-it's-a-cold" routine.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
haha nice. Did you wash the kitty right away? Caffeine can enter through the skin and is poison to cats :ohdear:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That much is not going to hurt her.

Ok good all I was told was POISON NEVER GIVE and so I've been so paranoid w/ my teas and coffees...

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Try a ball track. I got Ozma a pretty cheap one that's just a circle wi/ a cardboard scratch spot in the middle. Sprinkle some catnip on that fucker and there is nothing else she would rather do than kick the poo poo out of that ball forever.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My cat has a minor eye infection. They gave me some gel to apply to her eye twice a day...how do I get her to stop rubbing it off? As soon as I put it on, she's rubbing her eye w/ her paw and licking it off.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Try pumpkin? And good luck, I hope kitty's ok.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My cat was like this - turns out she had a very sore throat and couldn't bear eating...I don't know what the odds are of that in your cat, but maybe it's something non-obvious like that?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Radio! posted:

Have you tried microwaving some wet food for him? It makes it smell even worse than normal, which is apparently AWESOME to cats.

After we figured out the throat thing with Ozma, the only food she would tolerate at first was chicken or turkey babyfood. If it gets bad enough, you might try a jar of that?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'd suggest getting two cats - that way they'll keep each other occupied and won't be as loud or destructive.

As for allergies, your mileage may vary, but I too am allergic to cats. My first three weeks with Ozma were by far the worst. After about two weeks, I had a bad reaction that swelled my eyes totally shut. I decided to push through it with my good friend benadryl and loratadine.

After that, it got better. I'm not allergic to her at all. I can even rub my face in her belly. Granted I keep her brushed, have a good air purifier, and also vacuum.

When we got Pizza Brother, my allergies flared up again, but not nearly as bad. Again, drugs, air filter, and time later, and I only get a bad reaction when he licks my face. I've always been more allergic to boy cats than girls though.

I hope everything goes well for you, but seriously, do be serious about disciplining yourself - it's not a cat's job to make sure you get back on your feet.

edit: if two cats are not an option, maybe ask the shelter about a cat who is not suited to living with other cats?

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 6, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

kaworu posted:

Now, if you came in here saying you wanted to get a kitten, I'd certainly suggest getting two for the reasons Huntersoninski gave. But I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to want to get one cat, and I don't believe you should feel *any* pressure to adopt more pets than your comfortable getting.

Well I did advise discussing it with the shelter. Some cats just really need to be only cats, but being older isnt' the same as being antisocial. Cats are more social than I think is generally thought. If 2 isn't an option, like I said in my first post, he/she should make sure to get a cat that does not do well with others, rather than taking a cat that might be lonely without another cat in the house.

edit: i mean hell, my sister has yet to adopt a cat younger than 3 and she's always gone in twos, and they've always been great. But one cat was thrust on her by crazy circumstances, and he'd definitely work just fine as an only cat. You just gotta find out what you can before you adopt.

edit: again, I meant no pressure, but it's no myth that cats in general-but-not-always appreciate having company.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 6, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

badgercopter posted:

I'm fine with feeding him tuna instead of regular cat food, it's pretty cheap, but will he be getting proper nutrition from it?

No, and too much human-grade tuna can actually be a health detriment.

http://www.petmeds.org/petmeds-spotlight/is-tuna-bad-for-cats/#.UOk0mqxN-_w

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I've figured out why Pizza drinks so drat much. Idiot stuffs his fat kitten face with more food than his tiny baby mouth can handle so if he lifts his head, he spits kibbles everywhere, including his water bowl.

He then completely drains his water attempting to bob for kibble. He won't eat wet food, but soggy kibble! A DELICACY WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN PISS LITTER.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Last night Pete knocked over a huge wooden mirror and I was terrified he'd crushed himself so I woke up my SO in the other room by screaming "PIZZA!" at like 3am.

He got away tho, no worse for wear, and the mirror didn't even break, it just knocked the water bottle out of my steamer.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Would there be any negative effects from me feeding my cat one or two tablespoons of meat baby food every day? She has to take lysine powder and it won't stick to her dry food (which she prefers - she rarely eats wet food and when she does she just licks up the sauce and leaves the meat) but she will lap up baby food. If I just give her a little every day to get the lysine down, will that have any long term negative effects? It won't be her meal, just to get the meds down.

edit: i mean she licks it off of wet food, but that's an expensive waste. Baby food has jars with lids you can seal and save.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

four lean hounds posted:

As far as I know you must make certain that the baby food doesn't have garlic or onion in it since that is toxic to cats.

And you can totally store wet cat food! I found cans like these at a local pet store, and they are usually available in different sizes depending on what size cans of cat food you buy. You could also just scoop it all into a container with a lid when you open the can, and store it that way. According to Blue Buffalo's website, canned cat food can keep for 3 days in a fridge.

Thanks! Yeah I just get the "chicken in gravy" or whatever. And I'd do the cat food storage but again, she licks the gravy and leaves the meat. With the baby food it's kind of all liquid so it's not wasted.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Is he unlocking the lock on the knob? Could you stretch something like a balloon over the knob and prevent that?

KKKlean Energy posted:

If we were to adopt another cat to keep him company, it would have to be another FIV cat. But does anyone have any advice for keeping a solitary cat entertained when everyone is out?

Not necessarily. There is an FIV vaccine. My sister has 4 vaccinated cats to accommodate her 1 FIV+ cat (yeah I know). Maybe talk to you vet about what strain of FIV the kitty has and how much a vaccine would cost. If it's reasonable, it'll free up a lot more choices in second cats (making a better match more possible).

Without a second cat, my kitty loves her ball track. Some of them come pretty cheap too. A cat tree with some dangly/springy toys may be a good investment too, if you can afford one.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Does it open in or out? Most open in, but if yours happens to open out, put a door stopper on the outside of the door when you leave.

Barring that, I'm sticking to "put something over the lock". Balloon obviously won't work, but maybe duct tape a little tupperware container over the lock so he can't hit it, or instead of duct tape get some sticky velcro patches or something? Something with room under it so the lock can turn, but that will make a little force field bubble against kitty attack.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Steven.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Pete got a clean bill of health on Tuesday, so we re-introduced him to Ozma that night. As with the first day, there was much hissing and rough-housing and puffing up and chasing, which mellowed out into casual hanging out.

Today they are best friends. They play, chase, and groom each other, and this morning after breakfast they fell asleep hugging each other. Today was a great day for my home.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
With grownup cats it can take time. My sister's 8-year-old grump is only just now after 2 years allowing other cats to share seat with him. If they're not injuring each other, I'd say just give them further time. Could you maybe buy a baby gate to separate the rooms while still giving them a chance to see/sniff each other? That trick didn't work for me because Pizza's an rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a poo poo, but I've had friends for whom a babygate worked well, since neither adult cat really wanted to go onto the other side with the other cat there.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
He might also have picked up herpes from another cat? In which case getting some lysine powder and mixing it into his food might help (can't hurt either way, says my vet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
She'll adapt. Pizza loves sleeping in my arms/at my shoulder. When I first brought Ozma back into the room, he slept on the floor. Then he slept on the far edge of the bed. Then he'd only sleep curled up with her (so very :3: tho). Now he's back to purring and cuddling by my face again. She can't fight her cozy nature forever, she'll come back around.