Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
This vet is thread worthy, that is batshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BanjoFish posted:

I've never adopted an adult cat before, so I don't really know how bonding works
Every ragdoll I've come across has been a 1 person kind of cat and pretty slow to bond. But very loyal once bonded YMMV
It is a stunning cat.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HondaCivet posted:

I have a question on claw trimming. As I said, I have two 4-month old kittens. Should I be getting them into the habit of getting their claws trimmed now or should I let them have their little death daggers? I am afraid that if I trim their claws, they will learn to play with each other harder than they should.

Unless you are going to stop grooming them there shouldn't be ant difference. Plus you are getting them used to it. I would start doing it as often as is needed.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Oh man oh man! If things work out, we'll be heading to the shelter tonight to pick out a kitty! The local shelters are so oversaturated, I'm happy to give a pet a good home.

A few last-minute questions - my boyfriend and I both work. While we are gone during the day, where should we keep the kitten? Should we allow him/her to wander freely, or confine them to the bathroom or something? My only worry with this is that the litterbox won't be living in the bathroom but in a closet, so it might be confusing to start it out in the bathroom and then move it. As for cords - our house is bunny-proofed, but cats are climbers so there's no guarantee he won't get into things. I've got some bitter apple spray I plan on spraying on cords, so it should be ok to let him wander?

the only thing I've had to worry about is house plants and cups with drinks in them, other than that you should be fine of course your mileage may vary. (and obviously things like tacks and small bits of string) I would try to go ahead and have the house like it will be normally for them. when you bring them home let them out of the carrier in the room their litterbox is set up in (IMO) The closer the cat is to a year the less of a pain in the rear end it will be.
Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I went from 0 cats to two and it was fine. When I went to the rescue I had my mind open, if I found a bonded pair that I liked that was cool but if I found a cat that was surrendered because it couldn't get along with other animals that would have been fine by me also.
If you think you might want to get another kitty later to entertain a single cat it is more difficult to introduce them, also it might keep cats that can only be adopted as a set from getting a home.
A lot of peoples response to any kitty question is "You need another cat!" that is not always the case imho, but it does make wearing the kitty out a hell of a lot easier and keeps them company while you are at work.
If you are worried about the work involved there really isn't any, if you are doing the right things (cat proofing, scooping,vet visits)for 1 cat you will find it doesn't take any extra effort to do it for 2 (that get along)

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

d8 posted:

Splitting ethical/moral hairs here maybe, but the cats you don't adopt from the city shelter might be euthed. The cats you don't adopt from the no-kill shelter won't be.

OTOH if no one adopts from the no kill there are no spots for new cats and those go to the pound and get killed.

Pounds and no kills are different in different areas, my local no kill keeps great notes on the cats personalities and work very hard to match an owner with the right animal. There are probably city shelters who do the same.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does it bother the female? If it doesn't I would just let him be and see if it grows out of it, it can be a comfort thing, a few cats will do it forever. (this is my opinion of course)

Congrats on the new bundles of fur!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I fostered an adult cat who never buried. He just didn't. I just scooped a ton more. I don't know how to keep your guy from walking in it though :(

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

I've been going to a local independant pet store for cat stuff because they're closeby and prices are pretty good. However I noticed that they had kittens for sale (only $199 spayed/neutered and vaccinated!) and when I asked where they got them from, the guy there said "breeders from around the province including one of our ex-employees". I wasn't aware that there are people who specialize in breeding domestic shorthairs so am I right in assuming they're selling kittens from BYBs and I should never go there again?

Personally I would never shop there again.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kerfuffle posted:

The only downside I could notice was that they would slip up a little more on hardwood floors if they were going too fast.

That is an upside :)

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mange catches like crazy and you can get it also. Make sure you are not swapping it between every one!

Do you have a flea/tick preventative like frontline or something already for your kitten? I can send you a few if you can't get it there, I have some left, I tried to PM you but you don't have it :(

found this info:
While the Notoedres mite can be killed with many of the same products used to treat dogs with scabies, most of them are NOT safe to use in a cat. Cats are much more sensitive to some of the insecticides that are safe to use in the dog. The current recommended treatment for cats is to clip all long hair and then bathe the cat with a gentle cleansing shampoo. After the shampoo, a 2 to 3% lime sulfur dip (Lymdip) is applied to the entire surface of the cat. Some cats may require a sedative to be properly bathed and treated. This is repeated every seven days until the condition resolves and may require 6 to 8 weeks of treatment.

Some veterinarians have successfully used an amitraz dip to cure this disease, but this is an off-label use of this product and may make some cats sick. Recently, ivermectin has also been used successfully, much as it has been for sarcoptic mange in dogs. Ivermectin is not approved for use in cats, but under close veterinary care, it may provide a viable form of treatment. If there are multiple cats in the household it is often recommended that all cats in the household be treated because they may be harboring the mites.

Unlike allergies, the intense scratching caused by Notoedres responds poorly to steroid

It came from here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2236+2239&aid=737

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 23, 2009

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Desperado Bones posted:

Thanks!

Yeah, I don't have front line.
(I'm planning in getting a platinum account, but right now I've been having some money issues.) I don't know, if you want my email, let me know.

on it's way :)

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 24, 2009

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
does any one know where that "Ride the pony" youtube link is? It was the best example of stimulating a kitten to poo.
I think it might have been in this thread, but I don't have archives
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3109529&userid=48047
or maybe this one
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=344851536

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CagedLiberty posted:

After wanting a cat my entire life, my fiance and I have reserved two jet-black kittens (sisters) at a local shelter. The litter of six and their mum were all rescued together from a house that was overcrowded with cats, but they're healthy and happy thankfully. We should get them within the next ten days hopefully because we're just waiting for someone to come out and do a home check on us. Very excited, and have read this whole thread so far as a start.

Can anyone recommend, or post some info, on what to do the very first day a new kitten comes home? I want to know if I can give them the run of the house (it's only a one bedroom) or if that would overwhelm them, and if I should leave them alone for a few hours or try to pet them, and so on.

In my opinion it depends so much on the cat. With insecure or semi ferals I always start them off in a small spot, pick the spot carefully because often that becomes "their spot" to hang out forever when they want to chil. The shelter sounds good, so they might be able to give you some insight on the kittens personality. My Ghost had been fostered (in 2 homes at least) before I got her and she was eager to explore everything and with her personality her spot is just where ever I am.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
IIRC kittens lose their baby teeth between 3-6 months, It's perfectly OK!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If your cat isn't fat don't worry about cutting down his amount of meals. My cats are around 3 and I free feed because they don't have a problem with over eating, they know they are always going to have food and can have 20 tiny meals a day.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I actually just chucked my swivel sweeper in the trash, it was useless for me. I never tried it as a dedicated litter picker upper though.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I still free feed and my cats are over 3, because they don't over eat.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's a mix of them throwing a lot of heat and you looking at them. Mostly you looking at them.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
MY cat hasn't shut up for the last three years, Yours might not either :)

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HondaCivet posted:

I guess it is . . . Do cats usually not respond to that sort of thing? I thought I'd give it a try at least.

It's worked for a few PI'ers. One gal had to put the cats in another room before she could put the food down though because she could never get them to actually be quiet for 5 minutes before feeding, but it eventually worked. (I don't recall which poster that was)

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It's November, so I'm pleading for advice on one thing here: how the hell do you keep two very curious/psychotic kittens from attacking a christmas tree?

I only decorate the top half, it looks stupid, but it keeps them from stealing the balls off the bottom.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are you giving her the same type of food she had before? Sometimes they want the same thing, to switch types you have to mix the new food in. It's not odd for them to eat very little in a new environment.
My cat meows most when she is bored, I can normally distract her with jingle balls and wand toys. Your new addition may just be a little disoriented though and I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Check for clean water, food , clean litter, then offer some distractions.
Congrats! 1 year is around when I got my angels, it's the perfect age in my opinion. They are old enough to not be a pain in the rear end but they really are just starting life. And yes I think she is just settling in.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fire In The Disco posted:

What is the food? If it's a crappy one (or if you don't know), I'd suggest going over to the Pet Nutrition Megathread and learning about good foods, so you can switch her over.

But in the meantime, yeah, it will most likely take her a few days to adjust to the new house. If she starts to exhibit warning signs, like not eating at all, you'll want to take her into the vet. In fact, it may not be a bad idea to take her in soon anyway. Not to say your girlfriend's sister neglected her or anything, but it's not a bad idea whenever you bring a pet into the house to have them checked out by a vet.
Indeed, plus then you can have a good relationship with a vet so you don't have to meet them for the first time under a stressful situation.
Did they ever sleep under the blankets with the old owners? My cat scratches at the blanket when she wants me to lift the corner so she can get under with me for bed tie, it took me like 6 months to figure it out. It's a random thing so she might just want a scratcher.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fire In The Disco posted:

I guess the reason I'm skeptical is because I've never in my life had a problem with overweight cats, and I've had anywhere from 3-10 cats at a time throughout my life, which is a total of somewhere around 30 cats. I'd think that with that many cats, we'd have had at least one tubby cat, but we never did. So I'm curious to hear how common cats without the "off" switch are.

Mine are fine, the vet says they are Ok with their weight and I have always free fed my cats.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When I looked at the kittens it didn't say who the parents were. I couldn't find anything that said how often the moms had kittens, much less who they were. They seem willing to sell any one a cat with no checks what so ever. The sight may have had this info and I just couldn't navigate it though.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

demozthenes posted:

This Russian Blue breeder is local to me, but is no longer breeding kittens - I fired off an email to ask about breeder referrals, breed rescues, general info. Do they look like a reputable source to you? (Almost all of my experience is with dogs; I can track down awesome dog breeders and rescues, but am kinda clueless about cats, short of health guarantees, FIV/FELV testing, and CFA registration.)

Here's another breeder - there's very little info on the site, so I fired off an email. I'm not holding my breath for them, simply because of the lackluster buyer's contract. It looks like they also breed French Bulldogs or bull terriers.

Finally, I've put the word out among my shelter contacts that I'm looking for a Russian Blue or mix thereof, or really any adult cat that will jive with my allergies, and plan on visiting two cats if they're still available after the holidays.

Advice? Comments? Much appreciated in advance. :3:
I would stay away from any breeder that bred a lot of types of cats much less dogs as well. (YMMV) CZARINA actually looks really nice. The problem is they tend to *really hate* change and adopting an adult may be more difficult with this breed. It can be done with success it is just going to take patience. Have you considered a Siberian? This is an awesome cat for people with allergies.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

monsterbunny posted:

Both girls are yet unnamed, so suggestions are welcome. What I want to know is whether it's possible to try and teach them how to clean their own eye-cheese and boogers. You can see it in the last photo especially, both of them have yet to truly do it on their own and without human assistance it builds up into gunk. They're also caught up with all of their immunizations/shots and have a clean bill of health otherwise.

They are sooooo cute! congrats! My cat is really prone to boogers, and I pick them. Yes I pick my cats boogers. If she gets like some gunk in her eye or a black booger I just do a quick face swipe, she gives me a look and that's that.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mine stuff them under the area rugs. But a large amount of them go missing forever. I go through about 6 of the tiny cloth mice a month. when I move they will find hundreds of them.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would be tempted to see if you couldn't borrow a mess of traps from the spca and start trapping the strays and taking them in. They might make coming home tough for your kitty if they are tough toms :( If you have a trap spay neuter and release program or a no kill that has room you could be helping every one out.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm so glad your cat is home Gilf Hunter.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe he stepped in water then on ice also? he was outside for awhile. i don't know what it's like where you are but it's been pretty lovely here.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My concern about the cattery would be that they seem willing to sell any one a cat even offering special deals. All you seem to need is a $200 deposit.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

plateau need ROIDS! posted:

I've got a question.

My family recently adopted a 5 month old female white medium hair kitten (she looks like an Angora--maybe?). We have at home a 6 month old male neutered tabby whom we've had since he was 8 weeks old. The female kitty is too young/little for a spay and we are taking her back to the shelter in a month for the procedure.

The male is a feisty fellow--always plays rough with us, and bites our hands and feet. We've always had trouble getting him to stop. We figured another cat would calm him down and teach him some kitty social skills.

We kept the kitties separated for 24 hours and tried a meeting--he hissed at her (first time we've ever heard him hiss) and tried to swat her. We kept them separate again. She on the other hand seemed to have no interest. Second meeting, he shows no aggression only playfulness. He approaches her with tail wagging ready to play--she won't have it though. He then pounces on her, holds her down and bites. It hasn't been too long (only 3 days) so we plan on keeping them separate longer.

My question is: if the male kitty is not exhibiting signs of aggression and only wants to play, how do we get him to stop playing rough with her? The new female is somewhat passive and only runs from him. If he catches her, she yowls real bad and squirms away. Is this natural? Can we trust that the male kittyn will be liyeventually learn to go easy on her? Should we keep them separate longer? Any advice would be welcome.
Wagging his tale in a cat is normally a sign of an impending attack. If they are playful or curious they will hold it straight up, but back and forth is nervous or aggressive. Not to say attacking can't be play.
When he bites you try making a high pitched yelp like he hurt you and move completely away from him. That's a way to socialize him that that biting isn't appropriate play. Getting him a playmate was a good idea and it will help, it's just going to take time and she won't be little forever.
For now you can try getting some feliway, it works on many cats and they carry it on ebay and most pet stores, it often helps with introductions. Keep the cats in separate rooms and then swap bedding and towels so they can get each others scent. When you do introduce them keep them focused more on playing side by side and treats so they don't go after each other. It's tough but it will be worth it.
She will eventually set her boundaries with him as she grows. Cats are normally pretty good at sorting these things out.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chin Strap posted:

My cat is 4 years old, and I've had her for about two weeks now. One thing she loves to do is get on my lap, and start kneading like crazy and nuzzling me. Is this some sort of nursing reflex? Is it an affection thing or should I worry about it?

It means she loves you and trusts you and you should pet her. Congrats, she sounds awesome.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

/\/\/\

Thanks guys! Yeah, I think I'm gonna force him. He's not gonna be happy, and I have to do this every day for ten days! Kitty is gonna hate me by the end of this. Oh well. Get better, kitty!

He'll come around. I know how hard it is. My cat gets so far into the back corner of the bed and can't comprehend why I'm holding her eyes open when they already hurt. It really is the worst. The trick is to get through it as fast and mechanical as possible. When I got my cats from the rescue they both had eye infections. It was not how I imagined our first weeks together but the pay off has been worth it. cats can be amazingly forgiving and he will be more apt to bond when he doesn't feel sick any more.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If he has a head cold it probably just doesn't smell good to him. try stinkier food or even warming it up a little. Do you know what he ate at the shelter? Sometimes they really prefer crap and you have to transition the food a bit at a time.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fromage D Enfer posted:

Last night my cat broke out (literally, she broke through the mesh on the window screen) of my apartment to pursue a neighborhood cat that was mocking her from the parking lot. After several frantic hours, she returned home, seemingly unscathed. However, she is an indoor only cat and I do not know what she could have been exposed to while she was lost outside. I was wondering if there is anything I should do; she is up to date on all her vaccines (updated 7/09) and doesn't appear to have any visible scratches and she is behaving normally. Should I take her to the vet for a check-up or give her a preventative flea/ worm treatment? Should I even be worried about this? She was only gone for about ~8 hours. For reference, we are located in southern Arizona. The cat is ~2 years and has no medical issues and is spayed.

I wouldn't worry. Go over her with a flea comb and feel for ticks. Do it for the next 3 days. If you see any fleas or flea dirt put her on some flea meds. If she has no broken skin she should be OK. (I'm not a vet)
I'm glad she's home OK!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really hope your kitty feels better soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Panthrax posted:

I'm getting my first cats by myself, and was young enough to not pay any attention when my parents got their other cats to know how to handle getting them to find the litter. Do I just bring them in from the shelter, and let them wander around, and eventually they find the litter box and food? Or should I bring them over, sit them in it, and that's it? I have no idea how to acclimate a couple cats to a new, larger-than-a-shelter-cage place. I expect them to be older, 1-3 years old, so no potty training required.

With my healthy adult shelter cat I just sat her in the litter so she could see where it was and that was that.