Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

My cat licks people all the time and they generally find it endearing.

My cat licks everything that smells like human. She particularly loves our legs right after my boyfriend or I get out of the shower. She's a weirdo. She also is polydactyl.

And a question, because I feel that my cat is bored during the day (I was in college and could give her a lot more attention, but now I'm working full-time and I feel like she's really, really lonely). We're moving into a bigger place in September and I am trying to convince the boyfriend to get another cat.

- Age: Not sure, we found her in the street. Probably around 3 or 4.
- Sex: F
- How long have you had your cat? Almost a year
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Of course
- What food do you use? Wellness Salmon
- When was your last vet visit? Almost a year ago, time for a checkup once we move.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors.
- How many pets in your household? Just her.
- How many litter boxes do you have? One.

The only caveat is that any new cat would have to be a tortie, since my boyfriend is allergic to normal cats but has no issues with torties. So:

1. Is it a good idea to get a companion? (Petfinder seems to have plenty torties around, since it's kitten season.)
2. How old / what gender? I'm not TOTALLY against dealing with a kitten, but if they're agreeable enough I'd want an older cat.
3. How should I introduce them? (As much as I would like to bring her in and have her meet any new cat in the shelter, I feel like she would be way too freaked out about being in a carrier to actually like anyone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
It's the holidays, and I'm about to fly back home after visiting my folks and my cat I grew up with. She is VERY old, going to be 19 in February. She is overall in surprisingly good health, if a bit scruffy and way too skinny. Her teeth are good and she munches on the dry food that my mom feeds the other cats, though she prefers the wet. (Her favorite is to lick all the gravy off a gravy type, which is why we have to give her the pâté.) I'd really like to get some weight on her, though, and I'm going to send a case or two of wet food my mom's way to that end. I know cat Ensure is a thing on amazon, and I know about kitten milk--are either of these options, or will she just drink them to the exclusion of other food? Is there a wet food meant for senior cats where the goal is to put weight on, not keep it off?

Also, I'm afraid her vision is going--her pupils are really big all the time. She follows faces and light just fine, but in case that matters, her pupils are always wide open. There probably isn't anything for it but if there is I'd love to know. I love my girl and I just want to make the last years of her life long, good ones.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Is there any goon-approved stinky food to attract a cat with a low appetite?

Content: our cat has lost a bit of weight recently, like over the space of a few months. It's not that she's not eating at all, she is (we checked by weighing her food bowl), but she's clearly not eating enough. She's always been a bit of a picky eater, she likes fresh bags of kibble, she prefers some brands and flavors over others but gets bored with flavors, and when you mix them in her bowl she'll delicately pick out the kibble she likes better. We've tried every food she's liked in the past to help halt this weight loss and all of them are met with a lukewarm response. She also doesn't generally understand wet food is food, though I'm willing to give that another go if there's a type that might get her to eat. She's not scary-skinny or anything like that, but I wouldn't want her to lose any more weight. We have a vet visit for Saturday (she needs a rabies booster anyway) but I'd love to know if there's a type of food I can get that will make her psyched to eat again.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Right, the vet visit is mostly to talk about her weight / appetite. She generally is confused / uninterested in wet food, but we've only tried it a handful of times, so I'm kinda looking for a brand / flavor / type recommendation that has worked to get other cats with appetite issues to chow down. I'd take her licking all the gravy off chunks at this point.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I need a reality check. The cat I grew up with is now 19 or 20 years old. She's still fairly healthy, underweight, but I got her pet ensure and she takes wet food and a little bit of dry kibble like a champ. She's never been a big cat but she is kind of skinny. Thing is, she lives with my mom and stepdad, and I don't think she gets the love or the attention that she needs. She doesn't get along terribly well with the other 3 cats in the house either. She grew up with one of them, but the other two are new and younger and too energetic to be good company. I also know that my folks can't really afford to take her to the vet. I told them I would pay for any vet visits, but they are stubborn and proud.

Compounding this is the fact that my partner and I own a wonderful friendly snuggle bug tortoiseshell cat who is about 8. She's never been alone in the house all day until these past few months, because my partner used to work from home and then I freelanced for a while after we moved across the country for his new job, but now we're both out at offices. I can't help but wonder, now that we are both working out of the house during the day, if she would benefit from company. She isn't misbehaving, but she is very needy. Is it a hugely terrible idea to take my ancient cat across the country and let her live out the rest of her life with my other cat, who has too much love to give to us humans?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

If her living with you would result in reliable access to a vet then it is probably a good idea to take her.

My old rear end cats are doing much better now that they have reliable vet access and medicine.

But won't a drive + 3 hour flight + drive + new house and new cat be crazy stressful? I'm confident (perhaps foolishly) that she will get along with my other cat, but I worry about over exciting her or stressing her out in a way that affects her health and leads to her death. Ideally I would like her to live out her remaining days in the lap of luxury feeling loved but I don't know how best to accomplish that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Had to put down my old lady today. She was 20 but creaking around and eating PetSure okay for the past few months. But according to my stepdad she started wobbling and falling over and not doing well the past few days, and it reached a point where she couldn't hop up and get to the sink where she liked to drink water from the tap or get up and down stairs, and she hasn't peed in a long time or eaten more than a few licks of PetSure. So we had to let her go, and I've been doing the covert desk cry all day while I arranged everything. We got her euthanized at home for her sake, and are getting her cremated for mine. I spent way too much on a nice wood box. I don't know. I'm having a lot of feelings and I feel like this thread understands all of them.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 20, 2015