Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Is there any sign that this cat has some Bengal in it? My roommate said one parent was a tabby and the other a Bengal. I don't know if I trust her but the markings look kind of Bengal-ish and it is VERY vocal, also it follows people around often.

Sorry for the lovely pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

DressCodeBlue posted:

He looks like a generic tabby to me? :confused:

(Generic brown tabbies are the best cats, to be fair.)

Yeah I don't know cat patterns and breeds too well, even though I've been around them all my life pretty much. Should I just let my roommate keep saying "That's the bengal in him!" every time he meows? Hahaha

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Thinking of getting a Bengal cat, does this CL post look legit or no, and what are some questions I should ask:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pet/4644941183.html

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
How do I take care of my cat's teeth

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So, my Cat started peeing on our leather couch instead of in her litterbox. Never happened before a couple of days ago... Not sure why, except for two things:

1) Maybe her litterbox needs a complete clean out instead of just a scoop/fresh layer

2) Switched her to a "wheat" based litter recently

I would say it is 1 because I've only done a "complete" cleanout 3 or 4 times over ~6 months, but its never happened before so I'm more inclined towards 2 (I'm going to do a complete cleanout anyway).
Also, I caught her nibbling a bit on the wheat-based stuff after I did a fresh change, so she might have some weird conception that it is food instead of a place to pee? But she hasn't pooped outside her box yet, so...

Anyone have any advice/similar experience to guide me?

Also, as a bonus question... I had heard good things about using the Litter Genie so when I got my cat, it was one of the first things I bought. I literally haven't touched it in months. I would rather just scoop directly into the trash and put it outside, than bother with the litter genie and the extra steps that it adds. Anyone feel differently?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Dalael posted:

I used to scoop straight into the trash or into a small bag. I was being extremely lazy about it and my cat started peeing places. I decided to buy one of those litter genie thing because I was gettign tired of running out of bag and/or throwing away the trash when the bag was not even half full.

In all honesty, that thing is marvelous. Now that its just sitting by the litter, I find myself cleaning it multiple times a day. Whenever I see something in the litter, I bend over, lift the lid, scoop and i'm done. The little extra step you are talking about only needs to be done once a week (depending on how many cats you have. I have 2) which beats the hell out of dragging the trash can to the litter box, and getting rid of the trash every day.

For the price I paid (30$ plus tax I think) it was one hell of an investment. I highly recommend it for the lazy people out there.

yeah, part of why I asked is because I think I should use it more. when I used clumpier stuff though, it would fill up pretty quickly and changing the bag seemed awkward. I'm gonna give it another shot I think.

by the way, what kind of litter do you use? I have roommates so i have to keep the litterbox in my room-- one of the reasons i switched to the wheat stuff is because i heard it doesn't track much. The baking soda based stuff was solid but it seemed to end up in my bed which is pretty loving gross.

edit: its worth noting that my cat peed on the couch today even though her litterbox was completely devoid of pee/poo. :/

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Anyone have recommendations for flea shampoo for cats? My roommates dog has them too so we have to hit them both at the same time. Fun.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Thinking of buying this for my cat to treat fleas:
http://www.amazon.com/Capstar-Dogs-Cats-2-25lbs-Treatment
Besides this and cleaning the house, what else should I do? regular baths or is there a flea-killing shampoo? I know folks said to go to the vet but I'm not sure I have the funds for that right now, then again I'm not really sure what to expect so if anyone can enlighten me on how the vet would help me get rid of fleas, please do.

Laughed pretty drat hard at my roommate who invested in an amber collar for his dog's fleas (as well as other treatments, but still). I'm guessing those are 100% bullshit?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Alrighty, I'll stop by a vet then -- are there any supplemental treatments besides Revolution + cleaning the house? Just wanna make sure.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Kerfuffle posted:

Here's the giant flea treatment doc, use advice accordingly to how bad your problem is.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8oE-QD2hnUZUHBqYlVBSWhUdE9oenBKR2h1VU41Zw/edit

Throw out the flea collars. not only are they 100% useless but they can also be dangerous to pets.

This is the best, thank you

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Has anyone here used Effipro on their cat for fleas?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm at a loss right now because I need a good litter for the box in my room, which means doesn't smell like death, can be used w/ cat attract additive and MOST IMPORTANTLY tracks as little as possible. An added bonus would be odor control but I will settle for the aforementioned characteristics. Does anyone know any magical litter that fits these requirements?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
At this point I may just switch to crystals because apparently it doesn't track and I'm getting litter in my bed. Has anyone tried crystal stuff? Is it awful?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
That really sucks, I'm sorry.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

blackflare posted:

That arm and hammer cat litter is no joke. I had friends over and they couldn't smell anything and I live in a small apartment. When I'm cleaning her box it smells like dryer sheets or something. Probably not gonna help with tracking though it seems like normal litter in that regard.

This is what I use now. Works pretty well. Unfortunately we have a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house with a very open living room connected to the kitchen so there's no where I can really put her litter box besides my room, because I feel like I'm intruding on my roommates space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
My cat makes a little pokemon noise when I come home from work.