Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Haven't used that one, but have used Swheat Scoop and Feline Pine for years. Scooping every day or two: no troubles. Scooping infrequently: extra time spent breaking up clumps and dealing with the overall volume, possible plunger adventures.

Not recommended if you have one of those rural septic tanks you have to have professionally emptied though, if that's what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

if you REALLY want to splurge, this guy makes really nice decorative fountains that are safe for cats (and don't have cords that dangle over the side like a lot of home made fountains).

I just got one of those. It's pretty nice, and reasonably quiet. Two of the little rubber feet came off on the first day though.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Came back to my folks, my cat ran as soon as I got out of the car. :( She's so far, tonight, refused to come in at all. At least it's warm.

This happened to me after being gone for a few months. Cat hid from me for a few days, got over it, resumed being best cat ever.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

In two different cases (one due to renal failure, one due to psychological issues), I've had some luck getting cats to eat wet food by just putting a bit of it on/in the mouth. Seems the taste reminds the cat that Food Is Good, and they take it from there.

I've been feeding mine canned Wellness, which Amazon wants $23 or so for a case of 12 ounce cans. It's relatively low-carb, and goes over well with the beasts.

Some cats like to be petted when they eat. Is Princess one of those?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Voice of experience: none of my cats ever used guitars as scratching posts. Amp grilles vary by cat. Carpeted amps and cabinets are favorite targets. Carpeted cabinets with metal grilles are problematic: claws get caught in the metal.

Also, this happens:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That looks like a high-quality cat, but it's hard to tell with just one picture. Wake her up and take more.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

tentawesome posted:

Is anyone else's cat a little magpie? Sigma likes to find things from around the house and then put them in a pile next to his food bowl. It used to be just pens and the clips for my barbell, but he has now graduated to... water bottle caps and can openers.

One of mine has taken to bringing little foam soccer balls up from downstairs and leaving them by the food dish. He also bats most of the catnip toys and sparkle balls down the same stairs and I find them all over the landing in the morning.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Fortis posted:

She gets 1/5th of a cup of Wellness Core in and 1/5th of a cup of mixed treats (Greenies and Temptations Naturals) in the morning, and another 1/5th cup of treats in the evenings because she's a grazer and usually has wellness left. Am I giving her too many treats?

If I read this correctly, 2/3 of her food consists of treats? Yes, that's too many treats.

Don't be afraid to leave the wet food out. I put it out for mine twice a day. It doesn't disappear right away, but it's always gone before the next feeding. If she'll tolerate it, put just a very little in her mouth, and she may change her mind.

quote:

- Tonight: Trashing the litter currently in the box and washing the litter box out with soap and warm water, then refilling it with 100% fresh litter. (edit: Which I should have done sooner, but we've been moving and there's just not enough time in the day sometimes)

Do this now. Also, the diffusers will probably help.

quote:

- Making it a point to play with Stella more and give her more attention overall (this is difficult because she gets fed up pretty quickly).

Try giving her attention for shorter periods of time more frequently, and try to stop before she gets fed up. She'll want to interact for longer periods of time once she gets used to this.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So my cat is an rear end in a top hat who eats things.

Why does my cat have pica? How can I make him stop eating like a goat?

I have a cat that does this. His thing is eating the fur off carpeted bass amps and speaker cabinets. He does not do this to proper cat furniture, but instead of being smart like this: he jumps up there and starts nibbling the material. Bitter apple doesn't seem to last. What has worked is just brandishing the bitter apple under his nose. He gets the idea. Also, I can usually distract him either with food or cat toys. It seems to mean he's hungry and/or bored.

The pictured cat likes to eat white iApple cords, but really only when he's hungry.

It sounds like yours does this when you are not looking, though, so it's not for attention? Do you free feed him?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Shnooks posted:

These cat toys by Yeowww! are amazing.

These are great. I've had to replace some because cats wore them out. Takes a while, but they are well-loved.

Squeeze them to mash up the dried catnip inside and the cats can smell it better.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

My main concern is that the adult cat, who we adopted from a local animal shelter, was de-clawed by the previous owner. We are not planning to de-claw the kitten, so eventually when their sizes even out the adult cat will be at a disadvantage when it comes to defending himself. Is this something that I should try to intervene with now, or should I let them try to work it out themselves? We've literally only had the new kitten in our home for two weeks now, so I may be worrying over nothing.

You can help by getting a trimmer (human nail clippers suck for this, get the kind where the claw goes through a little ring, makes it fast and easy and therefore uneventful) and keeping the kitten claws from being too sharp.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Wrap cat in blanket, put cat burrito in carrier.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

One of mine was really good at pretending to swallow pills, so I got a mortar and pestle and ground pills up, mixed the powder with watered down milk or watered down wet cat food. Then I could syringe it into his mouth and most of it got into the cat. Usually made up two or three days worth at a time, kept it in the fridge.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Giant lovable fluffballs who always want to be your friend.

I had a stray that looked exactly like a Norwegian forest cat. This description fits. Best cat ever, whether he was Maine coon, Norwegian forest, mutt or whatever. Basically, big fluffy friendly cats are necessary in life.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Cat furniture right by the computer desk is a really good thing. It would be good to have another option near a window but a bit more distant, because cats are moody things and sometimes they want to be alone, or wherever the sun is. Options are good.

If you can, see what kinds of toys your cat likes when you are at the shelter getting to know him or her. It seems to vary. I've had pretty good luck with fabric-rope-onna-stick and Yeeow! catnip toys. Of mine, one goes mad for bouncy foam balls to chase and bat, one likes little furry floofball things, and one prefers sparkle balls, but they all agree on chasing fabric rope and my catnip toys have some impressive teethmarks in them from all three. Buy lots of toys. Leave a cardboard box around if the cat likes that.

I don't really like big pet stores for food. So much of what they carry is crap, so I'd rather support an independent store that has a better variety of the better foods. I settled on getting a big bag of Taste of the Wild dry from a local shop, but getting cases of Wellness in 12 oz cans from Amazon because I haven't found a store that stocks the big cans. My last two cats lived to 17 and 19 years old or so on Iams dry and Friskies wet, neither of which are recommended, so don't feel like using up the food you have is going to murder your cat.

Also, cheers for adopting an adult.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

RedTonic posted:

x2 for is cat. Poyo releases these horrific brrrrrow?! brrrrrow?!!! noises sometimes when she's alone and is (apparently) uncertain where everyone else is.

Marshall will do this sometimes while pawing at the front door at the bottom of the stairs. It just means "pay attention to this", apparently. He'll also emit mrowrum if he's napping on the bed and I walk past, like suddenly he realizes I'm in the house and could be petting him, and he just now remembered this is a thing he likes.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Such a handsome cat! You should probably just play with him whenever he wants.

Is he hungry at that time? Two of mine are obnoxious, destructive little fucks when there's no food in the bowl.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

One of mine never miaowed until he got old and blind. If he got lost, or just wanted me to come pet him, he'd make noise. Now, two miaow for attention and one because he wants to play.

Might not hurt to just make sure he can see and hear. I didn't figure out mine was nearly blind for a while. House was small and he got around ok.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Does she leave bits of sponge all over, try to eat it, or otherwise make a mess? If not, why not give her one or two of her own, and then keep the one you're using in a caddy under the sink or just switch to something else?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

hooah posted:

On Thursday, we took our elderly cat to the vet. It has been about a year since he was pseudo-diagnosed with bowel cancer (test was too expensive, did the "try this and if it works this is probably what he has" method). The vet took him off metronidazole and doubled his prednisone/vitamin dosage, a side affect of which is supposed to be increased appetite. However, he's hardly eaten anything since Thursday (he's usually a light eater, but this is unusual). Our vet doesn't open again until Monday; is there anything we can try to whet his appetite before then?

If there's anything he likes that's not dry food, either syringe a bit into his mouth or just put it on your finger and gently poke it in (if he'll let you do that sort of thing). Not enough to choke on, just a little bit to remind him that food is tasty and good.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

I tried looking for information on how to do it once because my cat likes chasing down and picking up and carrying around toys, it just didn't occur to her to bring it back to me to throw again. I couldn't find anything at all though, it sounds like either a cat will decide to do it on their own or they won't. I'll be very interested if you work out a way to do it!

I probably blew it with mine. He likes to bat and chase foam balls, but he won't generally bring them back. But for a while he'd go fetch them out of the tub, maybe because I was supposed to throw it somewhere more fun? He does bring me one ball when I'm occupied and he's bored, as if to say "make the toy go?" Anyway, since he likes them, I bought lots, and I just keep throwing them for him.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dienes posted:

You don't exactly need a college degree to get cats to gently caress.

I learned something today.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Engineer Lenk posted:

For the cat pee issue, a potential management strategy until she gets spayed is to put a tarp over your bed when she has access to your room and lock her out when you can. The plastic shouldn't be as attractive a surface to pee on as absorbent bedding.

This works. Currently using a shower curtain. Took her a while to even want to be up there, and she doesn't pee on it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

How loud and scary is an rfid door? I have a tiny girl cat who needs to be able to get away from giant rambunctious boy cats, visiting dogs, cleaners, etc, but if it's loud at all it might terrify her.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Pick one or two of the endless source of free friendly strays that you and your cat get along with and give them a home.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I gave up on trying to keep cat grass alive and just buy it every week or two. Makes them happy.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

supermikhail posted:

my cat likes me to carry her around the house while she's on the seat

How did this practice start?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

If for whatever reason you really don't think you'd want multiples, see if you can get one the shelter says needs to be an only cat. A lot of people have to pass those up.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Zaftig posted:

Mine has been meowing especially loudly while I'm in the shower, so I like to open the shower door and look at her. She looks so shocked that I'm alive in there.

I had one of those. I used to meow back. He'd keep it up the whole time.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Aww. She looks so quiet and innocent when she's asleep.

I named my latest Bruce after the lead singer of Iron Maiden because when I first got him, he would not stop screeching.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Bruce the orange stripey cat is adamant that he gets a couple pieces of cheese popcorn whenever the bag is opened. It is Very Important that this happens. He also hangs out in the bathroom while I'm in there, but maybe because that was his room when he first moved in. He used to walk around the edge of the tub during baths, but that ended when he fell in and clawed about three feet of caulk off the wall trying to save himself.

He likes to be on the table during games. He watched a whole game of Star Wars Armada tonight from the far end of the table. Cat likes to be included.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Jackie sounds like a great cat. There's going to have to be a picture.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

kaworu posted:

This last little pic was too adorable for me not too include. I've just been sleeping in a sleeping bag on my futon lately since I moved into my new place, and I came home one evening to find Jackie situated in my sleeping bag *just* like this. Which was way too goddamn adorable. What was funny is that she was *exactly* in my spot and you can't see it but she's also right in front of the laptop, too.

That's a pretty KittyFace. I'm glad you were able to give her a more peaceful home.

I have a gentle easily frightened cat that hides when people are over, and used to be terrified of me. I adopted her along with her brother, who was very friendly at the shelter. He's not very nice to her: always wants to push her around when it's time for petting, often evicts her from her sleeping spot just to be a dick. She tries to be nice to her brother, washing his head when he comes by, but he's just a jerk. She's learned that I'll forcibly remove him if he tries to interfere with petting her, which she seems to appreciate. She's doing much better after a couple of years, blinks at me a lot instead of hiding (I barely even glimpsed her for the first month or so), has learned not to be in terror of my friends, and while she hardly ever will be on the bed when I'm in it, it's her petting area when I'm not, and she likes to sleep in my spot. Currently she's learning that it's ok to get picked up: she gets held for a moment, purrs, and set back down before she panics. Here she is being cute and bright-eyed and not fearful:

I tend to call all of mine "kitten face" as a generic term. None of them are kittens, of course.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

When I'm distracted by the computer, sometimes mine will bring me a foam ball for me to throw, but he doesn't fetch, he bats at and chases them, then waits for me to throw another. If I throw an easy one right to him, he'll catch it with his paws. Harder ones he'll bat away and chase down, especially if it goes down the stairs. When he's really into it, he'll jump for them. There are about a hundred of them scattered all over the house, which was my solution to him not fetching them.

I should probably get video of this, as it's pretty entertaining. Slowly the shy girl cat seems to be learning that paw-balls are fun and not a threat to her, so he's helping with the shy project kitty too.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Hello PI!

I was wondering if there was anyway to lower our vet bills or if pet insurance is actually worth it when a cat already has a pre-existing condition. We just had to pay about $6,000 we can't afford from an emergency vet stringing us along while I was away for my mothers funeral. Anyway Porch Kitty had a Perineal Uresthostomy and is already standing up and trying to fight our other cat. It was so nice to come back and have our kitty back.

I have a link to pictures and stuff (hope it works): http://imgur.com/a/jBZ11

I have to go see a psycholigist tomorrow, I'm going crazy with all of this.

Hey, it's Uptown Animal Hospital. I go there too. So far, I really like them.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Poor kitty!

I have these bass speaker cabinets that are carpeted on three sides (yay, sharpen claws on) with a metal grill on the front. My fearful little grey cat, who panics when cornered and was still pretty afraid of me, got her claw stuck in the grill and wouldn't let me help, because *terror*. I think she hosed up a claw getting away, but she seems ok now, and I've worked a lot on handling her since.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

i've had good luck with crushing up a pill in water and syringing it into the cats mouth that way, fucker swallows it then and doesn't even fight.

I found pills didn't mix with water that well, but they would with milk or a solution of very watered down wet cat food. I'd make a batch for three days at a time, refrigerate it, shake it up and syringe a third of it per day out of the container and into the cat's yap. A little gets lost in the process, stuck on the side of the container or in the syringe, but getting 90% into the cat each time beat getting none in at all if he spit it out when I wasn't looking, and there was way less argument.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Afgad posted:

Hello PI goons. So my fiancee pushed for us to get cats, and I like cats, so I let her take the lead. All our breed research and such said that we'd do well with ragdolls, especially because we have a very high-strung dog (toy poodle), and super chill cats would help her stay calm. So we took PI's recommendation and GOT TWO.

Although we're sharing responsibilities, I chose one cat to be "mine" and she chose one cat to be "hers."

This one is mine: Her name is Bast

This one is hers: Her name is Shae

These cats are sisters and litter-mates and get along very well. (Yes, they really are ragdolls even though they don't have blue eyes. They're certified by all the societies etc.) The meeting of my dog and Bast was actually amusing. The first time my dog saw Bast was when Bast escaped from her sanctuary room on their first day in our house. My dog ran at her full speed, but Bast just laid down and looked up at my dog like "Yeah ok? Dog I guess?" which, as expected, chilled my dog out. They're now pretty good friends (except for occasional fits of jealousy from the dog that I'm still working on.)

We later introduced the dog to Shae, but Shae would have none of it and quickly informed my dog she was not to get close with flurries of bats (no claws) and hissing. Dog now has a healthy respect for the 8 month old cat who is already bigger than she is.

So my question for PI is: Anyone here use a Furminator on ragdolls? Although the internet seems largely in favor of using it, the cattery we bought from is opposed. Because of that, for now we're using a normal brush, but I thought this advice a bit strange considering the large amount of positive youtube videos and ragdoll blogs that are in favor of the device. Experiences?

Those are gorgeous cats.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Afgad posted:

Also, thank you Gorgar. :) Can you believe they were especially low priced because nobody wanted them? The cattery couldn't sell them because of their color. This worked out well for us, as we didn't want little kittens anyway. So 8 month old cats were perfect.

No. I want to steal those cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Arriviste posted:

As she stuck her nose over the lighter, the guy engaged the flint and scorched her whiskers. He didn't do it on purpose, but she remembered that poo poo and when he came over to our next apartment a couple of years later to stay the night, she soaked his duffle bag and its contents. That's my girl!

Go, cat.

Dalael posted:

More than once he hit the cat for stuff that she had been allowed to up until we moved in with him.

She started peeing and pooing out of the box not long after. Always peeing on his pillow, always pooing on his stuff.

I love cats, but they can be rear end in a top hat.

The cat is not the rear end in a top hat here.

I'm dealing with a long-term situation with a cat that has an inclination to pee inappropriately. She came from a hoarding situation and was very fearful. As far as the vet and I can tell, she pees to mark territory when she feels threatened. She's had all the tests, been on Prozac and other drugs for a little while early on, but in the end cats are little creatures that can't hold a discussion. I don't see it as attempts to punish anyone so much as attempts to communicate. I've seen her do it early on when I had a houseguest that didn't like cats, real early on when she was coming to terms with living with a stranger (me), and lately it doesn't happen at all so long as I don't leave clothes on the floor or a comforter on the bed.

Point being: the vet is convinced it is not medical, and as I changed the situation to remove temptation, and worked with her to go from her hiding from everyone to wanting to be picked up every day, her behavior has changed. In any given case, seeing a vet first is a good idea, but not every inappropriate peeing issue is medical, and I suspect if it started after a visiting cat peed outside the box first, that there's a good chance it isn't in that case. When I had that problem with a different cat, I eventually got it somewhat under control by leaving a litter box with newspapers in it. Not fun to change or smell, but better than some of his other options.