Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I'll be acquiring my first-ever kitten in a few weeks, and I'm trying to figure out whether to get one or two. I've read up on the general pros and cons, but here are my personal ones:

PROS:
- My house is kind of large (a double-storey with only three people living here), so I'm worried it might get lonely.
- I currently go to university, and my other family members have school/work during the day, so another one of the loneliness.

CONS:
- I have two small dogs but they pretty much just live outside, meaning they can't exactly interact while nobody's home.
- Expenses.

Any opinions/advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Just stocking up on cat essentials before I get my kitty in a few weeks - advice on what grooming equipment I'll need for a short-haired cat? I read somewhere that I'll need a rubber brush, soft-bristle brush, and a fine-toothed brush, but that seems a bit excessive.

Also, what's the deal with tooth-brushing?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Ema Nymton posted:

My cat doesn't like the furminator at all. But I subject him to it anyway because it's the very best cat comb. However, trying to hold on to him and prevent him from wriggling away is pretty difficult so I only brush him every couple months. I know I'm being lazy and should do it more often.

You haven't tried rewarding him with treats if he sits and endures it?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
This Sunday will be the big day, and I'm now thinking of getting a young cat rather than a kitten. A lot of the cats' names at the shelter are putting me off, however, so I'll probably end up renaming it. So how old is too old to rename a cat?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

SynthOrange posted:

Cats dont care what you call them. :catstare:

Eh I've heard many things about cats and their names. Cos yeah, I've heard it's not so much that they know it's *their* name but moreso that they know they're being called or something when they hear it. But then again, my friend got a "thirdhand" cat whose name was changed by its second owner, and it doesn't recognise its name at all, despite being called that for years now.

I guess what I'm really asking is: how old should a cat be if I want it to be able to recognise its name/calling command? (Or can stuff like this just be clicker-trained?)

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
So I preemptively bought cat (1+ years) dry food rather than kitten food for my (slightly large for her age) six-month-old kitten. If I feed her three times a day, is it okay to give her the dry food at midday if I give her the wet food in the morning and at night? Will that be enough nutrient intake for her?

edit: My bad, she's almost 8 months old, not 6 like I said. Thank god, I was kinda freaking out possibly raising a monster kitty.

Adding another question - how many chicken necks can I give her at a time? A lot of googling has told me how often (generally 2-4 times a week) but never how many a time.

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 19, 2014

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I've had my eight-month-old cat for just over a week now, and I'm worried she isn't eating enough.

At the moment, I feed her an 85g packet of wet kitten food mixed with 1/3 cup of dry indoor cat food each day, and most days, she won't even finish that and leaves a third to a half of it. I also feed her 2 chicken necks every other day, and I train her with small chunks of tuna.

Factors that might affect her appetite (from what I can think of) are:
- excitement/stress of a new household
- strictly indoor cat
- very cold weather, as it's winter in Australia (?)

For the record, she'll usually eat if I put the bowl directly in front of her, so it isn't that she's refusing the food nor do I think it's a health/medical issue. I suppose she isn't a full-blown kitten, but I just assumed she'd be eating a lot more and by her own accord. Does this sound normal? Or should I just keep coaxing her to eat?

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 26, 2014

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Pixel's been with me for almost a month now so a vet check-up is fast becoming overdue.

I'm looking for a good-quality soft pet carrier with a few pockets (and other nifty features are a bonus, too). So far I've been looking at the Bergan carriers, both the Voyager and the regular Comfort Carrier. They seem pretty good, but since I only happened upon those, I thought there might be others I've overlooked. So any glowing recommendations?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Sorry about Max, Trebuchet King :( I'm sure he's led a good life with you.

ilysespieces posted:

I would appreciate this as well. I'm going shopping for a soft carrier tomorrow and right now I'm planning on picking up the Bergan but if I should look elsewhere, I'd like to hear about it.

As a mini-update, I ended up buying the Bergan Voyager. It just ticked a lot of boxes for me, and now I can't wait for Pixel to have to endure oh so many trips to the vet and beyond in it!

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Charles Martel posted:

TL;DR: How do I make our new kitten more comfortable and affectionate since I don't want to do the wrong things at the wrong time so she associates with either one of us negatively because I don't want her to hate us HELP :cry:

I concur with the others saying lots of love and physical contact, but I think it's also important to never react too badly to negative behaviour. It goes without saying that you should never physically (or even verbally, I suppose) abuse your cat, even when she's done something wrong, and I'm sure you know that already. It just makes you look like the bad guy in their eyes. Besides, cats don't respond to that anyway - just love and praise, the little smug fuckers :keke:

Maybe I just got lucky with my kitty Pixel, but I like to think these things combined contributed to her being so lovely and affectionate with me. In fact, she's curled up on my lap snoozing away right now.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Anyone know where I can get one of those play tent cube things for really cheap online? I just bought a small hamper that is similar to one of those, and Pixel is going apeshit for it. Ideally I'd let her play with that but it's crappy mesh, so it'd be in ribbons as soon as I leave her unattended with it.

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 1, 2014

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Dantu posted:

I got one at WalMart. It's called the Sleepy Corner and my
kitten goes nuts for it. He's helping me type this post, also. He's 10 weeks old but I think a bigger cat could fit in it with no problems.

Oh I should've been clearer: I'm in Australia, so I meant moreso online. But thanks for the feedback!

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Robo Kitty posted:

One of the nice things about adopting a teenage cat is that their personalities have already stabilized, so you have a better idea of the type of cat you're getting. The cute cuddly kitten may turn out to be a friendly lap cat, but it also might turn out to be aloof or shy or a major rear end in a top hat. Teenagers also still have a lot of kitten energy and playfulness but are less likely to be destructive/try to climb the curtains/require constant supervision etc. Plus they're at that ridiculous adorable gangly stage where they look like they're all limbs. :3:

Other pros include that they come pretty much 100% toilet-trained and they're young enough that you can still teach them stuff (e.g. to sit, where not to climb). Teenagers > kittens for sure.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Ciaphas posted:

Should I be too worried what sort of place I go to when I look for a cat to adopt? I was planning tomorrow to leave work a little early and go to the city animal control/shelter and look around.

(Knowing me, I'm awfully bloody likely to leave with a cat. I should probably just go to Petsmart and get some stuff first :v:)

So long as the place doesn't work with kitten farms or anything like that, any shelter that takes in homeless animals should be fine. Bonus points if they're a little known charity kind of place cos any support you can give the little guys is great.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Quick question: My kitty sleeps in my room with me overnight, and I've kept a litter box under my bed for her. It's beginning to get a little smelly now, and so I was wondering whether she could last the night without it - does anyone have any relevant experience with this? I'm cool with keeping the box in my room if need be; I just thought I'd ask.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Huntersoninski posted:

I know, that's what I thought. I'm hoping their bed is lofted or something because god drat.

Bubblelubble, do you shut the cat in your room? Is there a particular reason you do this? I leave my door ajar and my cats come and go at night as they please - it keeps me from dealing with their cries to be let in/out and it means I don't have to keep litter where I sleep. I'd work on, at the very least, slowly inching the box out from under your bed and if possible into another room over the course of a week or so (moving it suddenly might confuse her and have her resort to just making GBS threads on the floor under your bed - if she's as dumb as my cat w/r/t litterbox placement, anyway)

Yeah nah I scoop it out every night and change what little litter I put in weekly - she only uses it at night anyway cos she has another bigger one downstairs (this litter is her smaller upstairs box). And yes, I shut her in my room overnight because I have housemates who leave very early in the morning for work and school, and my cat's one to dash out the front door. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of going out in the dark, trying to find a black cat.

The smell isn't terrible or anything, and I can deal with it cos like I said she doesn't use that box as often as the other one anyway - I just wanted to know if I could go without it. Is there even a way of training her to hold it, or is it just a skill they either have or not?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
My cat finally did that "slow blink" thing that is apparently the cat-to-owner equivalent of "I love you" at me, but the romance of the moment was slightly ruined by the fact that I was in the middle of cleaning up my own nosebleed. Excellent.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Came back to my folks, my cat ran as soon as I got out of the car. :( She's so far, tonight, refused to come in at all. At least it's warm.

Aw no, that's horrible :( Hopefully she just needs a little time around you to recognise you again.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Angrymog posted:

Your feet smell. For some reason cats like smelly feet.

Cats like stinkiness in general. It is both endearing and gross.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Daily Forecast posted:

edit: Also, I volunteer at an animal shelter, where we feed the cats Royal Canin dry food because that's what we have donated, and we can't afford to feed the cats anything that isn't free because there's a lot of cats. That food is fuckin' awful, triggering all sorts of allergic reactions, making cats itch themselves bloody, and just generally shed everywhere. After seeing all of this I will never, ever feed my cats Royal Canin.

Whoaaa I was under the impression that Royal Canin was the good poo poo. After reading through this whole debate, it's tough not knowing which brands I should be feeding my kitty. I mean, all I know for sure is that Whiskas is like fast food for cats. But other than that, what the heck? I mean, if Royal Canin ended up being lovely, I don't know what to believe...

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Oooh just realised my Pixel hasn't farted on me in a while! I've probably just jinxed it but yay maybe she's over the farty kitten stage - it IS her first birthday in 3 weeks after all ^_^ Fingers crossed the stinky horror is over!

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
My cat just tried to groom me, and of course my long hair ended up getting tangled up on her tongue.

A new reason for me to get another cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
My cat hates being squirted with water, so though I know it'd be tough to have a spray bottle on you at all times, maybe you could try that? Just don't spray anywhere near her face/ears - that'd be bad news.