Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I have the opportunity to adopt a couple kittens. I've never owned cats before, so I'd like to run some numbers by you guys regarding monthly costs so I can properly budget for them.

$50/month for wet food.
$15/month for litter
$20/month for insurance
$2/month for water fountain filters.

That's $87/pet/month, before treats and toys (since those costs will depend on their personalities) and other fixed startup costs (Litterbox, dishes, etc). And also assuming that insurance will cover vet costs.

Do those numbers seem right?

As they transition to adult cats, I've been told that feeding them nothing but wet food is also bad for their teeth, so I need to toss some dry food their way. Any ideas how that might affect costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Gonna be a first-time cat owner in June. So nervous. :ohdear:

Someone requested pictures. Here they are!

And have some bonus videos:

Kitten lineup
Squeaky kittens in a kitten pile
Brother in law holding a kitten

My sister and her husband are adopting two, and I'm adopting one. The white ones are Mantou and Da Long Bao, and one of the grey ones is Taro.

I hope I can raise the kitten properly. I'm waiting until they're 12 weeks old before adopting them, but I've never had a cat before, and I keep reading about cats not being socialized properly or destroying furniture or failing to be litter trained or developing health problems or any number of other problem scenarios. :smith:

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Da Long Bao's eyes have opened!

Is there a such thing as corrective lenses for cats? :ohdear:

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Da Long Bao may be coming to her forever home soon, and I am super nervous. I've never owned a cat before.

I've thrown together a list of things to buy. Please let me know if there's more stuff I need to buy or if there's something that I shouldn't be buying, or if there's something I could be getting better or for a lower price. :ohdear:

I know she's going to be terrified at being separated from her family and thrust into a new and unfamiliar room. I just want to make sure I can provide for her when she feels comfortable enough to come out. She's only seven weeks old, so I hope the litterbox and food dish won't be too big for her.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Zaftig posted:

Heads up that that carrier kinda sucks. I bought that exact one and my cat ripped a hole in the seam on the first use by pushing her head against it to get out. She is 8 pounds. It lasted 20 minutes.

Wow. Thanks for the tip! Dumping that one and getting a hard carrier.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Are cats okay with collars and nametags? I wanted to get the kitten chipped, but I feel like an additional layer of security would be good.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Any advice for how large a room should be if introducing kittens to a home? I feel like a bathroom is too small, but it's either that or a bedroom. I'm thinking about going with the bedroom and just sleeping on a couch for a few days so I won't distress them. Any suggestions on keeping them away from under the bed?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I hadn't really considered myself as a source of comfort. I assumed they'd be terrified of me. I guess I'll see how they deal with me before evicting myself for their sake.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I was going to give a stuffed animal to my kitten when she arrives, but I realized the stuffed animal has plastic eyes. Am I right in guessing this means it isn't safe to give to her?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I made a video to try to to help some kittens near San Francisco find forever homes.

I can't tell if I'm dumb or clever.

demota fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 23, 2015

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Does anyone have experience with pet insurance? I'm picking up my new kitten in a couple weeks, and I'm wondering about what are good companies to go with (or if it's just a bad idea).

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I'm torn between Pet Plan and Healthy Paws. They both have a ton of advocates.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Kitten's coming in Saturday or Sunday. Any idea how to tell when a kitten is ready to leave a room and start exploring the house? I figured I'd just give her my room for a few days, but I'm not sure when it's okay to go "Yeah, you're free to check out the whole place."

demota
Aug 12, 2003

My new kitten came in, and she took a poop but didn't bury it. Should I be concerned?

Obligatory pic:

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Tamarillo posted:

Ah, I see you have a non-poop-covering-ragdoll too. My boy only sometimes covers his poops, and when he doesn't our other cat runs over with a look of horror and quickly covers it up.

Is that what she is? I'm new at this cat thing. I was mostly just thinking of her as a designer cat mix. Her mother is a Stray and her father is a Mystery.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Need some advice here. My new kitten, Da Long Bao, is home, but mom doesn't want the kitten to ever leave my room unless I'm home to supervise her. This is to make sure she doesn't scratch furniture. Kitten is 11 weeks old right now. She's never showed an inclination towards scratching wooden surfaces. She's scratched sisal poles, cloth (when attempting to climb it or if it's waving around), and human skin. Never scratched wood or walls. She has scratched her litter mat and some fluffy cloth bathroom mats.

I want to give her free reign around the house, but I don't want her to ever scratch our wood/leather furniture. Though she's never shown a desire to do that. I hate the idea of her being confined to a single room for 10-11 hours of the day when I'm not home.

Obligatory pic:

From left to right: Da Long Bao, Taro, and Mantou

demota
Aug 12, 2003

My kitten keeps ripping up paper. How do I get her to stop?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

What is this? I'm worried. :(

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Thanks. I'll try clipping her nails first!

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I took my kitten in for spaying and she had a reaction to the anesthetic. She never woke up. :(

I'm numb. They're refunding the spaying cost and covering the cost of cremation.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Thanks for the sympathies, everyone. I looked it up and this kind of reaction happens 0.24% of the time. Which is not the same as 0%.

I don't know how long it'll be before I pick up another cat or kitten. I'll definitely get her spayed, but it's going to be extremely hard to do that without feeling like something awful is going to happen.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. The next time I adopt a cat will probably be pre-spayed to save myself the trauma trigger.

Da Long Bao is being cremated, but the urn will need to be buried. I found out about something called an urn vault to protect her remains from being disturbed. Does anyone have any experience with these? I want to protect her and I want to make sure that if I have to move, I can take her with me. I don't know what materials to avoid or what are good materials or how to open it if necessary while still making sure water can't get in, it won't crack under temperatures, and gophers can't punch through.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

It's been a few months since my last kitten, Bao Bao (who inspired the "Poop on her poop to show her who's really the boss" quote) passed away from an allergic reaction to anesthetic during her spaying, and I decided I was ready to adopt another cat. My family fell in love with an eight week-old kitten. I felt a little guilty about picking him up since he was so young, but I gave in to social pressure.

He's sleepy here, but he's extremely playful and likes to bite at my hands. How do I get him to quit that? I know an older cat who likes to bite at hands when playing, and I don't want Boba Tea to grow up to be like him.

Second question:
He's super young. Like, 9 weeks old. Before adopting him, I was strongly leaning towards a three year old lady cat who had recently weaned a litter, who's been described as extremely affectionate and mellow. I think that Boba would be much happier and well-adjusted if he had another cat around to serve as a mother figure. Am I off here? I've done a lot of reading, but I'm not going to pretend any of that serves as a substitute for practical cat experience. I know I'm supposed to introduce them gradually through closed doors over a week or so, then give them daily supervised time together for another week, but I'm hoping that a kitten with no mom and a recent mom without her kittens will be able to bond smoothly.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Reik posted:

Seconding Iron Crowned, get him interactive toys like Da Bird or the Go Cat Cat Catcher and have him channel his play in to those. When he does bite your hand pretend like it hurts, pull it away and make a pathetic cat whimper sound. A second cat would be incredibly helpful with socialization. When it comes to the introduction I'd feel it out before going the standard two adult cat route, it's very possible she'll just go in to full mom mode and treat him like one of her own kittens with no introduction required.

Oh, that's a good idea. I picked up Da Bird for Bao Bao, but it's just kind of been sitting around since I figured it was too big for him. Considering how hyper he's being, maybe he's old enough to play with it.

Fun fact: He used to wake me up by using his tongue to sand off my eyelids, but he seems to have quit that.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

And one more for the road. He likes hunting, so I figured maybe he'd be into Bloodborne, but he doesn't really have the parry timing down yet.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Update on the two-cat situation.

The lady cat is acclimating to her new room, but she was definitely afraid for a while. The boy kitten managed to slip into the room and the lady cat hissed at him when he got close. This is on the first day. How screwed am I if this is their first impression? :(

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I adopted an older cat to serve as a mom for my kitten, except the older cat growls at the little one. I tried introducing them by scent through closed doors for like a week. She's okay through closed doors and even visual range, but my idiot of a kitten keeps trying to charge her to play, and she will have none of it. The growling discourages him for a while, but within a few minutes, he'll try to wrestle her and she smacks him and hisses. This never actually drives him away for more than a couple minutes. They just had an altercation where he jumped on her and they rolled around for a while before the kitten ditched.

I keep hearing about how growling and hissing and swatting is normal for cat introductions, but I'm afraid that the kitten might get hurt given the size difference

I have the option to return the older cat to the shelter, and if she's really going to be unhappy here, that might be the best option.

I tried to do site-swapping once, but the older cat just got scared and wouldn't leave a hiding space, so she wasn't going around the house and picking up the little one's scent. :sigh:

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Feliway's been running in that room for like, a week now. The diffuser, at least. Maybe I need the spray?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Thanks. Maybe things aren't as bad off as I thought. I'm not using any scented candles. I'm going to try for longer site-swapping today, then try to give them more introductions tonight.

In other news, my sister's kitten ate her hair lying around the house, then took a poop, but the hair didn't all come out with the poop, then the kitten ran around the entire house with a poop trailing behind her.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I use an Omega Paw roll-and-clean litterbox. I'm noticing that my cat will do her business, leave the litterbox, re-enter it halfway, then start pawing at the sand. She hasn't eliminated out of the litterbox, but I'm wondering if the litterbox might be too small to be comfortable for her.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Isnt that all cats? They cover up their business.

I thought they usually were able to do that without having to leave the litterbox.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I went to clean out the litterbox and found this disgusting turd.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Latte's been tearing apart the carpet at the doors and I'm very sad about this. I'm not sure what to do. I've got a scratcher right next to it, and that's shown signs of getting scratched. I'm ordering more sticky paws rolls, but they don't seem to be doing a great job of training her since I've already gone through a whole roll trying to train her.

I need to figure out how to repair the carpet too. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I think my next cat is going to be a jellicle. Does anyone know any reputable jellicle breeders in the Bay Area? Or have advice about taking care of them? I know jellicles are really only happy if you have at least two, and I'm going to want soundproofing.