Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
Thanks for this thread, it helped a lot getting me ready for my new kittens.

I brought two sisters home from the shelter last night, 2.5 months old. They immediately crawled up under my TV stand, next to my cable box and have been chilling there since. I'm fine with that, and not trying to force them out or anything, letting them get comfortable in their new home, but I'm a little concerned because the shelter gave me some antibiotics for a respiratory condition they have. It's a pink liquid and I'm supposed to give them 1.5ccs each, every 12 hours, via oral injection (squirt syringe).

I'm just worried that if I have to pull them out of their little spot every 12 hours to give them their medicine, they'll associate anytime I come to pick them up with having to take medicine. Should I wait until they start exploring on their own before I start giving them the medicine? I only gave them their first dose this morning, neither of them seemed to enjoy it very much :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

Eggplant Wizard posted:

No, keep giving them their antibiotics on schedule. They'll dislike it for a while, but they'll get over it in time. Also, try luring them out with play and treats when it's not medicine time, so they have some good associations as well.

Yeah, I've been petting them a bit while they're under there. They purr like crazy but still don't want to come out on their own accord yet. They don't seem too interested in toys yet, at least not the ones I have. I'll pick some different ones up at the store today. Thanks for the reply.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

I should note that they are fed in separate bowls in opposite sides of the house.

I feed mine at the same time, side by side. I let them eat what they want, leave it for 10-20 minutes after then put what's left of their food away. They'll occasionally try and eat food out of each others bowls, but once you get them on a feeding schedule instead of free feeding, they'll be too focused on eating what's in front of them to bother stealing their buddies food.

edit: I feed in the morning, when I get home from work, and at least once after that, maybe twice if they ask for it (nicely)

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

fine-tune posted:

I had a cat that would open her mouth wide and go "eeeee". That was the only sound she could make (even in her carrier), other than purring. One of my current cats is capable of meowing, but she only does it when she is insanely excited about something, like wet food. Otherwise, it's just these "mrr mrr mrr" noises. So, out of the 4 cats I've had/have, 2 don't/can't meow. I think it's cute :3:

It's super cute :3: My cat knows how but most of the time it's a squeeky little meow. I love it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8QabI003R8

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

Angela Manaconda posted:

Oh, yes! The vet was rather sure what Mo had was eye herpes, as well as an infection (hence the anti-biotic drops.) I have the lysine powder, and he's been on that a while -- I mix in an 1/8th of a teaspoon with his wet food, twice a day. I have to ask though, is there any where I can get that, other than the vet's?

I use this for mine: http://www.amazon.com/Vet-Solutions-Viralys-L-Lysine-Powder/dp/B0013LLHW0/ref=pd_sim_k_6

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

How do I know if I'm feeding my cats enough food? They seem to always be hungry. I've been keeping them on a fixed schedule for a good 1.5 months, feeding them at 8 AM and 8 PM. I keep hoping they'll learn the schedule, but every time I stand up and walk by their food dishes they get super excited and think it's time to eat, and one of them meows like she's about to die if she doesn't eat. They also started jumping up on the counter where I keep their bowls when it's not feeding time...I'm going to put them away in a cupboard so they can't do that.

I am feeding them a full 5.5oz can each of Nature's Variety Instinct (half in the morning, half at night). They are almost 6 months old and about 6 lbs each, so I don't think I should feed them too much more than I already am. The can recommends 1 can per day for every 6-8 lbs of body weight. They eat their food in about 3 minutes flat and lick the bowl clean. It's like they're determined to be fatasses!

weinus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 15, 2011

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

You can't just mix it in with some wet food? That's what I do when mine need a little lysine boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

Going to be moving from LA to Houston soon, and will need to bring my cats along with me in the car.

Is there any recommended way to do this aside from keeping them in carriers? Mostly concerned with how they'll go to the bathroom.

Can I bring a small box to fill with litter, like the lid of a paper carton, and let them out periodically to see if they need to relieve themselves?