Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Great job with the thread, just in time for my new kittens arriving monday! I'm thinking about getting one of the Armarkat trees, but I can't choose! Which do you all think would be best for two cats? I was looking at http://www.armarkat.com/classic-cat-tree/classic-cat-tree-a7802/prod_29.html but it may be overkill. :shobon:

Also, are the premium versions actually worth it? They claim better materials and sturdier trees.

edit: I also found armarkat cheaper at a few places such as allpetfurniture.com 149.99 for the one I linked vs. 169.99, any downside to buying from a third party?

JayJay fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

How weird, I totally forgot I was on the first page when this thread was originally posted, confused the hell out of me after I read the OP info and saw my post. drat, that was a long time ago. Unfortunately I had to find those kittens another home, but after 4 years (and getting my own apartment!) I am giving it another go! I have been volunteering at the SPCA in cats for about a month and a half now, and loving it. I was staying strong, until this little girl just won me over. Adopted her today and bringing her home tomorrow after the spay. She is 6 months old and about the most friendly, cuddly, chill as hell kitten i've ever worked with. Meet Nymeria! :swoon:

JayJay fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 1, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Christ, spaying is great, but it also sucks. My kitty is miserable with her e-collar on and walked around the house all night mewing and hitting into things. Finally at 2 am I had to lock her out of my room to get a few hours of sleep. Shes the most snuggly cat i've ever met, so her not being able to rub her head against things is driving her nuts. She keeps trying to lick herself, so I have to leave it on for at least a few days. Here's to lots of coffee!

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

1up posted:

Any tips and tricks for pilling a cat? Pill pockets worked for 2 wonderful, easy days and then Escobar bit into the actual pill, so he won't touch them anymore. Today was a fight to get him to take his meds and it's stressful for both of us.

Warning: I have no idea if this is the "best" way, but its the way I know from volunteering.

If you're solo, you can wrap them up tight in a towel. (Kitty-burrito) and put them between your knees tight, then you need to open their mouth, put the pill as far back in their throat and close their mouth quickly with both hands, they should swallow instinctively. If you have help, they can wrap them up and hold them tight while you do the same. It sucks, and you might get bit if you're not careful and quick about it. But that's how we do it at the SPCA. It's super stressful for the cats and you need to give them treats and praise them wonderfully after.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

NOT a twink posted:

My vet gave the same instructions as JayJay, and said if they don't swallow to gently move a finger over their throat to trigger the swallow. My kitties responded better when the pill was slightly wetted and coated in fish food flakes.

Last night was a success! The last kitten eventually walked into the trap and was reunited with his mommy. The little guy was out of his mind distressed until his mama coaxed him out of the trap. He was welcomed back with an adorable and thorough bath from his mama and sisters :3:. All the kitties are much more comfortable now, especially mama cat who is back to her very affectionate self. Wish I knew how to post pictures from my phone they are just so cute.

Ahh yea, forgot that step, the throat stroke after you close their mouth!

Also that is really :3:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Tamarillo posted:

followed by a pat and some cooing about how they are the best kitty while they give me a I-loving-hate-you glare for about 3 sec before forgetting.

This is the important part, so they don't kill you while you sleep. :allears:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

hhgtrillian posted:

I hope it works for you too! And I tried the Greenies fish and their chicken flavored pill pockets, and my cats didn't really like those at all. The duck ones held out longer as being liked and two of the three cats still like the duck when they didn't care for the chicken or fish version.

My cat goes crazy over these http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Star-Grain-Biscuits-Tempting/dp/B009GENVWU/

A little pricey though for cat treats, but grain free premium, etc etc.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

I hereby declare 4th of July, official black cats are awesome day. Commence!

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What should the spay incision site be looking like after 6 days? The vet said nothing about cleaning the wound and only gave us some pain medication saying use it "only if she looks in pain". He also said to bring her in if it looks swollen; it doesn't look bad but it doesn't look that good :( She doesn't seem to be in any pain at all though and is moving around like normal.

With a spay, the stitches are going to leave a little bump in the area that will remain for about a month after the spay. In the beginning, its going to look pretty nasty and scabby, with probably a red line where the incision was. The bump is really easy to confuse with swelling the first day or two. After about a week to 12 days it should just be a good size bump with an incision line. It can take longer to heal if they are older as well.

Does she have an e-collar on or has she been allowed to lick at it? If they lick at it, it can get infected or her rough tongue can pull out stitches. Can you take a picture? Has it bled or leaked in any way? You say she seems normal, so that's one good sign that it might not be bothering her. Is she eating and using the litter box regularly?

Here was my cats incision line about 2-3 days after the spay, it was a very clean/fast healing surgery for her. http://i.imgur.com/PvYRzXv.jpg

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Pollyanna posted:

I've come to a rather hilarious impasse with introducing the cat and the dog. The cat is extremely curious, and the dog is extremely shy. :v: Jet, the cat, is interested in Blake, the dog, and seeks him out to :catstare: at him for a bit. Blake, though, is weirded out by this and moves away, almost as though he's scared by him. Pretty submissive behavior.

Is this normal for dog-cat introductions? It seems really strange and the opposite of what I expected. Blake is a whippet, if that helps.

I would say that is very normal. The whole cats vs. dogs thing is pretty much cartoons. It's more like cats vs. everything. There are exceptions, but I think the majority of the time it is the cats that scare the dogs, chase them around, tease them and push play, etc. Your dog will just need to get used to the little bundle of evil.

There are some ways to speed it up, like switching their blankets up so they catch eachothers scent, etc. But in this case, it sounds like your dog isn't a threat to the cat, which means give it more time. It may just continue on like that, cat teases dog, dog ignores cat, etc. But it depends on their personalities!

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

dopaMEAN posted:

While I was gone on vacation my Maine Coon decided not to groom himself. When I got back he was matted everywhere - like he was trying to grow dreadlocks.

I bought a really great pair of clippers and tried shearing him last night, but he fear-peed on me 3 times (twice when was just trying to hold him while the clippers made noise, with no trimming involved). I also got some nasty scratches. And he's only 50% shaved, his belly and rear knots are still intact.

Any advice for keeping him calm? I'm not sure taking him to a professional groomer will help much. And he fear-pees for car rides, too.

Uhh yea that sucks. Honestly, I would call up the vet and ask them what to do. Maybe they can give her a sedative, you'd be able to shave her no problem then. I wouldn't risk her anger/your blood on it without aid.

Lemony Fresh posted:

My kitten is 4 months old and he's taken to running around like crazy. This is the second time that he's crashed into me headfirst as I'm walking by. He crashes into me so hard that it hurts. After he does this, he acts dazed and kind of lays down for a minute then starts playing again. Both times I've looked at him afterwards and his pupils are two different sizes. I put a light in his eyes to see if they reacted and they both did. He doesn't seem like he is hurt or anything because he continues to play right after it occurs. My concern is how do I stop him from running around like that? He is hurting me and himself by doing that. And did he have a concussion? I'm assuming cats can get concussions, but he didn't show signs of sleepiness, dizziness, or vomiting. He just had two different sized pupils.

Kittens have REALLY tough skulls, they are durable for that kind of derpy energy at that age. I am not really sure how to stop it though, i'm lucky enough to have large open areas in my apartment so my 6 month old just power runs/crashes around in the other rooms. Maybe try to tire him out with a wand/fishing pole kind of toy once or twice a day until he's panting to tire him out and control the crashing.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 25, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Lemony Fresh posted:

I took my kitten to the vet today - he's fine! The different sized pupils went away and he is perfectly normal now. They also shaved his butt since he is always getting poop stuck around it. He looks really funny now, poor guy. :(

The vet quoted me $300 for neutering him. I think that is a little expensive. I know there are a few low cost neuter places around here, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea to take him to them. Are they as safe as having a vet do it?

Take your kitty to the local SPCA if there is one, they usually have a vet clinic that will do neuters/vaccinations/whatever for 1/3rd that price.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

cross post from yospos, but: cat acquired

He couldn't figure out the cage so i just sorta led him in and shut the gate manually. Off to the vet we went.

FIV free, worm free, disease free over all. Got beginning shots, a flea pill, a second visit four weeks from now. he handled it all great, the vet was super confident he'd adjust.

He is definitely a he, ten weeks old, and a fuckin' champ. welcome home little buddy

Aww yay, this makes me :3: I figured he was around 3 months and just tiny, time to start pumping him full of kitty food! Glad everything turned out alright, and great job with the capture/vet. That went quite smoothly. I also live in a 1BR apartment, and since you have no pets, its probably the BEST place for a new kitten. Keep us updated with pictures!

Esmerelda posted:

My fluffy cat, Figaro, is at the emergency vet. Congestive heart failure. He's only 5.

We decided to try and get his symptoms under control and then make a decision based on how he's doing after 12 hours. If he can breathe easier and the medication starts to work then we'll deal with pilling him and the various follow-up visits until his quality of life becomes something I'm not comfortable with.

I really didn't expect to have to make any sort of life or death decisions for my cat this early. He's still so very young. It sucks. Today just sucks.

Oh no. I hope everything goes ok. That is so scary when I just got a 5 month old cat last month. :glomp:

adamarama posted:

My wife and I just moved into a new house and she's keen to get a kitten. She always had cats at home when younger, and I'm all for it. It seems to be kitten season at the moment as well, the shelter has lots. We both work though, is it fair to leave a kitten at home all day while we're in work? The shelter don't release them until they're at least 12 weeks. Also I see the OP talks alot about adopting two kittens. I can completely see the logic but I'm a little worried about the cost and well, having two animals roaming the house instead of one. We don't work long hours, weekends always free. Is it difficult for a cat to be at home on its own all day?

It's not GREAT, but it's not going to kill the kitten. Your kitten is going to sleep ALL DAY though, and is going to be running around and meowing through the night. As long as you can deal with that I wouldn't worry much. Make sure there aren't electronics to chew, check for hazards each day before you leave, and make sure they have plenty of toys and snuggly blankets and such. As far as getting a second cat goes, I would wait a few months and see what your kittens personality is like. You can always introduce another cat later on when you have an idea of what the first one costs. (This is all based on the assumption that your kitten is over 12 weeks old, litter trained, weaned, etc.)

Esroc posted:

So my kitten just flat out refuses to use the litter box. I bough some Cat Attract litter but it didn't do any good at all, she didn't even seem to notice it. I've already made an appointment with a vet where I will bring up the problem, but I have doubts that it's a medical issue because she will use litter boxes at other houses. When I've brought her to other houses with cats she'll make beeline straight for their litter box. So why won't she use the one I have set up for her?

I've moved it to different places, made sure it's secluded and away from anything loud or stressful, but she just acts like it's not there. What gives?

How old is she? Is it a covered or uncovered box? Is it easy for her to get in and out of? Size/type of litter box, as well as the type of litter, and the location can matter. I would really recommend finding a kitten friendly odor-FREE litter, a lot of scented litters don't go well with kittens. Put her in the litter box everytime she eats or drinks, as well as in the morning, afternoon and at night if possible. If she goes in the box, reward her with a treat! Out of hundreds of cats i've worked with from 6 weeks to 15+ years, only two of them didn't use the litter box, one a feral stray, and the other was older and from an abusive home. It may take some effort, but unless its a medical issue, you should be able to train her!

JayJay fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 30, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

ferndavant posted:

Hey guys,

I'm freaking out here. Yesterday, Deuces got vaccinated. She pretty quickly went down hill, though. She's not eating, she's not drinking, she just sits there curled up in a ball. I noticed she's also limping, and when I touch her, she yips in pain, particularly when I touch her leg.

Is this normal? What can I do? Should I be worried? Is it emergency vet clinic time?

I am going to assume it was a rabies shot? Usually that is in the hind leg. Just like shots we get, cats can have soreness, reactions, etc. due to vaccinating. But rabies vac reactions are pretty rare. Was this her first time vaccinating or has she had the same shots before without issue? I would first call the vet that administered the shots, and just ask their advice before going to an e-clinic. Most vets, as long as they are open, will make time to see a post-visit issue or give you better advice than I am. Definitely try and feel around and look at the area for any kind of swelling, redness or hair loss. I believe the shot is under/behind the leg? It could (hopefully) just be that your girl is a bit of a fuss, and her leg is very sore.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 31, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Where can you get nice cheap litter box tops in Canada? I guess the dollar store wouldn't have them. Henry does not understand the correct procedure to burying poop and throws litter all over the place. There needs to be a :catdowns: emoticon.

No idea on the litter box top, but have you thought about just getting a big litter trap mat? I have one under my girls box cause she does the same, and it traps the litter pretty well until I can hand vacuum it up. I guess that might be a bit more pricey than you are looking for though, mine was like 15 or 20 on amazon. :catstare:

JayJay fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 31, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

ferndavant posted:

Okay,

I went to the vet, and she was running a fever. The vet gave her another shot, with fever meds or something, for free, and said if she's not better in 24 hours, bring her back. She's hiding under my bed right now, still not eating. I'm thinking about getting her some wet food, and seeing if she'll eat some of that. Any particular suggestions? She seems like she's in a lot of pain, not just on her leg. She bristles if you touch her at all.

Still freaking out. :ohdear:

Update: I went to Petsmart and bough Royal Canin instinctive because according to the can, cats instinctively love it! Marketing! But, it worked amazingly. She gobbled up half a can right away, and she'd drank some water while I was gone. Yes, I measured the water before and after I left. What of it? :colbert:

Anyway, I'm hoping she'll be okay now. This is the first cat I've ever owned, and the first pet I've had since my childhood dog, and a betta fish, so I'm nervous. She's so tiny. Vet says she's full grown and she only weighs 7lbs. I'm just afraid she'll drop dead at any moment.

Don't panic! She's probably just scared, and likely wants to be left alone. Being taken out twice to the vet, being sick, etc, will all affect her mood. I am the same way with my new pets, I fuss and fret.. and eventually you just realize you have to relax or you'll be doing that for the next XX years of your life. I was checking my kittens spay incision every hour on the hour and brought her to the vet when I saw an extra little cut on her leg that was barely worth mentioning. :shrug: Sounds like the vet isn't too worried though, and those meds should kick in soon and hopefully have her feeling a bit better. She is not going to drop dead on you.

Good idea on the wet food. My girl was only 3.5lbs when she got home (with a cone on), at 5 months. She was teeny tiny. I've already fattened her up to about 4.5-5lbs in a month! If you can afford it, feed her can food as often as possible! I spoil my cat rotten and like to waste my money, so she gets half a can of blue buffalo wilderness every morning, and wilderness dry food the rest of the day. The large cans run about $1.30 on sale. You can probably get the cheaper canned food though for something like 25-50 cents a day. At the very least, it may be a good to do so until she puts on another pound or two.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 31, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

visuvius posted:

My cats used to love our cat tree in our old apartment where we had carpeting. We've since moved into a new place with hardwood floors and I've got the tree set up again. They don't seem to be using it as often as they were in the old place but lately I have seen them climb up to the top again. My question is, I'm worried that when they jump off the top that they will hurt their legs/paws on the hardwood flooring. Is this something I should be concerned about? I know their bodies are made to take jumps and whatnot like that but I'm just worried that jumping off the top onto hardwood flooring for years will do some kind of damage.

Just get a good size square piece of carpet and put it under the tree. Should be pretty cheap. Or a rug, etc. Though honestly, I doubt it will matter much to the cats or the hardwood. They're both usually pretty durable. At most shelters cats are jumping from 5+ feet off trees and shelves onto concrete.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

crowtribe posted:

After a huge influx of kittens coming to a local rescue group, my girlfriend and I (after some convincing) decided to foster a kitten.

Meet Pickles, formerly Jayme (pfft, lame!).

We went a little fast and let her and our original cat, Ender, play together, under supervision. Unfortunately that didn't quite work out as an oblivious kitten and a threatened cat clashed a little.

So we slowed it down and did the introduction thing over a few days, and now they're playing together like old pals, with the pitter patter noises of two cats running and sliding on our wood floors as they chase each other.

All good things must come to an end though, and Pickles is now listed on a few cat adoption sites and will hopefully go to a new home soon, and we can get back to our one horse cat town.

I'm sure she'll go really quick, too. Furry little bastard sleeps at the end of our bed just out of reach of our sleep-kicking feet, and on the top of the back cushions of the couch behind our heads as we watch TV, sleeping with her head on her crossed paws. :3:

Shoulda changed it to Jaime. A Lannister cat always claws it's debts.
:goonsay:

Adorable! I really wish I could foster, but then I'd become a cat man and adopt them all.

So last night my 6 month old figured out how to finally get on the high kitchen counters. Hooray, my cats vertical life is starting, and my life of hell cleaning off anything I think might be dangerous at 5:30 am.

Black cats are so hard to take pictures of. :bang:

JayJay fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 1, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Rabbit Hill posted:

This cat is on steroids to treat her IBS, so I'm assuming that means it's a significant case? On the other hand, she was in the general population room and didn't seem to have any trouble using the litterbox. The cats there also eat Fancy Feast and other food with wheat in it, so maybe once she gets on a better diet in a less stressful environment she'll be okay.

I'm just torn because I really liked that cat -- of all the cats there, she was the one I bonded with the most, and whenever I left the room and came back, she ran right over to me -- but I'm leery of the fact that I wasn't notified about her illness sooner.

They also seemed to be dissuading me from adopting the other cat I wanted, who has been in the shelter for five years and seems on the old side. She is a nondescript small black cat, but very sweet, and I thought no one else would look twice at her so it would be great for her if I could take her home. The shelter couldn't find paperwork on her to determine her age, and now I'm wondering if she might be quite elderly...

I don't know, I'm just having a bad feeling about this all of a sudden.

The vet should be able to determine her approximate age. Have their vet do it, if they have one. That does sound a little shady though, my shelter has never had a case of "missing" paperwork. As that would be kind of a big deal at our shelter. At the least they would replace it with new papers confirmed by the vet clinic. Definitely do not adopt a cat you do not feel comfortable about. There are bazillions of cats that need homes, and you're not a bad person for deciding against it before taking them home. Its bringing them back later that makes (some) people terrible people.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Well, I decided not to adopt the sick cat or the elderly cat, and instead found a bonded pair of boys (not related) who are now in my house as I type. One is an adult cat, white with black/grey spots, 3-5 years old, who was anonymously dumped in the parking lot of the shelter, but is very docile and clearly came from a good home. He hid under the bed when he got here for less than 10 minutes and is already exploring both floors of my house.

The other is a tabby kitten, 4-5 months old, was hiding under the bed as of a few minutes ago. But then I heard the big one meow, so I went into the room, and saw the big one meowing at the little one under the bed, and the little one came out, rubbed up against him, and is now following his lead and exploring the house. This is just so cute.

Apparently they met just a week ago at the pet store where the shelter put them out for adoption, and they instantly became best friends. When I went to see them today, they were sleeping together in the same tiny bed. :3: The shelter wanted them adopted together, and I wanted a bonded pair, so here we are! I feel good that I was able to adopt an adult cat like I had planned, and that I was able to keep these two friends together.

I'm trying to think of names for them now. I think I'm going to go with Raphael (for the older cat) and Tobias (for the kitten). The archangel Raphael was Tobias' guardian angel in the Old Testament Book of Tobit, so I thought that was fitting for these two friends. Plus Tobias->Toby the Tabby, come on.

The adoption volunteer gave me a picture she had taken of the two of them on their first day together, and I took a picture of the picture. :v:

E: Here's a picture of the big one out from under the bed within a few minutes of arriving home --

The little one is currently behind the couch in the room I'm in.

Kitty friends. :3: That is probably the most perfect ages to adopt two cats. Glad you ended up waiting a bit to find the right pair.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Coconut Indian posted:

Thanks for the info! In regards to entirely wet food, I don't think I could do that just because I'm going to be starting a new semester of grad school as well as possibly getting a position that's pool/on call. Her feeding times would never be consistent. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 times a week?

It's not a huge deal really if she's not fed super-consistently at the same time. She'll probably start waking you up and getting irritable though when that time comes around and she doesn't get her food though.

While we're on the subject of canned cat food. I give my cat 1/2 a can of blue buffalo wet food every morning around 8 am, but shes typically still eating and picking at it around lunch time when I come home at 11. I don't really think 3 hours out is a big deal, so I add some hot water to it and she'll usually finish whatever was leftover. But I still worry about the wet food being out after a few hours. How many hours can cat food typically stay out? Some people seem to think 30 minutes (theres no way it goes bad that fast), where others say up to 12 hours, which seems a bit much. :psyduck:

I think I might start giving her a quarter of a can in the morning, and a quarter of a can at night, since she's only 5 lbs and probably can't finish a half a can yet in one serving. It's just a huge pain to warm up the food after taking it out of the fridge.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

aghastly posted:

Does anyone have experience with heart murmurs? The vet diagnosed Toast with a grade 1 heart murmur while he was getting vaccinated today, which she said might be concerning later on if it gets worse and when it's time to neuter him.

Bonus tired Toast pic:

We have kitties with grade 1 :h: murmurs at the shelter and they are virtually no different from any other cat. It's very minor. Just keep up with the yearly vet checkups and try to keep him happy and stress free. Neuters are so much easier than spays, they are under and snipped REALLY quickly. At grade 1 I think your vet should have no issues with a neuter. Just be sure the vet knows if its a different vet and takes care.

Look'it those bedroom eyes. :3:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Help! I live in Florida and I guess its that time, cause I have ants all around my cats food and litter. I've never had them before. She's 6.5 months so I've been free-feeding her to get her weight up, but now im not sure what to do. Im replacing the litter daily, using vinegar/water to clean around, which really annoys my cat. Cleaned my whole kitchen up and put her food in a bowl in the middle of vinegar/water in a pan to keep off the ants. Does anyone know of any kind of cat-friendly ant killer? I doubt it exists. My cat is just going crazy right now meowing and running around in laps. :argh:

Picture of the cute little poo poo.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Tamarillo posted:

No amount of vinegar or anti-ant stuff would fix it, so eventually we hired professional exterminators to treat the outside of our house. The poison was squeezed up into our weatherboards so the cats couldn't get it if they were outside, and it completely eradicated the ants that were coming inside. Problem solved.

Thanks both of you!

I guess I should talk to my apartment office as well then, since they do free exterminations. Maybe there is something they can spray at the front door.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Undead Waterfowl posted:

Home Depot sells some pet friendly pest killers as well. The Eco brand (I think it's called). We call it minty ant death as it's made with Wintergreen oils, works super fast, and smells great! Seriously, I've never even seen Raid kill ants this fast. Plus, it's pet and kid safe. We love it.

Awesome! I was about to go out right near home depot. I'll need to check for it.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Dogen posted:

Just to add my 2 cents I got a 6 pack of terro liquid bait packs off amazon and put one along the trail of ants that were coming into the front door. I don't know that it would be totally safe to use inside, but they were way more interested in the bait than my cat food crumbs and just the one pack was enough to get them to stop coming inside and I guess eventually murder their whole colony because I haven't seen anymore.

If you had a cat that wouldn't be likely to play with a little piece of clear plastic it might be ok to put inside, but if they're likely to knock some bait out and lick it up eh. It is just borax and sugar gel, though, I think, so it wouldn't be horrible if they got into it (probably)

That's basically what I ended up doing, I just put the trap in an always-closed closet near the ant trails so she can't get to them. Also I think mine are protein ants (which explains why they love her high protein grain free food), so I bought both kinds of trap just in case.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Itchy posted:

First time cat owner here. I adopted a seven year old male dsh from a woman off Craigslist who was moving and couldn't take him. He had been living with her in the same house since he was six months old. She described his as being "very shy" and didn't mention any health problems. I've had him for five days and he has been in hiding ever since I brought him home. If I try to hold him or pet him he trys to run and hide. He will sometimes hiss but never bites. When he walks through the house he's crouched low to the ground and moves slow with his tail tucked between his legs like he's scared. He also has greasy fur on his back with dandruff, which I think may be because he isn't cleaning himself. He does come out at night and when I'm at work to use the litter box and is eating small amounts of food. Is this normal behavior for a cat that's in a new environment or should I be concerned?

Poor boy. :( That just sounds like typical Kitty depression/stress from a new environment and people. After that long, it's not a big surprise at all. It's going to take a while for him to start trusting you and the new environment. You can try one of those calming sprays, which are hit and miss. But generally, just a lot of patience and cat treats. If possible, try to interact with him in the hiding spot if you can reach him, just pat his head. Some cats take longer than others. At the shelter we have cats that come in the same day, go to the front of the cage and love on people immediately. Then we have other cats who hide under their blanket/litter box and hiss at people for days/weeks. :shrug: Good luck and he'll hopefully come around soon, spoil him lots.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

JustJeff88 posted:

Can anyone recommend to me a good crunchy treat for my two kittens? They are ferals to whom I am trying to give a good home, both female and about 12-14 weeks old. They were just spayed, chipped, and given the basic vaccinations this past Friday.

I would really like to keep them on a grain-free diet if possible. I give them Wellness No-Grain Core Kitten, both wet and dry, several times a day in small portions and they love Blue Buffalo soft treats which are the perfect size for their tiny kitten mouths. They also get a bit of plain, broiled chicken as a special treat on the weekends. For dental purposes, though, I would like to get them something really crunchy. They love Greenies and those lovely Purina treats in the hourglass-shaped blue plastic bottle, but both of those are nothing but corn, soy, and other things that cats are probably best off not eating. I got some hard treats with wheat grass and no grain at Petco the other day, but they won't touch them. It's probably not a big deal from a tartar control perspective since they eat dry food every day, but I'd still appreciate suggestions.

I feed my 6 month old cat grain free only treats as well. I know other treats wont hurt her, but it's there and it's about the same price these days, so why not. As for my kitten, she LOVES two brands from pet smarts. For moist/chewy treat she likes the buddy biscuit brand, cheddar & turkey or tuna flavor. And then for crunchy she likes the science diet crunchy creations, as well as any liver flavored treats, I found beef freeze dried liver and she loves it. My little lion brand is also great and all of the above are grain free. For no petsmart, you can get the buddy biscuit treats on amazon and maybe the others as well.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

So guys, my little 5 month old kitten is now an 8 month old toddler-kitten and a huge rear end in a top hat when she gets on her fits of energy. Dashing around the house, meowing/whining loudly at things/toys, attacking anything that moves including my fingers, toes, wires, computer screens, window blinds, etc. I try to come home from lunch to play with her, then I play with her about twice more at night for 15-20 mins just to tire her out for bed.

So of course, since I volunteer at the SPCA, I am constantly bombarded with cute cats looking for homes. I am considering getting a second one to make life easier. But aside from the herp, derp, get a second cat, assholes, etc. What are the real challenges and things I can expect introducing a second cat? Like, already I am worrying about the simple things like feeding them and making sure they both eat their own food... I live in a one bedroom apartment, so I have very little options in restricting access to an area.

TL;DR My cat is a little demon and I feel bad during the week when she is all alone 8-9 hours a day, so convince me to get a second (preferably older) kitty.

Disco Salmon posted:

Litter talk.

I've had nothing but good poop/pee scooping experiences with Purina Tidy Cats. 35lbs for about $10 at my Petsmart.

Dead Cow posted:

How bad is caffeine for cats, I caught my cat drinking a diet soda this morning.

Caffeine is toxic to cats and dogs, but a few licks aren't going to send them to the vet. You would have had to have pretty much served it to them in their water bowl. Keep an eye out for any shakiness, vomiting, or anything else off, but I wouldn't worry too much.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 19, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Marathanes posted:

I intend to adopt two cats soon from a rescue which specializes in the rehabilitation and adoption of sick and injured stray cats. Many of their cats are injured, disabled or FIV+, so any general insight into these concerns (in addition to the wealth in the OP and throughout the thread) would be appreciated. I've been following the thread for a while and many of my questions have been answered, but I was wondering if anyone may have any experience or insight into a few questions I have that are lingering.

Are there any special, non obvious concerns when dealing with a one eyed cat?
Similarly, are there any concerns with a 3 legged cat?

I have a special soft spot for injured or damaged pets

Well first off, :bravo: for adopting rescue cats. You are a champ and they are going to love the poo poo out of you.

In my experience with one eye cats from the shelter, there seems to be absolutely no difference. They never knocked into things and they barely seemed to notice. I haven't handled any that have recently lost it, so obviously that may be different.

For one legged cats, obviously there's going to be some differences in how they move. But for the most part, its not a big difference and you will probably be surprised at how normal he/she is. They'll probably do lots more flips and twirls during play, but aside from that missing 1 leg/1 eye doesn't have too many special concerns for indoor cats.

As previously mentioned, FIV+ basically means you can not have any FIV negative cats. Not a huge deal at all.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

aghastly posted:

Just an update on this. I took the advice of making a really loud noise by the door whenever I leave/return to discourage Toast from trying to run toward the door, but after two days he sort of solved the problem by himself.

I was moving the vacuum cleaner to my office to use it, plugged it in and promptly got distracted with another chore. It has a foot pedal near the bottom of the vacuum to turn it on, and Toast, being curious, tried to climb it and accidentally turned it on, scaring the piss out of both himself and me. I have honestly never seen him run so fast in my life.

So I put the vacuum cleaner by the front door and now he won't go within a yard of it.

:downs:

This is how I keep my cat off the kitchen counters. Hand vacuum. Its the only thing I have ever seen her growl/hiss at.

For the door.. well... when my kitten was 7 months she kept trying to dart out the front door. (I let her out the door next to it, onto the porch. So she didn't really understand the difference between the two.) And then one day I was coming inside, and didn't see her anywhere in sight. So I pushed the door behind me, and I guess she was in the corner and bolted out and the door smacked her in the head. She was fine, but she has never again tried to run out the front door. :psyduck:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Ratzap posted:

She's lovely but brindle torties do have a reputation for being nuts rather than obnoxious. I'll raise you a photo of my girl

She unlike yours eats anything treat-like. Try dreamies or the felix treats, most cats I know will go for those.

:3: I love torties so much. They are really the weirdest of all cats. Some of them are just nuts.

I think it's harder to get them adopted then it is black cats at our shelter. :(

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

I use frontline tri-whatever on my cat, we use it on the cats at our shelter and it seems to work decently. Flees usually drop off the next day. I do hear good things about Revolution as well (more specifically for outdoor cats), but I haven't tried it. I would get either of these over a flee bath or collar, but they are a bit pricey.

Asiina posted:

Kind of a gross question (such is the life of cat ownership), but my cat had a dingleberry earlier. He couldn't get it off himself so I gently helped him out. I noticed when I was back there that his anus was a little inflamed. It's not the whole thing but one of the folds/bulbs I guess if you imagine how an anus looks. It's red and swollen to maybe double the size of the other folds. There's nothing left on there, but he's been cleaning it off and on for about an hour now so it must be irritating him. When I looked it was twitching, so it's probably sore (the things you have to look at).

Sounds like something is bothering him down there if he's grooming so often, probably a good idea to check with the vet. Has the texture of his poops changed at all? I have a manx short hair with a puffy stub tail, so I tend to have to clean her butt once a day. It does occasionally get sore but Ive never seen swelling. How old is he?

JayJay fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 2, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Rah posted:

I feel like there was a bit of progress with Sophie and Chloe today. They were actually both asleep cuddled up to me (Not directly touching each other though)... And then when they woke up Sophie tried to groom Chloe by licking her ear. After about 30 seconds though Chloe didn't like it and the hissing and chasing around started again, but I'm pleased there's been a small amount of progress :)

I would say that is actually huge progress in such a short time, seems like you are on the right track. How are you feeding them? Do they eat together in the same room without a fight? Food and play are usually the best tools to get them together and bonding. I would try playing with them and giving them both a treat when they play good. If you don't have one already, get yourself an interactive cat rod/wand toy with a strip of fabric or a rope and feather chaser.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

lorabel posted:

Why does my kitten paw at the walls on the inside of the litter box after he's done covering his pee/crap? He does this often and it drives me crazy. Weirdo.

I'm pretty sure his sister does it too, but I've only seen him do it consistently.

Mine does this too. A lot! They're just being clean. They're trying to clean off their paws and probably their litter box as well. Mine will also do it near her food bowl to clean up any dust or dirt around her bowl. I wouldn't do anything about it. It's really the least of any problems a cat could possibly give you.

Rah posted:

Just a quick update.. I can't believe how quickly Sophie and Chloe are getting used to each other. Right now I have them both cuddled up to me, and they're actually right next to each other and touching.. The fighting also hasn't been as bad today.. It's mainly seemed like play fighting, since I've not really heard any hissing.. Just a little bit of squealing every now and then. I'm really pleased they seem to be getting along now.. Hopefully it wont revert back to all the hissing at each other :')

I wish I could get a pic of this right now.. But they're both on my lap and I can't reach my phone and don't want to disturb them.. Right now Sophie is resting her head on Chloe's back while they both sleep. It's really so adorable and makes me really happy that they're getting along :)

I am so :3: right now. It's like the end of an episode of my cat from hell. :3: :3: :3:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

4R7 THi3F posted:

My boyfriend is against it because "no one can confirm with certainty that it doesn't bother the cat." But we just made an agreement--he's going to buy a $200 scratching post for her to see if that will help with her nail situation. He's convinced that it will, but I'm extremely skeptical. If the ridiculously expensive scratching post doesn't work, I get to test the kitty caps on her and see how she copes with them. I'm being gung-ho about it because her visit to the vet happened 3 months ago, and her behavior hasn't improved. I used to be able to clip her nails without any kind of incident, but these days I can only manage to cut 2-3 nails before she hisses at me and runs away. It's like I've had a different cat since bringing her back from the vet. And then the nails that I do manage to cut grow back like a day later!

Also: I think that the $200 scratching post is completely absurd. There's a child dying of starvation somewhere! Priorities!

This is the type of stuff she likes to do now that she has razor sharp claws:

Why in the hell would anyone spend $200 on a scratching post? Unless you/he means a cat tree, in which case it is one BIG scratching post. Check these out for 90 bucks. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ16O/ The entire thing is literally a giant scratching post with platforms. From that picture, you seem to have a cat that likes to be high up. I would suggest taking the 100 dollars you save on the scratching post (assuming you get a cat tree instead) and buy or make some shelves that she can lounge on up high and move around off the floor without being destructive.

As others said, caps are absolutely the most humane way to prevent scratching. Declawing isn't just the removal of claws, it isn't even just the equivalent of cutting our fingertips off, its the equivalent of removing the bone from the first knuckle up on each of your fingers and will leave lasting physical and mental scarring.

DesperateDan posted:

Then this afternoon his nose started snotting up a lot, and he is making weird jaw movements (like the snot/drool is bugging him). The jaw doesn't seem painful to touch, and he let me open his mouth for a bit and I can't see any scratches or marks inside, bar a very small chip to bottom of an incisor that doesn't look new. Both the drool and snot seem clear and normal looking, and he seems to be okay.

I would get him some lysine powder to mix in his food or pre-made lysine treats, it helps a lot for clearing up snot. If the discharge turns green or it gets worse then I would definitely make a vet visit.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 6, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Mirthless posted:

Bit unrelated, but we recently found an Armarkat cat tree sitting outside one of the dumpsters at our apartment complex. It's absolutely gigantic, and all four of our cats love it. They make a good product! I'm still shocked somebody threw it away - it's in rough shape but it's nothing a vacuum and a few screws couldn't fix.

That is awesome. They make incredible products for the price. Heres mine new, its 6 months old now and still going strong:

Lofty132 posted:

Another Dolly related incident today:

She went out and straight over the back wall, immediately started crying. We couldn't find her and 10 minutes later we're getting phone calls about her being near the railway lines and the main road (she has my girlfriend's mobile number on her collar). We managed to retrieve her but it's becoming ridiculous: if she escapes we have to just wait for the string of inevitable phone calls. She's too wild to be kept indoors all the time, a few days without going outside and she behaves really badly and also wants to go outside so it feels cruel not to let her. We put the harness on her once and she just lay on the floor sulking.

Why do you think its not being outdoors that makes her behave badly? Also can you be more specific on what you mean by behaving badly? Is she going outside the litter box? Being aggressive? Shredding furniture/objects? It's not just about keeping her indoors, you need to also keep her energy levels down and keep her interested in her new environment. The harness does take training before she will be comfortable in it. Use treats to encourage her to move around with it on. Associate the harness with something positive. I would really hate to see a cat that has been moved around that many times rehomed again.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Pollyanna posted:

My cat likes chewing on plants and leaves. We set up a Christmas tree in the living room, and he's taken to chewing on the branches and needles. Are pine trees/sap/needles toxic to cats? :ohdear:

Pine is very poisonous to cats, but more worrying is that the tree is likely sprayed with all kinds of chemicals to make it Christmas ready. Really trying not to alarm you, but as others said, get a vet visit ASAP if you see any changes at all in digestion, activity, eating, etc. And do not let him chew it!

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

I.C. posted:

I have to give my cat like 8 little pieces of pills twice a day...I don't think I'm getting them all in him. I've been experimenting with different methods, but it seems like my rate of success is falling. How to get a bunch of pill bits into a cat? Mixing with water and "injecting" into his mouth isn't working; he spits it up. Hiding in delicious foods doesn't work at all. The regular method (get pills into back of cat's mouth/throat, massage, pray for forgiveness) worked the first time, but there are so many tiny pieces of pills to put in him that they can't all go in at once...or can they?

So my question is: what is the secret to get these pills into my cat?

Yikes, 8 little pieces is a huge pain in the rear end. Basically though, the only way to do it without causing him more stress is to just dive in and make it quick.

First wrap him up in a towel if hes skittish (aka kitty burrito) and get down on your knees and stick him between your legs with a firm grip. (Unless you have someone that can hold him, which will help tremendously.)

With one hand, open up his mouth gently and with the other, as quickly as possible, stick the pills as far back in his mouth that you can, pull your hand back and close his mouth with the hand you used to open it. He will involuntarily swallow anything back there. It may take a few times to get it right, and he's going to hate you for about 5 minutes everytime, but if you can do it quickly he won't be as stressed about it. After that, give him some treats and lots of praise so he doesn't rip your eyes out at night.

Rah posted:

So I feel a little sad lately.. The last few days Chloe and Sophie wont seem to sleep on my bed anymore and prefer to go sleep on the stairs instead :( It makes me feel a little sad because they're all snuggled up together sleeping I want some of the kitty snuggles :( I guess there's nothing I can do to try convince them to come cuddle with me in bed, only give them some time and see if they decide to come back here

:3: D'aww, this is like the best problem you can ever have for two cats. Mine only comes and sleeps on me at 5 am (on schedule every morning) but otherwise she sleeps on her cat tree right near my bed. You might want to get them some kind of comfy cat furniture near your bed, so at least they are around you at night.

Hella Nervous posted:

Is two weeks too long to leave my cats with a cat-sitter coming twice a day (but nobody actually staying at the house full-time)? They're both pretty people-focused and love attention, so I'm nervous.

It's really going to depend on your cats, but if you can have the cat-sitter give them a good play session (maybe get them an interactive rod toy if you don't have one) at least they'll get some energy release and play each day. Twice a day is great though, I know many people that just have someone come and divvy out food once a day and then leave. They're probably not going to be happy but I doubt its going to cause any long term problems.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 11, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

toplitzin posted:

Is moving a good/great time to try and switch the cats from litter boxes to the toilet training method (litter Qwitter and whatnot)?

Currently one cat likes to go on the carpet in my current apartment, but at this point its because i went on vacation and the cat sitter didn't clean it up so it soaked into the under padding. Even with deep cleaning with a Upright wetvac full of Natures miracle instead of normal water/carpet cleaner. (she poops in the litterbox and switches back and froth between box and carpet for urination. No pain or struggling when she pees drinks plenty of water, etc.)

Toilet training cats is one of the dumbest ways that pet owners try and get cats to conform to their human desires, one dumb step above dressing up a cat and one dumb step below declawing.

I'll just name off a few reasons from the top of my head why this is a terrible idea.

First, your cats poo poo and piss is a HUGE benefit to you in reading their general health and well being. Cat's do not visibly let you know they are sick until they are on the verge of death. Their litter habits and goings are big red flags that can prevent illness.

Second, it's not natural, at all. Cat's do not jump up and then balance to take a crap, it creates a physical difference in how they use the bathroom which can lead to stress, accidents and problems later down the line when they are older and not as limber. Cats instinctively use the litter box, its a process of digging, crapping, and then covering that is part of being a cat.

Third, you have multiple cats, and one toilet, guess what happens when one cat has to go and another is up on the toilet? Have fun cleaning up poo poo and piss! Speaking of poo poo and piss, the toilet smells, poo poo and piss in open water smells far worse than litter, which covers up that smell within seconds.

Fourth, its just stupid. Seriously, god drat, it's some of the stupidest poo poo I hear from pet owners. Let your cats be cats.

Edit: Ok, I get a bit worked up over this stuff. But I wanted to throw in some help as well regarding the carpet pee'er. One is that, natures miracle sucks now, they were bought out and changed the formula, its the name only now. I would probably go with a good CO2 cleaner instead to get rid of that smell. Do you have multiple litter boxes already? If not, you should have number of cats + 1 litter boxes in your house, possibly with different litter types to find which one they like the best. Its going to be a new house, so theres no way to even know if its going to continue, maybe that was just a spot that another cat once pissed on and they are showing territorial insecurity over it.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Badera posted:

I've had my cat for about seven years now, and he has become overweight in the last 2-3 years (despite strict feeding guidelines from the vet, etc.), so he has difficulty cleaning his rear. Within the past month or so, however, he has started to have issues with his poop--specifically, when he takes a poo poo, it usually ends up not fully disengaging from his rear end and subsequently smeared in inappropriate places when he decides to lay down. Needless to say, this has become a real problem. The vet suggested regular rear end-shavings, which I have done faithfully, but it doesn't seem to be correcting the problem.

Battlecat (:haw:) is also very sensitive about his nether regions, so I'm sort of at a loss for what to do. Approaching him with a wet wipe is sort of like taking your life in your hands. He typically has to be sedated somewhat for the vet to shave him back there.

Are you looking for advice on how to get your cat to lose weight, or advice on how to deal with his butt more? (Hopefully the first option) Also, can you throw up a picture just to get an idea of how overweight he is?

Strict feeding is a start, and it sounds like he is still getting too much if he isn't losing weight. What are you feeding him, I would probably go grain free or a specific "light" formula. Another big thing is going to be getting him active and moving around the home. Do you play with him much daily? An interactive rod with a flutter feather would do wonders with any cat and should get him panting on his side within a few minutes. Plus, with a name like Battlecat, he should be tearing the hell out of toys!

quote:

Welp, my cat is sick. I think. She actually slept on my bed all night instead of her usual leaving for the couch around 5 AM routine, and when she woke up one of her eyes was leaky. Discharge was clear and look like it was just water. She eagerly ran to her food bowl when I put out breakfast, but she didn't seem to eat anything before I left for work. Going to keep my eye on her, but it's probably just a cold right?

It might be a cold, but if it stays clear there isn't too much to worry about. If it gets worse, see a vet, and maybe in the mean time give her some L-Lysine to help clear it up.

TheMirage posted:

Anyone have experience with alternatives to the cone of shame when it comes to post-op incision lick prevention? My 6mo old kitten just came home from spay surgery yesterday and she's already gotten the cone off twice. When it is on she can't really eat, and also when she goes into the litter box she gets all of the litter inside the cone.

I was thinking about trying out either a thin piece of gauze and a bandage on the incision, or maybe even a harness type of clothing to put her in if I can find something at the pet store. Any other thoughts?

Honestly, you should have left the cone on. She would have gotten used to it after a few days. I made the same mistake though with my kitten though and took it off, it's hard to not fall for their miserable looks in it. She went right to licking it, and I had to yell at her 5000 times, but I got lucky and had no stitch issues. You might want to try and find a "soft cone" which is probably a lot more comfortable than the plastic one.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 12, 2013