Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Jeez, I really overthink things sometimes. :downs:
And it only cost you $yourfirstborn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belflek
Feb 7, 2007

like 6 sec?
Actually two photos. The previous one a little under had a much better looking fire so I masked it in

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Click here for the full 681x1024 image.

Moonbow in Yosemite - I could kill myself for using high ISO, but I think I had the camera on auto. Focusing was my biggest problem - I tried getting it set for the hyperfocal distance, but I kind of messed up. It took me 45 minutes to see the moonbow with my eyes.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Khelmar posted:

Moonbow in Yosemite - I could kill myself for using high ISO

I was just about to say "well just convert it to monochrome!" :downs:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Khelmar posted:

Moonbow in Yosemite
I kind of like the look, it's similar to stuff shot on old film cameras with high saturation film.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Wegas

Henker
May 5, 2009

Couple of shots of a hill by my old house.

Normal:

On fire:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I have to say, that building looks a lot cooler in the night than in the day.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

sensy v2.0 posted:

I have to say, that building looks a lot cooler in the night than in the day.

Nothing worse than seeing all that dust on your negatives is there?

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

fronkpies posted:

Nothing worse than seeing all that dust on your negatives is there?
It's the loving worst. I guess it's worse than usual because it's so dark?

Ingraman
Jul 6, 2005
Arrogant bastard
A few shots from Mass:

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005

night time in the desert, used a waterbottle stuck in the sand as a tripod, hence the low, low angle. still dig the shot.

KING EGG
Dec 1, 2000

Saturday is "Treat Day"
Can film play too?

Shot on T-MAX 100 @ ISO100 for about a second. Hadn't had the camera long but I enjoyed the effect that I got. Camera was a Contax 159MM with a Zeiss 1.8/50mm for anyone interested. Love the camera to bits but the mechanisms are starting to jam and the light seals are rotting :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The problems you describe are why God invented CLA's.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
10 second exposure w/ ISO 200:

I've been meaning to take a photo like this ever since I got my camera, finally went out last night and went for it. I love how it came out.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

ElroySmin posted:

night time in the desert, used a waterbottle stuck in the sand as a tripod, hence the low, low angle. still dig the shot.

Very nice.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

you wouldn't happen to have this any bigger, would you? I'd love to make it my desktop at 3840x1080

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

suddenlyissoon posted:

you wouldn't happen to have this any bigger, would you? I'd love to make it my desktop at 3840x1080

Sure. I have the original 4272 x 2848 file. Do you just want a jpg or the raw file? I suck at post, so you're more than welcome to mess with it.

KING EGG
Dec 1, 2000

Saturday is "Treat Day"

evil_bunnY posted:

The problems you describe are why God invented CLA's.

God also invented assraping on prices for working on old cameras to keep amateurs like me on the outside.

Wes Mantooth
Dec 23, 2005

The reclusive dictator of the "Hermit Kingdom"
Toronto Skyline, 15 second exposure

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I was messing around with a few photos I took a while back that I thought were pretty useless, but when I brought the white balance all the way down to 2000 or so I noticed that the colors became much closer to daylight and I was able to get results that looked like somewhat surreal daytime photos.

These were both taken in almost pitch dark except for the streetlights you see.

I'm interested to see if anyone else likes the look of these?

ncol
May 28, 2005

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

I forget how long each of these was. Somewhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes :P

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

20 second exposure plus a flashlight

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

15 seconds with a composite sky. I need a polarizer.

scottch fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 16, 2010

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I went outside at 9:45 to get a few night shots. Not getting the one shot I was going for added insult to injury, the injury coming in the form of walking balls-first into my lawnmower, which I forgot I had moved to the patio this afternoon. I got some boring sky shots to compensate for the loss and will post them on Tuesday when I have a computer capable of talking to my camera without crashing.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I was messing around with a few photos I took a while back that I thought were pretty useless, but when I brought the white balance all the way down to 2000 or so I noticed that the colors became much closer to daylight and I was able to get results that looked like somewhat surreal daytime photos.

These were both taken in almost pitch dark except for the streetlights you see.

I'm interested to see if anyone else likes the look of these?
I do like them, although the vignetting on the second one is distracting and the green channel looks blown or close to clipping. I assume they were sodium halide lights if you had to drop the white balance so much and the colors are still beautiful, I've found in my limited experience that setting to flash white balance and doing long exposures under moonlight produces saturation right on the border of believable and bright enough to illuminate properly at 30s and f/5.6

ncol posted:

This looks almost like an infrared shot and is awesome.

Wes Mantooth posted:

Toronto Skyline, 15 second exposure

this feels heavily left-weighted and I think it would benefit from a crop in the same ratio with the CN tower on the right vertical 3rds line.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
M106 & NGC4217 in the constellation Canes Venatici. A big stack of 10 minute exposures and lots of swearing about light pollution and camera read noise.

M42, the Orion Nebula from earlier in the year, stack of 5 minute exposures though I'm looking forward to do a better job of this next year.

(fixed links, thanks for the heads up).

Jekub fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 28, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You have to link the photo page, friend :)

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

After having a tripod for a few months I actually decided to use properly and get some long exposures in London. I used FP4+ at ISO 200 (I can't even remember why I decided to push it anymore).

I'd like to give this one another go one day because I think it has more potential than what I got out of it. I think this was 2 minutes or so.

I think this was 4 or so seconds.

Just had to give the ol' light trails thing a try. This stuff is really fun, though the adjustments for reciprocity failure on B&W film are pretty intense. Again about 2+ minutes I think, original metered exposure would have been around 32 seconds.

More dusk than night. I saw some kids messing around on the riverbank skipping stones and the like. It was a rush setting up the tripod in time to capture this. Not sure how long the exposure was anymore. But over 30 seconds. It was a bit overexposed on the negative though.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

More dusk than night. I saw some kids messing around on the riverbank skipping stones and the like. It was a rush setting up the tripod in time to capture this. Not sure how long the exposure was anymore. But over 30 seconds. It was a bit overexposed on the negative though.
I can't put my finger on what this reminds me of, but it reminds me of something and I really like it.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
I've just ordered some shade 10 welding glass to have a dabble with daytime long exposure :regd08:

Jean-Paul Fartre
Jun 2, 2008

exitstenchalism

ncol posted:

I forget how long each of these was. Somewhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes :P

Im digging this one alot.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

I can't put my finger on what this reminds me of, but it reminds me of something and I really like it.

I'm sure I've seen something like it before, but I have no idea really what I was drawing on exactly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jekub posted:

M106 & NGC4217 in the constellation Canes Venatici. A big stack of 10 minute exposures and lots of swearing about light pollution and camera read noise.

M42, the Orion Nebula from earlier in the year, stack of 5 minute exposures though I'm looking forward to do a better job of this next year.

(fixed links, thanks for the heads up).

What lens/telescope are you using on these?

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
They are both taken with a Canon 1000D at prime focus on a 250mm F4.7 (1200mm) reflector mounted on a Celestron CGEM. Autoguiding is done with a modified webcam on a 70mm refractor.

It's quite a widefield setup really for deep space objects, but I'm finding for larger objects and clustered objects like the leo triplet that it is about right. I would like a nice dedicated astro camera at some point though, maybe next year.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

GWBBQ posted:

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

I'm sure I've seen something like it before, but I have no idea really what I was drawing on exactly.

Alexey Titarenko, perhaps?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

William T. Hornaday posted:

Alexey Titarenko, perhaps?
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Not sure what happened to the sky here. It probably had something to do with all the sodium lights pushing the colour temperature over 50000.

Any critique? Totally new at this, but I'm having fun!

EDIT:

A couple more from the same set.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 2, 2010