Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Pretty much any old 90mm f/2.8 or 105mm f/2.8 (or f/2.5) will make you happy. Heaps on ebay. You'll want a decent off-camera flash to drive it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kazy posted:

I dunno, since it would be such a niche lens. Probably $300 max? Not looking for stellar quality, just something I'll be able to get up close and personal with.

How long are you looking for? This Sigma 50mm looks to get some good reviews.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

in body SR and pentax heritage lenses were one of the main reasons i went with pentax. i figured i can buy cheap, old lenses that i can still use SR with. as a poor college student it was a pretty wise choice.

now with a disposable income, it's nice to have a good selection of heritage lenses I can use in less light for less cash. that said, there's no way it buys me 3/4 stops. 1 maybe 2 at best, but that's enough for some concert photography.

Being a poor college student myself at the moment I've been thinking about picking up a k-x. I'm not committed or anything, but I'm thinking.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

mediaphage posted:

How long are you looking for? This Sigma 50mm looks to get some good reviews.

My ex has this and she takes some pretty dam good shots.

I don't really shoot much macro, but the lens I use is an old screwmount vivatar 50 on a screwmount adapter that sticks out a bit and pushes up the focal plane. For $25 bucks, I can't dislike the results.

Tres Burritos posted:

Being a poor college student myself at the moment I've been thinking about picking up a k-x. I'm not committed or anything, but I'm thinking.

Unless you want video or other extra features you're better off finding a used K20D. People seem to be slowly ditching their K10D and K20Ds to get K-7s on PentaxForums, so you may be able to pick one up for >$500.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I picked up my K10 for $500 shipped from California, but since then I've seen them go for that much with a grip, or even going for less.

If you're dedicated to Pentax, you can't go wrong with a K10 or K20. I'm planning to upgrade to a D300 at some point, but it'll be painful having to give up my K10 :(

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I one my two gripes with the K10D is the CCD that is really good at overblowing highlights and the DR in general is pretty weak. The CMOS sensors in the K2x are much better and it's part of the reason I'm going for a K7 soon.

Debating whether or not I should sell my K10D as it's pretty beat up, the AE-L button is dead and the case is a little cracked. Considering all thing things my camera has been through (falling on rocks over 3 feet up a good many times, banging into a rock face while climbing, falling in mud...) - if it were any other camera is would have long been in resting in pieces.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

Unless you want video or other extra features you're better off finding a used K20D. People seem to be slowly ditching their K10D and K20Ds to get K-7s on PentaxForums, so you may be able to pick one up for >$500.

Turns out that I can get me some free lenses:

SMC PENTAX-M 1:1.7; 50mm; 6549323 ASAHI OPT.Co., Japan
Macro Focusing Zoom – No.37313389 ; 62 MM; Vivitar Series 1; 70-210 MM 1:3.5
Wide angle lens = TOU/FIVE Star – MC Auto; 28mm; 1:2.8; 49; No.8200701

Apparently the Vivitar is OK. This makes the K20D look quite a bit more tempting.

I was kind of hoping to be able to do a little bit of video but from what I've read DSLR cameras have a loooong way to go before they have good video quality. It wouldn't kill me if I didn't have video but it'd be neat.OTOH, I would like to try out some sports pictures and 3fps does seem a little slow. So, would it be smart to attempt to use those lenses and keep an eye out for a used K20D body? Or should I just wait around for the K-X's to ship?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tres Burritos posted:

Turns out that I can get me some free lenses:

SMC PENTAX-M 1:1.7; 50mm; 6549323 ASAHI OPT.Co., Japan
Macro Focusing Zoom – No.37313389 ; 62 MM; Vivitar Series 1; 70-210 MM 1:3.5
Wide angle lens = TOU/FIVE Star – MC Auto; 28mm; 1:2.8; 49; No.8200701

Apparently the Vivitar is OK. This makes the K20D look quite a bit more tempting.

I was kind of hoping to be able to do a little bit of video but from what I've read DSLR cameras have a loooong way to go before they have good video quality. It wouldn't kill me if I didn't have video but it'd be neat.OTOH, I would like to try out some sports pictures and 3fps does seem a little slow. So, would it be smart to attempt to use those lenses and keep an eye out for a used K20D body? Or should I just wait around for the K-X's to ship?

The Canon 5d2 has HD quality video.

Just an FYI everyone loving loves zooms but they are poo poo compared to the quality of the primes. That's only changed in the last decade. The Pentax primes are loving great almost universally. However, the modern Pentax DSLRs only use A-style metering, the SMC Pentax and SMC Pentax-M lenses are only somewhat compatible (anything without electrical contacts on the back, probably the other 2 lenses also). If you use them you will have to stop-down meter using the Green Button (tm). Since you will have to do that anyway, why not buy a Canon DSLR and get the awesome capability for adapters (Nikon can't match it), good AF confirm, etc.

Basically you have probably $200 of lenses there and you're talking about deciding your purchase of a $600 camera on it, locking yourself into Pentax pretty well for good. If you want video the Canon 5d2 will do it. You could look at it as a goal - get a starter body like a 40D or something, acquire some nice glass, then eventually move up to a 5d2 or a 7D (crop-frame body with the 5d2's capabilities). Purely an opinion here, but I kind of think canon has the nicer top-end glass over Nikon. Pentax is lacking by comparison.

Also without AF point indication the K-X seems dumb. The colors thing is loving gimmicky.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

paul, i think those are definitely apples and oranges there. I mean at half the price of that you can just find a K7...

I've used my pentax with screwmounts to old K mount to the crippled K, and it works fine with all. (granted you can only get the focus indicator for the center with non-AF K mount)

If you want to shoot video and will regret not being able to shoot it, Tres, then you might want to wait for the K-m, but you certainly won't have the dexterity that comes with a K20/10 for photography. If you are really on a budget, you can spend even less on a K2000D, which has the specs of the K10D, better sensor, and less capability.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

paul, i think those are definitely apples and oranges there. I mean at half the price of that you can just find a K7...

I've used my pentax with screwmounts to old K mount to the crippled K, and it works fine with all. (granted you can only get the focus indicator for the center with non-AF K mount)

If you want to shoot video and will regret not being able to shoot it, Tres, then you might want to wait for the K-m, but you certainly won't have the dexterity that comes with a K20/10 for photography. If you are really on a budget, you can spend even less on a K2000D, which has the specs of the K10D, better sensor, and less capability.

Isn't the K-m the K2000?

gsroppsa
Oct 29, 2005

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick

Beastruction posted:

Isn't the K-m the K2000?

I'm sure he meant the K200D

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

guidoanselmi posted:

Like I said, it's something to move into, I realize the 5d2 is a spendy camera - naturally, it's a new high-end full frame camera (Pentax doesn't do full frame). The 7D is also supposed to have HD video and it's retailing at a lot lower price. I don't really anticipate the Pentax solution being any cheaper except with the natural passing of time and all that.

Regardless, if you buy a $600 DSLR because you have $200 of circa-70s glass for that system you are pretty dumb.

I get normal metering with the shutter button on my 40D, not that crippled manual-only mode (no aperture priority!) Pentax deigns to let you use with the green button instead of the shutter. I can adapt pretty much any other lens to my 40D - Pentax, Nikon, Minolta (with some work on the lens) because the register distance is so loving short (you can't do it the other way around) and I still get fully normal AF point behavior in AF confirm mode.

I haven't used it much because I have been mostly in black and white film mode for a class but I love screwmount lenses too. Old Pentax glass is great but it's important to realize that even if you put it on a modern Pentax body it will be crippled so you might as well give yourself the option of a real lens system (one that doesn't rely in Tamron/Sigma to make their zooms). The 40D is right in there at $600 and is a hell of a camera. The 30D is being cleared out new for $400 and if I knew that I might not have bought my 40D.

ps: The weathersealing only applies if you buy Pentax lenses (and only DA* lenses at that I think?), Tamron/Sigma need not apply. Also in-body IS is only good for 1 stop of stabilization, 2 at best. Canon's old style of IS got 2-3, Sigma's new Bigmos 150-500 gets 3 (but if you use them on Pentax the in-body IS would mess that up so you don't get that), and Canon's new Hybrid IS pumps out a solid 4 from what I hear. Also there is no easter bunny and your parents don't love you :unsmigghh:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 6, 2009

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Paul MaudDib posted:

ps: The weathersealing only applies if you buy Pentax lenses (and only DA* lenses at that I think?)

Pentax does have weathersealed kit and low-cost 55-200mm lenses that aren't DA*, they came out with the K-m.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Aw cute, a Canon troll :)

Anyway, if video's your bag, it seems the Panasonic GH1 is the place to be.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

yem posted:

Aw cute, a Canon troll :)

gently caress you

Paul MaudDib posted:

(2 non-Pentax lenses in the picture :ohdear: )

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not pictured: KX with SMC Pentax 50/1.4

Nah, not really. I love me some Pentax film gear and when I started looking at Pentax DSLRs. I figured out that Pentax kind of sucked for alt glass (and even Pentax glass is alt glass on a modern Pentax DSLR) but I still almost ended up buying one. Realizing that the in-body IS was falling behind modern in-lens IS helped push me. to buy a Canon DSLR. Realizing that Canon did alt glass better helped too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 6, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Regardless, if you buy a $600 DSLR because you have $200 of circa-70s glass for that system you are pretty dumb.

I agree with almost everything you said except this. If you really like your $200 worth of circa-70s glass, and it covers your needs, and all you want is to go digital then a $600 Pentax DSLR is right up your alley. See: Thousands of pentaxforums posters.

I'm not saying that you might not regret it later when you want to update your lenses. See: half dozen of pentaxforums posters every few months who liquidate their setup.

But then again you might be entirely happy with the lens selection.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

I agree with almost everything you said except this. If you really like your $200 worth of circa-70s glass, and it covers your needs, and all you want is to go digital then a $600 Pentax DSLR is right up your alley. See: Thousands of pentaxforums posters.

I'm not saying that you might not regret it later when you want to update your lenses. See: half dozen of pentaxforums posters every few months who liquidate their setup.

But then again you might be entirely happy with the lens selection.

I would point out that it almost certainly will require stop-down metering (pain in the rear end), and that 70s zooms are of questionable quality and sharpness (Vivitar S1s are probably the best of the bunch though), and that things like chromatic abberation were not even on the radar, and that the Pentax camera will handle it at best no better than any other modern camera and at worst you will fight it because it is apparently unthinkable to make the camera meter the lens in aperture priority mode.

But yeah, if that still floats your boat then go for it. To be fair, Pentax does have some really cool primes - DA Ltd 40, 70, 21 in particular. So flat :fap:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Honestly, I've just bought a few FA primes which are relatively cheap and pretty drat good for the price. I think martytoof or someone remarked earlier how they keep getting unrealistically good reviews on the pentaxforums (which, well...have a lot of pretty dumb fanboys) but I buy into it.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't really anticipate the Pentax solution being any cheaper except with the natural passing of time and all that.

Well for a college student just getting into photography I think it's a better/cheaper choice - just based on my experience. The lack of IS on the lenses also brings down their price taking a few stops of a hit.

quote:

Old Pentax glass is great but it's important to realize that even if you put it on a modern Pentax body it will be crippled so you might as well give yourself the option of a real lens system

The green button work around is fine - the only issue is not being able to pick the AF point. I actually don't know if this is fixed with the K7...it seems like easy enough of a fix to put in to a new firmware, but oh well.

quote:

(one that doesn't rely in Tamron/Sigma to make their zooms).

DA zooms are out there and I've been happy with mine (DA 12-24 & a kit lens i never touch). I was tempted to get the DA* 16-50, but decided on primes. That seemed on par and cheaper than the Tamaron 17-50, but I didn't look much into it.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 6, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I would point out that it almost certainly will require stop-down metering (pain in the rear end), and that 70s zooms are of questionable quality and sharpness (Vivitar S1s are probably the best of the bunch though), and that things like chromatic abberation were not even on the radar, and that the Pentax camera will handle it at best no better than any other modern camera and at worst you will fight it because it is apparently unthinkable to make the camera meter the lens in aperture priority mode.

But yeah, if that still floats your boat then go for it. To be fair, Pentax does have some really cool primes - DA Ltd 40, 70, 21 in particular. So flat :fap:

Yeah, I mean I'm not saying it's perfect, but it all depends on how you shoot I guess. And if you're someone who's coming from an -A lens setup, then you're all set.

If I had to do it again I'd probably go with a Nikon setup, but then again if I never bought another camera I'd be pretty okay with my K10, a Tammy 70-200 and 17-50 for the foreseeable future I think.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Serious question: what's "alt glass"?

I just had most of my gear stolen so I'm starting again. I have a mid-range budget, looked at the options, and bought a new Pentax K-7, Pentax 15mm f/4 Limited and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX. I'm keeping the 70mm f/2.4 Limited and selling the few other lenses that weren't taken. It's not really even a question of value - no one else makes this kind of gear. SR is good for at least two stops and lower than that isn't super useful at the wide end where I shoot. Noise is at least as good as the competition (eg D300, D50) in a smaller package for less money. What else is there to say?

As I may have mentioned before if you want long fast lenses and big f/2.8 zooms you have several good options these days. For me, Canon and Nikon aren't delivering.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Alt glass is using lenses on systems they weren't designed for - so Nikon, Pentax, M42, etc adapted to Canon or whatever. Usually you lose metering - you have to focus with the lens wide open, turn the aperture ring to stop down, then meter and take the shot. It can be fun to stuff great glass on a system that it was never intended for.

Pentax-M or earlier glass behaves like alt glass on Pentax DSLR bodies because Pentax didn't want to put a feeler arm for the aperture on their circa-2000+ cameras.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

DPReview came out with the K7 review.

Kinda upset at the loss of the extra EV on the highlight side of DR from the K20 which is one of the reasons I want to upgrade from the K10D (besides better autofocus).

yem posted:

... bought a new Pentax K-7

How's that working out for you? Do you have any gripes about it compared to your old body (whatever that was)?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Alt glass is using lenses on systems they weren't designed for - so Nikon, Pentax, M42, etc adapted to Canon or whatever. Usually you lose metering - you have to focus with the lens wide open, turn the aperture ring to stop down, then meter and take the shot. It can be fun to stuff great glass on a system that it was never intended for.

Pentax-M or earlier glass behaves like alt glass on Pentax DSLR bodies because Pentax didn't want to put a feeler arm for the aperture on their circa-2000+ cameras.

Yep, and this pisses me off so much; all those pre-A lenses that could've been used without futzing with the "green button". Pentax users rave about all the compatibility, yet Pentax let everyone down with this approach. That, and the SDM-only lenses which won't work with older DSLR bodies.

It's like they're giving lip service to the compatibility thing, when it could be one thing that really sets them apart. How about a body that could handle (with an adapter) M42 lenses without having to stop them down? They could have decades and decades of 100% compatible lenses to brag about.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Give the razor away, sell the blades.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Give the razor away, sell the blades.

Oh, I know that's why, but when you have a bunch of competitors selling razors and blades that are more popular and (lately) competitively prized, maybe you should settle for selling better razors.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Oh, I know that's why, but when you have a bunch of competitors selling razors and blades that are more popular and (lately) competitively prized, maybe you should settle for selling better razors.

They have a pretty unstoppable advantage in terms of brand name. The K1000 is the defacto gold standard for student photography. I mean, they command stupid prices - I bought my KX (Judas window for aperture-in-viewfinder, Silicon Blue metering, in-viewfinder speed indicator with match-needle metering, DoF preview, mirror lockup) with K series 50/1.4 on the front ($81) for only $30 more than I paid for a K1000SE body ($50 with some poo poo 3rd-party zoom lenses and an official Pentax Mount Adapter K).

They can basically do whatever the gently caress they want, because I used a Pentax in class and I loved it!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

guidoanselmi posted:

How's that [K7] working out for you? Do you have any gripes about it compared to your old body (whatever that was)?

My old body was a *ist DS. The K7 is pretty much an improvement in every single area so not a lot to complain about. It's a bit heavier and slightly larger and doesn't take AA batteries (:)). On the plus side, shooting 2 stops below the 1/fl rule is awesome, the digital level and orientation sensor are great and it's ability to focus in the dark is pretty amazing too. Image quality is much improved also. The DS went blotchy around ISO800 whereas the K7 noise is still quite fine grained at ISO 1600. And being able to tweak shutter, aperture and ISO without changing the mode dial is quite a revelation.

I've been busy since I got it so have only had a few chances to go out shooting yet. I'm pretty confident it'll cope with everything I already shoot while pushing the envelope on what I'm able to shoot. Can't ask for much more than that.

Two pics from the day I bought it:

ISO 100 f/1.4 1/15s 30mm (7pm, low light)

ISO 100 f/3.5 1/250s 30mm (1pm, shade)

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 9, 2009

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

From what I read AF was more or less fixed compared to the K10D (I have no clue how it was on the *ist). I'm pretty relieved about that and I imagine at some point I'd use it for video, though it's more of a novelty.

What worries me are shots like this:

where I lose all details in highlights in places that really shouldn't be clipped out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy crap, that looks like it was run through some photoshop filter. Is that a K10?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Yeah k10d. I tried dodging the hell out of it just to bring out some details. Wasn't really going for anything good in photoshop.

Just a more dramatic example of the fried skylines I have when I shoot landscapes, really.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Curious, is there any reason not to get the K2000? My camera took a bath a few weeks ago and doesn't work anymore and I've been wanting to get a dslr for a while anyway and Costco has it with the two lens pack for $500.
I've been eying the k20d for a while, but it's still just a bit too much.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

thegreatcodfish posted:

Curious, is there any reason not to get the K2000? My camera took a bath a few weeks ago and doesn't work anymore and I've been wanting to get a dslr for a while anyway and Costco has it with the two lens pack for $500.
I've been eying the k20d for a while, but it's still just a bit too much.

I got one when they came out since they're nice and small and despite the criticisms take some nice pictures. AF acquisition can be faster than a k20. Still, if I were looking to buy one now, I'd probably wait on the k-x. Yeah I know none of you serious photographers want video, but I think it'd be cool to have when you want to catch something.

Of course, those k2ks are going to end up going for pretty cheap.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

mediaphage posted:

I got one when they came out since they're nice and small and despite the criticisms take some nice pictures. AF acquisition can be faster than a k20. Still, if I were looking to buy one now, I'd probably wait on the k-x. Yeah I know none of you serious photographers want video, but I think it'd be cool to have when you want to catch something.

Of course, those k2ks are going to end up going for pretty cheap.

Though the K-X is missing visible AF points in the viewfinder. Which is dumb.

thegreatcodfish: I'd say go for the K2k, or maybe a K200D. I can't remember the differences right now, though.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
How are these two lenses? I already have old lenses from a couple film pentax so I'm not hurting there, but it's always nice to have newer stuff that can auto focus. I'm reading the DPReview on the 18-55, but they don't have anything on the 50-200.

DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II Lens
DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Lens

I'm comparing the k20d, k-x, and k2000 and I'm still liking the k20d the most (duh). The K-x seems to be smack between them, but I think price is going to win out on this one (assuming I can talk my wife into it...).

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

thegreatcodfish posted:

This is the basic kit lens for the K20(0)D. It's a kit lens and you can get them cheap second hand. Unless you feel like going for a wide angle prime and a 28, 31, 35, or 42 mm prime, this is good for a first lens.

quote:

Don't know, never used it. Here's the Pentax Forum reviews: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showproduct.php?product=147&cat=43

I have a FA f3.5 80-200 which is probably better, cheaper, and lighter. Pentax saying it's ED doesn't mean much as I've also found out.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Hmmm, perhaps I would be better off just using my old lenses and saving up for the k20d. Thanks for the input, hopefully I'll get to put it to use soon. Just have to convince my other half now.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

thegreatcodfish posted:

How are these two lenses? I already have old lenses from a couple film pentax so I'm not hurting there, but it's always nice to have newer stuff that can auto focus. I'm reading the DPReview on the 18-55, but they don't have anything on the 50-200.

I'm comparing the k20d, k-x, and k2000 and I'm still liking the k20d the most (duh). The K-x seems to be smack between them, but I think price is going to win out on this one (assuming I can talk my wife into it...).

I have the second lens and the first version of the first ones. I don't really have much to compare them to, but they are really my go-to lenses and have served me fine for 3 years now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I just realized the most annoying thing about my K10.

The camera needs a shake reduction menu setting where I can toggle on and off all the focal lengths I own. There's nothing more annoying than switching lenses, turning the camera back on to enable SR for the new focal length, and having to thumb through 20 different lengths I don't own.

This is for manual lenses, obviously. Then again I only own a 28 and a 70-200 so maybe it's less annoying for people who only flip from 50 to 80 or something.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

K7 is on sale for about $1030, with free shipping and 3 year warranty from buydig. I just orded it yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Here's what I ended up with:

I think this will see me through the next few years at least. The body with any of those lenses mounted fits inside a Zing neoprene case for day-to-day, or the whole kit fits in a small Domke bag for travelling. Very happy :)

• Locked thread