Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

I'm really enjoying Constellations by August Burns Red. I never could get into any of their previous work, but they seem to have stepped up the songwriting on this album. Seconding the awesomeness of Tommy Rogers on Indonesia.

Constellations didn't impress me, it seemed to me as a dumbed down version of Messengers.

If you like their sound, you might like Blind Witness. The vocal is more brutal but it shares the "Breakdown over Melody" construction.

On another note, my two favorite albums of the year in the -Core department up to now are -

Impending Doom - The Serpent Legion
A whole lot of breakdowns, and very brutal. The riffs aren't all that interesting but it does its job as a placebo while I'm waiting for the next Whitechapel album.

House Vs Hurricane - Forfeiture
I might get bashed for liking Trendcore, but this Progressive Post-Hardcore band really impressed me. Their songs all sound very distinct and they have very surprising/interesting elements to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

TheIneff posted:

Is the new Job For a Cowboy album Ruination worth listening to?

Erf, they aren't -Core anymore. They went from being a top Deathcore band to an average Technical Death Metal band. Listened 2-3 of their new songs while the album was on free streaming on myspace. Good stuff but nothing incredible...

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

The Dirtyness posted:

Also I'm patiently waiting for a possible new album from As Blood Runs Black. Wikipedia has it listed as 2009 but I'm not too hopeful as I haven't heard anything about it. If you haven't heard their album Allegiance you should check it out.

Erf... that album wasn't all that great. It had some great breakdowns, I admit but the riffing is simply too generic and I felt like I was listening to the same song over and over. They simply never step out of the C Minor Natural scale...

If that's your kind of Deathcore, tough, you might like At The Throne Of Judgment , The Black Dahlia Murder (no breakdowns though, only great riffing) and Here Comes The Kraken .

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Major Burns posted:

Wait, how are these guys considered deathcore? They don't have any of the deathcire "traits" (pig squeels,breakdowns etc.)

Simply the type of riffing. Technically, it would be "Dark Metal" which is an obscure genre of which At The Gates was the leader. But nowadays, the name has more or less disapeared (go figure :rolleyes:) and people think that the type of riffing typical to Metalcore/Deathcore originated with the genre.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

AtG were one of the bands that defined melodic death metal, I haven't heard them described otherwise except by whiny kids who call them metalcore. I don't even know what "dark metal" is supposed to be, because the term is incredibly ambiguous - I have seen it used to describe blackened death metal, fairly straight black/death/doom, and a lot of the time to describe bands that sound more like Christian Death or Sisters of Mercy than a metal band.

Well, yeah, the ambiguity is one of the reasons as to why the name disapeared. I've read about the "Dark Metal" genre in a critique of Nocturnal I've read.

Fake edit -
Okay, I've done some researches.. the guy had probably pulled that one out of his rear end. Sorry 'bout the confusion.

krustster posted:

Black Dahlia Murder is just a melodic death metal band that appeals to the metalcore crowd for some unknown reason (I like them but I don't see the connection)

Same kind of riffing and of vocal work...

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

krustster posted:

Haha, I really don't think Whitechapel is a christian band:

http://darklyrics.com/lyrics/whitechapel/thesomaticdefilement.html#4

How can it NOT be christian??? It has CHAPEL in its name :confused:

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

Also, am I the only one who doesn't get Whitechapel's popularity? They always have sounded pretty bland and mediocre to me.

Well, the vocal is pretty killer, their breakdowns are kick-rear end and they have some pretty good riffing, not talking about the insane drummer.

Maybe you didn't listen to their best songs

Possession -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9tj-xH1qU
The riff at 1:58 always sends shivers down my spine

Fairy Fay -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ykcPj5nJ-I
The vocals on this one are killer, so tight

Vicer Exciser -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63P-SNtFPU&feature=related
Kick-rear end breakdown

For the fans of Whitechapel out there, you should check out Impending Doom and Oceano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EezL-fFoJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGS8vvQKg14

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Daddy Two-Coats posted:

Whitechapel is the section of London where Jack the Ripper killed people :ssh:

But on the subject, I've just recently gotten more into stuff like Attack! Attack! and Confide... anyone know of other decent "crab-core" bands like them?

I forgot that people can't hear my ironic tone on the internet.

As for crabcore... House Vs Hurricane is probably one of the best bands of that scene out there... Otherwhise I'd suggest We Came as Romans, Sky Eats Airplanes and Horse the Band.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

the Bunt posted:

What the hell is crabcore? What does that infer?

The actual names are "Trendcore" or "NintendoCore", the genre is so ridiculous that there's not really a serious name for it yet. Musically, it's simply Metalcore or Deathcore, with the addition of electronica elements. Often, it takes the form of a keyboard with a 8-Bit sound, hence the name NintendoCore.
:goonsay:

The name Crabcore originates from the position of the bassist in an Attack Attack videoclip for Stick Stickly.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

krustster posted:

Methinks you didn't actually listen to the song and just based your opinion of it on the post in this thread. Because :drat:

It only sounds like old Born of Osiris but longer and less interesting... they don't innovate in any way, they just put together a bunch of tired breakdown clichés.

It's not a bad song, but there's nothing to go wild about.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

krustster posted:

Why don't you start things off by naming some of those bands.

Born of Osiris
Veil of Maya
The Faceless
Arsonists Get All the Girls
The Devil Wears Prada
IWRESTLEDABEARONCE
Within the Ruins

Also, Here Comes the Kraken has put out my #1 Metalcore/Deathcore album for this year, a definite must-listen.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Emmure's new album Felony is out. I like it well enough, but thats just because I love Emmure. Everyone is either saying they're ripping off Korn, Acacia Strain, or Glassjaw though. I don't quiter understand those sentiments

edit: I can't even really say I like it. Its like they got lazy and jus totally overdid the breakdown thing

Again? I was afraid they wouldn't get off that stupid breakdown-only gimmick... I'll give it a listen sometimes later..

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Blah blah Whitechapel sucks

What have you got against them? I'll admit that I like metalcore in general, but I can make the difference between good metalcore/deathcore (Whitechapel, Despised Icon, Carnifex,Blind Witness, August Burns Red) and bad one (Oceano, Underneath The Gun, The Crimson Armada, Emmure). I'd like you to explain your point of view on Whitechapel as to why they should be considered as sucky?

As for Suicide Silence, 4 months ago, I would have defended them, but their new album is just so god drat awful.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

mr.vj posted:

I wrote a review on https://www.metal-jerks.com (goon-run metal review site) for This Is Exile, and I tried my best to review the music fairly, and so far from the people that I know of who read it seemed to agree with me on all points. I will say that Whitechapel do know how to play their instruments, but know nothing about interesting song structures.

Well, I kind of agree with you on some point, but I still feel as if you first looked at the album as "just another chug chug chug deathcore album" while it is quite more than that. While I know that music and art in general is a matter of opinions, I think it diminishing for Whitechapel to be put in the same bag as Suicide Silence, Emmure and Winds of Plague. While it is true that they have a lot of breakdowns and mosh-riffs, I feel like they're all pretty strong, and deserved to be; not that they were simply put there to reach the idiotic moshcore fanbase. Not many of their riffs are noticeable but there are some pretty drat solid ones. I won't get too much into details, but that album is a solid 8-8.5/10 for me.

While on that subject, has All Shall Perish already been mentionned in this thread? Their last album gets pretty dull after the 5th track, but The Price Of Existence has been #1 of my top ten metalcore/deathcore list for about a year and a half now. I expect it to remain there until the next BTBAM.

Also, about BMTH: Yes, they are assholes, but no, their music doesn't suck for that reason. I thought Count Your Blessings to be a very decent album but Suicide Season is uter garbage. Anyway, if you like them, you might like Miss May I. I don't like them all that much, but it might fall in someone else's tastes.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

mr.vj posted:

Music is dead.

I get your point about comparing them to bands you know, but deathcore is clearly not your field of expertise (in fact, you openly hate the genre). So, your field of knowledge of the genre is pretty limited, and according to your comparisons, pretty lovely. If I were to write a review of let's say a CD by Immortal, and I'd compare them to Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and Burzum, because they are the only three Black Metal bands I know of... I'd get loving crucified.

I'm not trying to be all childish and to shield them against criticism, but I think your view on metalcore and deathcore was pretty clear before you even started your review. You're no expert of the genre, and you (at least it seems through your review and your posts) can't and won't try to understand it. I won't review technical death metal CDs or Black Metal CDs because I see them as RANDOM SHREDDING and as TREMOLO PICKING AND STUPID ORGAN/CHOIRS, and I know my view wouldn't reflect that of a fan of the genre or even an unbiaised third party.

Music ain't dead, your old school death metal is what's dying.

Finally, because I'm not a complete rear end in a top hat and I'm feeling generous go listen to https://www.myspace.com/archons and https://www.myspace.com/descendintonothingness for some good melodic/technical underground death metal. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

On another note, my band's going on tour with The Agonist and Mythosis in October. Check us up on myspace if you want https://www.myspace.com/obsek . (I know, the two songs on there aren't extraordinary, we've got an album coming tho, and it's 300x better than these two songs).

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006
STOP THE PRESSES EVERYONE. Listen to Symphony In Peril - The Whore's Trophy, it's probably one of the heaviest metalcore record ever made.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Just listened to MVP myself, and it's pretty drat awesome. Reminds me quite a bit of Beneath the Massacre tbh

They record in the same studio, with the same producer. Also, Beneath are the emules of Despised Icon. I don't find them too similar tho, BTM seems over technical/random way too often...

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

7A7P

Woah, thanks for that. That's like Poison the Well but without any gay parts. Got any other bands of that kind?

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

endthisday
Another band with similar style, also broken up: I Am Divide

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

I think in the immediate future you should try out Skycamefalling, Krakatoa, and older Botch (but really, all of Botch should be checked out by any fan of hardcore in general) for similar stuff.

Good god, these guys all sound great but great hell is it hard to legally (or even illegally) find their stuff.

As for Misery Signals, I really don't dig them all that much. I can see how they can be the progression of 7a7p, but it really lacks the emotional intensity that it had. Also, a great point about 7a7p was the fact that they could make some very very melodic parts without them being necessarily gay, Misery Signals fails at that. (At least on the last album, do they do the same on earlier ones?)

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

This Circle of Contempt band is playing NYC December 5th. Just might have to check them out. Playing with Winds of Plague, pretty generic Deathcore band with the hot-chick-as-keyboardist thing which is dumb and cliche but I enjoy them.

I love how you bitched everyone on their taste in Metalcore but yet listen to WOP, what I consider to embody everything wrong with the scene.

As for CoC, I don't see what you guys see in them, to me they just sound like a rip-off of early BoO. I've only heard their Ep tho, I might check the album and come back to you.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Mazel Tov posted:

My bands demo is up on myspace now. If you like heavy hardcore check it out

http://www.myspace.com/tacomaoblivion

If you want to hear it with better quality I uploaded it on mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/?3k2mnyb4jon

Props on heaviness. Other than that, (In my own personnal opinion), I find your songs a bit redundant. And, for the singer, I don't think that he's "bad" but the mixing certainly doesn't help him. He sounds like he's in another room, screaming. I don't like his voice all too much neither.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

At least Winds of Plague has hints of METAL and hardCORE.

Hahaha, Winds of Plague, hardcore, wow. You're losing more and more credibility bro.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006
Here are two pretty decent discoveries I've made this week :

Yesterday I Had Roadkill
Pretty cliché band, but they incorporate elements from every sub-genres of deathcore (yes, even crabcore) and it turns into a pretty interesting demo, give it a listen.
http://www.myspace.com/yesterdayihadroadkill

Fat Man's War Face
This one's a lot less cliché, I'd say they sound like an extreme Unearth. The German accent on the spoken parts is pretty terrible but the music is very good nonetheless.
http://www.myspace.com/fmwf

And heck, I was going to post about and promote a local band, but the videoclip at the top of their myspace page is just soooo cheesy I have changed my mind. Still, it's worth seeing for a chuckle http://www.myspace.com/executethesinner

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

God drat it. Before I even got a chance to listen to the music of We Butter the Bread with Butter, I immediately want to not like them based off of their image posted on their MySpace page of the two of them holding Wii controllers wearing their hair with side-swept bangs like douchebags.

And then I actually got a chance to listen to the music and realized that my initial hate is justified. This is not music.
:goonsay:
(Wears a Winds of Plague T-shirt)

As far as crabcore goes, I'd say that is good crabcore, pretty drat fun to listen to anyway

(I don't think any crabcore band take themselves seriously)

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Business Raptor posted:

That doesn't really make it good, though. You can't just dismiss how terrible it sounds.

Yeah, I get your drift. Yet I didn't think it sounded that awful. Some of the melodies were pretty drat catchy.

I just don't believe it ought to be judged in the same way as Converge or BTBAM. It's fun music, that's all.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Garbage Day posted:

:siren: HORSE the Band will be participating in the next front page Q & A! :siren:

If you have something you'd like to ask HORSE the Band, you can post it here, send it to me in a private message, or e-mail it to me at garbageday@somethingawful.com.

Musically, HORSE the Band is a polarizing act in most online metalcore communities, and it seems this one is no exception. However, even people who don't dig keyboard breakdowns can usually respect that these are funny dudes who don't mind laughing at themselves and bantering with their hecklers. They've definitely had some unique adventures, too, most notably booking their own sparingly promoted and largely uncompensated 45-country tour in 2008. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with for what should be a great Q & SA!

Ask them what they think about the whole Crabcore scene.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

elbkaida posted:

I hadn't heard them before, without the cheesy synths it would probably be OK, but now it's just corny as hell.

Well, in my opinion, the synth is the only good thing about that band. Otherwise their riffs are completely generic and uninspired, not to talk about their breakdowns.

My reasons to hate them are simple, they are overhyped, their new album is terrible (their first one was OK to me), and their singer is a utter douchebag who believes he's straight out of 8Miles.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Ugh, I'm getting bored of what I have atm. I need something brutal as gently caress... like on the scope of The Price of Existence but even more brutal. I need raw brutality. gently caress.

Any recommendations? :)

The Partisan Turbine, anything by them

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Gorewar posted:

My band recently got its EP back from mastering, and we've made the whole thing available for download on 320kb mp3s:

Calculating Collapse - Fractal Sight of Consequence EP

I hope you guys dig it; we'll be touring again later this year.

That's some very good stuff you got there. The production is perfect. I really dig the sound of your bass drum. As for the songs themselves, you guys are pretty drat good. Without being overly original, you really manage to have your own sound. I like the fact that you don't have any over-announced breakdowns.

The only downpoint that I see is the fact that the first song of your EP starts with the only riff I dislike. It just seems that the second part of the lead never comes in at the same point, it pisses me off.

Where are you guys from? I could get you some gigs in Quebec

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

krustster posted:

Well I got one pretty cool shirt from them once, but then the supposed "XL" turned out to be the size of like a medium. so... yeah I dunno

Yeah, Canadian XL is pretty much an American Medium...

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006
My band's album is finally out, and since we're only selling them at shows, I'm pretty sure you guys will never get a chance to buy it. So, here's a Something Awful exclusive free download link for the full album. Feedbacks are more than welcome.

If you want some info about the music before downloading, I'd qualify the music we do as Melodic Deathcore, with a slight twist. As the main composer for the band, my main influences are As I Lay Dying, Black Dahlia Murder, and pretty much all the music I've ever listened to.

http://rapidshare.com/files/402776950/Obsek_-_Traumatic_Experiment.rar.html

If you really like the album, add us on Myspace @ https://www.myspace.com/obsek

(If you've listened to the last AILD album and notice similarities between the breakdown at the end of Then, I Relapse and AILD's Anodyne Sea's breakdown, think that our album was recorded before they even entered studio for that album, and that we had sent some rough tracks to Tim Lambesis (their singer) for him to give us a price for mastering our album. Coincidence? I do think so.)

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

I've only listened to one song so far (Then, I Relapse), but I must say, it was pretty brutal. Very well done, too. My only gripe is it kind of sounds sorta generic-y, but not to the point of spoiling it. I'll listen to some of the other songs before I give a final opinion.

A'right, thanks for the kind words. You'll see that the other songs are less generic-y... Well, I hope you'll think so. Give a listen to Toadstool, I think it's our most progressive one.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

m3talh3ad posted:

Welp :saddowns:

Fixed. Sowwy.

http://rapidshare.com/files/403149676/Obsek_-_Traumatic_Experiment.rar.htm
http://www.mediafire.com/?nmn1wxqwg4z

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

m3talh3ad posted:

Worked perfectly, listening to this on repeat while I sleep. This poo poo is good man! I've been looking for something to take the edge off while waiting for Parkway to come out, and this is great. I really like the Black Dahlia feel, with your own flavor as well. :golfclap: Thanks again

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind words, I'm really glad you like it.

VVVVVV I don't feel like flooding the thread and treating it as a chat room so, thank you for your words. We have no plans for U.S. dates right now but whenever we get the opportunity to go and tour there, I'll make sure to keep you posted. Again, thanks for the support.

Cock Soup fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 28, 2010

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Hey, this is pretty good. I was expecting it to suck, but it doesent! :)

I really like the Black Dahlia vibe, as someone else pointed out.

Hahaha I'm glad I've surprised you. Thanks a whole lot. :)

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

deernardz posted:

I'm looking for some metal that sounds similar to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpDcn6ox4kE&fmt=18

I especially like the whispery lyrics, the theme (Mothra the fictional moth monster from godzilla, etc), and the drumming style. Unfortunately one of the members from this band died a while back and they only released one CD.

You're not really in the right thread, but Tool will do the job.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

fuf posted:

Guys, guys, guys.

I love all this poo poo, but I don't like the vocal stylings that a lot of these bands go for.

Maybe there are some super sweet instrumental tracks that you enjoy? Maybe you could post some for me? :shobon:

OR, maybe there are some bands with a different vocal style? I like growling just fine, I just don't like the screaming thing.

Animals as Leaders is the answer to all of your questions.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

The Riscaa posted:

Don't bother with the new Sonic Syndicate album We rule the night. It is rubbish. Wasted $37 to find out too :v It's pretty much some terrible sounding emo now :(

How the hell do you end up paying 37$ for an album in 2010?!?

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

SeraphSlaughter posted:

Has this thread encountered Animals As Leaders yet? I'd be hard pressed to call it "-core' but eh sounds like a better Periphery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho4-tExpTE

Yep, like 3 times already, doesn't change the fact that they're loving awesome tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Zzu posted:

If you go to As Blood Runs Black's facebook and hit the "Like" link, you can listen to a new song called resist.

I promptly hit "Unlike" after I heard the song.

I don't get why a band like that with 200 000 kids wanting to be their new screamer would pick the one that sounds like a poor man's version of their old one.