Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I was just at Mayhem Festival last Saturday and I was pretty blown away by a lot of bands I've never really given a chance.

Whitechapel, Job for a Cowboy and God Forbid pretty much tore the house down before they even opened the main stage area. Trivium was Trivium but closed their set pretty awesomely, and Black Dahlia were killing it while Metal Mulisha were doing back flips and poo poo in the rain. Killswitch was awesome too, and I would do anything to hang out with Adam D on a Saturday night.

But Slayer stole the show from everybody and my friends and I left after 5 Manson songs. That was my first time seeing him, but is he always so boring? Literally nobody was moving on the lawn during his set that we saw. Not even during the Dope Show.

I found Bullet For My Valentine to be really average.

And I took this video of a guy 'enjoying' himself during Slayer. It was the oddest thing I have ever seen at a concert in my life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKSUG_NXo6s

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Has anybody listened to the new It Dies Today album 'Lividity' with the new vocalist Jason Woods? I checked it out a few weeks ago and was completely disappointed. It just goes to show that in studio Nick kind of made that band with Hatalack, even though a lot of people hated Sirens I enjoyed it for what it was.

The skit in the hidden track is pretty funny though.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can someone explain to me whats supposed to make God Forbid good?

They are pretty cool in a live setting.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Have you guys listened to the live album of Colors? It's just as good, if not better then the album version. Although it doesn't have the duel vocals part with Adam Fisher from Fear Before (obviously) which was one of the stand outs for the album for me.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Im not sure what Cancer Bats would be considered, but there new album is really good. I had a chance to see them live last year when they opened for Bullet, and initally wrote them off (there live performance was terrible) but drat, i should have listened to them sooner.

I saw Cancer Bats open for Billy Talent in San Francisco (500 person venue, really awesome) and they rocked the house. The lead singer accidentally stepped on my then girlfriends hand and tried to play it off like he didn't care.

Then after the set he was hanging out by the merch table and she told him she was girl and he hugged her, let her pick 1 free merch item and apologized like crazy.

They are also really good, be it live or on record.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
My friend burned me a copy of the Attack Attack! album and I think we can go without saying that this band has officially jumped the scene-core shark.

Auto-tuner, breakdowns and electro beats. Oh my.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 2, 2009

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Wamsutta posted:

Also, I just got around to listening to the new It Dies Today, Lividity. I REALLY like it. I loved the gently caress out of The Caitiff choir in 04, and then got into their 3-track demo (lost during a harddrive malfunction, FML) and their 6-track EP (purchased original at a show). Sirens was god awful. Lividity has a ton of heavy riffing and vocals and reminds me a lot of The Caitiff Choir.

I've only listened to Lividity once, and it was difficult to get through. I was incredibly excited when they did a teaser for Thank You for Drinking but after one spin of the album I was left wondering why nothing resonated with me. Although the skit at the end of the last track was good and I still listen to it about once a week.

I absolutely stand by that Forever Scorned (not the re-issue) is an incredible piece of work. The Caitiff Choir was also great, but I still kind of liked a little of Sirens. I'll need to listen to the new album again I think.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 20, 2009

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
hosed up an edit!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
On Between the Buried and Me's MySpace has a teaser from their new album.

It's going to melt faces, that's for sure.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Eight Is Legend posted:

I seriously don't understand why Every Time I Die wants to go on tour with BMTH. Well, I heard they party a lot, so maybe that actually explains it.

They're both on Epitaph is the only reason I could think of.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The new Every Time I Die fell through the cracks.

It's kind of kicking my rear end, i'm not going to lie.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Pantalones! posted:

Why don't I get out of this thread? Because I enjoy metalcore and I keep hoping someone starts dropping good bands.

How about instead of bitching you drop us some knowledge?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Pres posted:

This thread is now about how loving amazing the new ETID album is.

I can't stop listening to For the Record, but the only thing I don't like about the album is The Marvelous Slut simply because I feel like Greg could have done so much more.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

delusionsofgrandure posted:

Everyone in this forum probably knows the words :( it's quite sad but at the same time brilliant that they covered it...

I remember seeing the video to One Step Closer and coming back to my freshman class homeroom the following day and telling people about this heavy as gently caress song I just heard.

Oh boy.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Spiral posted:

He is 4 feet tall.

The saying about not loving with short people is pretty loving appropriate, even more so considering how ripped Greg is.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Somebody tell me where to start with Cave In.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

the Bunt posted:

Mannn...I don't know if I want to hear the album in bits and pieces like this

My sentiments exactly. I'm waiting until the whole shebang comes out before I listen to it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ShoogaSlim posted:

I have a kind of mixed view on BTBAM

I respect your opinions but I don't understand them in the slightest.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Pantalones! posted:

The only part that I think is good on colors is the part with one of the guys from fear before.. I think on vocals.

I was literally just listening to that part while reading your post. It's one of my standouts on Colors too.

I don't know, I apperciate if people aren't into the direction they've taken. That happens a lot with bands changing members and begin to experiment on new things. But to bring up the idea of them having photographs of the instruments used being pretentious just sounds like you have an axe to grind with the band, which kind of dilutes your point a bit.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The new Every Time I Die is still thoroughly rocking me on a daily basis.

'Rag men, rag men, rag men, RAG MEN!'

So loving good.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ShoogaSlim posted:

Every Time I Die

The first album I listened to from this band was the Big Dirty that I bought on a whim. I thought it was a solid piece of metalcore for sure, and then worked my way backwards. I think each album shines in its own unique way (although New Junk and Big Dirty share a lot of similarities to my ears) so at the end of the day they put out some above average albums.

Emergency Broadcast Syndrome is probably one of my favorite tracks from the band.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ShoogaSlim posted:

For there to be a singe thread on these forums dedicated to "hardcore" music and have to see people talking about Atreyu is absolutely pathetic. They were once an enjoyable band, but honestly they've gone to poo poo. Same as ETID and BTBAM.

This is because a Every Time I Die, Atreyu or whatever discussion thread couldn't sustain itself for any real discussion. This thread covers a wide range of the -core genre so even though I really don't like Atreyu, I don't complain about it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
You people really read the 'Influences' section and take something away from that?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ShoogaSlim posted:

I didn't say they wrote their own stuff, just that they felt the need to have those bios. They had to pay someone to write it for them didn't they? Or perhaps the label chooses. Still, it's dumb and most of the time I read the descriptions I just laugh at how dumb it sounds.

I'm sure they're not writing those for you then.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Cock Soup posted:

I love how you bitched everyone on their taste in Metalcore but yet listen to WOP, what I consider to embody everything wrong with the scene.

This needs to quoted again.

But anyway, seeing HORSE tonight and for some reason they're opening for Norma Jean. Also there is the Chariot and Arsonists Get All The Girls, so drat you HORSE for getting on lovely tours.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ShoogaSlim posted:

No one who likes Horse the Band can get on my poo poo for liking WOP.

You're missing the point. Nobody really gives a poo poo who you do and do not like, but to grill others on certain bands when you yourself listen to arguably poo poo music is pretty loving mental.

Seriously are you like 14 or something?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Amazon sample of a new Dillinger Escape Plan song 'Farewell, Mona Lisa' plus artwork here

Don't do it though, the album doesn't drop for about three months.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I'm not the biggest fan of the deathcore genre, but when I saw White Chapel at Mayhem Festival I was entertained.

They did head bang in unison though, that was weird.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mazel Tov posted:

Did they do the squatting in unison too?

gently caress yeah they did.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Eight Is Legend posted:

New song from Dillinger Escape Plan, "Farewell, Mona Lisa":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYWG3h28ms

Still following the Ire Works game plan it seems like, which is okay for me.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
My co-worker told me to check out Caliban but neglected to give me a starting point and they have seven albums.

Help me out you hipsters.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Garbage Day posted:

:siren: HORSE the Band will be participating in the next front page Q & A! :siren:

If you have something you'd like to ask HORSE the Band, you can post it here, send it to me in a private message, or e-mail it to me at garbageday@somethingawful.com.

Musically, HORSE the Band is a polarizing act in most online metalcore communities, and it seems this one is no exception. However, even people who don't dig keyboard breakdowns can usually respect that these are funny dudes who don't mind laughing at themselves and bantering with their hecklers. They've definitely had some unique adventures, too, most notably booking their own sparingly promoted and largely uncompensated 45-country tour in 2008. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with for what should be a great Q & SA!

Please for the love of god ask them to weigh in on Craig Owens being kicked out of Chiodos.

(They have a hilarious feud, for those unaware)

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

flare posted:

Last night was the second time I had seen Between the Buried and Me play live while headlining. Both times I've seen them they have had fantastic openers and overall great bang for the buck show. Last time I saw them Behold... the Arctopus was opening and this time it was Scale the Summit, Cynic, and Devin Townsend Project.

I tried to see these guys in San Francisco on this current tour and the venue sold out. I haven't seen Slims sell out in a long drat time, so good for them.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

flare posted:

Theres nothing wrong with personal taste but people who boo/heckle are complete jackasses and armchair musicians.

Pretty much.

The only time I could see it being somewhat called for if the musicians were clearly drunk and loving up the performance.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Spiral posted:

You are completely missing the point of rock and roll.

I'm talking about your typical local band opening the show.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

elTeddy posted:

whoa unearth and the black dahlia murder are playing here in NZ for forty bucks... that is seriously cheap.

Black Dahlia played San Francisco not too long ago for like 16 bucks.

They're killer live, so it was great.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Does anybody know what's going on with Genghis Tron? It's like the released Board Up the House and fell off the earth.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
My Curse isn't that bad rear end in a top hat :colbert:

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Anybody know what's going on with It Dies Today? Once Trustkill went under they seem to have dropped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wikipedia says there played over in berlin in august, so im guessing there still together.

Lividity was pretty mediocre; there were maybe 2-3 songs that were pretty good. Rest was filler.

Never heard any of there other albums; how does it fair to lividity?

Lividity is the weakest album in my opinion. I think it's pretty common advice to start with the Forever Scorned EP (not the re-release, this is important) and work your way forward.

They put out some good stuff with Nick.