Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

Dread Head posted:

These are shot at the wrong time of day, it looks like mid day sun which is very unflattering. Try to shoot around sunrise or sunset, the light will be softer and have a nice colour. Alternatively you can wait for a stormy overcast day and get some nice storm clouds.

Yeah you are right it was the midday sun. Unfortunately most of my free time is between 11 and 3 which is all in the midday range :( . Thanks for the criticism and advice - I love your landscapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

slearch posted:

Yeah you are right it was the midday sun. Unfortunately most of my free time is between 11 and 3 which is all in the midday range :( . Thanks for the criticism and advice - I love your landscapes.

Try to wait for a stormy or dramatically overcast day and you can easily get away with shooting in those times of the day. Landscape photos have a lot of variables that can be very difficult to control such as light, weather etc so a lot of it is just waiting for the right moment it can be very frustrating but when it all comes together it is great. If you are limited to those times try to find a location that the light can work for you for example a forested area can often still be shot during those times or some place that is shaded. Also as the days get shorter the ends of the days will get much closer to the time you have available.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Whitezombi posted:

Oh hells yes. Don't you DARE listen to anyone who says these are too dark. Get the color one printed on Kodak Endura Metallic and the black and white ones on true black and white paper immediately.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Dread Head posted:

These are shot at the wrong time of day, it looks like mid day sun which is very unflattering. Try to shoot around sunrise or sunset, the light will be softer and have a nice colour. Alternatively you can wait for a stormy overcast day and get some nice storm clouds.

I'm not too sure I agree with you on this one. I agree that morning or evening light is of a much nicer colour and that storms can work too but for the subject of corn fields I think midday lighting can work quite well. The shots shown aren't all that dramatic or necessarily well composed but the first one does make me think of a country summer afternoon.

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

Aargh posted:

I'm not too sure I agree with you on this one. I agree that morning or evening light is of a much nicer colour and that storms can work too but for the subject of corn fields I think midday lighting can work quite well. The shots shown aren't all that dramatic or necessarily well composed but the first one does make me think of a country summer afternoon.

What would you suggest as far as composition?

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

slearch posted:

Couple of a corn field South of Ottawa

or you could do this BAM ruined image, but you get the idea

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

slearch posted:

What would you suggest as far as composition?

I assume you drove there? Or at least took some sort of beaten path and didn't just walk through miles and miles of corn?

Maybe if there was a nice little section of winding road/dirt path/whatever you could try to include it in the shot.

That's just an example though. Really, anything that can act as a focal point or just break up/lead the viewer into the image a bit would help a lot.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
I think the main problem here is that the corn field is hard to focus on, unlike the sunflower(?) field that was posted before were your eyes can focus nicely on the flower heads, the cornfield just looks like a green mush.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Radbot posted:

Oh hells yes. Don't you DARE listen to anyone who says these are too dark. Get the color one printed on Kodak Endura Metallic and the black and white ones on true black and white paper immediately.

Thanks. I really need to get a bunch of prints made. I have yet to print any of my stuff.

vanillablue
Dec 28, 2004

a sad day

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Whitezombi posted:

Thanks. I really need to get a bunch of prints made. I have yet to print any of my stuff.

These are the best pictures in the thread.

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 4, 2009

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Ektar is neat-o

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Twenties Superstar posted:

Ektar is neat-o

I am *REALLY* digging this image. It could use a bump in blacks and/or saturation to set it off!

The Wensey
Jun 25, 2008

THIS IS MY ORGANIZATION NOW,...BRO!
How do you guys process sunsets well? I can't even start because trying to mask out the sky is proving nigh impossible with this picture.

Pay attention to the border between the mountains/sky and you'll see what I mean. Is it just a matter of going over it with a 5-pixel-wide brush for hours or is there a better method?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
From tonight

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

The view from Sandia Crest.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

JaundiceDave posted:

jeez where is this?

also the background could use a bit more contrast, imo. but it is my background at work now.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

This shot is amazing, I stole it for my desktop and everytime I tab to desktop it blows me away. Care to share your processing technique on this masterpiece?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

fenner posted:

This shot is amazing, I stole it for my desktop and everytime I tab to desktop it blows me away. Care to share your processing technique on this masterpiece?

Thanks. I use Lightroom. I did a basic grayscale conversion from Lightroom and then made a ton of adjustments from there. I could give you all the numbers here but I will just link to the EXIF - it shows the exact numbers.

I made a preset that I can email you if you use Lightroom.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

I made a preset that I can email you if you use Lightroom.

[/url]

Would love it :) send it to fenner.no.u@googlemail.com thanks a lot and keep shooting

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

fenner posted:

Would love it :) send it to fenner.no.u@googlemail.com thanks a lot and keep shooting

Just sent it.

Jean-Paul Fartre
Jun 2, 2008

exitstenchalism

Jean-Paul Fartre fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 6, 2009

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

guidoanselmi posted:

jeez where is this?

also the background could use a bit more contrast, imo. but it is my background at work now.

Thanks! It was at a quarry outside of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Jean-Paul Fartre posted:

I'm really wanting to go to Yosemite or Yellowstone, anyone got anything from there?

I'll post some recent stuff from the West.

Arizona

Colorado

Oh wow, these are really fantastic. The first one's almost abstract, and while I've seen many a blurred river shot, this one is really great. Good job! Do you have a flickr?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Haven't posted in PAD/CC in forever: Here are a handful from Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota:

The kittens I would kill to live in a location to visit the ocean and desert as easily as I can visit TRNP. D:<

Ingraman
Jul 6, 2005
Arrogant bastard
I took some snapshots during my recent trip to Yangshuo, China. These aren't ideal landscape shots (most were taken during high noon), given my travel partner's intolerance for photography, but it does show off the incredible karst peaks there. It's an amazingly alien area, like out of a fantasy movie, and a great trip if you like photographing landscapes.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

some of those scenes are really beautiful. those pictures could definitely benefit from some post.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
First attempts at landscapes, they are really really tough.

I have no idea what is going on in the third. That corner is just really dark, could the lens hood on my tamron 17-50 be causing that?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Whitezombi posted:

The view from Sandia Crest.

Whitezombi - Are you filtering these somehow (with a filter or a red-biased channel mixer selection in Photoshop)? The skies look brilliant, perhaps I'm just not used to seeing such beautiful haze-free skies here in Southern California.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Radbot posted:

Whitezombi - Are you filtering these somehow (with a filter or a red-biased channel mixer selection in Photoshop)? The skies look brilliant, perhaps I'm just not used to seeing such beautiful haze-free skies here in Southern California.

Nope. Part of it could be the way I process in Lightroom but the skies here in New Mexico pretty much look this way.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Jean-Paul Fartre posted:

Colorado

How long of an exposure is this and what did you do in post?

The quality of landscape photos in here is amazing, seriously.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Jean-Paul Fartre
Jun 2, 2008

exitstenchalism

The Finn posted:

How long of an exposure is this and what did you do in post?

The quality of landscape photos in here is amazing, seriously.

It was 30 seconds. For post I lightened a bit, added saturation and removed dust spots.

Sorry I don't have a flickr JaundiceDave. Thanks a lot for the comments though.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

DeusVult
Mar 23, 2007
Here's a couple of shots I took in Boracay, Philippines. All taken with an XTi with the kit lens. I'd love to hear any suggestions and tips. Looking at the pictures, I really wish I brought a sharper lens along.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I haven't really done much landscape but it's certainly something I'd like to get into more. I guess generally I have a hard time planning my life around waking up early enough to get to the scenic areas while the light's good.

Here are some shots I took while on vacation in Switzerland this summer, I posted a few in PAD but I'd love to have some critique on them so I can know what to improve upon the next time I set out to shoot some mountains.

Even telling me which you feel are strongest or if I overdid it with the processing will help me out a lot. I processed them all in Lightroom from RAW 5d MkII files. Most of them were shot with my 24mm prime f/1.4 so I was a little limited compositionally.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 24, 2009

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

going to Sequoia NP on a several day trip on the high sierra trail (before a really stressful work month). if the weather cooperates, i'll have a bunch of good photos for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia, Canada. Feedback welcome, babby's first (well, first couple of months) post-processing here.