Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

SKULE123 posted:

Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia, Canada. Feedback welcome, babby's first (well, first couple of months) post-processing here.

The composition isn't bad (would have liked to have seen more of the sky perhaps) but the colors are kind of garish. It looks overly processed. Can you post the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

killabyte posted:

The composition isn't bad (would have liked to have seen more of the sky perhaps) but the colors are kind of garish. It looks overly processed. Can you post the original?

Agreed, way too saturated, I'd tone it down a bit.

A Wizard
Jan 9, 2007

MMD3 posted:

Holy poo poo, I love this.

I'm new to landscapes (and photography in general) but it's definitely something thats caught my interest, especially with the quality of images in this thread.

A Wizard fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 28, 2009

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I guess you would call these landscapes.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I make the rocks sexy:

Shot on Portra 160VC in 6x4.5.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Crosspost of some from snapshot thread.

Also which of these do you guys prefer? first one is cloned to hell.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

MMD3 posted:

I think you took some good pictures while in Switzerland. I remember the Swiss Alps were one of my favorite things about Europe.

This picture is pretty much exactly what I remember when I think about Switzerland. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for posting the set.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fenner posted:

Definitely like the 2nd one more.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

fenner posted:

Second one by far. The first looks like it is (and it is) clumsily photoshopped.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I am definitely making my photos too dark...

Click here for the full 968x546 image.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Malalol posted:

I am definitely making my photos too dark...

Click here for the full 968x546 image.

Yes, it also looks to be at a very odd angle, try to make sure things are level, it is even more important when there is water in the scene.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Whitezombi posted:

That's good.

Burn the bottom area a bit, then it's great.

(or use a 5 filter in the printing, if these are film... don't think so though)

Good texture on the second one, too, though the DOF blur at the bottom is distracting.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Fukushima

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I adore the color pallet, it reminds me of some romanticized trip down the Danube or something. Where was it really taken?

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No. 9 posted:

I adore the color pallet, it reminds me of some romanticized trip down the Danube or something. Where was it really taken?

Thanks! It was taken on the Charles River in Boston/Cambridge. I was on the Boston side, taking a picture of one of Harvard's boathouses.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Interrupting Moss posted:

That's good.

Burn the bottom area a bit, then it's great.

(or use a 5 filter in the printing, if these are film... don't think so though)

Good texture on the second one, too, though the DOF blur at the bottom is distracting.

Thanks. These are digital. What bottom area?

Fukushima is gorgeous.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Whitezombi posted:

Thanks. These are digital. What bottom area?

Fukushima is gorgeous.
The entire mountainous region. Specifically, the lower left area could use a bit more contrast, and the bluff in general increased in brightness a bit.

I've hacked away at it to show you; the quality would be much better if performed on a TIFF file from the RAW.

If you're really into digital B&W, Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro is excellent.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Prof. Ann Mary Ann
Mar 13, 2008

♫  He’s a hypnotist,
   hypnotist of ladies  ♫
How about some infrared?

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like
:love:moray cup:love:
:love:sheep:love:

:love:haim:love:

Near the Duck Bay, Loch Lomond, Scotland

Rannoch Moor, Scotland

Calderglen, East Kilbride, Scotland

EDIT: All taken from http://www.flickr.com/photos/northward/

northward fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 30, 2009

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Went out and shot some poo poo in moonlight

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

SKULE123 posted:

Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia, Canada. Feedback welcome, babby's first (well, first couple of months) post-processing here.

Definately tone down the saturation. Peggy's Cove is a hard spot to shoot without getting people in the shot but you just need to go at the right time of day. (Hint: very early or very near sunset).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

fenner posted:

This is pretty cool.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

This is pretty cool.

Yeah, I like the nighttime shots. They have an awesome "gently caress with your head" factor.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback about my excessive, newbie use of colour in the Peggy's Cove photo. Hopefully babby's second post processing effort looks a bit better.

This is the Hverir mud pots of the Lake Myvatn region of Iceland. Amazing country, we honeymooned there and I only wish I was a better photographer to have better captured it, instead of flicking through shots that didn't work and thinking about what might have been.

I'll slowly be adding Iceland shots to the Flickr gallery, but I only have this one done for now.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 2, 2009

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

The entire mountainous region. Specifically, the lower left area could use a bit more contrast, and the bluff in general increased in brightness a bit.

I've hacked away at it to show you; the quality would be much better if performed on a TIFF file from the RAW.

Thanks. I see what you are saying. The dark area right in the middle is actually shadow but the more I look at it it doesn't stand out enough. I'll have to check out the software - little expensive tho.

SKULE123 posted:

I love this - I really want to go to Iceland.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Nevermind, not a landscape

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 2, 2009

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Seconding this.

A Sober Irishman
Sep 13, 2007

"He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."

"Really? His house looked like shit."
Went out today and took some photos properly. Borrowed a 28-200mm Tamron lens and a tripod too. I made my first ever panorama. I didn't know Photoshop had some magical tool that did it automatically for you!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

I think you need to tone down the blues on those mountains (unless that's what you're going for).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
somebody should organize a Landscape photo trade/sale operation... maybe trade prints or high-res copies (for print) with other photogs or authorize one person to print/sell them all in SA Mart with a cut going to the photogs and a cut going to the person handling the printing/shipping.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

going through the last of my iceland pictures

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
woot, good light for once

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

fenner posted:

the horizon on this looks a little off, it kinda bugs me.

quote:

this is really cool, the strong green of the moss seem to clash a bit with overall pastel like tones.

another one from iceland. i've started being a bit more aggressive with post, but i'd still like it to look realistic.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Lac Le Jeune Park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Dread Head posted:

This is really cool. My only (minor) criticism is that the railings get lost in the silhouette of the hills.