Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8x10 street at night with Musket

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ansel autisms posted:

Owns so hard.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

We killed it. Owns so hard. Mark is a character.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

A few from a recent shoot with a friend.

Breadnought fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 13, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Breadnought posted:

A few from a recent shoot with a friend.

This is really nice, but you should clone out the hair on her face (especially below the glasses).

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lPJ9J-6vDw

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

You are like my 4th favorite poster, just thought you should know.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Basically. The first shot was followed by the realization that the shrubbery (and by extension my friend) was covered in aphids.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

8th-snype posted:

You are like my 4th favorite poster, just thought you should know.

Aw thanks. Ditto.

Here's a guy:

img005
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

And here's a gal:

img013
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Chelsey
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

widunder
May 2, 2002
Election day

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You know Buster?

widunder
May 2, 2002

Spedman posted:

You know Buster?
No? :(

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Shot some stuff for a class with a friend, turned out better than I thought it would.

_MG_2316.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

_MG_2325.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Shot some stuff for a class with a friend, turned out better than I thought it would.

_MG_2316.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

This is like the most uncomfortable-looking pose ever.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Which is a shame, because the lighting is really nice. Also not sold on the full-length there.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

William T. Hornaday posted:

This is like the most uncomfortable-looking pose ever.

Yeah, it was a struggle getting him to look anything close to natural. That was probably the best pose out of what we shot at that location so I went with it. The other shot was nearer to the end of the shoot, which I think is why he looks more comfortable.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Which is a shame, because the lighting is really nice. Also not sold on the full-length there.

I cropped it to a 3/4ths shot and I think I agree with you. I was more preoccupied with having a full-length to turn in when I was editing them. I might just turn them both in like that.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Done a few kind of portrait shots recently so I thought I'd post, obviously these are all over processed but eh whatever.

Wrestling

EPW State of Origin 2014 by bang3rachi, on Flickr

TMDK - Marcius Pitt by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Band shoot

Dead White males by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Subyng
May 4, 2013
edit: nvm

Subyng fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 20, 2014

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cross postin' from the feedback thread.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

iSheep posted:

I hate the "Terry Richardson" look. It's not very flattering and it's not "good" light. Just my personal opinion.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

somnambulist posted:

I hate the "Terry Richardson" look. It's not very flattering and it's not "good" light. Just my personal opinion.

Can you please define your personal opinion of what good light is? I'll ignore the part where you assume that portraits are supposed to be flattering.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

iSheep posted:

I like it. Good expression on your subject.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

it looks a touch too red/orange to me. also the focus is on her hand which makes it look a bit off.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 23, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Cross-posting from the "street" thread. 8x10 at night.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

ansel autisms posted:

Cross-posting from the "street" thread. 8x10 at night.

How are these lit?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SB800 at full power about 4 feet away at 45 degrees with a diffuser, I think. Nothing special.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

RangerScum posted:

Can you please define your personal opinion of what good light is? I'll ignore the part where you assume that portraits are supposed to be flattering.

Everything about this lighting technique screams lazy snapshot to me (which is kind of the point, I understand, but the story its telling better be damned compelling if im going to just start shooting subjects by blasting light in their face). And yes, I do believe a portrait should be flattering or at the very least interesting. An awkwardly posed subject with a hand that is distracting more than anything with light blasted in her face isn't working for me.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

somnambulist posted:

Everything about this lighting technique screams lazy snapshot to me (which is kind of the point, I understand, but the story its telling better be damned compelling if im going to just start shooting subjects by blasting light in their face). And yes, I do believe a portrait should be flattering or at the very least interesting. An awkwardly posed subject with a hand that is distracting more than anything with light blasted in her face isn't working for me.

It's honestly no more lazy than setting up a beauty dish camera left.

I like on camera flash because it's supremely democratic. In a world where lighting budgets can hit five figures just on rental it's really cool to see someone use equipment that literally everyone with a camera has access to.

If you like the hard punchy light is it more legit to be using a 10,000 dollar pro 8 pack connected to a 1000 dollar head with a 800 dollar reflector on it? I don't think so, I like just throwing a speedlight on my camera and going at it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I personally can see the appeal of the look, but I don't think som's critique has anything to do with the cost of lighting, and I think anyone would agree that a single beauty dish is just as lazy. It's not about the cheapness or complexity of the light, it's about the thoughtfulness, and it's basically impossible to make a direct lighting shot look like it had any thought put into it unless you're doing something extremely drastic or unique with your subject. A person standing awkwardly against a wall does not fulfill that expectation. On the one hand I can see the romanticism in the "anyone could take this shot" aspect, but there's something that seems ridiculous about using expensive digital equipment to replicate a look you could get with a $10 disposable. If that's the look you want, why not just use equipment that can only achieve that instead of dumbing down your equipment to make some kind of statement? Yeah anyone with camera access can get that shot, so why use a several thousand dollar setup to get it?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Window light is free and it is much more beautiful (to me) then removing all the shadows and shape to her face for the sake of a "look".

I should clarify a couple things:

I think it's great iSheep is experimenting with different lighting techniques, and I don't want my critique to make him feel bad or give him the idea he should give up or something stupid like that.

CreativeLive.com just finished their photo week, and I just finished some classes with a portrait master Sue Bryce. While her style is very specific, and she doesn't know a lot on the technical side (she BARELY started using strobes and literally only used window light for over 20 years) she taught me so many valuable things about a portrait.

I'm not suggesting everyone should stop being creative and emulate other techniques, be unique, create a style of your own- that's great.

But ultimately you need to ask yourself: What is this photo for? If anything, MAYBE it could be used for an editorial piece, but otherwise I dont believe many clients would want portraits taken in a light that doesnt flatter their face that well. She is a very pretty girl, and I believe better light and better hand placement (and the form of the hand) would make this a thousand times stronger.

I hate the shadow on the wall, it is making my eyes stare at it, when I should be staring at her eyes. And since the lighting is so flat, she kinda blends in to the wall and its just a limitation to that style.

Ignoring the shadow, even if I stare dead on to the image and TRY to stare at her eyes, the ugly highlight on her hair is more visible then her eyes.

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 24, 2014

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I think one issue is that this is a "portrait" thread and a lot of pictures posted in here aren't what people would traditionally think of as portraits. I post pics of people in here, but hardly any of them are waht I would consider portraits. The on camera flash look would/should never be used for, say, an actors headshot. But it is useful for creating a very gritty and raw feel.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 24, 2014

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Yo dawg, I heard you like on camera flash...

Megan
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
On camera flash is just one of those trendy things, I guess. Whenever I do a couple like that and show them to the models I shoot, they always love them.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

It is very trendy right now.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
It only looks good if the subject is in front of wood paneling of some type.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If that's the look you want, why not just use equipment that can only achieve that instead of dumbing down your equipment to make some kind of statement? Yeah anyone with camera access can get that shot, so why use a several thousand dollar setup to get it?

Because obviously what matters is how much the equipment you're using cost, not what you want to do.\

somnambulist posted:

But ultimately you need to ask yourself: What is this photo for? If anything, MAYBE it could be used for an editorial piece, but otherwise I dont believe many clients would want portraits taken in a light that doesnt flatter their face that well. She is a very pretty girl, and I believe better light and better hand placement (and the form of the hand) would make this a thousand times stronger.

Ask yourself: does everything need a marketable niche?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

somnambulist posted:

And yes, I do believe a portrait should be flattering or at the very least interesting.

Well, flattering and interesting certainly don't perfectly overlap, so I don't think "the light isn't flattering" is a very good criticism of a photo that isn't necessarily meant to be flattering to the subject's looks. For instance, did you know that portraits of mentally and physically disabled people are very in vogue right now? We want to see that destitution!

For the record it's not that I think the portrait in question is all that great, just that hearing someone respond to it by making GBS threads on an entire completely valid style of photography just because "it's not for them" is pretty ignorant sounding. You should have just said the photo isn't working for you.

It's not about the cheapness or complexity of the light, it's about the thoughtfulness, and it's basically impossible to make a direct lighting shot look like it had any thought put into it unless you're doing something extremely drastic or unique with your subject.

Now we have another problem in that you're stating that all good photographs are the result of thoughtfulness, which is also wrong. There are so many examples of good photographs that were "captured in the moment without any time to really think" that it would probably be taken as kind of insulting for me to name a few. While thoughtfulness is definitely something that can help improve many aspects of photography, I think it's wrong to write off something that was created in the heat of the moment- those types of works can have a very "real" feeling to them that is absent in a lot of posed photographs. Once again I am not saying that the photograph in question feels real or intense, it doesn't, but it's not a good practice to generalize in such a way.

On the one hand I can see the romanticism in the "anyone could take this shot" aspect, but there's something that seems ridiculous about using expensive digital equipment to replicate a look you could get with a $10 disposable. If that's the look you want, why not just use equipment that can only achieve that instead of dumbing down your equipment to make some kind of statement? Yeah anyone with camera access can get that shot, so why use a several thousand dollar setup to get it?

I don't understand, are you saying that in the event that I to want to take some photos that like this, the correct way to go about it is to not use my existing equipment that would work perfectly fine for the task, and instead spend money to purchase additional equipment that is more basic? I really want to write a car analogy right now, but I'm going to refrain.

somnambulist posted:

But ultimately you need to ask yourself: What is this photo for? If anything, MAYBE it could be used for an editorial piece, but otherwise I dont believe many clients would want portraits taken in a light that doesnt flatter their face that well.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most of his work, and your work, and the work of 99% of the posters on this forum, aren't for anything besides to sit on the internet and earn flickr awards. Even if your end goal is to build a kick-rear end portfolio to shop around later in life while on your path to becoming a big-shot photographer please don't assume that is what everybody wants, or what they should want. Maybe they just like taking pictures because it makes them feel good. So what is the photo for? Probably nothing. Well, that settles that.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I think one issue is that this is a "portrait" thread and a lot of pictures posted in here aren't what people would traditionally think of as portraits. I post pics of people in here, but hardly any of them are waht I would consider portraits.

Is your brain broken? What do you consider a portrait? Your photostream from the last two years is literally only portraits of girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

voodoorootbeer posted:

How are these lit?

by me, the flashmonkey.