Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Mr. Despair posted:

Have you considered burning your camera and finding a new job/hobby that you actually enjoy?

or at least be willing to improve at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Jesus christ, what is it with this loving thread?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

William T. Hornaday posted:

Jesus christ, what is it with this loving thread?

The Dorkroom isn't a hugbox. Critique (and scorn for those who can't handle it gracefully) is the norm and that's a big reason the standard of work here is so much higher than on most internet photography forums. It's a good thing unless all you want from us is validation.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Wooten posted:

I love my job. It is my passion in life. I think I'll stop posting about it though. Later Dorkroom.
This post makes me really sad honestly.

EDIT: Not because you're leaving but because you're pretty exceedingly mediocre at your passion in life.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

MrBlandAverage posted:

The Dorkroom isn't a hugbox. Critique (and scorn for those who can't handle it gracefully) is the norm and that's a big reason the standard of work here is so much higher than on most internet photography forums. It's a good thing unless all you want from us is validation.

I was more referring to the fact there seems to be a meltdown/squabble like this every ten pages.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004
I am very new to photography, like started 6 months ago new. I shot this at a cousin's wedding a few weeks ago. I post-processed it and think the girl's skin tone is blue but I don't know how to fix that. How is it otherwise?

Flower Girl by atalentedmonkey, on Flickr

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
You cooked it a bit too long in post. While subtle edits can certainly add more punch to a photo, going overboard with the sliders looks really tacky and is easily noticed.

She's got a distinct halo around her entire body, and the grass is an unnatural type of neon green. Post the original so we can get a look at what you're working with here.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You cooked it a bit too long in post. While subtle edits can certainly add more punch to a photo, going overboard with the sliders looks really tacky and is easily noticed.

She's got a distinct halo around her entire body, and the grass is an unnatural type of neon green. Post the original so we can get a look at what you're working with here.

It looks like a nik plugin that I remember seeing a long time ago. Called glamour or something.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

Are you talking about this?

By lovely black and white conversion you mean shot on b&w film that was pushed 3 stops so that it lost most of the shadow detail?

The question about American preferences was genuine although a bit provocative. I am genuinely curious though, a lot of wedding and family portrait shots I see online from American photographers use a lot of fill flash so I am wondering if that is something the customers expect from you?

I have only done 4 paid portrait jobs this year and second shot for a photographer friend at two weddings, but I don't post paid work on this forum (or flickr) just my random shots of buildings. None of those paid portrait gigs used fill flash and they turned out pretty nice. There is a pretty basic technique involving back lighting and learning how to expose properly that produces consistent and flattering results for most people, feel free to figure it out yourself.

IMO Flash fill vs natural light are two entirely separate photography techniques and classifying them according to geographical region seems really weird to me. They both have their specific use cases and they work better sometimes more than others. They can both be done poorly too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Like I said, nothing wrong with fill light when it's done well. In this case it was pretty visibly bad and when he got called on it he was super defensive and dismissed all criticism.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is anything wrong with fill light, was just asking him why he was using it in every shot with the intention of opening up the possibility of talking about other ways you could approach those same shots.

People can be kind of dicks in this forum at times and it's not always justified, but these flare ups usually happen when someone asks for "honest critique and feedback" then gets very upset when people point out the flaws in their photos.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

1st AD posted:

Like I said, nothing wrong with fill light when it's done well. In this case it was pretty visibly bad and when he got called on it he was super defensive and dismissed all criticism.

I don't think it's fair to say he dismissed all criticism.

Some people are better than others at providing useful and tactful feedback.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

EDIT: Forgot words. She spray tanned the day before for a competition. Continuing my streak of working with subjects with fake tans, I feel like I made it work.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

iSheep posted:

EDIT: Forgot words. She spray tanned the day before for a competition. Continuing my streak of working with subjects with fake tans, I feel like I made it work.

I hate it less than I thought I would.

That's a good thing by the way.

edit: and yeah the spray tan isn't too obvious, after having worked some bodybuilding competitions that left permanent stains on painted-wood equipment racks, I've seen a LOT worse.

edit2: the person next to me on the couch indicates "drat. that's really, really good."

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 15, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think it looks great and I didn't notice the spray tan until you pointed it out.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SoundMonkey posted:

I hate it less than I thought I would.

That's a good thing by the way.

edit: and yeah the spray tan isn't too obvious, after having worked some bodybuilding competitions that left permanent stains on painted-wood equipment racks, I've seen a LOT worse.

edit2: the person next to me on the couch indicates "drat. that's really, really good."

1st AD posted:

I think it looks great and I didn't notice the spray tan until you pointed it out.

I had to work some brush magic as well, Some of the tan washed off so I had to retouch in some areas.

She said there was orange everywhere in her tub, I asked if it looked like an oompa loompa was murdered in there.

The joke fell flat.

If you guys remember, I was gonna try to do a Terry Richardson style shoot with her, I opted for a studio instead and holy poo poo am I so happy I did. There are definitely things I could have done better. But she is pleased as punch with the photos I delivered and I have some incredibly solid shots for my portfolio.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

iSheep posted:

I had to work some brush magic as well, Some of it washed off so I had to retouch in some areas.

She said there was orange everywhere in her tub, I asked if it looked like an oompa loompa was murdered in there.

The joke fell flat.

If you guys remember, I was gonna try to do a Terry Richardson style shoot with her, I opted for a studio instead and holy poo poo am I so happy I did. There are definitely things I could have done better. But she is pleased as punch with the photos I delivered and I have some incredibly solid shots for my portfolio.

Yeah the lighting is loving top-notch, and I can't imagine it working very well without really good lighting.

We're just gonna assume that by "Terry Richardson style" you mean direct on-camera flash, and yeah, this would not have looked good like that.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

iSheep posted:

I think overall the lighting is good, but the tutu is too dark in the front. If I was going to nitpick, I'd say the highlights on the left (her right) side of her face are too hot / off balance with the opposite side, but it's not really too big a deal.

smooth.operator posted:

I am very new to photography, like started 6 months ago new. I shot this at a cousin's wedding a few weeks ago. I post-processed it and think the girl's skin tone is blue but I don't know how to fix that. How is it otherwise?

Flower Girl by atalentedmonkey, on Flickr

Oh sorry, forgot- you need to slide your white balance to the right. That coloring is caused by a WB that's too cold. How is it otherwise? Well it's nothing special. The lighting in it is less than ideal and there isn't really anything particularly interesting or appealing going on. Also I think the editing you did to the photo made the colors look bad.

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 15, 2014

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RangerScum posted:

I think overall the lighting is good, but the tutu is too dark in the front. If I was going to nitpick, I'd say the highlights on the left (her right) side of her face are too hot / off balance with the opposite side, but it's not really too big a deal.

Trust me, the light on her cheek bothers me like all hell. The things I could have done better thing mostly involves that main light that I neglected to re-position when the pose called for it.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

RangerScum posted:

Oh sorry, forgot- you need to slide your white balance to the right. That coloring is caused by a WB that's too cold. How is it otherwise? Well it's nothing special. The lighting in it is less than ideal and there isn't really anything particularly interesting or appealing going on. Also I think the editing you did to the photo made the colors look bad.

Here's the original. It looked really washed out and not framed well so I cropped it and tried to colour it. I'll go back and have another go at it starting with the white balance and then using more subtle edits.

IMG_4818 by atalentedmonkey, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I hope you don't mind me editing your original, but here is how I would edit it:

To get rid of the blue cast in the shadows your best tool is individual channel adjustments using the curves tool in Lightroom (or PS). I brought up the yellows in the shadows by adjusting the blue channel.

Try to go easy on the saturation and vibrance sliders, especially in portraits.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

...an improvement.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I didn't know we were all gonna try to do this.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm already editing a wedding right now so might as well :P Hope you don't mind!

flower girl by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

meh

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 16, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I was going to try but iSheep killed it other than maybe pushing the highlights a little too hard on the dress but the color and subject separation are perfect. Good crop, too.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004
Thanks for the examples to compare to, goons!

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

iSheep posted:

The focus seems a little soft. Is that from the motion?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

img004
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

img006

img005

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I don't really feel like you're connecting with or revealing anything about your subject with any of those. What were you going for?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
People sitting there

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

LargeHadron posted:

People sitting there

Nailed it. Also the coordination between the clothing and the background on the first one owns.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Really nice depth to each shot too. Excellent use of your environments.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!
I like them, following you now on flickr :)
Great colors

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I think the blacks are pushed too far in the 3rd photo but that's really nitpicky, nice shots.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

To continue the theme, here is one of my mom sitting there

img019

e: mr mephisto, I didn't mean to dismiss your critique. I appreciate the honesty, and it's something I'll have to think on.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

My first experimental attempt at large format portraiture in the studio. Should have added 1-2 stops more DOF though.

Valerie 3 by alkanphel, on Flickr

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

LargeHadron posted:

To continue the theme, here is one of my mom sitting there

img019

e: mr mephisto, I didn't mean to dismiss your critique. I appreciate the honesty, and it's something I'll have to think on.

Nah, man, it's all good, everyone else liked them so I may be off base. This one has what I feel was missing in the last set.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

alkanphel posted:

My first experimental attempt at large format portraiture in the studio. Should have added 1-2 stops more DOF though.

Valerie 3 by alkanphel, on Flickr

really cool subject and i like the coloring, but yeah agreed on a wider DOF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-