Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
180mm-8878
suit-8835
contour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
1: it's interesting, nothing mind blowing
2: delete it.
3: awesome.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

-- nevermind i just won't shitpost --

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 25, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

ansel autisms posted:

-- nevermind i just won't shitpost --

awww come on. I know it's directed at me! That makes it ok!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Naamah
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pukestain Pal posted:

awww come on. I know it's directed at me! That makes it ok!

Kindly cease posting.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
This is probably a dumb lighting 101 question, but I was shooting my girls in their halloween costumes tonight on a white vinyl, and I'm not happy with the dingy grey look it has in places.

So - what's the best way to overcome this in the future? I feel like I would have blown out details on them if I pushed the lights higher

I was using boxes, maybe an umbrella would have worked better just because it would poo poo light everywhere instead of being focused?

The other option I thought of is that the vinyl is 2 sided - one is matte and the other is pretty shiny/reflective. I used the matte side because I figured the shiny side would have scattered too much and again, blown stuff out, but I'm feeling now like that was a mistake.

Any advice for shooting on a white backdrop would be great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You physically separate the background and give it its own lights.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

You physically separate the background and give it its own lights.

Nothing I can do if I have them on it like here? (besides photoshop after the fact)

Edit: by that I mean, wouldn't I still have the same problem with the foreground parts of the backdrop, while the far background part would at least be blown out?

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 26, 2014

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

Any advice for shooting on a white backdrop would be great.

This might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I75ZwKeA9M

Also, post a picture of your setup.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

TheAngryDrunk posted:

This might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I75ZwKeA9M

Also, post a picture of your setup.

Thanks - I will check this video out today.

I don't have a photo of my setup as I had to take it down last night since it was in our den. But I drew a terrible mspaint diagram - backdrop is 6ft wide, kids were right up against it, and there was about 3ft unrolled on the floor. The lights were at either corner of that angled in to the center, in 24x36 softboxes, and angled slightly down since the kids were sitting.

I had thought that having them right up against the backdrop would mitigate falloff issues since I was space limited. It seems what would have worked better was exposing the background a lot more than them, not just trying to avoid too much falloff. The part I'm really confused about if I do that is how I'd deal with the part of it that's around their immediate vicinity if I have them sitting or laying on it like I did here. Not sure how you can light that without overexposing the subject, or if it's just something people deal with in photoshop.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Space is probably the most important thing about getting stuff properly seamless without post production.

It's pretty easy to whiten the whites in post though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

Thanks - I will check this video out today.

I don't have a photo of my setup as I had to take it down last night since it was in our den. But I drew a terrible mspaint diagram - backdrop is 6ft wide, kids were right up against it, and there was about 3ft unrolled on the floor. The lights were at either corner of that angled in to the center, in 24x36 softboxes, and angled slightly down since the kids were sitting.

I had thought that having them right up against the backdrop would mitigate falloff issues since I was space limited. It seems what would have worked better was exposing the background a lot more than them, not just trying to avoid too much falloff. The part I'm really confused about if I do that is how I'd deal with the part of it that's around their immediate vicinity if I have them sitting or laying on it like I did here. Not sure how you can light that without overexposing the subject, or if it's just something people deal with in photoshop.

If you're limited by space then maybe you'll have to fix it in Photoshop, which is pretty easy anyway. If you have space, you would bring the kids forward, light them up separately and add 2 more lights after them to light up the background and their shadows.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks to all. I'll give it a whirl in a bigger room next time so I can light the background seperately. Appreciate the advice

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Got hired to take a few photos of a statue installation. The studio manager convinced the sculptor to let us grab a few shots of him with his work.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
is that a statue of Mr. Fixit Hulk

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Geektox posted:

is that a statue of Mr. Fixit Hulk

It's some famous canadian guy.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

8th-snype posted:

famous canadian

what?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

I think it's Anne Murray

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
That doesn't look like the guy from Rush.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I'm assuming he meant famous outside of Canada or nerdland. That said it doesn't look anything like Chad Kroeger or Celine Dion so idk

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Apparently he was some dude that built a bunch of stuff in Vancouver. It was a very polite statue.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

i guess the trailer park boys are canadian, so I retract my previous statement

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

i guess the trailer park boys are canadian, so I retract my previous statement

so is shortbus

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

i'm sorry canada, I have failed you

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

i'm sorry canada, I have failed you

it's ok, we're sorry too

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

it's ok, we're sorry too

:master:

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
mulan_audition-0148 by ian.mrozewski

mulan_audition-9655 by ian.mrozewski

pianopractice-0641 by ian.mrozewski

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Late night photos on a partybus

Party Bus!-3309 by sildargod, on Flickr

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Nice. Where'd you dig up this truck from?

Kinda wish there was a rim light providing a bit more separation on the left side, but I'm still really digging the pose and lighting overall.

I'm not sure if I really like the processing on this or if I should crop in a bit more :effort:
Aerialist 3 by chazaraz, on Flickr

Other options:
Aerialist 6 by chazaraz, on Flickr

Aerialist 1 by chazaraz, on Flickr

Aerialist 7 by chazaraz, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

1st AD posted:

Nice. Where'd you dig up this truck from?

Nelson, NV. It's a ghost town that is a photographer's wet dream.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
cello test by ian.mrozewski
ellen by ian.mrozewski
rose-garden1.jpg by ian.mrozewski
teal2 by ian.mrozewski

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

This is really first time I've done something I'd consider portraits, and first time with a flash. Hit me with some critique, homies.

DSCF1326.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSCF1436.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Naamah
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

30hz
Nov 3, 2014

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I like this a lot.

30hz
Nov 3, 2014

Huxley posted:

I like this a lot.

why? just curious is all

30hz fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 7, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

30hz posted:

why? just curious is all

I don't know about Huxley but I like it because it's a little bit jarring - a somewhat different take on a portrait and it's pretty cool because of that.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

30hz posted:

why? just curious is all

It's a little unexpected. It's a very standard portrait, his posture, the positioning, the cropping, the exposure. Everything about it is handled like I would expect there to be a smile there, except there is a weird robot face.

Or from the other direction, welder pics usually focus on the grit of the job, the sparks, the mask turned up, sweat pouring, big man hard at work style. But he's all clean, the background doesn't give much away on location. You're used to this kind of picture screaming "HARD WORK" at you, but this says more like, "Daft Punk Laundry Day."

It may not be award-winning cover of your portfolio work or anything, but I appreciate it for what it is (to me), sort of a little punchline in a photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

30hz posted:

why? just curious is all

Shapes! Lots of them. It's just cool looking.