Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

mug-shot by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

post pics of people u insufferable shits

dont call people hipsters it doesn't mean anything that isn't applicable to basically any other group of people or even yourslef (you're probably an insufferrable non self aware piece of poo poo too btw hth)

calibrate your monitors or shoot B&W like me :cool:

edit: but dont compose like me because lol @ this background crowding my subject w/ that huge light in the otp right poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I cropped to 10x8, removed the remaining painting, darkened it over all and warmed it up a bit, popped the chair so it's more obvious, and removed a bunch of extraneous reflections.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
First they came for the Hipsters, and I did not speak out—
Because I wasn't self-aware enough to realize it was me, i'm the hipster

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
Working with multiple flashes, really happy with the results

Meryl by Benjamin Patey, on Flickr

Harry by Benjamin Patey, on Flickr

bencreateddisco fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 10, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

feigning interest posted:

First they came for the Hipsters, and I did not speak out—
Because I wasn't self-aware enough to realize it was me, i'm the hipster

Subyng
May 4, 2013

bencreateddisco posted:

Working with multiple flashes, really happy with the results

Harry by Benjamin Patey, on Flickr

Nice, what's your setup?

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

fill light is a softbox being bounced off the wall behind the camera at a 45 degree angle upwards

key light is a flash firing from the left with a gobo parallel to the subject keeping it from hitting the back walls

the fill is radio controlled, and the key is triggered by that flash

they're lovely $50 altura flashes but they seemed to do the job.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

If I had another flash, I would have definitely used it as a rim light for her hair. but oh well.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I somehow got roped into my first time doing corporate headshots. Serviceable?

051115 -- 01
by Kyle, on Flickr

IMG_0079
by Kyle, on Flickr

IMG_0160
by Kyle, on Flickr

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

For traditional corporate headshots the lighting is a bit too harsh, imo. The second one is better.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

The woman has a "picture face" that isn't doing her any favors - getting her to relax would have helped immensely but may not have been possible if she's camera shy. Dude has a little bit of pooch under his chin that would be eliminated by having him press his forehead directly towards the camera just a bit. Agree on the lighting.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
What the hell is going on with the background on the 2nd one?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fix your backgrounds and your posing. That lady has a horribly forced picture smile and somebody needs to tell her to relax.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Also your horizon looks whack in the last photo. Straighten it out.

E: also, there are tutorials for reducing the shiny glare on peoples skin.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

That lady has a horribly forced picture smile and somebody needs to tell her to relax.

I don't think she can be fixed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

What the hell is going on with the background on the 2nd one?

Looks like an imperfect heal job.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the responses.

Yeah the lovely background is from trying to fix a shadow. I can do better, just need to spend more time on it.

I'll have to look for better smiles from the lady, this was toward the end so i guess it's hard to hold a good smile for long. I don't think i can do anything about his neck except use a different photo, but i can fix the lighting. I didn't notice the shine was so bad, i think i can fix that too.

I thankfully took a lot so i have some choices, but it's not something i'd do again. Was definitely a learning experience though. This was more of a favor than anything, so i'm not sweating it too much but i'd still like to learn how to do better.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

The chin can be fixed with some careful dodge and burn but I was more giving posing advice for the future.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Corporate photos are the worst...I would way rather do a session with 3 toddlers running around than three "camera face" adults....bleh.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

CarrotFlowers posted:

Corporate photos are the worst...I would way rather do a session with 3 toddlers running around than three "camera face" adults....bleh.

Three camera fave adults that know exactly what they want 😒

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.

http://imgur.com/a/8OeAc
Please feel free to give critique. Thanks for all that suggested things on the gym-shoot.
Helped a lot when I set a clear goal of getting a single good basic portrait out of each person.

Any large movements or fight shots were almost impossible to light correctly as the single flash and a reflector just couldn't light up that much space without glares and shadows.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the arm position. It's too neutral, either put them higher or lower

That's just me though and I'm a terrible photographer and person in general so ignore what I have ti say

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

beta posted:

Please feel free to give critique. Thanks for all that suggested things on the gym-shoot.
Helped a lot when I set a clear goal of getting a single good basic portrait out of each person.

Any large movements or fight shots were almost impossible to light correctly as the single flash and a reflector just couldn't light up that much space without glares and shadows.

yeah, you really needed to fill in the shadow on the stomach. a reflector might have helped a lot there. other than that, pretty decent job!

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

beta posted:

Not a critique because they look nice, but why does homeboy have a second belly button/stab wound?

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.

Pukestain Pal posted:

yeah, you really needed to fill in the shadow on the stomach. a reflector might have helped a lot there. other than that, pretty decent job!
Should have tried to use a second reflector down front. I thought about it, but was perhaps mistakenly in the opinion that muscles would lose a bit of their shadow from it.

rear end is my canvas posted:

Not a critique because they look nice, but why does homeboy have a second belly button/stab wound?
No idea. Thank you for the critique, it doesn't always have to be negative :)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

beta posted:

Echoing the need for a fill in front to soften the shadows. On top of that I would prefer to see the backgrounds lightened a bit or blacked out entirely. There's just enough information behind them to distract me but not enough to enrich the photos. The lighting on the 1st and 4th is a bit uneven as well, with some near-blown-out highlights on the guy's head compared to the relatively even, soft lighting elsewhere. I'd do what I could to balance that out.

Good job, imo. I have to say your test shot had my expectations quite low, but I'd be satisfied if I had hired an amateur hack and got these in return.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

deus isach by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 17, 2015

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

mae-portrait by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

widunder
May 2, 2002
More hand in face action

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Took some portraits for a friend as a favor. Didn't bring any lights or diffusion since it was kind of a perfect day out but definitely could have benefited from a bleached muslin or something. I've also never really taken portraits before but it's pretty hard to gently caress it up with the 135 f2L.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

widunder posted:

More hand in face action

At thumbnail size, it kinda looks like he's shoving the barrel of a rifle into the side of his mouth.

Just saying.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

thetzar posted:

At thumbnail size, it kinda looks like he's shoving the barrel of a rifle into the side of his mouth.

Just saying.

Yeah, I thought "why is that man putting a gun to his mouth" also.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

Yeah, I thought "why is that man putting a gun to his mouth" also.

I just assumed it was because of the posting

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Face Paint by David Franco, on Flickr

Thoren
May 28, 2008
What were those shot on, somnambulist?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Thoren posted:

Auto

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A Fuji.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Sara
by Steve V, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Thoren posted:

5d3 and a 135L

I love the 135L so much, wish it had IS sometimes, but otherwise perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

somnambulist posted:

5d3 and a 135L

I love the 135L so much, wish it had IS sometimes, but otherwise perfect.

Agreed. I'm so happy when I get to shoot on the 135L