Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Spedman posted:

I'm not an OCD type person at all, but those glasses are driving me nuts just by looking at them, let alone having to wear them.
I'm an OCD type person and I force closed the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I legitimately have OCD and his glasses don't bother me.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Spedman posted:

I'm not an OCD type person at all, but those glasses are driving me nuts just by looking at them, let alone having to wear them.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Are you more bothered by the lens shapes, or that the frames seem too small?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ashley by Glenn Nielson, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Ric posted:

Are you more bothered by the lens shapes, or that the frames seem too small?

It's just the different shapes that bother me, the size is fine.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

your dumb gun photos are literally the best

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thanks... I teeter on if I should've ever posted them here. Decided to at least finally upload them to my Flickr.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Andieveronica
by Steve V, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

This is very well shot. But when I see pictures like this, it's often a series in the context of others with themes like 'this is a party scene,' or 'this is a bunch of friends and how they do,' or 'this is a celebrity doing a thing.' Seeing one on its lonesome makes it a bit... strange.

I didn't shoot a lot of pictures of people for a while, and then I did! I actually went to my very first meetup.com photo meetup yesterday. It was slightly less weird than anticipated.

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Woody!

Woody by Phanatic, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Alona
by Steve V, on Flickr

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Love the image, but I so want to straighten it (so the window/door edge is parallel to the edge of the image)

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

poopinmymouth posted:

Love the image, but I so want to straighten it (so the window/door edge is parallel to the edge of the image)

What s/he said. Crooked horizon lines drive me crazy if they don't serve an obvious reason.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

scott by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

a cleverer man than me would have tilt shifted his hands to be in focus with the face v:shobon:v

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Alona
by Steve V, on Flickr

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Woody!

Woody by Phanatic, on Flickr

Haha what I'm so confused. Do you know this guy? I just ran into him in a comic book store and loved his beard.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Not sure if this should go here or the street photos thread, meant to focus on the hands and I think I missed by a hair.
Sacred_Production-30 by Geektox, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Does anyone here have any experience/opinions on using UV black lights amongst CFL's?

Materials I'm using are UV sensitive, but I'm seeing conflicting reports on ill health effects on people's eyes?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hi liter posted:

Haha what I'm so confused. Do you know this guy? I just ran into him in a comic book store and loved his beard.

He's a Philly/Lancaster area beer guy, everyone in the craft beer scene around here knows Woody, he shows up at a bunch of events and obviously stands out. Pretty nice guy. I guess he's into comic books too.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

what the gently caress posted:

Does anyone here have any experience/opinions on using UV black lights amongst CFL's?

Materials I'm using are UV sensitive, but I'm seeing conflicting reports on ill health effects on people's eyes?

It's really not good on peoples eyes, hence why people where little goggles when they sit in tanning beds. I'd just get some deep blue/purple LEDs for lighting instead.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cheers. I've got a 5-bank set of 65w 5500k's and a single 85w bulb on the other side. Works really frigging well as it is.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Nice candid capture.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

what the gently caress posted:

your eyes don't dilate in response to UV light because we don't perceive it, but it still is energy blasting into your eyes. If you're using UV of certain intensities you should be using a visible spectrum light of similar intensity so the people being affected by it have a chance to let their eyes do the right thing.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Mido posted:

your eyes don't dilate in response to UV light because we don't perceive it, but it still is energy blasting into your eyes. If you're using UV of certain intensities you should be using a visible spectrum light of similar intensity so the people being affected by it have a chance to let their eyes do the right thing.

Thankyou i did not know that. I have been turning the lights off when im not actually making an exposure just in case.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ghort by Nayrlee, on Flickr

I was really drunk when I took this. :v:

widunder
May 2, 2002
Gramps

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Spedman posted:

Those glasses own and I want a pair.

e: I found another picture of the dude wearing similar ones but with the shapes reversed, I think he must make them himself.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 24, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Hey Portrait Peoples,

So some pics from this series are on the Arsenic Magazine submission page. If you like the set, pressing the like button/heart on their website would be greatly appreciated. You dont need an account or to sign up in anyway. Just visit and like:
http://www.arsenicmag.com/submissions/2015/8/26/alona-mitchell

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
NKPH6579 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I wanted to learn how to use gels to make a color graduated background and I'm quite happy with the results

I'm a bit wary of the skin tone being a bit too desaturated on the first one, I keep flipping between thinking "a bit too green" and "looks just right". Opinions on it would be appreciated!

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 28, 2015

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

On my monitor, the first one's skin tones are perfect.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm a bit wary of the skin tone being a bit too desaturated on the first one, I keep flipping between thinking "a bit too green" and "looks just right". Opinions on it would be appreciated!

Skin tone looks fine on my (calibrated) iMac screen. The main issue I see with the image is that the highlights are all over the place and make it very confusing to look at.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Caryna posted:

The main issue I see with the image is that the highlights are all over the place and make it very confusing to look at.

Agreed. The lights were set up for someone facing the camera directly on. Do you feel the highlights are wonky on both, or just the first?

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Agreed. The lights were set up for someone facing the camera directly on. Do you feel the highlights are wonky on both, or just the first?

I'd say just the first one, mainly because her angle is creating this landscape of highlights and shadows. Second one is fine I think because the highlights are much more subtle. Not sure if I like what's going on with the light on his right hand neck and ear. It's a bit strong for my taste, so maybe one stop lower or so would be great. But hey, for all I know that could be the intended effect :)

Anyway, using gels is fun. One thing you could try, if you like colors, is to get a color wheel and experiment with complimentary gel colors for the background based on the subjects outfits/props.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Here, people: people.