Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
The grain looks good, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Addison
by Steve V, on Flickr

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Love this.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
grandma by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

McLarenF1 posted:

Love this.

Thank you.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

I don't know why, exactly, but every time you post a picture immediately after someone else's, I hate to stop for a moment, trying to figure out if you're mocking it or not. It's an interesting game.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I need to get better at my banter, and getting people to relax more. Some people it happens pretty easily with, like my last engagement shoot, but some personalities are just harder for me to read & get them to open up. Lucas and I were working 1-on-1, so it was even harder for me. I mean, I'm feeling confident in the shooting part of it; I just need to get more confident with my people skills when I'm alone with a subject.

Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

dakana posted:

I need to get better at my banter, and getting people to relax more. Some people it happens pretty easily with, like my last engagement shoot, but some personalities are just harder for me to read & get them to open up. Lucas and I were working 1-on-1, so it was even harder for me. I mean, I'm feeling confident in the shooting part of it; I just need to get more confident with my people skills when I'm alone with a subject.

Your rim light is a little too intense -- it's distracting.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

voodoorootbeer posted:

Your rim light is a little too intense -- it's distracting.

on that second one? word. I agree. I liked this light better, but the facial expression was pretty much identical to the one with the straight-behind rim

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dakana posted:

on that second one? word. I agree. I liked this light better, but the facial expression was pretty much identical to the one with the straight-behind rim

On all of the studio headshots. In the first one it looks like some kind of bad photoshop artifact around where you cut his head out and comped in a background. Like you originally shot it on white.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Hm. I didn't think about it that way. It was a gridded strobe at head level about 3 feet behind him, and I was aiming for that whole-head glow. Maybe the only reason I didn't perceive it as a distracting element is because I was aware of what it was supposed to be. That's why I post in here though, so I'm not doing stuff in a vacuum.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

dakana posted:

Hm. I didn't think about it that way. It was a gridded strobe at head level about 3 feet behind him, and I was aiming for that whole-head glow. Maybe the only reason I didn't perceive it as a distracting element is because I was aware of what it was supposed to be. That's why I post in here though, so I'm not doing stuff in a vacuum.

Rim lights don't need to be crazy bright to be effective. You can get away with -1.5 off the key light, my first impression of the first picture is that it looked like poor job cutting the subject off a white background and dropped him onto a gray background, especially in the thumbnail. Then I realized it was a super bright rim light.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

red19fire posted:

Rim lights don't need to be crazy bright to be effective. You can get away with -1.5 off the key light, my first impression of the first picture is that it looked like poor job cutting the subject off a white background and dropped him onto a gray background, especially in the thumbnail. Then I realized it was a super bright rim light.

I had the same impression. And I think the second shot could use the side lights a bit more towards the front, or at least one of them. Even lights on both sides kind of leaves the face blank and uninteresting.

The outdoor shots are OK but I think some need a longer lens. The wide angle and distance starts losing the subject.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

red19fire posted:

I think bright rim can work well, and this one wasn't that far off the key, but I think having it gridded and straight behind the head gave it the glow that puts people off.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I had the same impression. And I think the second shot could use the side lights a bit more towards the front, or at least one of them. Even lights on both sides kind of leaves the face blank and uninteresting.

This I'll fall on my sword for, though. I think for the double rim, this was the best placement. Any closer to the front and it's gonna start looking wonky. To give it more depth I should've been using a harder source like a dish. This was still the softlighter and reflector under.

quote:

The outdoor shots are OK but I think some need a longer lens. The wide angle and distance starts losing the subject.
But this I'll own to for this subset. I have some more where the subject fills more of the frame, but I think I was still gunshy about his expressions.

Here's one

www.kneerphoto.com by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

dakana posted:

But this I'll own to for this subset. I have some more where the subject fills more of the frame, but I think I was still gunshy about his expressions.

Here's one

www.kneerphoto.com by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Yeah, going to agree with what Judge Schnoopy said - this one in particular stood out to me instantly as "he's way too close to the subject". The perspective looks distorted, and in combination with the choice of fairly cramped pose creates an odd effect that makes his anatomy look out of proportion. I'd suggest stepping back, using a longer lens (to maintain the framing) and changing up the pose so he's less hunched and isn't showing off one leg while hiding the other.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

I call it "Commentary On The Male Gaze."

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 2, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

:pusheen:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

This is a quality poo poo post.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

loving lol

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

MrBlandAverage posted:

why didn't you post this on flickr? i'd like to fave it

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

MrBlandAverage posted:

Is it available on Amazon subscribe and save?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

:drat:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

Holy moly

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

MrBlandAverage posted:

This One Photograph Left Triumph, The Insult Comedy Dog Speechless!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

MrBlandAverage posted:

dear god

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

thetzar posted:

How stoned was he?

Speaking of getting stoned, I went into the woods with some new friends.

Into the Woods by Jason, on Flickr

owns

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

:+1:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Daytona Beach, FL by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

MrBlandAverage posted:

lmbo

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
2 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Some cheesecake shots for a friend

Anastasia 18 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Anastasia 17 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

A lot of the photos I took in that session came out very soft and I didn't notice it in the previews until I started processing them. I must have disengaged the autofocus at some point without noticing.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

Some cheesecake shots for a friend

A lot of the photos I took in that session came out very soft and I didn't notice it in the previews until I started processing them. I must have disengaged the autofocus at some point without noticing.

Looking at the EXIF it looks like you shot them with fully open aperture (2.8) at fairly slow shutter speed (1/15). Did you use a tripod, otherwise the softness might be a combination of shooting the lens fully open and camera shake?

VVV Well that could explain it then. Wide open lens with slow shutter speed while in strange positions is a good recipe for softness, at least for me (although I often drink a lot of coffee which makes me a bit shaky as well).

MadlabsRobot fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 17, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

MadlabsRobot posted:

Looking at the EXIF it looks like you shot them with fully open aperture (2.8) at fairly slow shutter speed (1/15). Did you use a tripod, otherwise the softness it might be a combination of shooting the lens fully open and camera shake?

No it was all handheld as I was scrambling around on my knees getting angles while she posed. There wasn't a lot of time for the shoot so I set the lights up and we just ran through some locations in my apartment.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Helen Highwater posted:

No it was all handheld as I was scrambling around on my knees getting angles while she posed. There wasn't a lot of time for the shoot so I set the lights up and we just ran through some locations in my apartment.

To get anything like you had at 1/15 is pretty amazing. If I have to drop below 1/60 I deem the lighting unacceptable and won't shoot until it's fixed, because I know 1/40 will soften up over half my shots and I'll be pissed in post.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have pretty steady hands, I can shoot unsupported up to about 1/2s normally without problems. I was shooting at +2EV which meant that the previews were very bright, which is why I didn't notice the softness from a quick look at the back screen during the shoot. I should probably have knocked it down to 0 or +1 and a faster aperture.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Helen Highwater posted:

I have pretty steady hands, I can shoot unsupported up to about 1/2s normally without problems. I was shooting at +2EV which meant that the previews were very bright, which is why I didn't notice the softness from a quick look at the back screen during the shoot. I should probably have knocked it down to 0 or +1 and a faster aperture.

Dude, stop shooting at low ISOs and slow shutter speeds if you aren't going to use a tripod. You're using a modern camera, the sensor can handle it. I promise missing a single shot due to blurriness caused by hand-holding a slow shot is going to be worse than all the extra noise from using higher ISOs added together.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah you won't notice anything at ISO 400 and even 800 will be hard to tell. I never shot with a 70D but I bet even 1600 will be barely noticeable. I had a 50D and I was always fine going up to 1600.

At least do that until you can get off camera lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Helen Highwater posted:

You are steady but your model may not be. My last cheesecake shoot I had to emphasize how still she needed to be when I took shots:

ISO 800 1/50th F5.6

Shooting on a tripod helped immensely. Allowed for a bit more depth with my aperture and decreased the odds of the shot being blurry. ISO 800 gave me a bit faster shutter speed, and there is no noise reduction done on the image.

Slow down and take your time. Discussing with your model beforehand the look they want will help with you not having to scramble for haphazard posing and shots. When both of you have a vision, and consider composition while shooting, it'll show in your final product.

EDIT: Ignore my warped verticals on the left :v: