Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Awesome pics. Great lighting. Look thick. Solid. Good white balance. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new strobes or shoot-through umbrellas. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' high-contrast, backlit, and low key you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

Yeah, your body composition, mister photographer man :smug:

My body composition follows the rule of thirds: One third fat, one third bone, and the other third is the DSLR i'm currently holding.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

This was a pretty funny sketch about couples/portrait/wedding photography on Amy Schumer's show on Comedy Central.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

"What? Heh, I just have, erm, really big pubes"

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Corey by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

We met Corey (a.k.a. Big Bird) at RJ's Drive-In Restaurant in Burns, Oregon. Corey is from Tacoma, Washington, and moved to Burns three years ago. Today was his first day off in 12 days from working the night shift at the local Safeway. He planned to spend his day hunting coyotes. He is a proponent of the right to carry arms. "Out here, you need guns. You go out of town and there's badgers, wild pigs, coyotes, bobcats. Badgers are mean, but their legs are short, so they can't jump."

This one in particular works on a few levels. The (empty) gun rack in the truck. The similar rugged, no-bullshit, two-tone color scheme of both the guy and the truck. Even his hair matches the color of the rust!

Edit: My point is that I like the text but this image in particular doesn't require any.

feigning interest fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 1, 2014

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

He sells a lot of crap but this bit of free advice is truly useful. It's basically 'myspace angles' but it's effective and flattering

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

It only looks good if the subject is in front of wood paneling of some type.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Looks cool to me. How did you light it?

VERY CAREFULLY

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

You know how most dudes dress for their engagement photos with a terrible, ill-fitting pinstriped bro shirt worn untucked over baggy dad-wash jeans and $40 payless 'dress shoes'? Even that looks better than a vest over a t-shirt (unless you're in a Korean lookbook.)

1st AD posted:

Naw, they're cute and work with her outfit and his processing.

Yea, a polka dot swim dress + oversized shades is a very classic look. It only lacks a scarf and/or oversized floppy hat.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

1) Harsh, directional light is unflattering for people with soft/round features. It can also create weird shadows that accentuate certain features(like the nose). Try a large umbrella or softbox and get it as close as possible to the subject.

2) Shooting close up with a ~35mm is generally unflattering and gives a slight fisheye effect. For close ups try stepping back and using 50mm or longer (some would argue 85-100mm minimum)

3) Naval-level shots are unflattering and makes people look large(r) waisted plus looking down creates a double chin. Try being about eye-level.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Yea, put your camera in M, ISO 100, shutter 1/200 and then go hog wild with the aperture and flash settings.

The shutter speed will make it so only the light from your flash is recorded. Now you are in control.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

it's a mixed green salad and there's a 1/10 chance of it containing a bee

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

First they came for the Hipsters, and I did not speak out—
Because I wasn't self-aware enough to realize it was me, i'm the hipster

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

i want you to photograph me like one of your afghan girls

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX6k5tRzDuU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Tony Two Bapes posted:

either you correct perspective, or you do not correct perspective, you will regret it both ways

this guy has the correct perspective

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

I call it "Commentary On The Male Gaze."

This One Photograph Left Triumph, The Insult Comedy Dog Speechless!

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I don't always smoke a pipe, but when I do, I also wear a bunch of skull rings

(good photo btw)

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Some guy who lives in a recreational vehicle with teenagers he's picked up and has an odd fascination with mushrooms

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Winnebago workshop had a pop-up show in Brooklyn the other day and he was there just hanging out with everyone. He was cool enough to show me around the winnebago and chat and let me take a few photos of him. Super nice guy! :shroom:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

tau posted:

Does it count if it's a portrait of a statue person?

We're gonna let this one slide but only because nothing matters and we all die alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

better watch out for those man eating cheeseburgers

and that killer cacti