Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Acc-Risk posted:

I have a lot of trouble with posing, and will usually only get lucky with quantity. I'm anxious to hear what others do... Here's two that I think turned out well...

Click for larger...

I'll tell you what, you did a stellar job on that first pic minimizing her nose. I think the shardows are a bit harsh and that a secondary light about 1/2 power to the keylight to camera right about 45 would make it perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

psylent posted:

Any hints on shooting someone with almost no chin?

Shoot slightly above eye level, butterfly lighting, avoid profile and be careful with 3/4 shots.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Please, please, please work on your temperature adjustment.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

JaundiceDave posted:

I love this, but I wanted to see it in black and white, so I did a quick conversion in cs4.

Jesus Christ, you just made zombie grandma.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

McMadCow posted:

I posted this one in the Feb PAD thread. Shot this about 3 years back, but printed it for the first time last week.

All of your shots are really nice and your style is very distinct.

Cut/paste crosspost from the Photo-a-Day thread:

From a few hours ago, a friend of mine who is usually very apprehensive about having her picture taken. :) Pleased with how they came out, probably will xpost in the portrait thread. My hosting.

Kind of bummed her other eye is so out of focus, but oh well.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Looking at it now, the third is a little cold (she wanted a "clean" bed shot). The turquoise background was actually the paint on her wall which she really liked.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

You said this was done on the spot, what equipment did you use to light? I agree that you could've improved the shots with a dedicated background light and maybe a reflector to camera left, but if you only had a speedlite to work with then there's not much you can do.

fronkpies posted:

What time were you shooting? The light is pretty harsh on this - maybe next time you go out you can take a makeshift reflector deal and have her in the shade and just bounce the light in. The same comments as others - the glasses through the eyes, etc.

Few more from yesterday, buddy wanted a few shots so I went over and shot for about 20 minutes. Guy pretty much refused to smile!

The shadow on the right side of his face (our right) is a bit distracting.

I'll prob re-crop to not cut off his hand.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 8, 2010

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Have you guys... tried reading portraiture books? A lot of the more recent ones are pretty bad, almost as if it's not even really trying.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

Are you talking about portraiture books being bad, or the pics in here?

My mother got a weird haircut and asked me to photograph her, but it just made her look consistently like admiral ackbar so I gave up.

Some of the pics lately. I understand that you're not professionals and that it's a learning experience, but a lot of these have no composition and are really flat. I'm not saying that I'm great either, but please put some thought into your work guys!

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

These aren't prefect examples though, I'm sure they wouldn't pass muster for Oprah Haze - but I think with a little experimentation it's possible to get good results out of a two flash set up.

I actually think these are pretty well done for a two-strobe setup. The second is better imo. I've taken great portraits with using a single speedlite, it's just all about thinking about how you're going to shoot instead of just clicking away. You can get stellar results with a reflector if you're low on strobes (I personally have two and use a reflector, would like a third). The main gripe I have is that we're seeing portraits with bad posing/angles and in some we're just cutting people's faces off unintentionally.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

fronkpies posted:

take away the blemishes and there's not much left.

While we get what you mean, don't say that to her ever, hahah. "All you are photo-wise are... your pimples." It was a good attempt, next time make the lighting a little broader to get her right side also (move her since the light source seemed mostly stationary) to get a closer look to the second inspiration photo you posted.

Hop Pocket posted:

Nice shot. I also did some shooting today with the f/4. I really do like this lens.

Nice, would have been nice if you were able to bounce a reflector 45 degrees from her right but I'm pretty sure this was more of a candid.

Did an impromptu shoot for a friend yesterday - she needed full length swimsuit photos for her dance auditions so we did it the next day. Due to her availability we had to shoot at pretty much high noon with a cloudless sky. It took a while to find a suitable spot. I really need a larger reflector as I'm not 100% pleased with the uneven lighting on this - I rarely do full length, and when I do, I do it closer to the better hours so I use my current reflector for highlights - we shot this in the shade and had almost no light.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 11, 2010

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Ric posted:

Trying something new, comments welcome:

Keep this in landscape. If you're going to crop, crop out the negative space on the right as well.

Some pics from a short and quick session with a friend. Three images with three different syles.

I wish there was more space in the room so I could've moved the key light back a bit for a less detailed reflection. Too lazy to shop it out.

In retrospect, wish I had a black card to camera left for some definition but I think it works.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 27, 2010

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

McMadCow posted:

These all need a bit of work, but the things that pop out the most at me are:

#1:
-not a fan of the reflector in her singlasses like that.
-there's a hair in her mouth
-what's that thick black strand behind her head?
-you gave us a front-row seat to look at how her bra is popping off
-:argh:you cut her arm off at the elbow!:argh:

#2 is your best effort but:
-still don't like how her bra is fitting her
-there are marks on her waist that are either stretch marks or are marks from whatever she took off. Be aware of either instance. Either have her wear loose stuff to the shoot, or budget time for her to be out of whatever it is long enough before the shooting starts. If it's stretch marks, that's what Photoshop is for

#3:
-I think your AF hit her knee, not her face
-the lighting is completely flat in this shot
-we see the edge of your backdrop and it's very distracting

I crit because I love. :)

Thanks a lot for the crit, I know many people don't handle it well but you make valid points and I enjoy your work soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... yeah. Not much to say other than I need to shoot more often.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

AtomicManiac posted:

Lastly, What's the best way to use a reflector? I see a lot of talk on it, but no real advice on using one.

While I'm glad you're interested in portraits, these are actually pretty bad. The wrinkled bedsheet (as mentioned) is not a good look. You could put more distance between the bedsheet and the subject for a darker background (would work well with her light features) - that would help with the wrinkles also. If you really wanted white background and only had the sheet you could blast it with light.

The shadow of the girl on the sheet is also not good - it's very distracting. Again, separation and/or additional lighting will solve that.

For reflectors, it's pretty simple, just point where you want light. The difficulty is in distance and angle. Play around with them a bit and you'll see how you can make do with fewer lights.

I know this sounds discouraging but don't give up!

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm glad your work is improving because... quite frankly there was a lot of room to improve at first. Are you being compensated well by the mag?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

McMadCow posted:

<:mad:>

Don't you know that photogs should only use artificial light? CHRIST.

Order your Profoto Artificial Sun now!

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
I'm going to throw out some critique as I'm waiting for class to start. Hopefully it'll help!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

endurance network solutions by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Too much negative space on top. Don't worry about cutting into the frame behind him, it doesn't have any significant meaning to add to the photo and "tilts" the image pretty heavily anyway. There are a few distracting splotches of light on the left side of his face that could easily be healing brushed out. Consider also cloning out the buttonhole on his jacket.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

morphix by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

morphix by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

I may be reading too into this, but the placement of the two subjects, given their ethnicities and difference in expression make me think "outsourcing". If you had shot more at eye level and perhaps had them sort of near the same height in the image with similar expression it would be a better convey the feeling of a "team".

The second one is kind of goofy cool.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

townscapes by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

You can definitely crop from the top and bottom. This is essentially a portrait of the two and the empty space don't do the image any favors. You'll still see the large warehouses and grass, which keep the idea of landscaping and equipment relevant. If they are going to be dressed up, it may have been good to clean the mowers as well. Having the guy on the right in the direct sunlight is forcing an unflattering squint and make him seem "weaker" than the one on the right.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

work for dad by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Not much to say, perhaps heal the gleam on her upper gumline?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
I don't remember posting these but here are some of my teammates for a head-shave we did for cancer research. 10 minutes to shoot the four of us + group shot. It was fun but a little annoying to have so little time.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
On that picture underneath the pier, if your lens doesn't have a wide enough aperture to render the background OOF, use the background to your advantage. See how the legs of the pier could have been used to frame the family? Stick them under that.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Doo doo doo - some pics for a local fitness instructor. LOTS OF LIQUIFY.

A few more @ my blog.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

McMadCow posted:

Ack! Shots 1 and 3 have some piece of fabric sticking out of the bottom of her shorts. This is why you bring along an assistant. :(

As weird as it seems, the shorts are actually made that way. I was very confused.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
In business, the thing that matters is final product. If you're sending out your photos for PP in order to get that, it's simply a cost of doing business.

Business and pleasure aren't always the same if that makes sense.

I don't know how to do hover-over images on the forums but here is a link with a recent example (from a few posts up) - click

I wouldn't send her that first picture... there was a bit (not a whole lot) of PP to be done. If I didn't have the knowledge of how to do it or if I simply didn't have the time/motivation to do it myself I would have definitely contacted a retoucher to do the job. It's simply a choice of whether or not the PP work is something you are capable of doing or even want to do.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 1, 2011

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
I have found that the simplest and easiest thing to do is to give the model a list of references that are willing to talk to new models.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

AtomicManiac posted:

1) It's not a composite. I shot it at like f13, and I don't know if the sun from behind is making her pop out so hard or what. I guess Shallower depth of Field or maybe a not-so-busy background next time. I was hoping that pushing the light harder would get her to pop, which she does but not enough.

2) That's actually fairly close to her actual skin tone, she's incredibly pale. I've wanted to get some Gel's to mess with, but the local camera stores don't sell them and I've been lazy. Any recommendations? Also, should I add some kind of layer-mask to warm her skin up even if I came fairly close to her actual skin tone?

3)I have no idea how to get negative space right, to be honest it usually doesn't cross my mind when shooting, I'm more concerned with getting a good shot of the subject and I kind of get tunnel vision.

4) The hair effect is natural wind. It looks great, but I almost lost an umbrella from it.

1. We know it's not a composite, we're saying it looks very unnatural and not in a good way.

2. I don't know why you bothered writing this out, all you are confirming is that you're sloppy.

3. Learn to crop.

4. Sandbags.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Dorkroom: models are not real people.

:v:

I get what you mean though.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Ok, how did I do with this one?

Crop out the top/bottom. If you remove the brown part of the desk at bottom it makes the image have more of an impact. Same for cropping out the top. No one wants to look at blinds/blind pully things. Why were the blinds left open? Level the picture, it seems off by a degree or two. Why are the books there? Are they significant? If not, then why are they there? If only for a prop, you should have used a less prominent pair. The red is very distracting. If they are important, why can't you see what they are? It also took a while to see that she's holding glasses... you would assume a pen but there isn't one so it is kind of off-putting.

What does she do? Does she even work there? What is her position? The portrait says nothing about the person, which in some cases is fine... but I'm sure you're trying for more.

The light is nice and not as flat as the others though.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Cyberbob posted:

Ended up doing a shoot for my friends band.

I did it for free,

Super simple set up.

I think that it was worth it to add the first pic to your port. I would suggest that next time you take the time to move the lights for their shots, the last two it really shows that you kind of just stood them there. If you're gonna do it, have some fun with it!

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Shooting up into nostrils is unflattering for anyone, but especially so with those who have... bigger ones.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Dude, don't do that to your photos. If you want to achieve that "hipster film look" then look into split-toning, not just obliterating the overall temp. Subtlety works best.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

RizieN posted:

Yea you guys are right, I guess I should've been shooting at a higher F-Stop to avoid the blurry arm thing. Are you saying crop it out at that line that is coming straight up from her wrist, or the bigger black blur to the far left?

As far as loving up my colors with processing, I suck at editing photo's in post, and I'm currently experimenting around to see what different poo poo does and probably taking things too far. With Photography I can't decide on anything, I'm really indecisive— like should I leave the contrast at 0 or +3 or +15 or -5 or is there even that big of a difference between those and does it matter at all? Now add all the different loving sliders and techniques and I can't decide on a goddamn thing.

Guess its something I'll have to work out over time...

What do you process with? Perhaps making a few virtual copies and then doing a bit of something to each... give it a day or even a few hours and revisit.

It just takes time to develop your style.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I will now really think about whether or not the object makes sense to the subject. No more parking lots or shipyards. Thanks guys. What If I had overexposed the window and you couldn't see what was out of it?

Yeah... elements of a photo, one should try and make sure everything is in for a reason. I would crop a bit from the first there to crop out the speakers and next time close the blinds - the left side of the frame in both have light coming in that draws the eye from the focus (the woman).

Crosspost from PAD:

Three of the girlfriend today - the thing I'm happiest about is the fact that she's now getting comfortable in front of the camera (she's very self-conscious). I found that it helps to direct her 100% for now so she doesn't have to worry about how she looks. Straight OOC except for a bit of touch-up, WB and dodge/burn on the second.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

torgeaux posted:

All three are fine, the second one looks like you lost some detail in the highlights.

But, I quoted this one for a reason. This is a shot where I think you've shown how beautiful she can be, without tricks or dodges. This is the photo that should convince her to be more comfortable posing with you. Very nice job.

Thanks for the comments - do you mean the highlights on the ridge of the nose, cheeks, or chest? I did a bit of dodging on the nose to even out the exposure (leaf shadow I think) but may have overdone it.

Hopefully we'll be shooting a bit more often - she really likes these.

Paragon8 posted:

tighten your aperture to get both eyes in focus - the face positioning in the last one isn't flattering. It seems like it's close to dead on but that half her face is larger than the other half.

I have a few shots at a tighter aperture but those had horrible trees growing out of her head. We also liked the "lighter" aesthetic of the wider aperture. I didn't see what you meant by the face positioning but sort of see it now. I didn't want the chin to align too much with her neck and blend in but didn't want her face to be turned any further. What would you have recommended?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
I think the door is okay - the girl has enough variation/contrast to pull the eye. The spot in the top left really needs to go though.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

RangerScum posted:

I guess it depends on what type of work the MUA does but if it's beauty, I'd go with very soft lighting on the face with rim lights in the back. If you are shooting on location, try to find a background that compliments the model/makeup- think color/texture/pattern.

It depends what the MUA wants though... you can obviously be really dramatic with a head shot but if he/she just wants to show off the makeup, I'd keep the lighting straight in front and maybe angled down slightly. Make sure the eyes are exposed nicely and there isn't a shadow from the brow/nose. Also pay attention to the shadow under the chin- a very small one helps give it definition but a larger one can be distracting.

One thing that I have been doing a lot of is rough sketches of shots I would like. That way I am more focused and get more variety in the poses as I don't have to linger/wait for poses to hit me.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
It always helps to look at the catchlights for info.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
I have no idea how many people I'd kill for a digital MF camera, but I'd be good for at least one brutal slaying.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Depending on the style of the shoot - if it's more of a commercial/fashion type shoot I will draw out the poses I want beforehand and will *know* when it's captured.

For a lifestyle type portrait even though I'll know when I have the shot I'll keep going for an additional 5-10 minutes. Sometimes you'll be surprised by what comes up.

For formal/executive headshots it's pretty cut and dry.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Cyberbob posted:

You don't wanna know.. It was shot with a 70-200 f2.8 Sigma on a Nikon D60. Cheap and nasty but it does the trick until I can afford to upgrade.

I'm pretty sure this is a sterling example of how gear doesn't mean poo poo when talent is there.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Here's another corporate shot, boring, but I like it.

Do you ever apply sharpening to your photos? It's hard to tell if you leave them as is or if it's more subtle.

Were you slightly above the subject in the first photo? It looks as if you're slightly off horizon and he's leaning back a bit unnaturally to compensate. I would probably clone out the reflection on the table and the outlet on the left side.

The second has a bit of a sliced head effect, which I usually don't care that much about but since it's such a tight composition it is a bit more pronounced.

I would consider adding a reflector camera left to give some fill.

These are all opinions though so feel free to ignore certain parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Probably will cross-post this to PAD once I am awake enough to form critiques.

Taken a few hours ago - if you click on this link it'll take you to a blog entry with six images where you can view the SOOC images as well. :)

I realize I hosed up the exposure on the last one, which is why her skin tone is off.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 9, 2011