Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
poop, that red dress looks completley see-through. Was that intentional?

I'm still an amateur and my portraiture doesn't extend beyond harassing my wife/friends to pose for me if they happen to be around when I've got my camera out.

From the reading I've done the "happy place" for portraits is in the 85-100mm range, is that pretty much standard? I posted a similar one to the one below a while ago and was told the angle was all wrong and it made her head look enormous. I was sorting through the wedding photos and came across this one, did a bit of post on it and was pretty happy with the result, even if it was only shot at 28mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

GestureSignalThreat posted:

I would love to take protraits of random people I see that I think look interesting and/or are dressed well - how is it possible to be able to do such a thing with out coming over all :pervert:?
1. Be female.
2. Have a girl tag along with you.
3. If you can't do 1 or 2, I'd say having a card you can hand them where they can find the photo would be the next best thing. These days everyone wants a good photo for their facebook/myspace profile so I think people are more willing to have their photo taken if they can get their hands on the results.

psylent fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 15, 2009

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Thanks for this, I've been devouring reading material on photography techniques recently and I definitely want to improve my portraiture.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm a complete hobbyist/amateur, but I've got to the point where I can't look at any advertising material without wondering exactly how the lights were set up for that particular shoot. Am I alone in this?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
My favourite part is the arms/hands holding the flowers.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Whitezombi posted:

You want people? People are my favorite thing to shoot and I do not do it enough.

How did you get the perfectly black background here?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Ahh, I ask because I was asked to do some corporate headshots at work, and aside from a huge sheet of black paper I got from a photo studio and my 420ex, bouncing off a wall - I really didn't have much of a set up and I didn't really know what I was doing. My background came out dark grey and I've had to photoshop to get it properly black.

I really need to learn more about lighting :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
MrButterpants: where can I learn more of what you just said?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Isn't a successful/good portrait just one that manages to capture a part of the subject's personality? This can be achieved in many different ways so I don't really know what everyone's so worried about.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Has he seen Amelie?

edit: I'd like to see the finished work either way.

psylent fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 17, 2009

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

MrButterpants posted:

Keeping your shutter speed at max flash sync (most likely 1/250 sec) to knock down the ambient....shooting at a 'normal' portrait f/ stop (8-16 depending on lighting) and subject distance from background are the most important things in turning a background black. Because of the inverse square rule with light, the subject distance to background yeilds the most effective results. Keep your flash to subject distance the same if you like the exposure and walk them both 10' from your backdrop....amazing difference...no more grey
Thanks a million. Just got back from my shoot, turned the lights off (there was still dull ambient light from the window), set my shutter to 1/250, f/stop to 8, set my background far back from the subject - everything came out exactly as I needed it to.

I love this place :love: I'm picking up a couple of the books you mentioned too.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I took these of my wife ages ago, forgot about them and then found them just now. Afternoon sun streaming in through a window and bouncing off a big white wall.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

Unnatural expressions work against 1 (cheese) and 3 (sad panda). You're losing quite a bit of face detail on 2, but I like it otherwise.
Might have been your intention, but you may want to pay attention to your level relative to the subject, and to what you're cropping.

torgeaux posted:

The first smile seems like a camera smile. Middle is more natural, but I like the third the best, but it seems a bit underlit compared to the others. When I find older photos, the first thing I think about is how I would have done it differently. Did you go thru that?
Thanks guys, I've just realised that I've never actually got her to sit down and do a serious portrait session. These were taken at the end of a day spent wandering around London and were just hanging out in our room. I chopped the top of her head off on purpose, but I'm not sure why now.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm a sucker for girls in 1950s/60s fashion so I'm loving those shots nonanone, especially the first one.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

jackpot posted:

Need a link or two (or if anyone feels like just writing out some tips, feel free!) on basic portrait shooting if anybody's got any. Body positioning, hand placement, lighting - basic stuff, because I don't really know anything. I'm figuring to use my 100/2.8 and a 50/1.4 (and I'll have a 17-50 if I need it), and I've got two flashes and one cactus trigger.
I think it was linked earlier in the thread but. this should help a bit, it's old but the information is pretty timeless:
http://jzportraits.home.att.net/chapter-01.html

This might help too: http://www.prophotolife.com/2008/09/01/video-episode-27-outdoor-portraits-3/

psylent fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 21, 2009

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Any hints on shooting someone with almost no chin?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
That is the best baby I've ever seen.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Took this one a Roller Derby girl a while ago and people keep saying they like it. Late afternoon, but taken in the shade of a building before the match.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've wanted to do something like this for a while, but I'm lacking the balls.

http://photojojo.com/content/photo-projects/how-to-shoot-street-portraits/

VVVV: pretty much just for the experience of having done it. Sure it's been done by lots of people before, but I haven't done it. Yet.

psylent fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 22, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Natural light from our balcony, I'll be pulling out the reflector next time I do this.
repost from SAD

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
That is some impressive facial hair.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Yeah, the original in colour was a lot niceer.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Whitezombi posted:

Harold has an awesome backpack. I purchased a Dakine backpack in 2002 and have travelled with it all over the world with it and used it almost every day since then and it's still going strong.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
They seem a tiny bit under-exposed to me. There's a big reflection on her right glass lens, but not on the left. The whole left hand side seems a bit dark - maybe it's just my monitor...

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Agreed, that last shot is fantastic. Was it all natural lighting?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
When doing full length shots of people, I have this really terrible habit of cutting off their ankles. I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with me.

Am I alone here?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Took a couple of shots of my wife while we were in Fiji with my new 85mm f/1.8. I love this lens.

I've just had my lighting stuff arrive, I can't wait to use it to attempt get started on learning proper off camera portraiture lighting.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is there any way to reduce the shinyness? Is it just the makeup she's using combined with the light? I've noticed that it's even more obvious under strobes.

She likes being my model, but isn't completely comfortable in front of the camera and doesn't know how to pose.

edit: in these shots it's just late afternoon sun, but it was pretty warm so it could have been a bit of perspiration adding to the shiny factor.

psylent fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 5, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What's the best way to remove shine spots/reduce redness?

I mainly use Lightroom, and whenever I try playing with the reds it just makes things look a bit weird.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm still a beginner with off-camera lighting and posing people, but it looks like you've done a decent job under the circumstances. I think the shot of the girl in blue is the strongest of the lot. I like her pose/expression and while the lighting isn't anything dramatic, it shows off the hair and make-up pretty well. And considering your friend was aware that you weren't an expert portrait photographer, she should be happy with the results :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I really can't tell if you're being serious or not any more.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Oh Reichstag ;-*

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Gorgeous lighting there, is that from a window?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

We've got white walls in my house, so I aimed a 420EX at full power behind and a 580EX II at 1/2 power with Fong Diffuser to camera left.

I just got some cheapo ebay radio triggers and was playing around. Didn't realise that I can mount the flash with a radio trigger on umbrella. Are there any clamp/adapters I can use to get around this?

The radio trigger screws straight onto the top of the light stand :/

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
We got some freckles up in here.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
This is one of my first attempts at skin smoothing, too much? Does anyone have a link to a tutorial for a good one?

My poor wife worked an 11 hour day and was just about to head to bed when I asked her to pose for me. As you can probably tell, she's tired as hell in this shot.

Flash on a stand bouncing off the wall behind me.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What was your lighting setup?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Gaz: I remember seeing that guide but couldn't remember which bloody thread it was in. Thanks! I'll do a re-edit tonight and try it out :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Gazmachine posted:

p.s. - I like wrestling and I don't care if you know.

Dominator1 by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr
This is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've got two portrait shoots on Sunday, one is with a wedding planner and the other is with a local indie rock musician. I've got a nice park across the road from my place that I'll be using for both shoots. As luck would have it, the Moscow Circus is in the park for the next week or so.

Wedding planner gets nice sunset/rolling hills as her background.
Indie rock dude gets the circus in the evening.

I'm hoping not to gently caress either of them up.