Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Guys come baaaaaaaaack I made you all these craaaaaaaaanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Speaking of backdrops what do people use? I bought a medium gray muslin and a stand for it. It was wrinkly as poo poo and I read you can't iron them so I got the cheapest steam cleaner Target had and steamed it out. It's pretty good now. I never managed to find any official wisdom regarding muslins. Is what I did a normal thing?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Drop Database, in 2805 and 2804 where you did an outdoor tight crop headshot there's not enough separation between the foreground and background in your shots so the backgrounds end up being really distracting. It's like oh, there's some girl and... stairs? Having a smaller DoF or a light on the model would have helped. Also, I'm not really digging the posing. What is she looking at in 2805?

2881 is the best shot but the light is sort of... flat. And it's sort of awkward that she's in the center of a square crop with that pose she has. The pose suggests placing her toward the left and the bottom of the frame. Besides that square crops are sort of awkward for portraiture because people's proportions are more 3:2 than 1:1. I feel like you should photoshop her out of 2881 and put her in the bottom left of a 3:2 photo with a huge negative space (big blue sky or something) filling the middle/top/right.

2804 has a similar issue with placement. The way she's posed she'd be more at home toward the top right so that she'd be looking at negative space in the bottom left.

But then again what the hell do I know.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Drop Database posted:

:doh: I didn't think this through enough, but you're right of course. The stairs made sense to me because I had processed a few photos (full-body ones) in a row with them, but I can see how it's confusing when you're only looking at one photo..
For completeness:

I actually asked her to look away slightly on purpose. I had something in mind about deliberately not engaging the viewer, and tried to process/retouch the photo to communicate this message. I'm guessing it doesn't work too well :)

I.. I don't know why I didn't see that until you pointed it out. It seems so obvious in retrospect...

I've re-cropped the photo. Better?

IMG_2881-Edit.jpg by ArtisticPretensions, on Flickr

Same reasoning as 2805. Am I dead wrong on this? I get that when a picture communicates movement (even of gaze) there should be space for the viewer to move into, but I find something compelling about not being able to follow it as well..

But then again what the hell do I know :)

I did it for effect in one of them - 2961! I even cropped slightly closer to her face to get a bit more creepiness factor. But not in the other one..
Both shots were taken at 50/55mm (crop sensor). What would be a better or more flattering length/distance for a shot like that, in your opinion?

Thanks for the quick and helpful feedback, I really appreciate it!

I like those first two stairs pictures probably the best out of anything you posted. Face is a little dark in the one where she's looking down, maybe you could dodge it a bit. The crop of 2881 works better for me. And on negative space, it's a personal decision what to do with negative space and there are no right or wrong answers but it's not working for me in 2804. I think it's something about the setting and the dress... there's nothing discordant about a floral print dress in the middle of the day. I guess what I'm saying is that the setting, the dress, and even her smile don't really work with the ideas of awkwardness and uncomfortableness that off camera looks and unbalanced negative space create. It ends up looking like an outtake or something, as if you grabbed a test frame while the model's attention was diverted. So to me it looks more like a mistake but such is the danger of breaking the "rules".

RangerScum posted:

Thanks and good points. I will see about evening up the lighting on the face later.

I had 3 B800s, two were behind the model lighting the backdrop and I had one out front in a softbox. I wish I had something to isolate the back lights to the background only but with my budget and time constraints that wasn't really something I could do- the studio didn't have anything on hand for that.

I think you could've gone with on-axis lighting for your key rather than camera left. Or, if you weren't committed to using two lights on the backdrop, you could've tried to light the backdrop on-axis and freed up a second light for fill. Above the backdrop and pointed straight down could have worked. You could also have tried to put the backdrop light on the floor behind him since the shots you showed were all upper body.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Try some starch. It tends to hang in the air a bit and if you light it from behind the backscatter will obscure stuff a bit. Try both a pressurized can of spray starch and a non-pressurized one, I'm not sure which works better.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

deaders posted:

Totally agree that that photo would be way stronger with her dead center, as is it's a bit awkward.

The motion of the hood is moving camera right. Photo would be more balanced with her placed further camera left.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I feel like the lights were a bit hot.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

That rocks

I tried and tried to take a good self portrait for a FB profile pic, but, turns out, I'm ugly and I dress funny. Will eventually get over it and stop imitating Bertillon.

is this in profile because pun?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

pootiebigwang posted:

I never have a clue when it comes to portraits, but here's Karl.

Karl by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Also how do people handle taking photos of everyday people that they don't really know? For example, I don't really know Karl, I thought he looked interesting, asked if I could take his photo, and did. I feel like where I suffer with portraits is with direction, and not having a clue as to what to say when people inevitably ask "What should I do?" to which I always make the cringeworthy response, "Just stand there and look into the lens." I'd like to get into taking more portraits, not necessarily editorial/fashion, so nothing with particularly heavy posing, but I would love a response to give besides "Stand there and look into the lens."

Having seen the photo you made of Karl would you tell Karl to do something different now?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

hi liter posted:

otherwise boring

This but also, what is going on with his sweater? Why is half of the collar tucked into the front? Is that intentional? If not, you should haven given your portrait subject a heads up that his sweater was all jacked up.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Can I get some feedback on which you like better? (Assuming you like one or the other!) I'm torn on the post processing and the pic themselves.

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

In the second one I like that her necklace pops out as the focal point and I like it's more contrasty, which draws the focus to her really well. But in the first one the overall composition is stronger. In the second the model's leg looks too big and so does the chair, which throws things off a bit. Was this shot with a wide angle?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
this whole page is pretty =/

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

1st AD posted:

No smoothing/sharpening, and no clarity or fill.

edit: :doh: I had some masks that I forgot to reset from my first version.
DSC_9549 by chazaraz, on Flickr

still some green in the mids, you can see it in his neckbeard, around his eye sockets, and in the shadow gradient on his forehead

might be better if you desaturate green a bit

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pukestain Pal posted:

I guess this is a portrait.

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Sorry, it's street

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
fwiw, starch (the kind used for ironing that comes in spray bottles) hangs in the air better than misted water

Those shots you linked with the reflective umbrella are more about the subject distance being close and a big light source than the quality of reflected umbrella light versus shoot thru umbrella light. A reflected umbrella, even a partially collapsed one, likely will not restrict the light as much as you might hope. It sounds like you have a softbox or a plan to make one, use that if you want controlled light that doesn't spill all over the environment.

It seems like the typical thing for a portrait of a tough athlete is Rembrandt (or just a key) for the face and torso with gridded or even unmodified rim lights at side-back.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

RangerScum posted:

i wish you had taken another picture of the scene with out the chair there, and edited it out so it looked like she was floating... sorry i have brooke's work on my mind lately, she's really brilliant!!!

what if he took a second picture of her outstretched arms and photoshopped them in as the seat she's sitting on?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

MrBlandAverage posted:

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

He's right, dude. You converted the overly warm, saturated sun beam lens flares into pale yellow beams of horse piss.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

8th-snype posted:

Time to recalibrate your monitor man because MBA'd edit is loads better color wise, pity he couldn't do anything about the rest of the image.

this might be one of those the dress is blue no it's yellow things because now that I look at it with daylight in the room MrBlandAverage's edit looks ok

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

you turned his hair red

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

owns

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
What kind of white material do you baby photographers use. I have tried paper and muslin and they both suck.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah get rid of the hair light and balance the key light to be at or just above the room lights. The room being like 2 or 3 stops below the subject isn't doing that photo any favors.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Did some family pictures for a friend. If there's anything about this portrait particularly heinous let me know. I just started portraits and I'm trying to move from amateur to intermediate.

She's kissing the kid with her head tilted, from below, and with eyes apparently closed. Not only is that more romantic than playful, neither her face not her profile are visible and the part in her hair is featured largely which is not really desirable.

Not loving the unbalanced vertical crop, tight framing, or vignette either but those are more a matter of taste.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Thanks for the feedback on this. You've convinced me that my main focus for now should be on studying posing. Any recommendations on a good book or website that gives more than "Don't make these 10 stupid posing mistakes"?

peep the OP of this thread:

ConfusedUs posted:

Portrait photography is everywhere. Our lives usually revolve around other people, so it's no wonder that nearly everyone who picks up a camera will snap a photo of someone else.

And that person will probably hate the photo when they see it. It's a fact. At one time I had a newspaper clipping with statistics that claimed the vast majority of people hated to have their photo taken. A surprising number would rather visit the dentist than be a part of a family portrait.

We portrait photographers have our work cut out for us. Making other people look good isn't easy. Our subjects are fat, have skin problems, and probably don't even want to be here. Unlike still life photographers, we can't go shopping for that perfect apple, and unlike landscape photographers, we can't drive around the mountains until we find that perfect vista. We have to work with what we've got.

That's where this thread comes in. Portrait photographers, rejoice, for here is a repository of knowledge for you. This is a place where you can ask "how can I make this 300lb woman look good", and a place where your peers will give you pointers on how to improve.

Over my years as a portrait photographer, I've picked up a ton of tips and tricks on how to make portraits easier and look better. I'll be posting those as I finish writing them. I am working on posing right now, but feel free to suggest topics or to ask me anything about portrait photography at all.

Here's a few of my portraits just to kickstart things.

:siren:The Only Posing Guide You Will EVER Need:siren:
The clothing recommendations are a bit dated (the guy was in his prime in the 70s) but this guide is comprehensive, well-explained, and far, far, far better than anything I have been able to write so far.

Thanks to Kazy for re-hosting the guide, it went down at some point and I didnt' know!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Helen Highwater posted:

Was one of your friends a blue gel filter?

yes. thetzar blue gelled everything except the subject

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dakana posted:

on that second one? word. I agree. I liked this light better, but the facial expression was pretty much identical to the one with the straight-behind rim

On all of the studio headshots. In the first one it looks like some kind of bad photoshop artifact around where you cut his head out and comped in a background. Like you originally shot it on white.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

MrBlandAverage posted:

I call it "Commentary On The Male Gaze."

Is it available on Amazon subscribe and save?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
David Hobby felt a chill. It could only mean one thing. Somewhere on the Internet someone was wrong about off camera flash. He called Zack Arias. Zack had felt it too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

8th-snype posted:

Joe McNally slides down a pole and he doesn't know why

There's a shipment with a D500, some SB-5000s, and some SB-920s at the bottom of the pole. A note is attached: "make us look good, Joe"

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
and I would take five-hundred-photos and I would take five-hundred more just to be the man who took a thousand photos each one an eyesore

Dren fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 26, 2016

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Helen Highwater posted:

I feel it's missing something though and I'm stuck trying to figure out if it actually does look like a cool effect or just like I pushed all the sliders to the right and said gently caress it.

Chloe-38.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

what it is missing is the right hand side of the histogram

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Helen Highwater posted:

I shot it 1.5 EV over exposed to try for a high key effect. The model is super pale anyway so her skin just vanishes under studio light against any light background and I wanted to try to capitalise on that.

This sums things up. http://www.diyphotography.net/high-key-low-key-or-just-badly-exposed/

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sneeze Party posted:

These are high school senior photos. We did them at a Southern California beach, where it was totally overcast. At first I wasn't sure about the lighting. But it turned out pretty good. It was like having a soft box in the sky. She's happy with how they turned out, which makes me happy with how they turned out.

Jordana by Sneeze Party, on Flickr

The colors are cranked up in all of them. The darks are probably too dark since all the detail in her clothes is gone. In addition to that #1 is blurry because of camera shake (try to keep shutter speed faster than 1/focal length and keep yourself steady when you shoot) and #1 and #2 have blown highlights. Also each shot has a different cheesy processing effect which I guess is fine but I think it triggered 8th-samurai.

I don't like that the white balance and skin tones are inconsistent from shot to shot but I guess that's fine if it's what you want.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dakana posted:

very fair point. how about this one

_KPH3293-Edit by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Did you apply a tilt shift effect to this? The way the focus is makes it look kinda like she's a miniature figure. Same thing is true for the b&w stairs shot.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

expose for the subject's face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ReverendHammer posted:

Yeah, that is one thing I could have done better. Mostly by cranking up the power on the strobe I was using. That's something I need to get better at. There was something about how it wasn't fully exposed that I kinda liked (and the cosplayer was super happy with the pic). But that's more of a taste thing and I can see why some people wouldn't like it.

The way it’s exposed there’s a tremendous focus on the sunset to the exclusion of the cosplayer. At first glance I see a sunset and a silhouette, not a portrait showcasing a costume and makeup.