Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I really like the location in the first one, and love how the horizon and waterline are coming together at the right, but the model looks weird to me, like she's been composited in. She doesn't seem to be casting a shadow and her feet have weird lighting and look oversharpened. I'm pretty keen on your colour palette, though.

The second one is pretty cool, although I can't decide whether I'd like it better with less sky or not. My only niggle is that her skin tone seems too purple. I like the dress and the whole dancing on the sand idea - do you have any other shots like the second with a more active pose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

bisticles posted:

Then yesterday, we visited three local bars with a van full of models and hair/makeup artists to get shots for a beer club. There are worse ways to spend a Sunday.

I like the pictures, but those don't look much like beers to me. :colbert:

\/\/\/ Much better. Let me guess, a nice blonde?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 27, 2012

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Just saw this, a shoot with some very "flattering" portraits. SFW, despite the URL.

EDIT: Found a better link.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

RangerScum posted:

Shot some promo photos over the weekend. It was a fun style to work in, though the space that I had to shoot them in was loving terrible. Background needs a bit more work for one spot on one of the photos at least, but I'm sure there are other areas that I haven't noticed yet.

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

The first one here looks the best overall IMO. The edges of her arms look weird in the second one, maybe you brushed over them while touching up the background? The third is kinda ruined for me by the unlit cigarette. I feel like with this kind of look you're skirting the edge of campy parody at the best of times, and something obvious like that completely breaks the suspension of disbelief for me. The fourth is hilarious and his expression is perfect, great job. Final slight nitpick; in the second and fourth pictures their left cheeks both have a slight glow where I guess the backdrop was a bit brightly lit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
In that case, nicely done!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sw1gger posted:

A new one:

The top two thirds of this is great, but the right leg (from our PoV) looks pretty strange and her feet seem really huge to me. Did you comp them in from elsewhere?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Anyone with a Canon D-SLR can take a portrait...

e: is there a male equivalent to portraits like these? Sometimes the huge preponderance of pictures of pretty girls in attractive but unnatural poses gets a bit much for me and starts to seem really weird. I want to reshoot that portrait guide frame for frame with a man doing the same poses and expressions and see if anyone is able to take it seriously.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 4, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I understand that this particular guide is unusually bad, but beautiful woman in unnatural pose with no context is a pretty well represented archetype even in this very thread!

That's not to say it's always a bad thing, I've just been thinking recently how few similarly arranged photos of men appear and how strange some popular poses actually are if you stop to consider them at all.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

nonanone posted:

Here's pretty much what you're looking for (I love this series) http://www.flickr.com/photos/clickandclash/sets/72157626584908000/

That's a pretty great series and it demonstrates more or less exactly what I meant, thanks.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Where were these taken?

geeves posted:

A couple of shots from a session with my friend a couple of weeks ago.

Untitled by geeves, on Flickr

Untitled by geeves, on Flickr
I don't think the view of her nostrils in the first picture is very flattering and I'm not that keen on the super blown out background causing her forehead to go hazy. The second one is pretty solid though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Whitezombi posted:

At the Celtic Games in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It was held at the Balloon Fiesta Park.
Haha, I knew that despite all the classic British cars it couldn't be anywhere in the UK because of all the flags. Here flags are only flown at football matches, on government buildings, or by racists. :britain:

Some nice car pics, though. I also like this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/natebol/8751584031/

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Couple of pictures of people I've scanned recently. Really wish the dandelion in the second one didn't blend into the wind turbines so much, such is life.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sludge Tank posted:

This is such a nice picture to look at. What did you use for this?
Thanks! It's 120 Tri-X 400 pushed one stop. I started the roll on another day when it was much darker; EI800 was really unnecessary for a bright day in the mountains so this was shot at your typical portrait settings of f/22 1/1000s on an 80/2.8.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was pretty bored waiting in an airport the other day so I thought I'd take some pictures of other people bored waiting in an airport. Now I can see things I'd like to have done better in all of these but I quite like the idea and I'll hopefully give it another shot some time.

Not sure what caused the fog in two of them, not had that happen before. All Kodak Tri-X 400 at EI800 shot on my Pentacon Six TL.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Reichstag posted:

That's how a lot of my tri-x negs look straight out of the scanner.

aliencowboy posted:

Mine definitely come out darker than that metered at box speed, but it also might be the freeware scan software that I stubbornly insist on using over Vuescan.
They were even flatter straight out of the scanner, I adjusted the curves to get slightly blacker blacks but I felt like the somewhat overexposed look suited an airport waiting lounge pretty well otherwise.

MrBlandAverage posted:

HP5+ is way better than Tri-X anyway.

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr
This is cool.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Huxley posted:

First attempt at a proper headshot on my new camera and lens.

Kim 1 by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Kim 2 by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Kim 3 by mattphilpott, on Flickr

I was shooting wide open and I'm learning there's never really any reason to do that. It just leaves too much out without really adding anything. I'm also not sure on the pose. It seem pretty standard, but I'm trying to be careful. I'm afraid it can be really easy to let a person's most prominent facial feature dominate a picture in a way you don't intend, and I'm trying to avoid that.
As well as the high angle, there's haloing around her face and cardigan in all three pictures, I think you might have pushed a slider too far right. They also look a bit yellow to me.

step aside posted:

Crossposting from PAD:

So I've just been experimenting for the last few months and I decided to try out baby's first lighting setup. One cheap light shoot-through umbrella, one reflector, and a few friends that were willing to humor me. I enjoy playing around with gender expression and this ideally is going to be part of series of photos where I have women (and possibly men) doing things that violate gender norms.

Please rip them apart so I know what to do better next time!

IMG_2314 by step_aside, on Flickr

I think I should have cooled down the colors a good amount, but I didn't want to lose the vibrancy of her hair, and I felt that keeping that while toning down the rest would have looked unnatural. That belt should be white, for reference.

IMG_2163 by step_aside, on Flickr

Probably should have moved the reflector both up and closer to catch more of her face and the inside of her jacket so it's less of a dark mass.

IMG_2188 by step_aside, on Flickr

Mimicking the Jay Z portrait on the cover of this month's issue of Vanity Fair. Wooden beam in the background is casting an awkward shadow behind her head.
All look pretty underexposed, and the lighting on the left and right sides is uneven - I don't think that's intentional? I'd have taken down the distracting dart board in the first photo, and tried to get more separation from the background in the last one. The hand positioning in the last picture seems somewhat awkward to me, but I'm bad at posing people. I think with better lighting the second one could be good.

e: Also in the first one it would have been better not to cut off the lower hand.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 14, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Musket posted:

After Leg Day.
Is that a young Rowan Atkinson? Maybe a deleted scene from the Blackadder Goes Forth Christmas episode?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I dunno I took portraits I guess.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks! Another one of her that I quite like:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Been reading that article and looking up her work, really cool stuff. Thanks.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Duckjob posted:

Did a quick shoot with my triplet nieces

Teamwork by capacity4action, on Flickr
This is super adorable. But is that a 400/2.8 they're wielding? :eyepop:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What were these for again?

Why kind of mood were you going for because the lighting is just putting me off in a weird kind of way.

I think maybe it's the harsh light with shadows under the eyes, and somehow the catchlights give them a sort of glassy look. I think it looks pretty cool, but it's definitely more triumphant movie villain than happy graduate.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Picked up a camera for the first time in months over Christmas.

I'm way out of practice with my P6, so many shots where I've just missed focus. :(
Nobody will notice on Facebook, but I do and it hurts me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TomR posted:

I like your photos big scary monsters. They are honest and playful.
Hey, thank you! I hadn't thought about it in those terms before but that's actually a really good description of what I normally try for when I'm taking pictures of people.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Keep at it. I like them all, especially the first two.
Thanks, I have a whole bunch of films to develop but I haven't got round to ordering a new C-41 kit yet. It was nice to be out taking pictures again after a fairly long time off so I'm excited to see how they turn out.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tsimp posted:

FINAL-0411 by Tyler M. Simpson, on Flickr
A person I met at the park.

I feel like this one has potential but like deaders says if could do with a bit more care in composition and exposure. I'm a fan of those spectacle shadows though and I'm going to try and do the same thing some time.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Put me down for one of the limited editions prints of your photo of his print.

e: of your photo

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mrenda posted:

This recent thread has made me realise I quite like my some of my photos and critique would be nice.

Post some pictures then.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Does this work? I'm not sure, there are a few aspects I'm pretty unhappy with but I'd like your thoughts.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

dakana posted:

I don't think so. Might be Flickr's nonsense or something.

100% crops:

With these crops they look like a Specsavers advert.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Spedman posted:

I'm not an OCD type person at all, but those glasses are driving me nuts just by looking at them, let alone having to wear them.
Those glasses own and I want a pair.

e: I found another picture of the dude wearing similar ones but with the shapes reversed, I think he must make them himself.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 24, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have a script set up that applies a VSCO Portra preset and vignetting to every picture posted in this thread, then prints them out on glossy photo paper straight into the hopper of my shredder.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

MrBlandAverage posted:

I call it "Commentary On The Male Gaze."

lmbo

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Slappers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Not your fault I guess, but those fake eyelashes are super bad. Actually her makeup in general looks weird to me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Really good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Did you touch up her eyes/eyebrows in the first one, because they look a bit weird and smudgy. I think the wider shot is better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
e; wrong thread