Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

You may not have any since this was just a meetup group that hired a random model, but any thoughts on photographing latex?

In my experience, you should keep a couple of cans of silicon spray on hand to keep the glossy look - it also helps to stop the latex from sticking to everything it touches as well as making it easier to wipe off anything that does stick. Beyond that, it's a highly reflective surface so either accentuate that or mitigate it with your lighting solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Was one of your friends a blue gel filter?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Some cheesecake shots for a friend

Anastasia 18 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Anastasia 17 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

A lot of the photos I took in that session came out very soft and I didn't notice it in the previews until I started processing them. I must have disengaged the autofocus at some point without noticing.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

MadlabsRobot posted:

Looking at the EXIF it looks like you shot them with fully open aperture (2.8) at fairly slow shutter speed (1/15). Did you use a tripod, otherwise the softness it might be a combination of shooting the lens fully open and camera shake?

No it was all handheld as I was scrambling around on my knees getting angles while she posed. There wasn't a lot of time for the shoot so I set the lights up and we just ran through some locations in my apartment.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have pretty steady hands, I can shoot unsupported up to about 1/2s normally without problems. I was shooting at +2EV which meant that the previews were very bright, which is why I didn't notice the softness from a quick look at the back screen during the shoot. I should probably have knocked it down to 0 or +1 and a faster aperture.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Yeah you won't notice anything at ISO 400 and even 800 will be hard to tell. I never shot with a 70D but I bet even 1600 will be barely noticeable. I had a 50D and I was always fine going up to 1600.

At least do that until you can get off camera lighting.

There is off-camera lighting in those shots. A remote flash through an umbrella from above and the front, and a ring light off a reflector on the other side. I'm not using built-in flash or hot-shoe lighting on any of those shots. But ok, I don't generally consider 1/15 to be super slow. Sounds like I should.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Paragon8 posted:

Generally the rule of thumb I've found is to shoot faster than 1/focal length on full frame to avoid camera shake.

Also are we calling pictures with women in them cheesecake now? I can dig that.

Not all pictures with women but I think, pretty young girl in lingerie with a sexy but not an explicitly sexual pose kind of counts as cheesecake.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I took some more shots of Anastasia. Still wide open and overexposed but a faster shutter this time.

Anastasia 37 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
^^ Thanks! here's another, 1/100 this time, same lighting setup.

Anastasia 23 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
In the first two (not so much with the whole family portrait) the subjects look super-awkward. The first one is especially bad for that - the guy looks nervous and he's fiddling with his glasses which makes the whole shot look forced and tense.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Kakhaber Tsiskaridze

Kiev 88, Arsat 80mm f2.8. After show meet&greet.

img306.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Unposed shots of people taken with Soviet film cameras.

Bored by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Zenit-14.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Time out by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Friends by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

maxmars posted:

Yes I agree that she should have the same make up applied to the arms / hands for a more uniform look. I wanted a clown-ish appearance (the clothing, the make up and the rest). As for being too try-hard for a weird concept.. I respect that opinion but that's what I wanted to shoot and it will continue with the next shootings.

What's clownish about her clothing? Apart from the bowler hat and a tiny bow-tie, she's dressed fairly casually. The cello and the rape flowers completely overpower her in that scene. In fact the main point of contrast where your eye is naturally drawn is basically her crotch because there's a bunch of clashing colours with the flowers, her trousers and the cello in that space. Her face is well out of the main focal area and your eye is not really led there by anything.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I like the first one but the framing on the last two seems weird. Cutting off her boots at the ankles looks strange. If that's not a crop, I'd be tempted to crop it at knee level so that you get the feeling of movement but without it looking like you were just standing a bit too close to fit her in the frame.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
My company wanted me to do some portraits of the staff so I persuaded them to pony up for dev costs for medium format black and white. These are from the test roll.

000012.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

000011.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I did a shoot with a local alt-model in my apartment. Unfortunately the light sucked - my nice strobes are in storage, so I only had ambient light from my chandelier and a speedlight firing through a softbox. I'm not at all happy with the results but I got a few keepers. The nicest ones came from my medium format camera, which surprised me as I only had slow film available and the max sync speed is 1/30 so the flash was more-or-less useless.

Medium Format (on Portra 160)

untitled-48.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

On Ilford 400

untitled-26.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-18.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Digital

untitled-54.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-103.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-39.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Why did you do a shoot with your gear in storage? Not being lovely just curious.

The opportunity came up. She is a local hobby model who is happy to do TFP work so it didn't cost anything except an few hours of my evening. I underestimated the amount of ambient light in my apartment too. My last apartment had a ridiculous amount of light available and it was easily possible to do properly lit shoots with just ambient light and some off-axis fills. This one is light enough but it's far less diffuse than in my last place - the main light in my living room is a single 25 bulb chandelier whereas in my old place there were something like 70 recessed bulbs spread across the living room ceiling. I don't know when I'm going to get my stuff back and I wanted to give it a go. I'll probably just buy some cheap lamps and modifiers to tide me over.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Medium format portraits of my colleagues.

Work portraits-11 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Work portraits-12 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Work portraits-21 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I was asked to do a boudoir shoot for a friend of a friend. The problem is that this FOAF is in her fifties and is simultaneously very conscious of her aging and has a very unrealistic self-image. She wanted something to make her feel sexy so I decided that the best way to handle it was to do it as a black and white shoot with a lot of deep shadows to give me cover for airbrushing out loose skin and other unavoidable effects of getting older.

Some of the shots are nsfw (none of them show full nudity but there are visible nipples on some).

This one was my favourite and the only one I didn't convert to monochrome.

ELA37.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I did a shoot with a local hobby model in my apartment last night.

Chloe-40.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Chloe-123.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

This one I'm torn on. I really like the way that her skin disappears and all you see is some splashes of colour (she is super pale, even compared to me). I didn't touch vibrancy or saturation at all just hosed about with curves a bit to boost contrast. I feel it's missing something though and I'm stuck trying to figure out if it actually does look like a cool effect or just like I pushed all the sliders to the right and said gently caress it.

Chloe-38.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I shot it 1.5 EV over exposed to try for a high key effect. The model is super pale anyway so her skin just vanishes under studio light against any light background and I wanted to try to capitalise on that.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Got asked to do a short notice shoot with a local hobby model friend and her friend from out of town.

Medium Format

Chloe&Assayka005.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Digital

IMG_4779.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4672.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4788.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Harsh but fair. I'm really struggling with portraits and I've never shot two models at once before. I was asked to do it at short notice (like, 3 hours) so I didn't have many ideas of my own to bring to the shoot, I was mostly trying to make the girls' ideas work. The outside shots were taken in natural light with a single speedlight in a orb umbrella box. Inside I had limited space but three continuous lights in softboxes as well as two off-axis speedlights. I want to do more portrait and full body work but I'm definitely running into a block. Partly it's a problem of limited gear and space but I know that I won't magically get better photos just by buying a poo poo-ton of new gear either. Where do I go from here?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

I'd suggest reading a book on lighting or portrait posing, probably both actually. What the gently caress were you doing with 3 softboxed hotlights and 2 off camera flashes in a "limited space" ? I'm not trying to be a dick I'm honestly curious what your intentions were.

It's pretty dark in my living room for photography so I needed two hotlights to get decent exposure levels and then I used one or both speedlights as fills to soften the hard shadows. On the couch I needed the third softbox to keep the light consistent along the whole length.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

It looks like he's raising his crest in a mating display.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to guess how these were done. My theory at the moment is that there are multiple low-intensity strobe flashes during a long exposure. Is that right?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
loving hipsters and their fake dog hair filters. Just be authentic and rub your negatives over your dog. You don't get the same ~verisimiltude~ from digital overlays.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Moskva 6x9 shots from a local re-enactment event.

Moskva_Airshow003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva_Airshow004.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Had another go at low key portraits.

Chloë 30 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Chloë 18 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Chloë 5 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I mostly wanted to try a darker set. After the first edit, I realised that the strong low key effect wasn't going to work as well as it sounded in my head. In the interest of not just having disembodied bits of skin floating on a black background I ended up bumping the exposure and lowering contrast a fair bit during post.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I did a shoot for a local 'hostess club' and they decided that they didn't want the images I shot after all - despite the fact that the manageress was there with me and I showed her every picture as I took it.

They are all safe for work.

IMG_8911.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_8893.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough. My portrait game is pretty weak but I'm trying different things out and attempting to figure stuff out as I go. What specifically would you say was bad about those two portraits? How could they have been better?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The brief was basically, dark and moody, sexy without being sexual, classy and safe for Facebook.

I know what sexy pictures look like but the brief wasn't cheesecake.

It was a weird shoot because my Slovak isn't very good and none of the girls spoke English so we ended up having to speak Spanish via the manageress who spoke it for some reason. As for direction, the manageress wanted some specific poses and clothing changes and I was mostly trying to refine those and tidying things up - keeping limbs in frame and so on.

The girl in the first photo is quite a big girl and she was very conscious about the way the usual poses showed her size, the overhead photo I posted was my suggestion to try and de-emphasise her belly and hips. The second one, I was trying to show off her legs and draw attention away from her face while still keeping it in the frame.

I'm posting here because I want people to tell me how to improve. If I just want uncritical validation, I'll go talk to my dog. I don't get pissy when people tell me I suck as long as there's something I can take away from it to suck less in future.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the more detailed response, I appreciate it. I liked the aesthetic of the high contrast, two light setup so I've been playing with that a lot recently. I hope to get some outdoor shoots in soon to try and mix things up a bit.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Outdoor portraits.

untitled-15-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-32-Edit-Edit-2.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-22-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Outdoor shots can be great if you have room and a longish lens.

IMG_4590.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Kosice_March007.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5690.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Pet photos work a lot better when you are down at their level. On the second one, you've missed focus. Normally you'd focus on the eyes (just like for a human portrait), in this case, it looks like your lens was hunting between the nose and the eyes and just said 'gently caress it, random spot of empty space it is'. Even at 200mm, you should have enough DoF to get all of the face in focus at ƒ/5.6. On both of the dog photos, the crop is awkward, you've got a lot of dead space, but you've cut the legs off.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You have a longish lens. Lay down, throw a ball and catch her as she is playing with it. Animals are basically impossible to pose because they want to see what you are doing, or they want to move just as you're about to nail focus. Your best hope is to keep some distance so that they aren't interacting directly with you and try and catch some good poses as they move.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since I last got slammed for my terrible lighting choices, so here's the next set of experiments. This time, high-key lighting.

IMG_9885-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9900-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9946-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And a MF shot, Arax-88 on Fomapan 100.

Chloe High-Key003-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_0039.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr