Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I have a lot of trouble with posing, and will usually only get lucky with quantity. I'm anxious to hear what others do... Here's two that I think turned out well...

Click for larger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

Compare these two portraits:

The first has some major problems. The focus is on the arms/knees, not on the face (though you may have to view it larger to notice). The eyes lack that critical focus, and the hair is casting shadows across the left eye. The hands look awkward and unattractive.

The second image is much stronger for many reasons, not the least of which is that I paid more attention to the subject's eyes and hands.

I agree about the hair in photo one, and the hands are weird, but I didn't notice it until it was pointed out. I think her hands in the second photo look too posed.

So lets say you were going to reshoot photo one, what would you do different assuming it was the same pose?

Edit: One of the first things I learned while pursuing my graphic design degree was to be aware of "white space" In the design world that means exactly that, white space around the focus of the design. In your first photo the stairs to her right are huge to the composition. I would have done away with the purse as to me, that's a bigger focus than her knees. Does that make sense? I'm not sure what I was trying to say...

Acc-Risk fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 17, 2009

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
It's a great shot. Imagine it without the purse.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

Any amateur can pick up a camera and take a good portrait through trial and error, or luck.

That's exactly where I'm at now. I know what I like and not, but not really "why"