Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Hollywood usually knows better re: movie posters/ads/whatever.

http://www.ignitioncreative.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

DJExile posted:

My first portrait shooting experience was interesting to say the least. My dad wanted me to shoot an outdoor party (with a Great Gatsby theme, which was a lot of fun) in the evening. While having the sun behind me is nice, the problem was that it was going through a tree, and as the night went on, it got away from the tree and blew out about half the area I was shooting. Ordinarily, "change the shooting area!" is the order of the day, but this was in front of a friend's 1914 Model T (which was loving gorgeous) and he didn't want to move it if he didn't absolutely have to.

This is an example of what I was dealing with. Smaller groups, I obviously got in closer, but this was a problem all night. Would there be something I can do down the line to fight that?

I already know the picture isn't great by any means, but I had just received my new flash and had virtually no time to practice with it, so everything was on AUTO settings. :sigh:
(this is if you only have a camera and no flash)

1) shoot raw

2a) meter between sunlit and shadow, adjust histogram in post to maximize the camera's dynamic range and have real shadows and highlights.

2b) if you have a good working knowledge of your camera's meter and dynamic range, then meter off the sunlit white clothing and meter for +X where X is the max amount of stops above neutral your camera can capture.

you can recover somewhat blown highlights in post even if your camera is flashing the clip warning.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I had a total of 15 minutes to take these, from arrival. I had to move a heavy podium and figure out who was who and what to do in front of a large crowd :cry:

I am happy I got close to usable results, they are going to be printed tiny like. all the crookedness, all the drat chairs i had to contort around, panicing to somehow get all the people in the group photo IN THE GROUP PHOTO
:cry:

(samples)

(intentionally flat and not stylized in any way)

LESSON: Ask what the hell you're doing BEFORE you show up

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

squidflakes posted:

15 minutes and people expect half-way decent portraits?
eh i think this is what they are normally happy with, nice and generic for their quarterly report.

think they are below average? i really can't judge these right now as they weren't on my terms and too little time has passed...

torgeaux posted:

Dude on the far left of the group portrait is suffering from some radical lens distortion.
:downs:

notlodar fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 28, 2009

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

jackpot posted:

Woman second from left in the group portrait is just suffering
kind sir, she was a very nice and intimidating lady

squidflakes posted:

I don't know if I'd say below average. You at least took the time to pose everyone, even if the lighting makes them flat and boring. The people themselves look like they would like to be anywhere but right there, but if this was a work thing I'm surprised you even got the hint of a smile.

The only thing that really irks are the reflections off the gilt lettering on the books and, in the first portrait, the plastic announcement holder.

The holder you could have moved, but the spines would obviously reflect unless you were lighting from the sides.
There were like 5, I actually rearranged some books in the few minutes I had to prep. :ssh:

Oh, there was actually a MIRRORED WINDOW thing behind some books, WHY, its actually what's in front of those fan things

jackpot posted:

Haha if you scroll up the page from the bottom you notice this woman actually blends in with the books, it's like she's wearing some kind of librarian camo. :)
I noticed this, in person she just disappeared into the books!! What's she doing with her hand!!@@!# whatever

I sorta fixed the distortion I failed to notice, kinda, to a "good enough" state, but it totally warped the background, i don't know what was going on, i think i had one food on a chair for the last one so I was somewhat off balance.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I am now a big fan of the unconventional approach. High contrast film + hard light from a flash I played with as a child...

I hated this style a couple of years ago when I was dumber (may be related)

i like metal backgrounds that can PROPERLY reflect my flash.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I think it looks soft because I pushed it in post (and I increased the light output of my "softbox"), so the combined effect of too much scattered light and underexposed details probably made it a bit soft.

also these aren't really a series, I wasn't sure which one of the two scrunch face pictures was stronger... I actually like the other one but mostly because it's funnier to me

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

TeMpLaR posted:

I was going for an 'American Apparel' feel.
Don't do this. Ever.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Dial it down in production and dial it up in post and see how it looks.

If you mess with curves: bump up highlights without clipping, you might get the same effect without losing all that detail

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

poopinmymouth posted:

I love having my 2nd light to control density.

I keep it almost perfectly at the camera axis, similarly to how Dan Winters uses his ringlight. I need to build some screen covers to control the ratio more, this is using 2:1 (my power pack is locked at a 2:1 assymetric)

That entire set is really cute :3:, it's nice to know your face doesn't shatter if you smile

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

I like the way the green banner bulges a bit. Makes it look kind of like a button. A jolly, candy-like button.
now it looks like an apple jolly rancher to me

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

HPL, I think those are a little bit too contrasty. maybe because they are too warm/red, I mostly see it in the more yellow areas (which effects the red areas...)

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

I had to crank up the contrast a bit because of the white seamless. I was getting light spill around the edges of the models because there wasn't enough space to get them far enough from the background plus it was rather foggy in there so the whole room was diffusing light. I agree with you about the yellow areas. One culprit in the third photo was that I was using hard light (gridded 285HVs) so that made the transition from light to dark a lot harsher. Plus by the time I was doing the black seamless shots, it was even more foggy in there as you can see from the light area on the right side of the photo. I don't know why, but every studio-type of shoot I've done seems to end up as a huge foggy haze by the end.

I considered going with less saturation, but I really dug the bright colour of the lipstick and the rich blue of the laboratory glassware. The models weren't exactly olive-skinned sun worshippers, so turning down the saturation also made them look incredibly pale. Plus I was going for more of a film-like colour cast. I used the Provia colour setting in DxO Optics. I definitely could have put a little more work into the post-processing but I wanted to try to see how good I could get it with minimal post work.

In the future, I'd definitely go with less contrast if only because I'd get the lighting better. This was the first time I've tried a seamless background shoot.
I think the fog came from all the pot :v:

Getting a perfectly white seamless is tough with a limited space, even worse when you have less than 4 lights without the right modifiers. A few photoshop masks (curves and saturation) may be able to do what you want with the photos while maintaining control, but I don't know if that's more work than you want to do.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

In Lightroom: Try reducing clarity, use a mask for skin only

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

That's what I figured when I first saw his photos. Then me and a friend mimicked it with my 5D, too easy :smug:

:smug: is the new :ninja: right?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

It's probably an art school final project. Some photo teachers love this kind of poo poo (not knocking it, don't fool yourselves if you think they always let you do whatever you want and like...

drat you MY TEACHER

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Also, art school: the last place to take some real risks until you are actually successful :(

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone who wants to make a good print bigger than 8x10!

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Intentional or not, this photo really works with some of your prior work, but posting it alone is just asking for it to be critiqued on its own, where the possible meaning is lost.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

dukeku posted:

Floating head portraits are very en vogue

While a rim light would help, there IS separation.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Day one of photographing my stupid girlfriend's outfit for the day before she goes to work. That'll teach her for asking me how she looks.

I told her to wear the skirt she had on before this, but nooooo

notlodar fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 21, 2014

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Did you tell her to make her least attractive face for that second one? Also I'm not even gonna ask where that's acceptable workwear :ohdear:
I think she was making a fart sound and doing something with her butt. Like poop was coming out.

LargeHadron posted:

Skinny Mom Jeans Emporium

e. Also I don't think her face is unattractive in the second. You have a good-looking girlfriend, notlodar :). Sorry to hear that she's stupid though.
I told her thats what she's going to look like when shes much older after much plastic surgery. At least she doesn't look like she's going to murder me.

1st AD posted:

Yeah those jeans are really high waisted, nice photo otherwise though.

It's like... where the hell is your belly button you alien.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

The bulb on the left is cooler. I think it adds to the photo's interestingness and authenticity.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, it was supposed to be fashion but dude lost his shirt.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Dudes, just find an albino dude.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

rcman50166 posted:

I've been learning photoshop lately. My buddy has a green screen backdrop so I just went nuts. Admittedly not the greatest, but I'm still learning.

Feel free to beat me up over these.

deaders posted:

That photography shirt... wow.

They all suck btw.

gently caress the haters, those photos are fun as poo poo it's apparent. Now, I wouldn't pick up a camera and try to make a bunch of money with it, but you're having fun, you're doing it right. If your images are fun, bonus!

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Outtake from some lookbook thing. Fuji GSWIII. Provia 100 with a '97 expiration date and little to no fridge time that I got off craigslist a few years ago.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Like it a lot. I'm fine with the shadow, but seeing where the seamless curves to the ground bugs me a little.
Thanks!

On the seamless, I am torn about seeing the curve, but it does bother me that it's at an angle...

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

There is something about these that feels like a missed moment, I think it's her expression. Or I am just projecting because it's the same face my girlfriend makes 95% of the time when I photograph her.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Yall are trippin, that adolescent girl is the best dressed of them all and that sweater is dope.