Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Try bouncing your flash in a sheet of paper to the side of the subject (so light doesn't spill too much onto your BG) and make sure you background's far away behind (so light falloff helps getting it as dark as possible).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Try this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Toupee posted:

Ok flattering is the wrong word. Maybe just "pleasing to look at"?

Are those not portraits? If a character's the subject of a picture, then it's a portrait, isn't it? :confused:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Unnatural expressions work against 1 (cheese) and 3 (sad panda). You're losing quite a bit of face detail on 2, but I like it otherwise.
Might have been your intention, but you may want to pay attention to your level relative to the subject, and to what you're cropping.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mcmadcow what's your flickr name?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks, couldn't find it from inside the iphone app and assumed it was something else. Woops.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I dunno if a lighting setup that dramatic really serves the subject. I mean it'd work deliciously on a palpatine kind of character, but an HR consultant?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Interrupting Moss posted:

e: and that depends on your perception of HR guys...
Hahaha yeah, ours are friendly :)
And about the light, if you're happy and your PE's happy...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

I had heard that f/1.8 is about the borderline on shooting people, and 1.4 is probably overkill. Can anyone set me straight on this?
DoF is distance-dependent. Play with a DoF calculator. You're looking at 85mm yes?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

DoF is magnification dependent. The same subject magnified to the same size on the focal plane will be at the same DoF across all focal lengths. :eng101:
Oh hey look, someone who actually knows what the gently caress is up. This explains a lot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can't really do that on people with glasses.

Verman posted:

This is when you manual focus or ask him to lift his glasses to get a focus point.
'xactly. Sorry I wasn't clear 8-|

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 8, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If it's you why not reshoot with the light dialed a wee bit down?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah the gallery interface is hosed up something fierce.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

This hipster anti-ethos is just killing me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It looks like you've pushed the right side of her face too far (not much detail left, and the left side's bright enough, so I'd tune it down a notch). Also you've got pretty obvious exposure-adjustment halo's around the jacket.

This is really the kind of picture where bringing to some light along makes post 200% easier.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In the US yes. You should really be thinking about copyright too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe he should be try to retain it was what I was hinting at.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Would be a tad more engaging if she were looking at you!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

oncearoundaltair posted:

"It's just a pity he was so shy. He was starting to come around when you were leaving."

What would coming around would be my open backhand in the general direction of his face. You don't promise loot to kids who misbehave, it's just encouragement.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fronkpies posted:

Don't shoot girls you want to stay friends with in harsh sunlight. It works in the warm sun with sunglasses, but that's about it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tongsy posted:

How'd I do? :v: I'm happy with the results, except for the glare on her glasses and the few small shadows
You're missing a stop of light or so. Also, you're kinda setting your own bear-trap by posing a white person in a black-as-night shirt close to a white background.

But the underexposure's the main thing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

psylent posted:

When doing full length shots of people, I have this really terrible habit of cutting off their ankles. I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with me.

Am I alone here?
Used to do the same, started paying attention, now it's become an automatism to check I've got the shoes too when framing full body shots.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Well I've finally got some free time from work, so I can practice taking portraits! Sadly, however, there's no one around other than me, and occasionally my little brother, to practice on. Here's what I've got so far:

That's so deliciously awkward :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Well, what do you have, and what can you get?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hanpan posted:

18-55mm IS Lens which came with the 550D, apparently it's not terrible.
50mm f/1.4
Hopefully a 70-200mm f/4.0 by this weekend.
TsarAleksi already mentioned that, but with studio light you can tighten your apertures up to a point where even kit lenses look really good. You seem to have the whole range covered, so you'll be fine.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah. F/8 tends to be cool though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AtomicManiac posted:

Is it me or are those highlights completely blown? (forehead, arms, nails, boobs, all on the light's side)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Not blowing them out in the first place would help (turn on the blinkies!), but yeah once it's done there's not much you can get out of them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

torgeaux posted:

This is one of the better shots in the series.
I like it too, but the fact that my SO pulls the same face when she disagrees with me probably helps.
Good going especially on the first bunch, zombie :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

She looks stoned :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It might be my laptop monitor but she looks pretty blue.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gazmachine posted:

Give it another half stop, and pay attention to her posture.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hop Pocket posted:

Easy livin'
Hahaha. I've done the same a couple of times, and it really takes about a minutes to dial everything the way you want (I use CLS, but wahtevs).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Santa is strapped posted:

My friend, standing on the top floor of a parking lot. I was 'freelensing' it. I like the effect.

That's some pretty spot on focus for something free-lensed.

Glass Knuckles posted:

For some reason, I feel like my brain is trying to convince me that the buildings are distracting or something, but I think I actually like everything about the picture. :iiam:
That's kinda how I feel about it. I want the buildigs to be straight, but it works this way and I'm not sure straight would be better.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 9, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A reflector would go a long way on these. Still I like them and your pops is a good model 8)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I hate the cut feet but I love everything else about it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

All guys and casual means IT.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Did you try other prints?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Have them step away from the backdrop so you can light it independently (and throw it OOF if you like).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AtomicManiac posted:

Haha you're still cutting body parts. Also that second one is underexposed.