Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Senior portraits!

I'm so bad at posing :smithicide:

e: noticed some artifacts on the first one.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
A set of senior portraits I did a while back. Critique appreciated!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Reichstag posted:

I think the first two work very well as senior portraits, but the third is problematic within that context; looking down on an uncertain subject does not project the exuberance and possibility generally desired for those shots. The first one is probably the safest choice for the final pick, though I would really like to see it with her entire head in the blown out light, because as TheAngryDrunk said, her hair melts into it, I think it would be a rather nice effect for the photo though.
I completely agree that not all of the pictures are very senior-portrait-like... but I definitely got a lot of pictures that I think work on a different level. The first picture is indeed the one that's getting printed out at 8x10 for the wall of senior photo/prom pictures.

Here's a few more.

Not sure how to make her hair pop out more from the trees in the background. Maybe some dodge/burn?

Reminded me of Saoirse Ronan and a particular shot from The Lovely Bones:

Not much of a senior portrait, but I liked it on its own merits:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

XTimmy posted:

What are you using/Are you lighting these? That light is so soft!
It's natural light and (except for the first of each group of three) alt lenses with fringing wide open. I do at least need to invest in a reflector, though.

edit: Also a little bit of post. Slight vignette effect on the one you quoted, for example.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 11, 2011

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I think I forgot to post this.

e: nevermind, I had posted it. :downs:

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 17, 2011

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Went to a wedding. I'm too lazy right now to fix stray hairs. Meanwhile, tell me your preferred method for dealing with them in post!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The best way to get medium format type effects is to shoot medium format. We have a thread over here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3191750 :smug:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I feel like this could have used some back tilt to fix the perspective.

Amy by RHITMrB, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xenilk posted:

Could you elaborate on what you think look neat on that picture? The posture, the lightning and background?

I'm not sure if you're being witty/sarcastic or serious.

He's being sarcastic. It's not flattering or pretty and there's no split toning, therefore it was done wrong, duh!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xenilk posted:

I guess I just don't get those type of "breaking the rules" pictures.

So you're content to do the same thing over and over?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xenilk posted:

I'm happy with refining my own style, yes of course. I found what I liked to do, why would I be wrong by pursuing it?

I find it rather funny that you seem insulted by the fact that I'm trying to comprehend what's going on. I feel like you could be one of those elitist people who shush you when you ask a question regarding a piece in a museum just to avoid answering since you have no idea what it is yourself.

I guess I'd rather know what the author meant to do when doing an actual artsy piece rather than just telling myself "it's art" and move on.

You're the one who seems insulted - you're reading really far into what I posted.

The points you should consider - does everything have to be about knowing the authorial intent? Is everything that's "different" necessarily just different for the sake of being different? I don't really care if you want to do things in your particular style, I just want you to question those assumptions you displayed in your responses to Reichstag and the photo he posted.

edit: here, I googled "authorial intent" for you http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Author_intent

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Lots of great work in here lately!

Broken by xxyzx road, on Flickr

Is your monitor the "broken" part? Because your blacks aren't even close to black and your whites aren't even close to white.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Yeah, I realize it's "in" right now, I just honestly don't see the point of relying on it as a stylistic choice. What does it add to the image? Like with any other kind of post-processing, be careful you don't let your processing be the point of the image. I feel like you use it as a crutch. I know I don't post in this thread a lot (something I plan on changing) but there's a lot of other stuff I'd think about before adding that type of post work. Some of your compositional choices are a little bizarre to me, for example.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 29, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

:confused: yes, these are images with black blacks.

edit: tell us more about home scanning :allears:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Raider Nation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

edit: home scanned Portra :haw:

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 5, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Amy by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I'm not very good at this.

Kim by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Tyler by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I took a picture of a person.

Deadman Pass, I-84, Oregon by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Did you know this person? I think that would be a cool setting to take a portrait.

It is ~*~ my girlfriend ~*~ and I told her where to stand.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I took another picture of a person.

Harvey by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xenilk posted:

Tested Sue Bryce's vflat/natural light approach... pretty neat :)

IMG_2352 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2306 by avoyer, on Flickr

The first one would be a lot better if it were warmer. The second one unflatteringly emphasizes her arm and two front teeth. (Please also get your model to make a different facial expression - give her some direction other than "stare at the camera blankly.")

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

XTimmy posted:

Not trying to Reichstag here

:psyduck: what are you even saying?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

XTimmy posted:

Is mentally filed away for me as "Reichstaggin'"

Excuse me, but I don't believe Reichstag has an exclusive claim on valid criticism of post-processing. :confused:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Despair posted:

Dont' look a gift cig in the butt.

Now you're just trying to blow smoke up my rear end.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Making the best of a fogged negative.

Ben by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
HP5+ is way better than Tri-X anyway.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

David by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Amy by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xenilk posted:

And it's bar events that make it look like it's a big frat party (fraternities are illegal here in Canada as far as I know).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternities_and_sororities_in_Canada ??

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xenilk posted:

Well in the province of Quebec (I travel often to Ottawa and Montreal), where I am from, I haven't seen any. I always thought it was illegal to be quite honest.

Edit:

http://queensjournal.ca/story/2012-10-23/features/ams-revisits-fraternity-ban/

seems to talk about a fraternity ban...

The policy stipulates that “no member of the Society shall be an active member of any fraternity or sorority, that is, any organization composed of students and former students which has a secret oath, constitution or pledge or which has a sign of identification such as a pin or Greek letters, or which is affiliated with any organization outside of the University.”

Ah, yes, the Alma Mater Society of Queen's University makes Canada's laws. That explains so much. Or maybe it's just that you can't read and always need to defend yourself and have the last word on critique??

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

SeaborneClink posted:

I suppose next time you could save a "left" and "right" side preset of settings in your camera's C1/C2/C3 settings. :shrug:

It's flash power he'd need to change, not camera settings.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

the hodag posted:

I did a shoot with a bride after her wedding at a cool old house.

She doesn't look very happy for having just gotten married. That's not intentional, is it?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

evil_bunnY posted:

Eyes aren't in focus mang.

Close enough, okay??

:sigh:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Ha, I don't think any of the TFLC posters who posted swole selfies actually followed the rules of the contest by including a username sign :v:

Now that we're back to non-swole portraits:

Amy, Dunes, Seaview by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

thetzar posted:

Oh, this is fantastic. Snap luck, or did you ask her to stand like that?

It was posed. Snapshots aren't a thing with a 4x5 field camera :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I think since my account is newer my share functions are different, the box and arrow share button leads to just images of different sharing services, a [url] and [img] tagged set of links and some <iframe> code. No option of BBcode. Also every time I go to grab the link I have to set the photo to private, refresh, then back to public and refresh again before it gives me the link. Every time I log-in.

The [url] and [img] tagged set of links IS BBcode.