Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Toupee posted:

Portraiture is about flattering the subject though. I can't honestly look at your stuff and say its portraiture. I think its a neat idea for a project though.

E2:
< Reichstag> NO IT IS NOT
< Reichstag> ARGHHHHH

E: I suppose what I'm trying to say is that just like almost everything else in art, theres a set canon to define what falls into certain categories. You're really pushing the boundaries of portraiture to the point that it is probably safe to say it isn't portraiture.

Yes it is. Pick up any photography book on portraiture and it sure as gently caress isn't going to be about the non relationship about the non subject and the blah blah blah.

Pick up an issue of Aperture magazine or read a web site that doesn't focus entirely on commercial and wedding photography.

Slightly off-kilter portraiture is a very well established genre, and Reichstag is by no means pushing its boundaries (sorry Reichstag), for a rather extreme example, consider paintings of runckenfigur, or if you must, this flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/ruckenfigur/

At worst his photos are deadpan (which more or less requires the centred framing) and show the reluctance of his subjects, but that hardly disqualifies them as portraits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Toupee posted:

Hot Cops had what I was thinking of with 'engaging'. So yeah those are portraits. Reichstag is self admittedly intentionally creating un-engaging photos, though, which is the angle I'm coming from.

I disagree that they are unengaging.

Yes, they fail the test of letting you peer into someone's eyes through the screen, but you should be left to wonder why (as opposed to assuming its some sort of incompetent snapshot). What does that say about the subject? Why won't the subject engage the camera/photographer... why won't they engage you? What are you left with? Examine their posture and body language, their clothing, the setting, your usual relationship with people in portraits, etc.

Art man, it's like, deep or something.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
A friend of mine works in a photomat that does passport photos and he is collecting the ones he finds interesting for some purpose yet to be discovered. It's certainly a little unethical, and would be illegal to reproduce commercially (even though he is operating the camera it is work for hire as he is employed in a quite conventional way by the photo mat), but it sure is interesting to look through.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

psylent posted:

Has he seen Amelie?

Its similar i suppose, but its a bit more transgressive since they are taken and repurposed photos as opposed to found...

edit: I imagine it's been done before, but the results I've been shown so far are pretty engaging.

dunno fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 17, 2009

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Munkaboo posted:

How might one go about focusing both the background and the person?

Small apertures and more distance from the subject...

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

DJExile posted:

I'll be using a crazy large aperture more than I'll be taking pictures of bugs.

That would be ideal, frankly I prefer photos taken in dimly lit circumstances, low depth of field portraiture and natural vignetting over flower and insect close-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

pwn posted:

It was more difficult than I anticipated to previsualize what I wanted in the end. I've started taking notes, and hopefully next time I shoot a new person I can at least meet them once before the shoot. Is that reasonable to expect out of editorial stuff like this, or is it always going to be this way? :(

If you're shooting for a paper you shouldn't expect much more.

If you want to do more ambitious shoots with musicians, you should be doing their press photos before an album release or tour or be shooting for a magazine/more photo-centric publication with a budget and facilities for that sort of thing (and a potential for exposure that is worth the subject's time).

edit: Also, please avoid "dude/dudes in an alley against a brick wall" for music press photos, it's a really over-used trope...

dunno fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 19, 2009