Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Thanks, I have two senior portraits to do this weekend, this will come in handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Without getting too involved in this debate, and taking on the general question of what makes a portrait: I think that capturing that person's "human"-ness is the magic. That's an obvious statement, though it's easy to get lost. Life is always about balance, and making a technically good photo is what you expect, but if you can also get that moment, that flash of a person's humanity... people in live events are great to cover for this. Everybody puts on masks to the world and they switch off as they go through the day. I found my best photos are when I have the technical stuff already taken care of and I catch the subject in-between changing those "masks." It's the little hard nut that is tough to crack, but when you do it releases a fragrant spice that makes it work.

For me so far I have done it relatively few times, in relation to the number of photos I've done, so I work on refining that approach to get what I want more often. I don't profess to fully get Reichstag's work, or lodar's for that matter, but I'm always paying attention when they post something. They have a vision and sometimes they fail, but if you spend life afraid of failing, you probably always will. Having the confidence to continue pushing yourself, while always being satisfied where you are, is part of the balance.

pwn
May 27, 2004

jackpot posted:

I remember when you first posted this, and it remains one of my favorite SA photos.
Me too. I regret not having enough money to buy one of the prints. :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'm set to shoot a musician for my paper to use in an article about him. This is my first time shooting someone formally in such a capacity, and I'm nervous because I don't want to make him/the photos generic. This would be a shoot with him and his guitar, though my editor said I pretty much could do whatever I wanted as long as it's interesting. I need some general advice, obviously I have to conceive it myself though. I'll be meeting him Monday afternoon and the photos are due by Wednesday preferably.

pwn
May 27, 2004

HPL posted:

Let the photo fit the genre of music and the personality of the musician. If they're wild and crazy, use a wide or ultra-wide lens to get that exaggeration of perspective. If it's a quiet singer-songwriter type, use a telephoto to get more of a "proper" portrait. You also have to decide whether you want to portray the musician or the musician's on-stage persona, which can be two totally different things. Pick a location that can inspire spontaneity.
Thank you. I met him Monday, I had a couple locations in mind, but I was mostly getting the feel of who he was. This is the best photo from the day:

I wish I had lit him on the subject-left side to add a bit of definition. I also would choose to pay attention to the strap and put the right collar over, rather than under, it. Make it look more like "Oh I'm a wandering musician, just passing through" casual.

It was more difficult than I anticipated to previsualize what I wanted in the end. I've started taking notes, and hopefully next time I shoot a new person I can at least meet them once before the shoot. Is that reasonable to expect out of editorial stuff like this, or is it always going to be this way? :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

My editor told me to go nuts, they treat it as a photo illustration. Though I love that sign and made sure it was in the picture. :/ I turned it in Wednesday, they were happy with them.

pwn
May 27, 2004

HPL posted:

That's why it's good to have someone along to help you out, be it a friend or an actual photographer's assistant. They'll see things the little things to adjust or think of things you didn't because you were busy with technical stuff. Also, if you're trying to pitch a photo idea to the subject, a second opinion can help sway things big time.
That's a drat good idea. Thanks. Now to actually FIND someone to tag along.

Here's the published article by the way: http://volumeone.org/magazine/articles/979/LISTEN_Greg_Gilbertson.html

Penpal posted:

jumped inside of a giant christmas tree type decoration thing for this shot. 50 1.4 wide open, focused on the eyes. Disappointed with the lack of chin/neck separation (they kind of blend a bit) but I'm really pleased with it, besides the splurge splurge bokeh bokeh bokeh. All available light, lately I have been on a tangent and have stopped using my flash in night shots.
:swoon: I love the gently caress out of this. I too have been on a flash-in-the-dark strike of sorts lately. Also I find it hard to believe that you like this "besides the splurge splurge bokeh bokeh bokeh" when it's such a prominent element in the photo. :)

You wanna clean up those ridiculously hard edges around her shoulders etc though. I assume that happened during post processing?

pwn
May 27, 2004

LuisX posted:

I would have used a stronger light, maybe a smaller umbrella, but everything else checks out :)

Clone out that lump of dark on the lower right side

pwn
May 27, 2004

HPL posted:

Shooting with a brick background is okay, but what I probably would have done is moved the models further away from the wall so the wall isn't so bright. If it were darker, the models would stand out more. Moving the models further away would also help blur the background somewhat as well since it wouldn't be as close to the focal plane.

Gambl0r posted:

I also was shooting these in a room the size of a small cubicle and had no way of moving the model away from the wall to allow for light falloff to darken the background.

pwn
May 27, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

Does anyone have a copy of the posing guide? http://jzportraits.home.att.net/chapter-01.html

It appears to be offline.
You can download it here. The PDF is formatted kinda goofily but all the info is there.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'm guessing hella high pass filter too.

pwn
May 27, 2004

My friend wanted to play dress-up and I needed off-camera lighting practice. The first three were right before dawn, going for a walking-home-after-a-party-under-moonlight look.

Switch outfits as dawn broke and none of them came out except this. I wanted to machete that bush out of existence.

Feel free to point out every mistake. I wish I'd scouted the location first. We're doing more shoots this Summer so this was glorified practice, the first time I've really had a go with :pcgaming:STROBES:pcgaming:

pwn
May 27, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

What was the lighting set-up on the second and third? I think those turned out well light wise. I think the poses could be a bit more interesting, or maybe a prop could come in handy. Something like a rock or a fence might be nice to have the model interact with.
Thanks. She did bring a weird wooden stonehenge-looking bust, I will need to get more creative in the posing department. The lighting was an unmodified SB-600 camera-left slightly behind her on the second. The first and third are camera-right slightly in front. The exposures were around 1/5 to let enough ambient in on her right and the scenery.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cross_ posted:

You were using strobes so there's no excuse for camera shake. In particular the first photo with its 0.5 sec exposure is too blurry. Keep the dawn photo it looks awesome with the sun's back/side lighting.
The light from camera right is ambient, hence the shutter drag. I have one strobe so I gotta make it work. The blurry is unnoticeable at normal non-peeping resolution.

pwn
May 27, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

Why is she carrying a lantern if it's totally bright out enough to see? Here is more how I would have balanced it. Probably a snooted strobe with a gel (or post) to make it look like the orange lantern, then killed the ambient till it's there, but barely.

I'd also have done a 2nd, very high blue strobe for the moon.

Like so:

You're right, I didn't think of that when I shot it. I'm starting to get some ideas, will post back when they've been shot. Thank you for the critique. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

These are people with "dark skin" which may be messing you up.