Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

As a new dad I feel like I would be happy hiring you after seeing this session. I agree that you captured some really nice moments well and that the only things to clean up are things that critics (rather than parents) would notice. Case in point - good capture here, but if everybody had rotated like 30 degrees left, that dumpster wouldn't be hanging out in your background.

Seconding that this is dynamite.

Shot a 9 month session for my son. Nothing fancy for lighting but it got the job done - SB-700 and a shoot-through umbrella. Thinking I need to be careful with ambient white balance in the future. Thoughts?

Max - 9 Months by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Seriously digging the chiaroscuro effect here. You could plop him down next to Christ's grieving mother or something in a Renaissance painting and nobody would even blink.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Lensbaby headshot by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Lensbaby headshot by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Don't worry, I shot normal ones with the 85 too but I thought these were kind of cool. I had to stop down to f4 to have any prayer of getting eyes in focus.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

JJC&B by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

I really like doing panoramas and I need to work on shooting more of them.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Geektox posted:

This is interesting, what focal length did you use? Also, what is the benefit of this over just shooting normally, other than the drastically bigger picture?

Shot it with a 50mm f1.8 stopped down to f2. Combining 9 shots yields me a final product that would have effectively been shot at 30mm f1.2 (according to the calculator.

...and I just noticed the stitching error on the pear tree. Not thrilled with the ancient version of Photoshop Elements that I'm using for stitching and Hugin is a giant pain the the dick, but I guess that's the price you pay for not buying new software.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Ark posted:

Were you using the Brenizer Method for this?

As far as I know? It's a 9 shot matrix as such:
code:
OOO
OOO
OOO
I figured f2 counts as almost wide open, hopefully enough to buy me a little sharpness while keeping DOF small.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

thetzar posted:

I'd love to hear some of your experience working like this. I've never really been able to nail panorama stitching, but I love this effect. What did you use, have any trouble?

voodoorootbeer posted:

ancient version of Photoshop Elements
5.0 to be exact, and

voodoorootbeer posted:

stitching error on the pear tree

Whenever I have issues, it tends to be with tree branches. I try to keep the subject in a single frame to avoid errors in clothing or phantom limbs. I've had enough practice that I at least have more hits than misses now and I've pretty much committed to being happy with my composition before I buy new software for stitching.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Hey I love my medium format but my fastest MF lens is 3.5 so I don't feel bad at all about dicking around with digital panoramas.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

Cross-posting from the "street" thread. 8x10 at night.

How are these lit?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

I'm sorry, but your vest... there's nothing we could do. It is terminally dorky.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Ric posted:

Alexi Laiho, backstage, 2010

The most metal beer to put on your rider is the one that's guaranteed to be skunked.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

the lighting looks really direct. what did you use and how far away was the light? It's not that flattering.

What are you talking about? It could easily be Renaissance style window light.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

McMadCow posted:

There's all sorts of context all over the scene- in and out of the main lighting- that speaks more of a narrative scene to me than a description of the person in the photo.
This picture reminds me of a Crewdson or Lorca Di Corsia, and I mean that in a good (great) way. I'm not saying it doesn't belong in this thread, I'm just opining that "portrait" isn't the best description of it.

EDIT: And lighting on the human subject doesn't equal a portrait.

Ok but you're only saying what it's not. What is it? This person in this place at this time (posed or unposed isn't clear in this shot in particular -- even if I were doing this kind of shot unposed I would definitely need to neaten / arrange the background at the very least) with intent qualifies at very least as environmental portrait, but if there's something else to call it I'm curious to hear what it is. Your style seems to rely heavily on both subject and environment so what are you shooting if not portraits?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

That's some tight story telling

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

thetzar posted:

Hey, there's a room over there where all of the light is green. WHAT TO DO

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Are his ears orange for a particular reason?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

food thread is that way

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

1st AD posted:

This owns, love it.

So the last weekend I tried doing a couple portraits without photo lighting - CFL's suck and are terrible to use and I'm never doing this again until I get some strobes.

DSC_9578 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_9549 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_9564 by chazaraz, on Flickr

What did you do with your curves? Something besides the CFL color is weird.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

torgeaux posted:

The second is much stronger. Her expression and the light on her face in the first is not as flattering.

Disagree. The close eye and shadow on the near side of the face in the first one are great.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Flickr over sharpened, but I'll post anyway.

Mariah
by Steve V, on Flickr

(How's my color?)

BLACK SMASH

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

dakana posted:

I need to get better at my banter, and getting people to relax more. Some people it happens pretty easily with, like my last engagement shoot, but some personalities are just harder for me to read & get them to open up. Lucas and I were working 1-on-1, so it was even harder for me. I mean, I'm feeling confident in the shooting part of it; I just need to get more confident with my people skills when I'm alone with a subject.

Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Your rim light is a little too intense -- it's distracting.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

McMadCow posted:

My homage to David Octavius Hill. 8x10 Paper negative, toned print.

Lenny the Deckhand by Jason, on Flickr

Very dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Erostratus posted:

I bought a $25 (badass) lamp just as an excuse to photograph this guy.

Lamp Crafters Owner by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

You got a hell of a deal.