Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

psylent posted:

How did you get the perfectly black background here?

Look at the original it's not as perfect as you think (also it's probably a piece of cloth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

jackpot posted:

Thanks, I think your snapshots are really cute too!

You make jokes but I feel like a big pharmaceutical logo for a drug that solves some vaguely described problem would be right at home on any of those other portraits

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
This might confuse you but there is an aspect to portraiture that isn't about selling your photos or necessarily pleasing your subject.

E: That was a response mostly to plague doctor. With regard to the post above mine, a human body can be a prop like any other but there is a special consideration with humans which is that they have a formal geometry that expands beyond the physical. A living, or post-living, prop has different interactions with it's environment than something that never lived at all. Portraiture does not necessarily need to capture the subjects personality but will likely consider it in it's overall composition.

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 15, 2009

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

XTimmy posted:

Reich normally I can get behind your stuff, I'm not crazy about your style but I can see thought behind most of your images, I can see talent, I like dull colours, depressing hues and crushing tones... But I really dislike that image. His face is oddly coloured, perhaps it's my monitor but he has a slight magenta tint that just looks odd. The depth of field isn't picking sides, does it WANT to be shallow and simply reveal an eye or does it want to cover his face? At the moment it just looks as if you took it at the wrong stop or didn't carry the one when measuring DOF. That and the focus appears to be on his cheek bone. You've avoided blow-outs on his skin (barely) which is great but otherwise the lighting looks like it's trying to do the hipster dead on angle thing but comes out looking just flat, blah. I know you like destroying the rules of composition but in this case his centre position in frame just gives him no space to look into and, like the lighting, rather than achieving a deliberate-messy affect it just looks uninspired.
Overall it looks like a shot I would have taken with a point-and-shoot at a friends party while he's talking to someone.

I don't have anything on you, you're a better photographer than me times a thousand but that image just don't cut it man.

If you ask me, based on your critiques, this is probably one of Reichstag's most successful images.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I guess the word "seem" is pretty operative in that sentence. When you spend years learning how to take photographs by yourself you learn much more than just how to take pictures that other people like to look at. You develop a personal sense of aesthetic, you learn to understand the form and its limits, why things happen the way do and how you can manipulate things to create the image that you want. Moreover you learn from what you see and you get a sense of what people are doing and what they have done so that you can draw your own photography from that collective experience. I find that people who "get traction within weeks" generally just get that by being fed a set of rules and tutorial instructions from blogs, forums, and flickr and all they really learn is how to create one image and, because they have no personal aesthetic, they are always unsure of the "quality" of that image. It isn't impossible to develop these things after the fact but I feel that it is much easier to learn later on and that there is a generally more even ground to ones photography if they develop first by taking photos of what they want purely for the fun with no regard for what is correct or right and over time developing their personal image organically.

I wouldn't say necessarily that one way is right and the other is wrong but my two cents generally amounts to having knowledge before trying to impress people by being smart.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

a foolish pianist posted:

I like the look of this one... ....does that sound right?

No.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
He looks like he just graduated from Hogwarts

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
That seems a bit narrow, I can think of a handful of photos where the main focus is anything but the face (some that don't even feature a face at all) that I would consider portraiture. I think a better definition might be somewhere along the lines of a work depicting a living (or perhaps dead) form where that work is expressive of the subject within the work and perhaps their environment. I think an image that uses a generic character or actor to express an idea then that is not necessarily a portrait unless the specific identity of that character is somehow manifested in the work. For example here's a couple photos by Jeff Wall

I would say that neither of these images are portraits because they are not so much about the people in them so much as the ideas they represent. Who the people are supposed to be is obvious, what's really under discussion in the image is the cultural ramifications of those characters. Incidentally, these photos are recreations and not candid though that has little to do with the point I'm making.

Here's a couple photo by Avedon that don't feature a face at all:

I think that these are portraits. Though the identity of the people under the clothes is irrelevant the images are study of form and movement that is specific to the human subject and their dress. So despite being anonymous the focus of the photos is one specific form. The images are uncomplicated by a real environment which makes them very powerful as a study but even if the subjects where placed on a street corner or in the woods or wherever they would still likely function as a portrait but with much more complex environmental interactions.

Also be careful about breaking down ideas into discreet categories a fashion, editorial, or documentary photograph are often portraiture as well and it's common that there is blurring of the lines between each category.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
maybe its a who gives a poo poo

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Bang3r posted:

Figured this is close enough to a portrait!

State of Origin by bang3rachi, on Flickr

that's good

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
lol

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

thetzar posted:

Ansel here notwithstanding, this is an extremely good point. This shoot in particular was more pointless than normal even for me; I just found a model in the area I was visiting family in because I wanted to shoot. I didn't have any concept or ideas behind it, I just wanted to shoot. I figured I'd just call it practice.

The more I do this, the more I realize that photography is easy, having a reason behind it is hard. When I try to come up with something, it feels forced and fake.

I need to find more interesting people to take pictures of. Also, I need to find a more interesting person to take the photos.

hey man dont let these dweebs get u down. id say u should take a gander at your favourite photos and try to figure out what you like about them and then try to use those elements in ur work. heck even just trying to replicate your favourite pictures is a great way to grow an innate aesthetic sense and connect that to the physicality of photography

good luck goon

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
noticed the clock was a little askew and did my best to fix it

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I think in photography or any visual medium a good start is to try and make something beautiful. Everyone has a different idea about what that is and I think that by following your own notions of beauty you will eventually end up somewhere unique. Sometimes you might think you are tired of making beautiful things and want to do something different from that. If you are having that kind of thought then I would suggest you follow that notion instead as it is likely to lead you exciting places.

Of course there is no escaping influence in art but our aesthetic sensibilities are constructed from an assemblage of our influences. If you study photography and other art or intellectual material and do so widely what sticks with you will inform your photographic style. If you have diverse influences I believe you are more likely to produce something personal and unique in your practice.

I think the second portrait is better as others have said. The geometric simplicity lends itself better to the appearance and manner of dress of your subject. The first feels full of tension and is messy and unfocused but for what purpose ?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
im just saying if you want to have "ideas" about photography a good start is by thinking about it

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Don't limit yourself to photography as inspiration especially if we're talking fantasy look at paintings and illustration. I think the shot of the model touching the water features a lovely classical pose that shows wonderful expressiveness and form. The scene is simple and made up of strong elements. You get a genuine sense of connection to the environment and it's playful and much more natural. The reflection of the leg and ripples in the water are cool. Technically it's still sloppy. It needs better lighting and a better crop, probably a lower angle, but it gets much closer to evoking something other than awkwardness than the rest in the series.

If you are struggling with managing things on site you need a more thorough plan. Especially when working with a model you aren't familiar with and especially for nudes. Find some locations that are visually arresting beforehand. Think about how your model can use the expressiveness of their body to play in that form and make that connection. It's a cliche but if you must, tell a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
In addition to the lightning I think you've run into the same basic problem with these as you did in the forest. It doesn't seem like you have a good grasp of how to make use of the environment. In all of these there's stuff around (plants windows grass etc) but they don't work either in terms of composition or theme. You need to get rid of the setting or use it better because it looks messy and pointless. A random assortment of objects including an awkwardly posed woman