Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
q != e

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That's what I'm reading about the focal lengths. 70-100mm ish.

Thing to remember about going wide with a DSLR is that the crop factor is just a crop out of the middle, it doesn't fix lens distortion if it's severe enough, and getting close with a wide lens could make it worse. But if it worked, it worked. :)

I'm in a class where we will have to shoot some portraits with film, and I'm wondering if my SMC-Takumar 135mm would be good at it. If it's too tight, I think the depth of field might be too narrow, but otherwise it might be an interesting portrait lens.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 22, 2009

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fragrag posted:

Not sure if you guys can see this, it's set to private on Flickr to avoid ire from my clients.

This is probably my most favourite portrait recently, though the godawful shadow on the topright is annoying my, but there was nowhere else I could have repositioned without it disturbing the picture.
Also, overdone vignette, although that's my personal taste, and the guy wincing a bit, which I noticed only later.

I agree about the shadow in the top right. The vignetting is obnoxious, although I have a strong dislike for anything more than tiny, incidental vignetting. I'm not sure how I feel about the shadow in front, the only thing I get about it is that it adds to the linearity of the picture but just their bodies might be enough. I might have tried to fillflash that out.