Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Rvrnd. Riot posted:

This is Henry.

Beagle x Cattle Dog? He's really cute. Does he loooooove food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

She looks like a Labby pit mix to me. :3: Can't wait for more photos.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Her ears are amazing :3:.

I see Pit in the face/head. Also my first dog was Lab/Shepherd and was named Lucy.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The more I interact with Pistol the more I'm thinking something hound-ish is a distinct possibility. He must Sniff All The Things on walks and will do a combo howl and ACD yodel (but also has the high pitched ACD voice so it is the most pathetic thing. His whines warble like an opera singer. I should try to record it sometime).

Maybe his Christmas present will be a DNA test.

I could be wrong but I think a lot of the DNA tests do not include ACD in their databases, which makes the results inaccurate. If I'm wrong let me know, because I have this suspicion my dog is at least part ACD, too.

I'm living vicariously through your Pistol n' Max posts, though!

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I know at least the Wisdom Panel ones do.

It seems that it's mostly the various bully breeds and really mutted up mixes that it has trouble with.

Oh man, good to know! That's pretty tempting, then. Do you really think Major has Saint Bernard? I know he's a big (handsome) guy...

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Found a picture of Major's potential mom on petfinder:

Dat giant slobbery mouth. :3:

edit:
Haha, she even came in to the pound with an ACD mix that particular time. They were reclaimed together.

Something about this guy's head and muzzle shape really reminds me of Hambone, wow.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

wargames posted:

So I have a big orange dog and have had him for years and I have no clue what he is.

I see Shar Pei and Lab, possibly GSD as well looking at the last pic. I could be totally off the mark though. I do know I wanna squish dat dawg.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate
We just got Hambone's Wisdom Panel results! My guess was GSD/Husky/ Australian Shepherd, so I am partially correct!

I am going to go on and believe that there is Vallhund in him, since that would explain his long/ low body shape, and husky-looking attributes to some extent. Plus they are awesome.

Reference photos:

My question for you doggy coat genetics goons is...where do you think the black and white ticking is coming from? The Aussie? Ham is tri-color (I think?), and the spots on his legs are subtly brown, not black, and before his face went gray, one side was slightly tan-ish/cream.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

I think Hambone would be a creeping tan (which is black and tan/tri color with an extra modifier I think?) with extreme piebald white and ticking. Creeping tan is fairly common in both GSDs and Aussies so I'm not surprised to see those in the mix. I've seen a number of aussies with ticking too so that's probably where that's coming from.

The minor breeds in those tests are always pretty laughable but I could see some BYB mini/toy aussie getting it on with the neighbor's GSD/something shorthaired carrying white mix. Something terrier-y would be my guess because wisdom panel seems to have trouble with terrier-y dogs.

Thank you for this! Now I have another search term, creeping tan, I didn't know about! Do you have any recommended reading material on dog coat genetics, or dog genetics in general?

Terrier is possible, for sure, and I know WP is bad at those. Ham is intensely prey-driven, and is excellent at the "grab-bite" phase of the drive (see: consumed bunny; captured, shaken possum (both possum and Ham made it out of that one unscathed, somehow)), but he's also really herdy, and I know prey drive goes hand in hand with that. Yay mutts!

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

RandomBlue posted:

Is Shar Pei mix your code for Pit mix? Because those are pit faces.

I actually see both. Look at the set of the ears.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Carmant posted:

What kind of dog

Cute dog. (It appears to be a husky mix.) Maybe shepherd too. Dunno.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

UserErr0r posted:

What kind of doggy is my doggy

Besides a lovable furball

Very mixed up Brussels Griffon? I'm pretty bad with the small terrier crosses. Her/his snout is definitely muuuuch longer than a normal Brussels would be but, IDK, maybe it's the coat making me see that? Maybe Border Terrier mix?

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I see Westie and Brussels-Griffon, possibly also Jack Russell (ears)

Definitely agree on the Jack now you said it! I see it.

UserErr0r posted:

Besides a lovable furball

Does he act like a Jack? High prey-drive?

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

UserErr0r posted:

Not too sure what you mean, but if he sees birds in the yard/trees, he stops whatever he is doing and goes after them.
He's okay with the neighbor's huge dog, but if he sees the landlords dogs that are no larger than him, he goes into bark mode.
Also digs holes. like crazy.

Haha, that actually sounds about right. He's a cute little monster!

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Eifert Posting posted:

I see Lab and hound myself.
Agree with this.

Ears are classic hound shape.
Eyeset and lids classic Lab, to me.

How old / lbs? in this picture. The upturn of her snoot at this angle has me seeing Pit or at least some kind of bully thing.

She's a cute lady, most importantly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

The Jumpoff posted:

a Generic breed dog

Objectively the best dogs though.

The Jumpoff posted:

EDIT: If you want/need more photos I have about 100 of her at various ages.

Yes do it :swoon: