Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Phisty posted:

My dog that I inherited from my mom, Nanook. Was sold to her as a shih-tzu/minature poodle mix but that seems off. In certain lighting you can see some "apricot" tha I'm guessing is from the poodle in him. He only weighs about ten pounds.

If any one wants to tell what they think he is, I'd be happy to hear it.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

The feathery fur and his head shape make me think Cavalier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

snarkcookie posted:

Keira is just chillin'. She sits in the strangest ways.

Pretty unlikely, but she looks a lot like an Australian Koolie with the blue merle colouring and those big ears. :)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Some girl in a dog-related LJ community has this ACD/shepherd mix. Even though he's in perfect shape, he looks like a tube (with really muscular legs).

Click here for the full 1023x682 image.

Stunning dog though.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Lab x Border collie maybe?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Gypsy is gorgeous. I can definitely see the ACD in that last shot.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

demolition rickshaw posted:

This is Roxanne. She is a mystery.

She looks like a corgi x pomeranian to me, but the size definitely throws me off. Maybe rough collie or something similarly hairy!

Farlow is giving you a Class 10 Stink-Eye, haha.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The big pink nose, eyes and the curly tail makes me think distant shar pei. But I can definitely see shepherd of some sort in there.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Silver Nitrate posted:

I'm getting this dog on Thursday. What do you think she is? She's full grown and weighs about 60 pounds.

The shelter says saluki/greyhound, but her coat is really wiry.

I see dobermann in there I think.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
She looks a fair bit like a heeler x shepherd that was in a local rescue recently.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Gosh, they look like sisters almost! Definitely the same face. I wish you all the best (worst) with finding her a new home.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Her ears and jowls look kind of Great Dane-ish to me. She doesn't seem big enough for an 8 month old Dane though, they're normally reaching 80-100lbs as far as I know.

She's cute and reminds me of a jowly mastiff x dane that I desperately wanted to adopt last year. :)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

harskarenjag posted:

Charlemagne, a miniature Schnauzer mutt (of what else I have no idea), the first day I got him:

I'd say the rest of him is poodle, judging by the hair and the colour.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Daemoxx posted:

This dawg. :3:

I definitely see lab. Does the white patch look like it has smudgy spots of black? If so, it might be ticking rather than merle - http://abnormality.purpleflowers.net/genetics/ticking.htm That points towards some cattledog possibly.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
It is adorable! Loaf looks like a Tibetan Spaniel mix to me. Possibly with corgi? She has a weird coat for a tibbie.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Bloomington posted:

I'd think that, but she's much leaner and a tad shorter than a regular wolfhound, since she's about the same height as our standard black poodle. I suppose an Irish Wolfhound mix would make sense, but that doesn't appear to be very common to my knowledge.

She could be a deerhound mix in that case. Or it could be something weird like giant schnauzer x lab.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The variation between those three littermates is amazing! Ella looks like a rottie, Charybdis looks like a beagle x pug or something.

Crossposting from the Yappy Rat thread... any ideas on our new foster's breeds? She's on the big end of small dogness, her ideal weight would be around 12kg (26lb) I think. Her fur is so very soft and her tail does a full loop, but she doesn't hold it over her back.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
That's what we thought from the pound photos as well, but she's just way too big. I'd say she's almost the length of a border collie but her legs are short.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Skizzles posted:

Aussies aren't the only ones with those markings/colors. I'm not very good with terrier ID, but there's obviously a lot of terrier in there. Looks like a wire-haired Jack Russell mix to me. Anyone else see it?

Adorable. :3:

edit: His coloring reminds me a lot of a Catahoula, but that's about it. Someone crammed a Catahoula in a Jack Russell body, mystery solved, hth

Dachshunds can be merle ('dapple'), and that face definitely looks like a dachshund to me. But mixed with something taller, maybe poodle? Poodle coats can go weird and wiry when they're crossed.

Snow Job, I see border collie x golden. I have a feeling she'd be bigger if that were the case though?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I see pomeranian or papillon mix in that business. :) Possibly even a mix of the two.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I would have said all dane as well. She is beautiful. I wish she were mine. :)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Derp. Wrong thread.

Have a picture of our foster without all the hair to aid in guessing.

He's right around 30lb/14kg.

The right ear sticks up all the time, the left is floppy sometimes. :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 24, 2011

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Looks like it could well be crossed with a maltese or something similar. She has that wavy coat that poodle mixes get sometimes as well.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Vintimus Prime posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what Leia is?

When I got her, the humane society said German Shepherd/Husky cross. What do you guys think?

How big is she? Her face makes me think malamute more than husky.

Either way she is adorable. I love big fluffy dogs.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

LOLlyGagMe posted:

Lots of people tell us he's a good looking dog. They don't come home to this.

I assume you're Aussie based on the Advance food? :)

He looks like he could be staffy x heeler with some kelpie or collie thrown in. It's hard to tell really, he's probably a mutt of a mutt. But there's nothing wrong with that!

Vintimus Prime, the DNA tests are only as accurate as the data the company has. Some can give you a good idea but if the dog is really mixed, it may come out with some screwy stuff.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Vintimus Prime posted:

She's gorgeous. :swoon:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Sutureself posted:

Here's Barkley again (last time was like 3 years ago with waffleimages). I just saw in the wikipedia pictures of Australian kelpies that the black and tan ones look a lot like him! Are kelpies common at all in south Florida? He was listed as a lab/gsd, and I think he looks a little dobermany. But he's 60 lbs (55 if he wasn't a bit fat), which I think is a bit low for a mix of larger breeds.

Anyway, he's a cool dude.

If I saw that dog on the street I would say he's a kelpie. I don't know how common they are in the States though, and he doesn't look much like a show-bred one.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
This is my friend's dog. She knows what his parents are (both purebred, different breeds), but I'd be interested to see what y'all guess. :)

He weighs about 80lb.

His friend on the left is a kelpie with a glandular problem...

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

cryingscarf posted:

Akita/something for sure. No clue what the something is.

What kind of collar attachment is that? I have never seen that before.

He's akita x whippet! The dam was the whippet, poor thing. Congrats on picking up the akita everyone. He has those silly triangular ears from the akita, combined with the floppy whippet rose ears.

The collar is a head halter that is attached to the collar, similar to this one. He'd slipped the halter off his nose in these photos though. (Bad dawgs itt)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

TVs Ian posted:

How does that even happen? Did someone scale a fence?

Someone owned two unsterilised dogs, guess what happened?? :downs: Then the mum got surrendered to the pound and all the puppies were born there.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I'd stake my life on Australian Cattledog!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Aww, she's really cute. She almost looks Italian Greyhound-ish but I might be biased because I saw one today.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
It looks like an expert's dog I think! Certainly has those weird fluffy ears. :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

This adorable little son of a bitch wandered up to my mother's house after the hurricane storms blew in. He's someone's pet, she knows he is as he does things like hang in front of the refrigerator and whines and hop up onto the bed once she goes to sleep. She posted pictures around her neighborhood and called the local animal shelters, vets, and pounds to see if anyone lost a dog fitting this description, but it'd be easier if she had a dog make/model. Any ideas?

I think Shih tzu x poodle personally.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
You're right that a cross-breed may be more robust than a purebred, but it's very hard to predict. It may not necessarily end up with a genetic disease particular to one breed, but could still be affected by conditions that are common to both, like hip dysplasia.

The temperament thing would also be hard to pick. Newfies and huskies have completely different temperaments. You might end up with a very strong-willed, stubborn dog or a laid-back lazy dog.

For that reason, I'd only suggest going for a mix if you're getting it from a rescue. They would know what their temperaments are like and be able to match you to the dog that fits. I wouldn't personally seek out someone breeding them or having 'oops' litters of newfie/husky.

People who are more into dog breeds than I might be able to suggest primitive looking breeds with a more mellow temperament. Samoyeds come to mind?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Dogs with long, soft hair like shih tzu and maltese can have the gene for wire coats, it just gets hidden when they have long hair. Once it gets crossed with a short-haired dog, the wire gene shows in the coat again because short hair is dominant. So I think the test results are entirely plausible. :)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

His paws are ENORMOUS so I have a feeling he's going to get a lot bigger and fill out, which is why I think he's mixed with something big in addition to possibly a terrier, but I don't think great pyrenees is it.

Here's another shot:

I'm in semi-rural Texas so farm dog mixes are pretty prevalent.

(edit: if anyone in Texas wants him he's up for adoption)
He kind of looks like Major with a pointier snout. I could see Great Pyr in him if someone told me that's what he is, wouldn't be my immediate thought though.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
They're all adorable :3: Slobodan looks more Doberman to me, his face seems too fine for a rottie. He could be Rottweiler crossed with something lighter built though.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Aravenna posted:

Does anyone else's mutt have spotted (black and pink) paw pads and different colored nails? His toes are all white so the spotting doesn't correspond to markings on his feet. Some of his nails are white, some are black, and some are streaked with black and white. The white/black/streaked nails don't correspond with the pink or black spotting either. Is this typical of any particular breed, or is he just weird? Why do you have such weird feet dog, why

The streaking isn't an injury or anything because I took the picture below in March, and I just checked that streaked nail on his right front foot (second from the outside, it's black on one side and white on the other) and it's exactly the same still.

My parents' dog is a maltese x shih tzu and has spotty paw pads. His nails are a mixture of colours too. I think it just corresponds with their fur/skin colour. If they have spotted skin it'll carry over onto their paw pads and nails.

^ Rocky looks like he has a wire coat in that first photo. It means he'd have to have some heritage with either a wiry-coated breed or a long-coated bearded breed. He's also sable so maybe he has some Airedale in him, that would give the sable colour and the wire coat. But sable and wire coat are dominant to pretty much everything else so it's not much to go on. :)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Given the amount of white on her, BC is plausible. Maybe it's just me but I don't see the GSD. She could just be a farmdog mutt :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Yeah, that probably is a pug x beagle. Very common 'designer dog'. Also one that I can't help but kind of like because they are pug-ish without all the breathing issues since they're not so brachycephalic.

Be prepared for the stubbornest dog ever. It's a good thing he's adorable. :)