Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I got my eleven year old girl, Jess, seven years ago from my local RSPCA. They said she was a Staffie/Beagle, and I'm just curious if that's right. She definitely has the Staff personality (and what we call her Beagle eyes and tail), but it could be a case of simply seeing what we want to.

(Images small so as not to break the table.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

cryingscarf posted:

Meet Dexter.

He's obviously Adorable Beast crossed with Cute. Obviously.

That said, he looks a lot like my broken-coated JRT, when she was that age. (Linking because she isn't a mutt :ssh:) He's definitely at least half JRT/PRT. Is he more than half coloured, though? He could be crossed with a Patterdale terrier, maybe.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

GidgetNomates posted:

I posted my dog, Quincy, in here sometime last summer after I got him. Man, he's grown a lot since then. He's not gotten too much bigger but his face has matured so much. My little man is growin up :(

Quincy is definitely, imo, a Jack Russell crossed with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or Pit Bull. He's adorable, and such a weirdly awesome mix of JRT and a bully dog. :3: Wanna hug your dawg.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

GidgetNomates posted:

Hehe, thanks. JRT/pit bull has been my best guess so far.

If you were in the UK, based on his size I'd probably say staffie/JRT more than pibble, but (British) staffies aren't too common in the USA, I believe. He's definitely got a bully face though :)

GidgetNomates posted:

I think the thing that confuses me the most with JRT/pit bull though is his ears. Where the heck did he get those big pointy ears???

I have no idea. My JRT pup has huge bat-like ears too. I don't think Lola got the message that JRTs are supposed to have small, dainty ears.

Pit bulls and JRTs both can have big, pointed ears. It's a (big?) fault for JRTs in conformation, not sure about pit bulls though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Silver Nitrate posted:

Amending my guess to mostly Doberman x shed monster

I'd guess (BYB?) Doberman and some sort of hound. She might just have doberman'y colouring though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Rhymes With Clue posted:

So here he is:

Border Collie/Australian Cattle Dog? He's hellishly cute.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Tojai posted:

This is Bella:

Yeah, there's definitely pit bull in there. :) She's gorgeous.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Candy Dawn posted:

Love this thread! I've never known what my childhood dog was so I gathered some pics of her, maybe you all can tell me! We got her from a pound back in 94. Such a great sweet dog but SOOOO much energy and dug holes like crazy and FINALLY calmed down by age 11. 9_9

Anyways here is my sweet Rina! What the hell was she??

Top-left makes me think Yorkie cross.
Top-right makes me think Golden Retriever cross.
Bottom left makes me think Heinz 57 :v:
Bottom right makes me think x hound cross.

Your dog is basically 100% purebred scruffy cute.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

gourami posted:

Here's my muttley, Balu, whom I adopted from a rescue group a few months ago. He's 8 months old and weighs about 13 pounds. Good little apartment dog. Very timid, yet overreacts to everything.

He's obviously got some chihuahua in him, and his body's a little long so I suspect some dachshund. What do you guys think?

What you've got there is definitely a JRT mix or BYB/milled JRT. He looks very similiar to my girl :3:

And yeah welcome to the wonderful world of sensitive, reactive, nervy terrier fun.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

SuperTwo posted:

Major is 100% awesome and that's all there is to it! Seriously though I see the Rottie, he has the same shape apart from that I really don't know. Also I love his butt feathers.

Now that Rosie has lost a little weight she actually has some visable butt feathering too, it was hiding in her chub! She also has feathering on that web of skin between leg and body.

I'm more and more convinced that Rosie is Border Collie/Staffy or BC/Pit.

She looks pretty similar to those 'borderjack' sporty dawgs. From those angles, I can't even really see any bully (staffie or pibble) in there.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Leodon posted:

I think I figured out half of my mystery shelter puppy, Lurch (see above). I noticed that he has webbed toes so looked up breeds with that trait and... German Wirehaired Pointer explains the webbed toes, merle double coat and general shape. He's definitely mixed with something else which will probably remain a mystery.

That there is a Jack face. I'd say he's almost definitely JRT/Doxie, not GWP.

How old is he and what's his size/weight?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Jack Russells can hit 15'' tall and 18 pounds within breed standard, completely ignoring the existence of BYBs breeding for dogs that are bigger/smaller than standard.

He looks a lot, face-wise, like this dog I found on google, a JRT/beagle:

Are German Wirehaired Pointers common in your area?

Lurch's paws don't look like they'd suit a GWP. They look like lil diggin' paws :3: What's his behaviour like? You say he doesn't point--what does he enjoy doing?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

orenji posted:

I was inspired by the doggie DNA thing - and am going to get Benjamin tested. Place your bets ladies and gents - what mix do you think he is?!

JRT/chihuahua I think.

Periodiko posted:

So I've met a really wonderful dog at a local shelter and I'm 90% of the way to adopting him. He's totally charming, super friendly, and the fact that he looks like a big teddy bear certainly doesn't hurt. Only question I've had is if I stick with his shelter name, "Randall", or go with a new one. Anyone have any suggestions? He's a super friendly fluff ball that got returned recently because his adopters were idiots who thought having a drunken friend at a party try to "train" him was a good idea, literally the first week he was adopted, resulting in not one, but two separate bites. It's funny because he's been 100% the sweetest dog I've met at the shelter, very people oriented, and constantly looking back at you with his tail wagging, quick to respond to commands.

He looks golden retriever/chow to me. Whatever mix he is though he's absolutely adorable.

Just think if you keep Randall, it'll probably shorten to Randy and do you want to be shouting Randy in the middle of the park? :v: (Incidentally this is the reason I could never name a dog Puck, no matter how awesome that would be.)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

LeapFrog posted:

This is Poppy. She's a Basset Hound/Bluetick Coonhound/Lab/Husky/Shar-pei mix.....I don't know how she looks the way she does.

Are you certain of that? That's a really odd mixture of breeds, she just looks like a mutty collie cross to me! Pretty dawg though

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Engineer Lenk posted:

Meet Ru:

Ru was billed as a Schipperke mix at the shelter. I don't know whether to buy it. He's mostly black, has a foxy face and mid-length coarse-ish fur. But he also has a very lithe build - he weighs 14 lbs and stands 6 inches taller than my 12 lb Westie x Maltese. Any ideas?

Schipperke or small fuzzy black dog mixed with mutty terrier. Could you get a photo of him standing or stacked or something?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Whippet or Iggy x Chihuahua x something (for colour and bulk), I'd say. That doesn't look like a terrier face, and definitely not a JRT face.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

jgrrr posted:

here's Phoebe.

Pit or pit mix. That is a classic bully head. Do you have a better full body shot of her?

And if she is pit (as is likely) you should read up on the Bully Breed thread, and think about *not* taking her to 'the park' if it's a dog park. You also shouldn't try to downplay her pittiness if she is: they are prone to dog aggression and you do have to take that into consideration with how you exercise her, etc.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

He weighs about 80lb.

Akita/collie? I dunno, something in that face really reminds me of a herder.

Fat Lazy Unicorn posted:

This is my dog Boomer

She's the spitting image of a friend's collie/retriever. I definitely wouldn't say FCR - her face isn't right for it. Lab/collie and golden/collie are pretty common mixes though!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

J Greedy posted:

Was really looking forward to being able to take him to dog parks but he gets pretty dominant around other dogs, if not overly aggressive, he usually provokes them. Was hoping I could socialize him to other dogs somehow. I probably need to check out the bully thread as well.

He's a pit mix, so dog parks are (as with the other poster) a bad choice. You should also definitely read the bully thread. He's also not being "dominant"; more likely, he's displaying signs of DA which further mean he shouldn't be at a dog park or loose around strange dogs. That's just part of owning a bully breed or bully mix.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

He is 1/4th English Toy Terrier, 1/4th Fox Terrier, 1/2 Lhasa Apso

How weird! With that colouring, body shape and face, my guess was going to be hound/chi. I never would have thought he was the mix he is!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

He just looks like a BYB collie to me. Do you have any photos of him standing? It's hard to ID from a front and side lying shot :shobon:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

DracoArgentum posted:

My friend sent me a new picture of her pup. She's about 2 years old and just around 40 lbs, she said.

Pit bull/hound?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Your pit bull mix is tasting your daughter's face, before eating her. I suggest you take an immediate course of action*.

* that is to say, take more photos of them together :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

That face does look pretty cairnish to me, but a lot of scruffy brown terrier mixes look quite alike. She's so adorably scruffy! Maybe cairn/yorkie? I doubt there's any norfolk in there unless you live in a crazy place where they're popular; they tend to be fairly rare dogs.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Or a lab/collie, I've seen a lot of those that look very similar to her!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Schizotek posted:

So this is Raziela.

A six month old "Heeler/Mix" according to the shelters site. Can any of you guess what the other half is? Because I sure as hell can't. I'm about 98% sure I'm adopting her. Just gotta do the meet'n'greet.

Could be heeler/pit, but a lot of heelers have broad heads so more pictures are definitely needed.

I hope you like your dogs batshit crazy!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I'm not really seeing the patterdale there and I'm a terrier nut :shobon:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Roargasm posted:

This is Faith, just adopted her :) She's part lab and part something else...does anyone have an idea? She's two years old and only 45-50 lbs

Maybe something houndy? I can sorta see hound in there.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I don't see much in the way of JRT there. I'd say there's more pit bull or staffie or something in here (depending where you are) than jrt.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I'd say pit/scenthound of some kind. Beagle would fit. I wouldn't take her to the dog park, just let her interact with dogs through arranged playdates and whatnot. My dog is a staffie/beagle (according to rspca), for comparison:

rysfade posted:

The shelter I got her from is in north central CA, about 50 minutes north of Sacramento. She was listed by the family that surrendered her as a straight Bull Terrier mix, but I don't know if I see that at all. The face just doesn't match up for me. I think there was a couple posts last year discussing the possibility of pit x some type of herding breed mix, which is entirely possible from what I saw of dogs in that area. (Secretly I just want to figure out which thread to post her quirks in. :D)

Nah, I don't think there's BT in there. She definitely looks bully enough to go in the Bully Breed thread though ;)

Fraction fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 7, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Boston crossed with a plain ol', muttyish scruffy terrier would definitely be a possibility too imo.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Great Pyr mix? Of course :allears:

Boxer looks right though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Yeah I was thinking there's chihuahua in there somewhere, too.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Border collie/spaniel and pug/cairn terrier maybe?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Foxy posted:

I dunno man, Basenjis are particularly rare, it'd be hard to find a BYB with them, and a cross like that would be equally hard to find. I personally see generic shepherd/lab, and that would also explain the vocalizations (shepherds make all kinds of weird noises) and the prey drive.

Purebred Derp-Hound, basically. American Yellow Dog.

I thought lab/hound, but that'd explain it just the same V:shobon:V Hounds aren't exactly known for normal barking.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Jack Russell/chihuahua.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

He's just a generic black and tan coloured hound mix imo. Maybe lab/hound.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Some sort of small terrier mix? :shrug:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

JRTs do range pretty massively in size, but there does look a touch of chihuahua in there. JRT/Chi is a common combination and throws a lot of different looking dogs.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Double Plus Good posted:

Another shelter dog for you guys to take a crack at. This one was listed as a "Pomeranian mix."

American Eskimo/chi is my guess

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Skizzles posted:

It's really hard to tell when they're young, but he looks like a GSD mix, which is what I'd tell people to shut them up.

He looks like a BC (/GSD mix) to me :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Huge Liability posted:

Now, how could you say that like it's a bad thing?

My grumpy old grandad babysit him over the weekend and greeted our homecoming with, "YOUR DOG IS A DESTROYER."

It's just a joke cause my dog is a bc who everyone thinks is a GSD or GSD mix~~