Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
Does anyone have any experience with Shinko tires? I need a new set but $350-400 for a good set of Dunlops is really going to hurt my wallet right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xanieth posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Shinko tires? I need a new set but $350-400 for a good set of Dunlops is really going to hurt my wallet right now.

What are you planning on using them for?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Retarded Pimp posted:

Motion Pro tire spoon
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/65/4482/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Spoon-Tire-Iron.aspx

I'd recommend one of these too, a bead buddy, it hooks onto a spoke and keeps the bead inside the rim while you're getting the rest of the tire in.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/65/4458/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Bead-Buddy-Tire-Tool.aspx

Hey, I happen to have a 'gift check' from those guys for $40 from buying my tires. Sold!

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

What are you planning on using them for?

Just going to and from work mostly, but on some longer rides as well. The roads here are mostly straight-aways with gentle curves.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Xanieth posted:

Just going to and from work mostly, but on some longer rides as well. The roads here are mostly straight-aways with gentle curves.

I've got Shinkos on my Ninja 250, and while I have no experience with other tires to compare to, they've been pretty decent so far. I've done most of my miles commuting, with a few hundred on canyon roads, and they've performed fine for both so far.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xanieth posted:

If you're not going to be using them for any sort of aggressive riding, I've heard decent reviews on the Advance 005s from casual riders. I wouldn't trust them for anything aggressive.

However, you can pick up a set of Pilot Road2s online for around 300$.

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SWMT&Category_Code=PilotRoad2

I'd strongly push you in the direction of those instead, they're a much more trusted/well known brand. Other tires to look at would be things like Metzler Z6s, Pilot Roads (the original, if you can find some that were made relatively recently).

Can you mount and balance them on your own or for cheap?

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
There's a local shop around here that will mount and balance for about $40. I'm leaning toward the Shinkos right now just because I just bought this bike and it still needs some work to be tip-top and I'm sort of strapped for cash right now. Plus, the tires on it right now are drat near slicks now so if it rains I'm hosed.

I think my plan will be get these tires in the meantime, get the parts I need to get my bike running smoothly, and then 3-4 months later pick up some better tires when I can afford to. I just started riding a couple weeks ago with a Ducati Monster (after taking the MSF of course) so I'm not doing any crazy turns at speed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xanieth posted:

There's a local shop around here that will mount and balance for about $40. I'm leaning toward the Shinkos right now just because I just bought this bike and it still needs some work to be tip-top and I'm sort of strapped for cash right now. Plus, the tires on it right now are drat near slicks now so if it rains I'm hosed.

I think my plan will be get these tires in the meantime, get the parts I need to get my bike running smoothly, and then 3-4 months later pick up some better tires when I can afford to. I just started riding a couple weeks ago with a Ducati Monster (after taking the MSF of course) so I'm not doing any crazy turns at speed.

That seems reasonable enough. Inspect your shinkos very carefully for any weirdness when you get them, make sure they haven't been damaged in transport and that everything looks good. The shop should check them over too, but it's one of those things that's always good to check.

Don't pay more than 200ish$ for the shinkos.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I thought everything shinko ever made was complete and utter poo poo.

I've heard that their slicks are likely to get you killed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

I thought everything shinko ever made was complete and utter poo poo.

I've heard that their slicks are likely to get you killed.

Ehh, from what I've heard the street tires are fine, because you simply don't push them that hard. The slick/DOT shinkos will go off on you though. They're super popular for drag racing though, because they're cheap as hell and soft. I used to scoff at cheng shin tires until I rode a set of their trials tires on a KLX. Yeah, they're soft and they wear fast, but they stick drat well. If he's only planning on riding the advances for a few months as a new rider, he'll probably be fine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

well, my bike is in for its 6k service and it does need tires before I go on my trip so I got the Pilot Road 2's. My local shop got me an almost-as-good-as-online deal so I went with them. I'd rather establish a good relationship with them and it beats rolling the tires down the street with a stick to their shop if I bought them online. I'll report once I've done a few hundred miles on how I like them.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Back in the Spring when I was getting my bike ready to get back on the road, I ditched the 7 year old tires and got some Bridgestone S11 Spitfires on a great deal. The difference was astounding! Only thing my dumb rear end forgot to ask was the proper pressure to put in, resulting in me running a bit low after a while. Now that I've got them back to where they should be, the bike feels so much better.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I had a set of Shinko 003 Stealth softs on my F4i. $165 and the rear lasted 4500 miles. The front still had a few thousand left but I changed it with the rear.

It was a great tire for the street, commuting and aggressive street riding, but when I took it to the track (my 2nd track day ever) at the end of the day it was going off and caused a bad tank slapper that almost threw me off the bike.

So I would recommend Shinko's for anything short of going to the track, as long as you can be very aware of your limits and accept the limited wear (at least on the softer compounds)

But if you have the money, get a set of Pilot Power 2CT's. I liked them more than the Bridgestone BT016 I have now actually.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Random tire question. Noticed my tires were getting low (scooter, still should apply to bikes) so I stopped to fill them up. As soon as I filled them it was as if i was riding a whole different bike. Everything felt better. But the thing is it seems like it wants to turn. My bikes only happy when its on its side through a turn. I was thinking maybe the center of my tire is worn off so its easier to ride on the side as if in a turn. Maybe this is a common phenomenon. Either way I'm probably overdue for some new tires, so with my next check il get some.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

philkop posted:

Random tire question. Noticed my tires were getting low (scooter, still should apply to bikes) so I stopped to fill them up. As soon as I filled them it was as if i was riding a whole different bike. Everything felt better. But the thing is it seems like it wants to turn. My bikes only happy when its on its side through a turn. I was thinking maybe the center of my tire is worn off so its easier to ride on the side as if in a turn. Maybe this is a common phenomenon. Either way I'm probably overdue for some new tires, so with my next check il get some.

They get harder to turn, not easier, when they flatten out. But I'd guess that you had spent so much time fighting the bars because of the low PSI that when you filled it back up to a proper spec, it felt like it always wanted to turn because you weren't relaxed and off the bars.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Z3n posted:

They get harder to turn, not easier, when they flatten out. But I'd guess that you had spent so much time fighting the bars because of the low PSI that when you filled it back up to a proper spec, it felt like it always wanted to turn because you weren't relaxed and off the bars.

And by riding at low pressure all the time, he's cupped his tires. It's the less obvious version of squaring them off.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Any longterm damage? Not too long obviously, but i wont have the funds for new tires for another couple of checks (4-6 weeks) and yeah they are cupped, noticed that when filling

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Anyone have experience with IRC? I got the IRC Road Winner front tire, sadly tossing the punctured Pirelli Sport Demon off the '98 Ninja that I just bought.
I did a google search and this came up: http://www.shopwiki.com/_IRC+-+RX-01+Road+Winner+Tires

I wanted the bike now, I punctured the tire when I was coming down with a fever and didn't touch the bike for the whole weekend as I stayed in bed fighting my fever. Now that I'm walking around again, I took the bike out today to have it looked it. Tire was a goner, and it'd take a week for the store I was at to get a Pirelli replacement in supply, and the guy suggested this one, saying I'd get it ready by Thursday.

Did I make a good decision? I put only a few hours on my very first motorcycle and I'm pissed like hell that my front tire had to go out and delay my riding time before the cold comes in.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Just bought some Pirrelli Sport Demons off BikeBandit. I called every place in the town and only one sold Motorcycle tires, and the prices were horribly expensive. I'm talking $220 just for a middle of the road Rear tire. With shipping and a cool bandanna I ordered, it came to $238.

Now to find someone to install them. Or do it myself!

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
I'm stuck on Long Island for the next year and the prices out here for mounting a tire are just outrageous.

I'm looking for sport touring tires for my GS500, not sure I want BT45's again, but then again I don't want to keep the bike that much longer so I don't want to get too spendy. Any recommendation on mid-range ST tires, preferrably radials for a smallish bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

Anyone have experience with IRC? I got the IRC Road Winner front tire, sadly tossing the punctured Pirelli Sport Demon off the '98 Ninja that I just bought.
I did a google search and this came up: http://www.shopwiki.com/_IRC+-+RX-01+Road+Winner+Tires

I wanted the bike now, I punctured the tire when I was coming down with a fever and didn't touch the bike for the whole weekend as I stayed in bed fighting my fever. Now that I'm walking around again, I took the bike out today to have it looked it. Tire was a goner, and it'd take a week for the store I was at to get a Pirelli replacement in supply, and the guy suggested this one, saying I'd get it ready by Thursday.

Did I make a good decision? I put only a few hours on my very first motorcycle and I'm pissed like hell that my front tire had to go out and delay my riding time before the cold comes in.

I'd recommend waiting on the Pirelli just because then you've got matching tires front and rear. I don't know how the IRC is going to interact with the profile of the Pirelli, probably not a big deal, but why risk it?

RichBomb posted:

I'm stuck on Long Island for the next year and the prices out here for mounting a tire are just outrageous.

I'm looking for sport touring tires for my GS500, not sure I want BT45's again, but then again I don't want to keep the bike that much longer so I don't want to get too spendy. Any recommendation on mid-range ST tires, preferrably radials for a smallish bike?

Original pilot roads can be found for cheap.

philkop, your tires should be fine. Just keep an eye on them, as running them deflated can cause damage to them.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
Got my tires Today. I spent a couple of hours going to every department store, Auto parts store and hardware store in the town and not a one had any tire tools. I ended up grabbing a couple of slim crowbars which i'm going to take a grinder to and MacGuyver up my own. I'll install them tomorrow, since i've got Friday and Saturday off from work.

What lube should I use to get the tire over the rim? I can't find just out and out Tire lube. Some people say to use soapy water, but others say that can pool and rust the inside of your rims. It would seem to me though, that once you got the tire on, before you seat the bead, you could just wipe off the soapy water and bam, no more rust. Would a water based lubricant work? I happen to have plenty of that. :a2m:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I got my new Avons in for the Husky today. Found out that the front axle has been torqued down to about 20 mile-tons.

earlswagger
Dec 12, 2004

Chairon posted:

What lube should I use to get the tire over the rim? I can't find just out and out Tire lube. Some people say to use soapy water, but others say that can pool and rust the inside of your rims. It would seem to me though, that once you got the tire on, before you seat the bead, you could just wipe off the soapy water and bam, no more rust. Would a water based lubricant work? I happen to have plenty of that. :a2m:

NAPA has a tire mounting lubricant. They used to just carry ru-glide but now they have one that is supposed to dry without residue.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Chairon posted:

Got my tires Today. I spent a couple of hours going to every department store, Auto parts store and hardware store in the town and not a one had any tire tools. I ended up grabbing a couple of slim crowbars which i'm going to take a grinder to and MacGuyver up my own. I'll install them tomorrow, since i've got Friday and Saturday off from work.

I've used everything from pledge to soapy water.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
I'd think about anything would work short of motor oil. Electrician's cable pull lube, Vaseline, spray silicon, white lithium, dish soap...

Probably best to just get tire munting lube though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So, here we go.

I have four bikes in the garage that need tires.

1979 GS425E - 18x3 front 18x3.5 rear
This bike has two brand new tires on it. But they were brand new in 1981... There will be a 5 minute long burnout in the driveway to take care of that rear tire.

1980 GS550E - 110/90-19(19x3.25) front 120/90-18(18x4) Rear
There are two of these. I have BT45's on my GS5/650, and I like them just fine, but I'd like to try something else. Provided I don't get "good" suggestions I'm going with sport demons. Since I have so many to play with, I"m happy to experiment here, any suggestions? IRC? Cheng Shin? Shinko? etc?

1983 GS550ES - 100/90-16 front 120/90-18 rear
I'm actually running 120's front and rear on this bike. BT45's, and they're wearing like rocks. I can scrape pegs with them if I try... But I don't try often. I'm fairly certain I'll go with more BT45's on this. But i'm open to suggestions.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So, I got answers from the GSR.

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/AVON/AVON%20MC/avon_am26_roadrider.htm

Avon Roadmasters are the hot ticket this year for bikes that don't have 17" wheels.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm really liking the Avon Distanzias in the supermoto compound. We're talking wet pavement mid-turn wheelie grip.

I was going to try mounting them myself, but the rim was flexing a lot while I tried to pull them off, and I was worried I would damage it.

If anyone's interested the SM compound is used on the 120-70/17, 150-60/17, and 160-60/17. All the other sizes use the lower grip, longer life compound.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

drat! Tiresunlimited has a Pilot Power combo at $229 for 120/180

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sumo approved: Contiforce SM tires.

Very happy with these sticky bastards.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

ick pik posted:

No love for those of us that go incredible amounts of miles on the interstates and never get too crazy in the corners?
The first owner of my bike was (apparently) a freeway commuter in the Bay Area. Bought the bike at California BMW in Mountain View, but had an address in Salinas. 85 miles/day, every day, or 130 miles/weekday. 86323 miles in 2 years, 9 months.

15 years of tire-wear datapoints anyone?
(6) Metzeler Z4: 5036 avg, 5982 High
(2) OEM BT-50's: 6603 miles
(2) Dunlop D205: 8939 avg, 11060 High
(4) Dunlop D204: 9309 avg, 12487 High
(2) Michelin Road: 9266 avg, 13021 High
(9) Metzeler Z2: 11180 avg, 18713 High
(5) Metzeler Z1: 13755 avg, 16226 High
(2) Michelin 90X: 14692 avg, 16029 High
(1) Metzeler Z3: 17412 avg, 17412 High

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 23, 2009

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
So I was checking my tires for tread earlier and I noticed a small nail in the rear tire. It's one of those really small nails that doesn't really have a head and it's in kinda deep so it would be really hard to pull out. I don't think it's causing a leak; I check my psi a couple times a week and it's been consistent, but I don't know when I picked the nail up. What would be the best course of action? Should I leave the nail in, or take it somewhere to get it pulled and patched, or?

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007

-Inu- posted:

So I was checking my tires for tread earlier and I noticed a small nail in the rear tire. It's one of those really small nails that doesn't really have a head and it's in kinda deep so it would be really hard to pull out. I don't think it's causing a leak; I check my psi a couple times a week and it's been consistent, but I don't know when I picked the nail up. What would be the best course of action? Should I leave the nail in, or take it somewhere to get it pulled and patched, or?

Yank it, if it's leaking, get a patch. If not, you're great.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

If only they had Roads on special =(

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Chairon posted:

I don't have the stuff on hand to pull the tire and apply a proper mushroom patch, gonna try running it down to a couple shops and see if I can get anyone to patch it on monday. Thanks.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

Chairon posted:

Yeah, if you don't pull it now and have a possible leak you'll eventually push it in far enough to be a definite leak. Steel is a bit harder than rubber.

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
What's the word on using seconds as street tires? I have a pair of Bridgestone Battlax BT-002's that I got for free, manufactured about June/July 2007. The tread on them is still about a 1/4", but there's melted rubber pellets all over them. Are these tires still good to go or should I just toss them?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xanieth posted:

What's the word on using seconds as street tires? I have a pair of Bridgestone Battlax BT-002's that I got for free, manufactured about June/July 2007. The tread on them is still about a 1/4", but there's melted rubber pellets all over them. Are these tires still good to go or should I just toss them?

Depends on the usage and the tire, but for street use, they're probably fine. Are they the RS or the race tires?

Just be careful with them in the rain and while they're warming up...sometimes track tires are really slick before they start to heat up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Depends on the usage and the tire, but for street use, they're probably fine. Are they the RS or the race tires?

Just be careful with them in the rain and while they're warming up...sometimes track tires are really slick before they start to heat up.

They're the race tires. Is it worth replacing month-old Shinkos with these, or maybe saving these for later?

edit: I just noticed the rear is a Battlax BT090 R.

xan! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 1, 2009

• Locked thread