Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

devicenull posted:

No new lanes that they've told us about. On street parking is already allowed (and this is a very suburban road where they loved to build massively wide driveways. No one really parks on the road anyway).

We've got the guy coming out on Wednesday to explain wtf they're actually going to do, so we'll see...

"The feds are paying us to turn this road into an emergency landing strip for the local airport."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
What kind of road surface will do this when it gets hot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCzfTiIp97Y

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm guessing it's a concrete road where the slab has snapped and buckled due to thermal expansion.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Communist Zombie posted:

What about the various setups that have been posted in this thread to stop truckers from hitting to low bridges? Obviously they cant go for the real fancy ones since its temporary, but a 'false front' or whatever its called where trucks hit an overhead object thats set a head of the bridge to make them stop instead of running into it.

I'm pretty sure they already have a steel beam in place so that none of these accidents actually hurt the bridge.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

smackfu posted:

I'm pretty sure they already have a steel beam in place so that none of these accidents actually hurt the bridge.

How about those little plastic "bumpers" I've seen hanging in some places. They hit the roof of your vehicle if you're overheight, making a fair bit of noise but no damage. They should be pretty hard to miss.
I can't find pictures because I don't know what their called, but they look like boat fenders hanging down like a curtain - a good bit before the bridge so the vehicle has a chance to turn.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

These are some smart fuckin' traffic lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GcocOUVRa4

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

:stare: We're all probably a bit desensitized to seeing cars jumping in movies, but that has to be close to the line between being shaken up and burst fracturing vertebrae.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Baronjutter posted:

These are some smart fuckin' traffic lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GcocOUVRa4

No kidding. I like how they account for everyone, even buses.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GWBBQ posted:

:stare: We're all probably a bit desensitized to seeing cars jumping in movies, but that has to be close to the line between being shaken up and burst fracturing vertebrae.

I really want to see the next camera down the road, how many cars stopped. Given how hard they hit I'm surprised no one paniced and jerked the wheel one way or another.

I've jumped a lot of cars, but always over railroad tracks so I have a landing ramp and as long as you get the speed right it pretty much just works in anything with wheels.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also god drat every vehicle is some sort of truck or SUV

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

Also god drat every vehicle is some sort of truck or SUV

Welcome to America, where the car is dying (but the SUV is thriving).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is that normal all over the US? I imagine it's pretty regional. Are there stats for the share of vehicles types and rates of growth? Where I am at least 50%+ of vehicles you see on the road are some sort of car, probably more. Tons of hatch backs and smaller cars too. Does that drive parking space design too? Probably need bigger average parking spaces, more spacing between curb parking meters, wider everythings.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

Is that normal all over the US? I imagine it's pretty regional. Are there stats for the share of vehicles types and rates of growth? Where I am at least 50%+ of vehicles you see on the road are some sort of car, probably more. Tons of hatch backs and smaller cars too. Does that drive parking space design too? Probably need bigger average parking spaces, more spacing between curb parking meters, wider everythings.

That is a ton of questions that I was honestly not prepared for. It has just been a general trend that more trucks are being sold across the country than cars in recent times. I'm sure in more urban centers small cars will always be popular but "crossovers", small SUVs made to look like fat cars, are a market that is getting huge. They're eating the market that used to be sedans, since they're essentially the same thing only with more space.

Best I can do for you is this
http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html#autosalesD
which gives only a comparison to last year nationwide

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
SUV and truck sales took a nose dive late 00s-early 10s when gas prices soared (part of the reason why GM and Chrysler tanked so hard during the recession). But now that gas has gotten cheaper, sales have spiked again.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
But a lot of the "SUVs" people are buying these days are significantly more fuel efficent (and smaller) than your 90s SUVs.

Like for instance, the Toyota RAV4 now does 24 MPG city / 31 MPG highway. A common mid 90s SUV like the 96 Ford Explorer did 18/22.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I see a lot of people driving what are basically just sedans but with body styling of an SUV. It's crazy how that general shape/style of vehicle became so ridiculously popular in such a short time. It's like hatch-backs have some link to poors or city folk, but hatch backs are actually really good, so just make a big fat hatch back and call it a "crossover"

Some idiot lady got a giant H2 Hummer and parks it next to me, there's pretty much no room to open any of the doors for anyone parked next to her because both her wheels are maybe a foot from the parking lines. I was parking right as she was getting out and told me I was parking too close. I showed her I was in fact parked as far away from her hummer as possible and she just said "Yeah... sorry, I just don't know why they make these parking spots so small!" I had a friend who had a ridiculously massive extended wide bed truck and would bitch all the time that they make parking spots too small and that cities really need to adjust to the times and accept that "consumers" have chosen larger vehicles. How about you entitled idiots just don't buy a monster truck if you want to park easily in the city you live in?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Peanut President posted:

That is a ton of questions that I was honestly not prepared for. It has just been a general trend that more trucks are being sold across the country than cars in recent times. I'm sure in more urban centers small cars will always be popular but "crossovers", small SUVs made to look like fat cars, are a market that is getting huge. They're eating the market that used to be sedans, since they're essentially the same thing only with more space.

A downside is that they use slightly more fuel because of the less efficient aerodynamics.
The main reason people buy these seems to be ride height. Old people can get in and out easier and short people can see the road better.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

A downside is that they use slightly more fuel because of the less efficient aerodynamics.
The main reason people buy these seems to be ride height. Old people can get in and out easier and short people can see the road better.

The main impetus for the rise of the SUV was a generation that grew up swearing they'd never own a minivan. So instead they opted for something smaller, less space efficient, less fuel efficient, had a harsher ride, and poorer handling than a minivan.

Over the years, the reality that a minivan is actually really useful for a suburban family has caused SUVs to get bigger and boxier, with a softer ride and even sliding doors.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NihilismNow posted:

The old people thing is especially what sells those super-boxy cars like the Scion XB and the Nissan Cube. Which is pretty funny because both of those things were supposed to be hip cars for young people, in the designers' minds.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I have a feeling some people in this thread watch RegularCarReviews.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The main impetus for the rise of the SUV was a generation that grew up swearing they'd never own a minivan. So instead they opted for something smaller, less space efficient, less fuel efficient, had a harsher ride, and poorer handling than a minivan.

Over the years, the reality that a minivan is actually really useful for a suburban family has caused SUVs to get bigger and boxier, with a softer ride and even sliding doors.

Minivans have no stigma here (neither do station wagons, those actually have more prestige than a sedan) but crossovers and mini suv's (tall hatchbacks) are still a fast growing segment because of the reasons i listed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know where my outback lies in all this, really, but you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. And if I want something smaller and sportier, I'll get an Impreza hatchback, aka the sport-mini-outback.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

devicenull posted:

No new lanes that they've told us about. On street parking is already allowed (and this is a very suburban road where they loved to build massively wide driveways. No one really parks on the road anyway).

We've got the guy coming out on Wednesday to explain wtf they're actually going to do, so we'll see...

So, the assistant director of public works came out today, and he stands by his statement that curbs slow down traffic.

We got some more details though, they're adding 5ft or so to the roadway, then 4ft of grass, then 4ft sidewalks. At some point they're apparently going to plant a bunch of trees in the grass.

This seems to be their standard plan for roads, but I don't see how this is really going to slow traffic.

We got the actual traffic engineers phone number, so time to see what he has to say.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

devicenull posted:

So, the assistant director of public works came out today, and he stands by his statement that curbs slow down traffic.

We got some more details though, they're adding 5ft or so to the roadway, then 4ft of grass, then 4ft sidewalks. At some point they're apparently going to plant a bunch of trees in the grass.

This seems to be their standard plan for roads, but I don't see how this is really going to slow traffic.

We got the actual traffic engineers phone number, so time to see what he has to say.

What exactly is meant by curbs here? Is the current setup that the lawns or sidewalks or whatever you have on the sides of the roads slope right onto level with the road surface?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

What exactly is meant by curbs here? Is the current setup that the lawns or sidewalks or whatever you have on the sides of the roads slope right onto level with the road surface?

Correct, it goes right from lawn to roadway with nothing in between.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh hey, anyone who drives on Connecticut Route 9 through Middletown knows about Those Traffic Lights. For those who don't know, there are a set of traffic lights on a loving freeway through Middletown. Traffic backs up like whoa, every day, there are tons of accidents, but the city of Middletown has fought their removal for decades. "If traffic doesn't stop in Middletown, the city will die!" Or some poo poo like that.

Looks like our Governor is finally getting enough pull to do something about it!

Have a look!

The article mentions putting in a roundabout... uh... not sure that's the appropriate action in this case, but I am not a traffic engineer. I'd like to see a picture of what the area is going to look like, for sure. Either way I'm glad something is being done about it, because that stretch of Route 9 is a joke.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It needs to be grade separated or those intersections eliminated entirely. Plopping a roundabout in the middle of the road instead of the traffic light will still be a problem.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 24, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
This article has a picture of the planned roundabout. It looks like it is grade separated.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Haifisch posted:

This article has a picture of the planned roundabout. It looks like it is grade separated.

This is great, thanks. Seems like reasonable fixes given the constraints.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So the final phase of three level crossing removals near me started last night at 9pm with the closure of the (second busiest) trainline for 37 days. They've been working on the area for quite some time now, drilling and pouring the walls of the trench and moving services. Now over the next 10 days they will excavate the entire ~3km corridor and then build the three new stations in the trench.

quote:

Over the next 37 days, 1,000 construction workers working 24 hours a day will excavate more than 250,000 cubic metres of soil and rock – enough to fill the MCG – to remove the dangerous and congested level crossings at Centre, McKinnon and North Roads in Melbourne's South East.
[The MCG being our main stadium here and a common unit of measurement for the media]

Every hour, 150 trucks will need to transport soil offsite, making this the most disruptive period for locals.
It will be Melbourne's longest rail line closure since the construction of the City Loop began in 1971.
http://levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/media-library/news/winter-construction-blitz-gets-underway-this-week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF0qqHqte6A

And they had a photo of some of the construction equipment that has taken over a local sports ground next to the tracks, with a pan-able panorama here. (even a red brick scout hall in the back which the group has had to relocate for 6 months)

And as you can see, not a very wide work area: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.9034122,145.0403199,18z?hl=en

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is there traffic simulation programs that people can use, I think I'd like to mess about with that for a bit.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Haifisch posted:

If they can actually get it done for $75 million they should start yesterday.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crankit posted:

Is there traffic simulation programs that people can use, I think I'd like to mess about with that for a bit.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Haifisch posted:

Ah, thanks for this! That makes me feel better about it. I was picturing an at-grade roundabout.

Also, that's the Middletown mayor in that picture? drat, dude's young. Glad we can get some new blood in public office positions.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Ah, thanks for this! That makes me feel better about it. I was picturing an at-grade roundabout.

Also, that's the Middletown mayor in that picture? drat, dude's young. Glad we can get some new blood in public office positions.

And he's talking about running for governor since Malloy is so hated.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly this seems like an excellent opportunity to design a hosed up mega high speed highway roundabout.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Is that rail line active? Are there any guidelines on how rail crossings interact with roundabouts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Is that rail line active? Are there any guidelines on how rail crossings interact with roundabouts?

There's two rail lines in Middletown, one is the Providence and Worcester (which crosses the old swing bridge a little bit up the road) which heads east-west to Portland and to Pratt & Whitney and still sees active service. The other is the Valley line, which is the one depicted in the image. The track goes from Hartford to Old Saybrook but there are considerable parts out-of-service in the area of Middletown. The Valley line excursions don't go up to MIddletown and neither do the freights. But it is landbanked by the state, so theoretically there could be more demand there... but I doubt it.

I've never seen a rail line cross a rotary at-grade before so I have no idea what they would do.