Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fishmech posted:

But they can afford to pave it if they really want to, they've just decided it's not worth it do so anymore. There is already lots of unpaved roads in the outlying areas of the "city" for similar reasons, and many of them never got paved to begin with.

Locals don't pay much for road projects, anyway. Most of it comes from the feds, and most of the rest comes from the state. Roads are built and maintained based on their traffic and weight capacity needs as determined by the state and federal departments of transportation.

As population and traffic patterns change, some roads fall into disuse. Depaving makes sense when the road is no longer needed and repaving costs more than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Didn't know pigeons could do 100km/h :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_w6cRtYHU

e: well that or it's fake, hard to tell with pigeons

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 14, 2016

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

As population and traffic patterns change, some roads fall into disuse. Depaving makes sense when the road is no longer needed and repaving costs more than it's worth.

If you look at the road in google maps, as fishmech said, it's practically a cul-de-sac of farms. It didn't make any sense to pave it in the first place. If they got federal and state money for it, I still don't understand why they'd bother.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 14, 2016

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

John Dough posted:

That pigeon is surfing the bow waves of vehicles. Pretty badass.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

John Dough posted:

This is great, haha. Way to adapt, lil guy :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

John Dough posted:

Dreams where I can fly are among my favorites and now this'll add to the stable of silly memories to go in those :3:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

John Dough posted:

140km/h in bursts according to pigeon racers, more like 100km/h according to scientists. Apparently it's a very controversial subject.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Delaware rest stop on I-95 has this map of I-95 from almost North Carolina to Connecticut. Can you spot all the errors in it?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well for starters, their "YOU ARE HERE" marker is way off, I'm nowhere near there.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I'm trying and not seeing any errors? Maybe give us a hint?

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

The Delaware rest stop on I-95 has this map of I-95 from almost North Carolina to Connecticut. Can you spot all the errors in it?

I count at least five. I'm not sure what that says about me.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

I don't live in that area ( I feel like that's a prerequisite) but why is Cape May's Courthouse listed on the map?

edit: oh that's a town? what

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Golbez posted:

I'm trying and not seeing any errors? Maybe give us a hint?

Well for starters, this is the actual route of I-95 through that area:

I realize construction warnings are blocking parts of the route, and the bit where it crosses from PA to NJ isn't really accurate yet (because the route it will be taking in the future involves a freeway interchange that will only be finished in 2018, and the actual current designations of I-95 don't actually connect yet!), but it's still more accurate than how it's shown crossing in the picture I took, where it seems to be routed across a non-existent bridge from philly itself and across a non-existent freeway to connect to the NJ Turnpike.

So besides that big issue, the map also shows I-95 jumping off its actual route in North Jersey to cross the Hudson at a non-existent crossing into NYC where it then follows a non-existent freeway up Manhattan to the actual route. It also shows I-95 passing directly through Washington, DC, partly on the actual route of present day I-395 and I-695, and partly on the original planned route of I-95 from the 50s - in reality it loops around DC to the east on the Capital Beltway with 495. It also kinda seems like they hosed up the route through Baltimore and that might be following I-895 for part of it, but it's not close enough in to tell.

Besides that stuff, the other roads are highly suspect or outright missing even though they would make sense for a map showing I-95.

For reference the red lines on here show the two discontinuous segments of I-95 in NJ right now:

The short one is a portion that was built with the intention of constructing a freeway from where it ends on its eastern bit more or less to the northeast to connect with Turnpike farther up. The longer portion is the future continuous route that relies on the interchange in PA to be finished just across the river, so that I-95 will be continuous. As things stand, the designation basically pops up in the middle of the bridge across the river, but is then continuous all the way to the border of Maine and Canada, while the other bit is continuous right now from the little stub (which flows directly into I-295) all the way down to Miami.

Peanut President posted:

I don't live in that area ( I feel like that's a prerequisite) but why is Cape May's Courthouse listed on the map?

edit: oh that's a town? what

Cape May Courthouse is the county seat of Cape May County. They never bothered coming up with a creative name down there. It's also more or less the most important town in the county, as is Bridgeton in its own county over to the west a bit

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

fishmech posted:

95 doesn't go straight through DC, it is routed with 495.

The 295 Ringway around Richmond is poor and has I-85 branch from there.

The I-95-PA TURNPIKE interchange is 90% done, so it sort of dead ends in PA, and restores itself in Pa, its very odd. Also, US 9 is well built as a boat and goes that way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Giant freeway interchanges really disturb me for some reason
http://www.politico.com/magazine/gallery/2015/07/the-art-of-the-interchange-000173?slide=0

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

The interchanges themselves are beautiful, I think. It's what's around it that's terrifying.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eskaton posted:

The interchanges themselves are beautiful, I think. It's what's around it that's terrifying.

Yeah like half of them are in Texas or LA, gross!

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

fishmech posted:

Yeah like half of them are in Texas or LA, gross!

I was eyeing the ones in Metro Detroit actually. I don't know why you want to pigeonhole me like a child.

The Oakland county executive is a real work of humanity.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 29, 2016

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Judge Harry Pregerson Interchange getting name recognition and love. :911:

That teeny little loop in the bottom right is way, way too drat small, particularly if you're used to the other movements. "Huh that [advisory speed limit] sure is low OH GOD OH GOD", etc.

Lots of smudges on the outside barriers.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm surprised they included I-17/SR-101 instead of I-17/I-10.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Remember that crazy elevated bus that seemed like a sci-fi rendering?

They actually built a prototype:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36961433

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That seems like it would be terrifying to drive under. Not much clearance.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Doesn't look like trucks or buses could fit. Also, only 60 km/h?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Subways are traffic related right? Game to design/modify NYC subway system.

http://jpwright.net/subway/

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

smackfu posted:

That seems like it would be terrifying to drive under. Not much clearance.

Honestly I imagine after a while you'd get used to it. The big issue (besides of course how big a mess any wreck with one will be) is:

Guy Axlerod posted:

Doesn't look like trucks or buses could fit. Also, only 60 km/h?

This basically. Basically take the old "too-tall truck hits a too-low bridge" scenario and now make the bridge a moving part. Thankfully it looks like the bus travels the same direction as traffic so in most cases the bus will likely be able to just follow behind the truck. But it only takes one operator goofing up to end up with one riding up on the back of a truck, or a truck rear-ending it, and maybe even derailing the bus-o-rail in the process.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
like most of my questions in this thread, I am trying to figure out how the gently caress anyone thought this was a good idea. this is the I-93 South/MA-213 East connector.

Looks okay right? Except that since 213 connects I-93 and I-495, everyone coming southbound on I-93 needs to get onto MA-213 East. Conversely, people coming west from I-495 needs to get onto I-95 South. Zoom and enhance on the pure fuckery.

Red line is I-93 -> 213, blue line is 213 -> I-93. That's 250ft of weaving. Navigating this thing between 3pm and 7pm is a guaranteed shitshow. Why would anyone do this???

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

like most of my questions in this thread, I am trying to figure out how the gently caress anyone thought this was a good idea. this is the I-93 South/MA-213 East connector.

Looks okay right? Except that since 213 connects I-93 and I-495, everyone coming southbound on I-93 needs to get onto MA-213 East. Conversely, people coming west from I-495 needs to get onto I-95 South. Zoom and enhance on the pure fuckery.

Red line is I-93 -> 213, blue line is 213 -> I-93. That's 250ft of weaving. Navigating this thing between 3pm and 7pm is a guaranteed shitshow. Why would anyone do this???
Road authorities are cheap bastards?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Loop Connector was not originally built to connect to 495, those ramps are a 1950-s designed "good enough to get traffic in and out of Methuen to the Northern Expressway" finished in 1962. Nobody thought to redesign the ramps when it was connected to the newly-built 495 a few years later because the assumption was that Route 213 would be extended to Lowell and the interchange would be reconfigured at that time.

The extension was cancelled in the 70s, and here we are. Fixing it will be very difficult due to environmental reasons.

They did just eliminate the Methuen Rotary (new ramps open today!) so maybe it'll get fixed, but I doubt it.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 20, 2016

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

kefkafloyd posted:

The Loop Connector was not originally built to connect to 495, those ramps are a 1950-s designed "good enough to get traffic in and out of Methuen to the Northern Expressway" finished in 1962. Nobody thought to redesign the ramps when it was connected to the newly-built 495 a few years later because the assumption was that Route 213 would be extended to Lowell and the interchange would be reconfigured at that time.

The extension was cancelled in the 70s, and here we are. Fixing it will be very difficult due to environmental reasons.

They did just eliminate the Methuen Rotary (new ramps open today!) so maybe it'll get fixed, but I doubt it.

Hmm, I never knew this! Growing up around the time just before it was officially designated the Loop Connector, I always figured it was just an easy way to get to I-93 from I-495 and vice versa. Thinking about how life would be without 213, it seems miserable. I think 213 is probably the second most important highway to me, as most of my commutes to work are in the Manchester/Concord area

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Hmm, I never knew this! Growing up around the time just before it was officially designated the Loop Connector, I always figured it was just an easy way to get to I-93 from I-495 and vice versa. Thinking about how life would be without 213, it seems miserable. I think 213 is probably the second most important highway to me, as most of my commutes to work are in the Manchester/Concord area

Here's some light afternoon reading then!

http://www.bostonroads.com/roads/MA-213/

I'm phone posting so I can't go dig up my online copy of the 1960s era public planning docs for MassDPW but there are some interesting reads for the Methuen/Lawrence area and what could have been.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

Here's some light afternoon reading then!

http://www.bostonroads.com/roads/MA-213/

I'm phone posting so I can't go dig up my online copy of the 1960s era public planning docs for MassDPW but there are some interesting reads for the Methuen/Lawrence area and what could have been.

This website is great, thanks for the link. Got anything like this for other state highways? Living in the Merrimack Valley, I'd love to read some stuff about 114, 125, or 133.

Have I mentioned how awesome it is to have a bunch of posters in this thread from the New England area? Sorry, non-NE goons. :getin:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
This. This loving poo poo. Every time I was on this stretch of highway, I bitched about it.

The MD-10/MD-100 interchange in Maryland. Who the gently caress designed this poo poo and why would anything where two highways literally become one as an interchange be a good idea?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Looking at it more in context for the area, it looks more like MD 100 makes a split to form 10/100, and the extra ramps there at the bottom act as a connector to MD 2. It looks like something was unfinished there with regards to that MD 2 connector.

But other than that, I don't see anything unusual there. I mean, freeway splits are not unheard of. Is it because of missing movements? You can't go from MD 10 south to MD 100 north without going through local streets, for example. I mean, MD 10 has to end somewhere, it seems fairly logical to me. It is not that unlike I-495 to I-95 in Amesbury, Mass. Or US 3 and the Lowell Connector.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Wow, I complain about the cloverleafs still around here, but that sounds awful.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

D34THROW posted:

[...] why would anything where two highways literally become one as an interchange be a good idea?

Behold! The square!

kefkafloyd posted:

[...] It looks like something was unfinished there with regards to that MD 2 connector.

Maybe they were after this design?

mamosodiumku fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 25, 2016

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

From some quick research, it looks like MD-10 was connected in later, as a typical "we have a half built road that ends randomly because our master plan got killed, can we connect it to something?"

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

It is not that unlike I-495 to I-95 in Amesbury, Mass.

I love the flyover going northbound through there, makes me feel like I'm playing real life Need For Speed.

So does the ramp to NH-38 in Salem from I-95 that goes around the Rockingham Mall. They did some cool and good things.

EDIT: Can someone please explain why England thinks these are good? I can think of probably a hundred different ways to achieve what I presume is speed control through residential areas that aren't the biggest road hazard I think I've ever seen.

I love that 8 foot bike lane too. What a loving treat that must be.

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 28, 2016

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is that a gigantic speed hump? If so it's probably because throwing another few inches of asphalt down is cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
They're called Speed Tables in the states. Basically a giant speed bump.