Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sweet thread, I love this stuff. I've grown up as a Simcity/Transport Tycoon fanatic, and was once a City & Regional Planning major at Berkeley. If I was born a trust fund baby, I would probably study transit for fun.

Anyways, I've spent most of my life in California, so my knowledge of roundabouts is pretty limited. There's one small one near my office that has no signals and there's a larger one in the same county that I see from time to time--also no signals.

Yet I went to Spain two weeks ago and there are signals everywhere INSIDE the roundabout. Is this pretty standard practice for high-traffic roundabouts? (click for gmaps)

Is this considered a roundabout? There's a round shape to it all, but the main artery (the longest avenue in Madrid) clearly penetrates the middle.

Also, have you had any success with busways or new public transit in CT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

Traffic circles with signals are, as you said, relatively common in very high-volume traffic circles. Most of these were designed before automobiles, and acted as open squares or monumental centerpieces. Once the roads were overtaken by vehicular traffic, they had to be transformed into roadways, and it's tough to turn such a big circle into an effective intersection. There are countless variations, my favorite of which is the Place de l'Etoile in Paris, with no lane lines or signals and 12 incoming roadways.
If Parisians can navigate the Arc d'Triomphe without signals, why can't everyone else? :colbert:

nevermind the fact Plaza Concorde down the street, and every other intersection I saw in Paris, has signals

Cichlidae posted:

Our train ridership has been climbing in the past few years, so we're adding new parking. Other than that, though, I don't think we've implemented any new transit in ages. Most of what we have is running on 100+ year old infrastructure.
Wasn't the Acela high speed train introduced in CT in the last decade? I took the TGV from Montpelier to Paris and it was a very pleasant experience. However, the non-high-speed segment from Barcelona to Montpelier was zzzz.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

It's also worth noting that the UK has a different definition for the word 'roundabout' than the US definition. Many of Britain's roundabouts would be considered traffic circles or rotaries here.
What's the difference? :downs:

Also, I saw a weird article over at the LA Times, some kind of freight train fear-mongering? Seems like everyone is doing their best to be very concerned about this disturbing, earth-shattering development..
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/01/safety-traffic-concerns-raised-when-35mile-freight-train-rolls-through-la-basin.html

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Are those construction worker fatalities? If so, :ohdear:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Question about signal actuation:

I'm going down a main road and want to make a left at a standard 4-way signaled intersection. Currently, the traffic signal is green on the side road. The side road turns yellow and intends to switch to green straights on the main road, but a millisecond later, I trip the left-turn sensor.

Does the signal box recalculate where to put the next green?
If there are no cars being sensed on the straight approaches, shouldn't the signal do some thinking and then give me a left-turn green immediately?
Or is the next green phase set in stone when the previous green phase starts winding down?

I know this is kind of a strange question, but I've always wondered this :downs:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Calast posted:

You just reminded me of this.

Edit: I think they realized they had one too many 580s there, and not enough 80. But it's still confusing as hell, because West 80 and East 580 are going South, and then East 80 and West 580 are going North.

I know exactly where that is, because I used to commute on Ashby in college, and this reminds me. The City of Berkeley in its infinite wisdom decided to let CA-13, a four-lane road, lose the curbside lanes to parking during most of the day. There's plenty of side street parking, but no, those fuckers get to park on a major arterial, the only CA route surface street to bisect the city. :argh:

gently caress, if I got to design my own city, I'd outlaw on-street parking except on very suburban 25-mph streets. Let people bear the real cost of parking spaces..

e: I understand that on-street parking is a calming measure and the City loves the poo poo out of traffic calming. But it's A MAIN ARTERY and gosh darn it, it's loving inefficient

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Socket Ryanist posted:

:crossarms: you forget san pablo ave (aka route 123)

I always thought of San Pablo as a road on the fringes of the city (as opposed to bisecting), but you got me there :)

Cichlidae posted:

I definitely agree; on-street parking on arterials hurts capacity and causes accidents. Just keep in mind that the town's first priority is keeping their businesses happy, not encouraging traffic flow. Some towns (Middletown, CT, I'm looking at you) prefer their roads to be congested because it gives their CBD more "face time."

I see what you're saying, and Berkeley is sometimes actively hostile towards traffic flow (which I sometimes agree with actually). But this stretch of CA-13 that I'm talking about is primarily composed of single-family homes:

edit: another question, when do traffic engineers put lights on freeways? I was driving on I-605 the other day in Los Angeles and visibility was pretty bad. Given that "safety" is a huge buzzword in DOT circles, I was surprised that this major freeway wasn't lighted.

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 22, 2010

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

I was thinking about this exact issue today while doing some VISSIM modeling. The difference between Stop and Yield is, obviously, you are required to stop at a Stop sign. Of course, nobody REALLY stops, we roll through at 5-10 mph. If a side road is a low volume/low speed approach and the sight distance is very good, a Yield sign works just as well as a Stop sign. If there's a car coming, you can just wait. If not, go right on through.

At first glance, it seems like it wouldn't be as safe, but drivers may eventually ignore the Stop sign and blow through it regularly if they normally don't have to stop.

Make it happen! (please)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

Similarly, it only cost about $1 million 1950s dollars to sign the entire Connecticut Turnpike (Greenwich to Killingly). I'll let you calculate the inflation rate now, but we generally assume $3 million per interchange to put up signs these days, times about 90 exits. Of course, that's also a testament to how much heartier our signs are now. The original Connecticut Turnpike signs were small blue ones, not the 40-foot-wide overhead ones we use now.

FOR SIGNS?

what the gently caress, this is insanity. you have to be able to cut this cost, right? right?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Assuming that you allow right-turn-on-red, generally how long do you let a car in a right-turn-only lane to wander/waffle/wait until triggering a green for that road?

Hope that makes sense.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
do you have an amazon wish list? ;)

I'm in Boston for the weekend, first time I've been in a New England state. Rented a car yesterday and gently caress, these roads are substandard. Weaving galore, insufficient capacity even in the suburbs, and driving on the shoulder?? augh

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

It's a great idea if you have the width. As long as there's some good barrier, collisions aren't a danger, and the fact that freeways are already grade-separated makes it an economical choice. Overpasses could be fitted with platforms going down to the train tracks for easy access. Park and ride lots between the tracks or nearby would increase the station's effective range even more, especially if they can be accessed directly from the freeway.

Are there some case studies of freeway lanes being taken out for this kind of light rail?

When I went to Boston last month, I stayed on the newish T Silver Line. I think the MBTA tried to push it as just another light rail line but it's actually a bus rapid transit route that is sometimes in purpose-built tunnels and sometimes shares the road with normal traffic. The locals seemed very underwhelmed with the Silver Line, and I have to admit that I was more optimistic about BRT before I actually tried it. Have you tried it? The Wikipedia page has some interesting criticisms.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Field trip owns. Please post another one!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Cool stories. How long is that bridge going to take? :|

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Solkanar512 posted:

This is exactly what happens on I-5 here on the West Coast. It's actually quite useful, since it tells you not only which exit you need to take, but about how far away it is.

Not in California..

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

:yarr: I be a pirate sign, matey! Competin' wit yer attention because I want yer booty!
:lol:

Cichlidae posted:

"Gee, this signal is acting kind of funny. It's calling the side street every cycle and extending it to the max, even when there's no car."
"Dunno, boss, I cut the loops just like you asked!"
Okay, what happened here?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

I have enough Busway jokes to start my own Busway-oriented comedy club. Now if only traffic engineering came with a little more innuendo!
Oh god please give us this. I promise not to steal your jokes for my new website buswayjokes.info

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
While I was on a bus zooming past a train in Boston yesterday, I was wondering--have there been studies on how much people prefer trains over buses? For a variety of reasons, the idea of riding a train is just more psychologically pleasing. (I know I brought this up with regard to the MBTA Silver Line earlier in this thread)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

Raise gas taxes

hahahahahahahaha good one

I agree

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
looks like the driver took the picture while operating a motor vehicle, transportation vehicle is illegally parked, that work zone could use some cones

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Nesnej posted:

In transport planning this is a well known phenomenon and is called the rail factor. Studies show that rail traffic is more likely to attract more and higher-income passengers buses. The reasons are unclear, but it has been proposed that this is because of more better passenger comfort (larger curve radii, less abrupt accelerations and decelerations, quieter passenger spaces and, at least from my anecdotal experience, better air conditioning) as well as increased reliability.

Passenger information also makes a huge difference. Passengers really appreciate those information screens that show real-time when their ride is arriving as well as route maps that are laid out in an organised fashion.

Haha, the Green Line-B would like to have a word with you.

Anyways, it all makes sense, but it seems like bus service could be dramatically improved with simple things like https://www.nextbus.com preferential signaling, and easy-to-read route maps. Oh, and the perception that buses are for poor people.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

Here's a fun photo:

That's on the Route 82 expressway in Haddam. That 3-foot hole is actually a 13 by 8 by 2 foot void under the pavement. It's not even a bridge, just a ACCMP (Asphalt-Coated Corrugated Metal Pipe) underground that's collapsed. You can see the patch next to it. Last year, we found a 9 by 6 by 4 foot void there and repaired it. This one merits an emergency declaration and some quick (and expensive) repair work.

The speed limit on 82 here is 50 mph, if I remember correctly, so most people are going 65. Trust me, you don't want to hit a hole like that going 65 mph.

so uh how did you guys find out about that hole

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Crackpipe posted:

Boston / Storrs / New London / New York City rail link.

Isn't this what Acela (sp?) is?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is it me or is that rail tunnel ridiculously small?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How much more does it cost to do construction at night / weekends versus during the day?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

grover posted:

Would you have designed the overpass with less flames?

http://www.news4jax.com/news/26581124/detail.html

Now all I can see are substandard curbs. e: the directional signing attached to the freeway looks a little too small for standard as well.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Where does the funding come from rebuilding after a disaster like this? Insurance?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

grover posted:

Government self-insures itself. Two cars were involved, the tanker truck and a pickup. It's not clear from the article what happened to cause the wreck, but unless the at-fault driver had one HELL of an insurance clause, there's another bridge that won't be replaced or a road that won't be repaved because of this.

Is the at-fault driver subject to legal action to recover property damages?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

grover posted:

Chances are pretty good he doesn't have a few million dollars to pay for the damages out of pocket. Gonna have trouble working if off, too, considering both drivers died.

Clearly debtor's prison needs a cemetery ward :colbert:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

Do you remember that sign support here in CT that got knocked down by a dump truck a couple years ago? The company that owns the truck is technically liable for the sign support's replacement, but they don't have to pay up until it has been replaced and the final cost determined. Since we don't have the spare cash to replace it, that may not happen for years.

Can't you bill them for estimated costs and then adjust it later like our small biz's workers comp insurance bill? :(

unrelated traffic light fail: http://failblog.org/2011/02/02/epic-fail-video-traffic-light-fail/

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I think that might be the first selfish thing you've said in this thread ;)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

4) It would be incredibly difficult to enforce time restrictions, and most likely would just lead to everyone using the HOV lane at all times of the day (which they mostly do anyway, just not to the same extent).

Is the problem really enforcement here, or just people who can't follow directions on signs?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

The two are really inseparable. If the directions on signs are too confusing, then is a motorist really at fault if he misses their intent? We have hundreds of cars per hour violating the current restrictions as is. Adding more subtleties really isn't going to help things.

So what you're saying is that the revenue opportunity for CT is expanding

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How often do you see enforcement? Just north of you in Orange County, I don't see much enforcement of carpool lane restrictions, and these are pretty standard things with two sets of double yellow lines separating them all the time. If anything, OC is easier to enforce.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Has anyone read this book on how cities are mankind's greatest invention? http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/02/17/pm-why-cities-are-mankinds-greatest-invention/

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What would you do with something like this?
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/quake1/bp36.jpg

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Here is an awesome video about the Ringways project in the UK and why it didn't get built;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUEHWhO_HdY

There's also one about railways but that's less this thread and more, another thread.

This is fantastic. More of this please.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

CaladSigilon posted:

What the hell were the engineers thinking of when they made this pretending-to-be-a-roundabout-but-putting-eight-million-traffic-lights-and-causing-terrible-traffic-and-death-and-hatred thing? It backs up onto the highway because people can't merge into that traffic, and requires people to cut each other off on the right hand side if they don't want to get shoved back onto the highway.

This is also a major bus transfer point IIRC. I once took the bus out to Waltham and I could already tell it was a clusterfuck when I xferred there.

jeoh-kun posted:

Yep:

Haha.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
While we're at it, what's up with the 5-digit address numbering system here in California (and other places apparently)? Why can't the first house be numbered 1 instead of 10001 dammit?

e: here is an example of what I'm talking about http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...rnia+92782&z=17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cichlidae posted:

Consider yourself lucky; if it were New England, we'd put a stop sign instead, and everyone would be driving 15 over the limit. :)

The Arroyo Seco in Los Angeles isn't much better.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...,155.11,,0,10.9