Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
First off this is an awesome thread and you are awesome, I've seen your commentary in other threads and always kinda hoped you would open up about your job.

Can you tell me what the gently caress people were thinking when they designed this:

This is the DFW airport north exit. Long story short, people coming from 635 on the east want to get to either a) the airport or b) 121 going west. 635 crosses OVER 121, and dumps a massive fuckload of cars (most of whom want to merge left to get to the airport) into the right lanes of the road, which people on 121 who want to STAY on 121 have to merge right through to get to the right-exit side. Essentially it becomes an unregulated crossing right on the highway.

Dallas traffic isn't bad because they have enormo-roads, but gently caress me if I don't :psyduck: at some of their design decisions. This introduces that weaving concept at this massive, unprecedented level and I'd be surprised there weren't more accidents, except nobody is ever moving faster than a crawl because they're all about to hit each other.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Thanks for answering everyone's questions, I'm really glad you took the time to update.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
One thing I've actually enjoyed (the High Five is fun to drive on but hell on wheels during rush hour) about Dallas roads is the extra U-turn lane at every frontage road stoplight. There is a left-only lane that becomes the right lane of the road it turns onto, and a left+U-turn lane where the U-turn is protected and unregulated, so you can just flip a U without worrying about more than "oncoming" traffic from your right when you get headed the other way. It's handy!

I actually have another question and it's more like a defensive driving one: I am usually pissed off because people can't merge well (say onto a not-so-busy highway where the speed limit is 65), and do so slowly. I was under the impression that it's the merger's responsibility to essentially be moving At Speed when they attempt to merge. With nobody in front of me, an onramp is just about the only time where I really get to use all of my torque/horsepower :), because I want to be screaming along by the time I have to get in front of someone potentially doing 70+ miles per hour. Is this right or I guess "appropriate"?

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 30, 2009

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

blugu64 posted:

That's pretty much it, it's really only legal in california, but when it hits 105 in Dallas it's hard to resist. Thanks for the response!

I almost killed one of you the other day when he sneaked past me between my car and the concrete median on the tollway.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
The ostensible purpose of them is clear, but what the hell is up with using those ENORMOUS half-bowling-ball sized lane markers? There's several places in the Dallas area that use these to demarcate / separate left turn lanes from through traffic. They must do horrific damage to any car that hits them at speed, and often start up after maybe one car's length opportunity to actually enter the turn lane.

Just seems like an awful price to pay for a little lack of foresight, because really they won't stop you from hitting another car if you merge over late anyway.

(failed finding a GMaps link but they're like 12-inch metal hemispherical dealies that stick up out of the road)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Socket Ryanist posted:

Night work = overtime pay

This can't be the answer, there are second/third shifts for a reason.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
You can see (miserable) examples of those gaps between concrete slabs at the south exit of the DFW airport (yay more lovely Dallas roads!) on the ramp to 183 East. I cringe every time I drive over this, the gaps are 4 or 5 inches wide now.

I have a question regarding tollbooths, I was driving around at home in Chicago this past weekend and noticed something weird that seems counterintuitive: at exits where the traffic MUST pass through a tollbooth, the "I-Pass Only" lanes are on the RIGHT side of the toll plaza, and after cars pass through they must claw back through to the LEFT side of the road to merge with the new traffic. What's up with that?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
They just raised the Dallas North Tollway's speed limit to 65 from 55. Thank god, but also, people still drive like 55-60 all the time.

I am paying through the BUTT to drive on the road, I want to fly, damnit! They restructured tolls as well so the offramps north of the city are cheap, but the access from the city is like $1.25 now. Costs me $2.96 a day to get to work :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Thanks for continually updating this thread, it is by far my favorite Ask/Tell, and lately I've had reason to copy/pasta some of your posts (WITH PROPER ATTRIBUTION) to explain things to friends, which is hilarious.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So I know this isn't exactly your forte / specialization, but I saw this today and thought it was super cool

Slime Mold Networks!

Also, you'll note this is a repost, hosted by MSNBC, and when I typed "slime mold" into the Bing search box at the top of MSNBC's home page, this article did not show up. sigh.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

noblergt posted:

http://www.publicpurpose.com/hwy-tti99ratio.htm

Dallas is basically a big intersection. Add Ft. Worth to the mix and the DFW area becomes some sort of mystical hyper-nexus of roadways. Who needs responsible urban planning and development?? We got LAND, LAND, LAND!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I just want you to know that I would totally be your IRL friend if I lived in the Northeast because everything you post about is continually fascinating. Thanks for keeping this thread alive :3:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
:ssh:^^It's that way in every Old World country^^:ssh:

Toledo (Spanish Toledo) was a bitch to get around:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Giving directions is also fun

"All right so turn to the left as you leave your hotel, you'll see a fork ahead of you with an intersection on the right side, take the right fork but GO STRAIGHT and not immediately into the intersection. Then you're gonna loop around past a farmacia and turn left down the next alleyway you see, which will dead end in a plaza. You want the THIRD STREET ON THE RIGHT if you face the cathedral, it'll be at your 4 o clock."

Europe is tits, I am immensely excited to go back in November :3:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ijustam posted:

Crossposting this: http://11foot8.com/

This person's YouTube channel is nothing but trucks ramming into the same low bridge.

Haha I remember this bridge, it's right by East Campus. Street is busy as hell too because of all the traffic to the Brightleaf Square shops.

The concept of a crash-only Youtube channel makes me chuckle.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cichlidae posted:

That's why I asked about familiarity. To someone from the US, they all look the same, but if you've been studying them...

But honestly, you've got multiple characteristics that you are able to modify with your lane markings. Why not differentiate on as many levels as possible from the start, and just not require a familiarization period? "Length of the line" being the sole discriminant between several extremely important traffic distinctions seems to be a bit short-sighted. Regardless of the other gewgaws you throw onto the road, people pay attention to signage and lane markings and in your central vision color variance stands out.

I guess I'm a Merkin and I'm used to our system. Just seems like there's a lot of potential danger if the variation between "Passing / Cruising Lane" and "Oh poo poo I'm Driving The Wrong Way" is the length of space between lines.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 8, 2010

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^^ pff, HIGHWAYS don't scare Americans, things like Toledo, Spain that I think I posted earlier in the thread do ^^

We're fuckin' kings and queens of wacky highways.

nielsm posted:

I don't think there's any three lane roads with free lane usage left in Denmark, but when there were some they were all outside cities (where you never have a one-way road), I'm not sure what kind of lane markers they used actually. The last few were being converted while I was taking my license and on the wrong land mass for taking a drive on them.
Today, all three lane roads are alternating between 1+2 and 2+1 lanes in each direction, with a "no crossing" double line separating the two directions.

This is something I hadn't considered, the fact that European roads simply don't take up as much space as US ones, and the vast majority of them are much smaller and thereby probably necessitate fewer markings in general.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Typically I get down like a clown for night time roadwork, it makes sense to be closing lanes when there's nobody on them.

But there's a bridge being rebuilt right around the corner from my apartment now. At night. Pissed is correct.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Turn it into a community-sized step aerobics center. They're big on things like public health in Japan right?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Growing up there I didn't think about it, but now that I've been on and around many college campuses, MSU was really easy to get around.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

smackfu posted:

BTW, sorry if I missed this, but did you get unfired now that SEBAC passed?

I was also curious in this regard, I hope you still have your position Cichlidae :ohdear:

If not then happy first day of retirement!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I dunno if this has been asked (because I've been reading this thread for 2.5 years now) before, but how important is symmetry in designing your traffic solutions? I mean, basically to the point where it's possible, are there measurable benefits to a piece of construction that is radially or laterally symmetrical?

I just notice a lot of things (like this picture above my post) that end up being symmetrical in a really beautiful way. When it comes to load bearing I know symmetry (or I guess chirality?) is helpful, does traffic optimization work out in the same way?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
OK that last 10 seconds is pretty phenomenal, thanks that's fascinating!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Hey I have a question that may have been visited earlier in the thread but gosh it's just so long now :allears:

What is the deal with the big dumb iron plates that are left in place for ~ a week on the road every now and then? Are they protecting a plug of concrete/asphalt while it cures?

One of the main cross streets here has just a horrific number of manhole covers and joints that are all screwed up, and it seems like there is a perpetual procession of these big iron plates in one place or another as the city tries to bandaid the problems (my god, just shut down the goddamn road already). They build up little ridges of asphalt around them to maybe try and protect against them popping tires with sharp edges, but I still cringe when I drive to class.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Chaos Motor posted:

Let me guess - Kansas City!

They do that because our water lines are so loving old that they know they're going to be out in 3 months to dig it back up and patch it again, so they just leave the trench open because it's easier than filling, paving, cutting, excavating, clearing, fixing, filling, and paving again 3 months later.

I'm actually in Columbia SC, but I recall them talking about doing water line work. It just seems like they basically move the plates up and down the street over a year's time period, never really finishing any one section.

Meanwhile the rest of the street falls into disrepair. It's incredibly aggravating.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
OK another question:

Driving up to Asheville this weekend we drove a stretch of maybe 3 miles of highway that had been resurfaced on both sides of the divider. The divider itself had been tore up slightly, but every 100 yards or so there was like... a raised cupola of grating, circular and maybe a yard across, that was covered in a fluorescent yellow tarp. I'm guessing these are like access grates to something? I tried to get a picture but we were moving too fast and I was on the wrong side of the car. Any ideas?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cichlidae posted:

Hmm, it's a bit hard to tell from your description, but I'm betting they're foundations for luminaires (better known as light poles). If they're not ready to pour the concrete yet, that grating could be the steel reinforcement that goes inside. That would match the size and explain why there's a tarp over the top (to keep rain out of the conduits).

This would make sense. It basically looked like a wireframe faucet handle on top of a small concrete base, whole assembly was maybe 2 feet tall, 3 wide and cylindrical. Interesting, I guess they're expanding the coverage of the lights a couple miles further towards the mountains. Thanks!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cichlidae posted:

My god, have song references infiltrated all aspects of our society?

I didn't even mention all the people I see with aftermarket blue fog lights. It used to get a chuckle out of me, but by now it's just sad.

He even got the lyrics wrong.

When I bought my car that has (legitimate) super bright headlights believe me I reveled in finally being That rear end in a top hat. Particularly because I've usually driven smaller cars that are low enough to the ground that SUV/Truck headlights are shining directly into my eyes.

Mine are also cool and adaptive :science:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
You get fined if you ride without your hands on the handlebars? :(

How do I show off my SIKK MOVES to my BMX bros??

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Elendil004 posted:

So far in my automotive exploration of Johannesburg, SA I have noted that these designers LOVE traffic circles and they really loving love speedbumps, both are everywhere.

ughhhh now imagine going around / over those things in a lovely custom top heavy field spec land rover and it's basically like My Trip To Gauteng in a nutshell.

As a question for Cichlidae, do you deal directly in any way with public feedback? What sort of systems are set up for Citizens Concerned About Traffic Engineering exist up there? Anything?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Knockknees posted:

From your article

So PROUD that the car was completely destroyed while the pole was just fine :downs:

No mention of the car's occupants. If they were REAL patriots they would have avoided the flagpole entirely.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cichlidae posted:

Oh, should I? I was planning on posting it here, just in case I run out of motivation. Don't want a howling swarm of goons after me for abandoning a bizarre adventure thread. Hell, I don't even know what forum it'd go in.

Edit: Tell ya what: I'll do a test run here. If I can keep it up, and people like it, we'll give the dedicated thread a shot.

When you do, put it in Traditional Games, the Games subforum. I might not play but I'll be reading :P

Edit: more accurately, put it in here, the Play by Post section of Trad Games.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Palatine Road is just the worst. I never understood what was going on while driving on it and the sheer weirdness of it has to present some sort of hazard as drivers puzzle their poo poo out. It's a shibboleth for Chicago area folks too :3:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cichlidae posted:

The professional road painters are really amazing to watch. It's a shame most of them work at 3 am to minimize traffic impacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmgice3ieZ4

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So apparently very few people know about the administration's new tack on recovery spending, the hideously-acronymed transportation bill released on Tuesday. Hasn't gotten much traction in the media although Time magazine had this article.

I think infrastructure spending is sexy :unsmith:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Peanut President posted:

It needs more pizzazz, how about some animated glitter?

To be fair I asked myself the same questions.

Percent of what? When? Devoid of context (which of course I assume you would have) those visuals don't really tell me anything.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
The Texas road projects cost less because they use (essentially) contracted slave labor. No pesky public unions either im guessing, and the LBJ corridor already exists so there's no eminent domain or land issues.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ConfusedUs posted:

Will this make it easier to get from 75 to 35E? Because the series of lovely interchanges you have to take to get from one to the other is truly something awful.

Also what's the story on why there's a 35E and 35W? Shouldn't one of them been like 635 or something?

The LBJ IS 635. It's the interstate loop a portion of which is under construction. Conveniently it's the portion that takes you from US 75 to I-35E.

The high five interchange pretty well dumps you smoothly into 635 going east (less so going west) under medium traffic conditions, it's the Dallas North Tollway that kicks you through a bunch of weird half-exits and overpasses to get you onto 635. That combined with the smooshed together local exits for surface roads off of 635 is what the project is working to help alleviate.

I am horribly pessimistic about the shithole that is Dallas in general, and the cul-de-sac concrete disaster that is Addison and the north suburbs in particular, so I don't think it's going to help much.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Varance posted:

Yes. People just want to drive fast, so they don't really care.

This is Florida. People are a fan of a market economy road system. Especially the suburbanites. Middle class doesn't care about the $10+ tolls, so long as rich people staying in the Lexus Lanes speeds up their commute in the free lanes.

What's that? You inner city types want better public transit? Pshaw, no. Bigger roads!

Holy poo poo :stare:

lanes for the lane god, concrete for the skull throne :black101:

For y'all goons who haven't been, NEVER GO to Orlando. It is the only place I've been in the country that is somehow worse than Dallas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Hedera Helix posted:

Is space at that much of a premium, there? :gonk:

As a dude who runs a hotel in that area, no, absolutely not. That place is a shithole.