Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I've driven through that one in Gateshead a few times. Two or three were deliberate, the rest were me coming back for another go to try and get the right exit. SatNav pretty much just gives up and says "you're on your own".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

If you like crazy near-future prototypes, this site has some nice ones. How about a truck you drive onto a railway? Or a giant bus that splits apart so you can make it diesel or electric by plugging a different drive section at the front?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

kefkafloyd posted:

This is all fascinating stuff. I just thought it hard to believe that such things would be difficult to do economically in mass-production automobiles.

My car has ESP, and that's a fairly low end 7 year old compact. I don't know how common it it in the states, but it's almost ubiquitous in Europe.

I think if we are going to see innovation along these lines it's likely to be in America though. Over here we'd be more likely to put money into improved public transport.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Plus you only have to look in one place to know if you're safe. As a European driving in America, I find your all-way stops loving terrifying.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The thing I find most interesting about that video is that most people are actually driving fairly sensibly, and then you get the occasional one (like the gold car at around 50 seconds in) who decides to be a complete cock, and just go wherever he wants, gently caress everyone else. I've never really understood that mindset - cars are big and scary, why wouldn't you be careful?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Neutrino posted:

It's the color of the aggregate. When an asphalt pavement starts to wear, the color of the aggregate becomes the main color. In most areas, the stone is a white/gray color but some areas of the country have a reddish stone and some use quartzite which can be purple.

Some of the older roads in the North-East of the UK are red for this reason. It's a bit odd when you first see it, but I think they look better than the black ones.

More than you ever really wanted to know here.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

As far as I understand it, the main advantage is that it's massively cheaper to build than actually putting rails down, and by leaving the guided sections you can go places (like through housing estates) that would be difficult to get a train.

I agree that they suck though. The UK needs more trams.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Sure. Would I be right in guessing that it just doesn't stop "weathering" in some circumstances?

KozmoNaut posted:

Based on my observations, about 75% or more of people just drive whatever speed they'd like, mostly 10-15kph above the speed limit, overtaking if necessary to maintain that speed. A small percentage will do the same, but will slow down and just match the speed of traffic ahead if it's somewhat close to the speed limit. It's anecdotal evidence, of course.

Another example is that all Danish motorways used to have a 110kph speed limit. Average speed if you remove governed trucks etc. from the equation was somewhere around 130kph. Since 2004, a number of motorway stretches have been 'upgraded' to a 130kph limit. The result was that the average speed on 110kph parts dropped to 120kph, while it stayed at 130kph on the 130kph parts.

Counterpoint: Germany. I would say that 90% of cars drive around 120-140 on the Autobahn, and the remaining 10% put the pedal to the floor and leave it there. It's a weird feeling to be passed by someone doing 120kph more than you when you're already over what feels like the natural motorway speed.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Update to the game chat a page or two ago - Cities in Motion is 75% off on Steam for the next 12 hours or so. I figure it's worth a punt at that price. They also have the expansion packs on sale, if you really really need funky looking coaches from the 50s.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The article was talking about putting a few in the back of police patrol cars and other council vehicles. They're supposed to pack down small and then get bigger when you add water.

Honestly, it all sounds like a complicated fix for something that could be easily sorted by just funding the transport system properly.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Looks like they made a sequel:

http://www.chroniclogic.com/bridgeit.htm

Or you could get the maximum nostalgia pack:

http://www.chroniclogic.com/bridgebundleorder.htm

There are also a couple of flash knockoffs that I know of:

http://www.gambrinousgames.com/games/cargo-bridge/
http://www.bubblebox.com/play/puzzle/1441.htm

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Maybe the answer is for people to stop building such stupidly big cruise ships? Just a thought.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I thought some people here might be interested in the current Indie Gala deal, which contains Bridge Constructor and Traffic Manager, among other things. They're probably terrible, but hey, they're cheap :)

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Cichlidae posted:

How to do a traffic analysis with VISSIM

It seems like VISSIM is getting more and more popular in my field. Each subsequent version gets a little bit easier to use, too. Maybe someday it'll even have a functional undo button.

Don't count on it. Adding undo to an existing piece of software is really, really hard to do well. I guess it's a bit like adding light rail to an existing city - you can do a token amount without too much trouble, but doing it properly without wrecking the whole place is a nightmare.

Of course, in urban planning you don't normally have the option of razing the whole place to the ground and starting again...

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Cichlidae posted:

You really shouldn't make any 6-way intersections, because accident frequency increases exponentially with the number of legs.

The solution is obviously roundabouts.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

So ... they didn't just buy the ones that places like Switzerland have been using for decades then?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

So, I regularly have to drive through this clusterfuck.

It's actually not too bad in terms of flow through the junction (except for people who want to go A34(S) to A303(E)), but there are regular accidents. All the minor roads randomly stuck in there don't help, and neither do the steep gradients (not easy to see, but the A30 goes under the A34, so you go through the height of two road bridges in about 500 feet going through the A303 exits). How would you go about fixing this?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Jonnty posted:

They're not reflective apaprently - reflective ones are, at least in the UK, called cat's eyes.

Yeah, in the UK they're installed on virtually every road with more than a single lane, including multicoloured ones on motorways to show exits and lane dividers. They're amazing in low light conditions and I'm not sure how I'd survive without them, although I do wonder sometimes if they're doing any damage to my tyres.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It's allowed in Germany, although only at some junctions and they're signposted pretty clearly.

http://www.fulda.de/?id=1698

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I would say it's true in the UK, for a moderately strict definition of city. Probably less so in places like Germany, which didn't really settle down to having fixed settlements until well after the fall of Rome.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Install Gentoo posted:

I've never really understood what problem those are meant to solve in low traffic areas. I think the roads departments probably just like to paint 'em.

I think it's because there's no default behaviour for an unmarked junction in the UK - or at least there probably is, but no-one knows what it is. Hence, roundabouts everywhere.

That's not even a particularly bad one. This one near me is at the entrance to an industrial park, so huge delivery lorries go through it every day. You can't really tell from the image, but the camber is totally hosed.

edit: Obligatory Milton Keynes comedy roundabout.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 2, 2013

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yep, this is what a similar situation looks like in the UK:

http://goo.gl/jsj79G

It's slightly more complicated because there's another road on the other side, but you get the idea. It's totally common on dual carriageways (i.e. not Motorway standard roads, but still multi-lane and high volume) with small side roads.

e: Hi there, A303 buddy.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Most of those areas look like they would have pedestrian islands (either raised or painted on) in the UK, for whatever that's worth. We don't plow much over here though, it's all salt.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Munich is planning to move one of its concentric ring roads entirely underground - they already did a large portion a decade or so back. I don't know if you'd count it as a US-style freeway, but it has entry/exit ramps and few if any signals, at least on the underground portions. There's some stuff about it on German Wikipedia here:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundesstra%C3%9Fe_2_R

You can see all the Autobahnen terminate at the ring road, with smaller roads going into the centre.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It's common in Iceland (because they have fucktons of hot water and steam coming out of the ground, so why not). I believe it's catching on in Germany too, mostly using geothermal or CHP plants to pipe hot water around.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Just a quick reminder that anyone who isn't already should probably keep an eye on Citybound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tFPppvpDzE

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yeah, that is pretty much the standard in the UK. Paint a circle in the middle, done.

Also, this is the solution to offset junctions:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

You're talking about Slip Coaches. Which you would know about if you watched more Thomas the Tank Engine :colbert:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/21m2qm/cool_crosswalk_design_in_kyrgyzstan/

Kyrgyzstan, apparently.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

One thing I noticed in last winter's flooding in the UK was that a lot of the crappy patches that had been put over potholes were lifted up by the flood, leaving a combination of giant holes in the road and piles of soggy tarmac all over the place. Made for some fun driving.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

kefkafloyd posted:

There's two rail lines in Middletown, one is the Providence and Worcester (which crosses the old swing bridge a little bit up the road) which heads east-west to Portland and to Pratt & Whitney and still sees active service. The other is the Valley line, which is the one depicted in the image. The track goes from Hartford to Old Saybrook but there are considerable parts out-of-service in the area of Middletown. The Valley line excursions don't go up to MIddletown and neither do the freights. But it is landbanked by the state, so theoretically there could be more demand there... but I doubt it.

I've never seen a rail line cross a rotary at-grade before so I have no idea what they would do.

Probably just shut down the whole thing while a train is passing. If the line is only used occasionally I don't imagine it would be a huge problem.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

John Dough posted:

Didn't know pigeons could do 100km/h :stare:

140km/h in bursts according to pigeon racers, more like 100km/h according to scientists. Apparently it's a very controversial subject.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

If you idiots have to argue with fishmech, please don't quote him. TIA.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

They use roundabouts a lot in the UK when new developments go in next to major roads. I think it's partially a default preference for roundabouts here, and partially to do with traffic flow. If a lot of cars are trying to turn across traffic at once (say when everyone heads home in the evening) it can cause slowdown at a regular junction. With a roundabout the turning traffic effectively has priority, so it's not an issue. It doesn't help people leaving the development, but I guess that's not the traffic planners' problem.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

the undesirable element is black people

I don't know if this is still the case, but Salford University in the UK used to have the opposite system. It is (or was, this was years ago) in a pretty poor area, and there's a huge fence around the whole place. There's a train station on campus which lets you get from the centre to the university without having to set foot in the surrounding area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hey traffic enthusiasts!

Is there an English word for an unmarked pedestrian crossing?

Example in the UK:

Decidedly not a zebra crossing (no stripes), nor a pelican/pelicon crossing (no signal).

I suspect that the pictured design means "please cross here, but take care because motorists have right-of-way".

Since it's in use in the UK, I assume there must be a term for it, but the Wikipedia article on "pedestrian crossing" doesn't seem to mention this type, it only seems to discuss crossing where the pedestrian has right-of-way.

I see these all over the place in Scandinavia, where they often narrow the road by curb extensions, and/or add bollards for the vision impaired to find them easier.

There's no word for it in the UK because almost all of the road junctions in a residential area will look like that. Smaller roads have a simple ramp with the textured and coloured concrete slab, bigger ones get the central island.